What's The Big Deal About Soi Bukhao

PattayaOneTeam

Above Bawd in Pattaya

What’s the Big Deal with Soi Bukhao? (Part 1)

I have to admit I like Soi Bukhao. It used to be a white elephant but it’s an increasingly important area of Pattaya, with a rosy future ahead of it.

Often I find myself strolling down there of a daytime wondering why so many people hate it, admittedly as I leap out of the way of speeding baht buses, with no pavement to offer me sanctuary.

However I do notice on market days the bars fill up with people who look like they know how to handle a bottle of Chang, from a lifetime of experience, but hey, this is Pattaya.

Whenever I have been down the Soi at night I haven’t seen anything particularly lewd, offensive or objectionable either (this being Pattaya), so I really needed an answer to what Pattaya’s internet posters’ big problem is with the place, cruelly dubbed “The English Patient”, on account of the number of British welfare benefit claimants who allegedly hang out there.

Forum posters frequently get worked up about Soi Bukhao, how it’s spelt (I’m using my own spelling here) and whether it actually exists at all (?), so I endeavoured to find out what all the fuss was about by reviewing Thai Visa’s threads: “Soi Bukhao Likes and Dislikes?” “And Does Soi Bukhao Actually Exist?”

About spelling, I am always surprised by the variations on the name. Buakhaow, Buakao, Buakow, Bukhao, BuaKhao, Bua Khao, Bukhaow, Buckaow, and many others are used by posters, so it was perhaps reasonable for andyww to comment: The street seems to be a virtual soi which only exists on internet forums.

Musongman believe not only did it exist, but it is the dirtiest, noisiest, most undesirable, traffic-congested address in all of Pattaya.

Not so, Charlie1968 countered: good soi, everything you need; nice hotels, plenty of choice for food and drink, all for a reasonable price, and not too far to walk to the beach.

And there we could probably leave it, as many posts, for and against, are a variation of the above.

But where would be the fun be in that? Usually the disagreements about Soi Bukhao become quickly, irrationally and enjoyably heated, so I decided to plough on through the absorbing “likes and dislikes” thread. [More…]

To read the rest of this article download the PDF here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/download/664-pattaya-one-issue-7/

Enjoyed this article? Why not go to our poll and vote for it at:

gallery_327_1086_2603.gif

-- Pattaya One 2011-01-06