No Chicken Fried Steak Or Fish & Chips

ThePunPun

This may be of some interest to some others out there, other than myself , of course.

I had a visit from an old customer this afternoon. An old customer meaning very nice couple [italians] , living in Germany, who were guests at The Pun Pun, 25 years ago, in 1985. It was apparently a trip down meory lane for them.

We had a very pleasant talk about the thens and nows , changes etc.

Upon leaving they gave me the business card that they received 25 years ago. It shows the normal things as business cards do but on the back was a map ot the then Chiang Mai. I was suprised to see how some things have changed, some things have relocated in just 25 years. It may be of some interest to some of the old timers out there. One thing is the India Consulate. I know now that it has had at least 4 different locations over the years. The bridge by me [Rama IX Bridge ] is not there either.

.....and The Pun Pun did not serve 'Chicken Fried Steak or Fish & Chips in those days, and the prices , I would say are not skyrocketing, as the room rates have only gone up approx 4-fold in 25 years. Not 25% in one month.....

Don't mean to bore anyone, but maybe some would have some interest in the old map.

Gonzo

post-108940-0-79879700-1294401744_thumb.

post-108940-0-09870100-1294401770_thumb.

Wow, that's amazing after all these years that your friends still had that card and even had it with them during their visit! I was introduced to this wondeful city about that time and have also witness the changes over the years. I'm all for growth and advancements but still feel uneasy with it's westernization (is that a word?) There aren't many places left on this planet like Chiang Mai and it's changing too fast.

That was truly a trip down memory lane. And seeing how quickly restaurants disappear, move to another location or change owners and name it is also remarkable that these visitors were able to find the Pun Pun still operating and at the same location.

That was truly a trip down memory lane. And seeing how quickly restaurants disappear, move to another location or change owners and name it is also remarkable that these visitors were able to find the Pun Pun still operating and at the same location.

Miracles do happen.....or maybe I'm just a stick in the mud and too stuborn to know when to hold em or fold em.

Besides if I fold em, I'd have to pick on TV Members by writing rather than pick on em and give em a hard time when they come in

:D

.... Maestro, if you would please delete the second or latter post on the same topic,,,,, posted in error. tnx

//Edit: Done - Maestro

Edited by Maestro
Deleted duplicate post as suggested.

Miracles do happen.....or maybe I'm just a stick in the mud and too stuborn to know when to hold em or fold em.

Besides if I fold em, I'd have to pick on TV Members by writing rather than pick on em and give em a hard time when they come in

:D

.... Maestro, if you would please delete the second or latter post on the same topic,,,,, posted in error. tnx

ditto for me please, wasn't there a minute ago. strange.

the pun pun

re ... One thing is the India Consulate. I know now that it has had at least 4 different locations over the years

they stopped moving ! ... youll be happy to know the indian consulate has been here ( green arrow ) since march 06 and still is today.

enjoy ... dave2

Interesting to see the site of the historic old British Consulate, Scandously sold off by Maggie Thatcher and now part of the Chedi Hotel. Several wonderful books were writtten there or thereabouts: W.A.R Wood's 'Consul in Paradise' more latterly Jon Swains; 'River of Time' and just down the road, Francois Bizot's great book about the Indo China conflict "The Gate'. I'm sure others could name several more!

An interesting little artefact Gonzo, I hopey ou hang on to it!