Flying From The Us In 2006?

The_Moog

WHY ?????

Because these two airlines are the most likely to go into Chapter 11 under the current fuel price scenario, and the ability to redeem accrued airmiles may be uncertain.

Most US airlines are in chapter 11 or headed into it. It will not change anything re FF miles. As a matter of fact, going into bankruptcy will eliminate most of the debt and the airline will emerge stronger. It will eliminate lots of pension expenses also. Nothing happened with United or USAir miles when they filed. Delta probably will be next.

Sorry; yes you're quite right, under Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, obligations would be honoured.

If it files however under Chapter 7, (which is a more extreme scenario), then the prognosis is more gloomy.

Oh yes, chaper 7 is liquidation. I honestly feel that most airlines want to go into chapter 11 to eliminate their obligations and kind of start over.

Also remember you can combine Northwest, Delta and Continental miles and use miles for each others flights.

I have 2 bussiness class tickets to BKK in feb 2006. They cost me 240,000 miles. I have the reciept from Northwest showing this. I guess what I am trying to say is that they are paid for in air miles. As long as they don't file chapter 7 Do I have anything else to worry about ?

PKG :o

I have 2 bussiness class tickets  to BKK in feb 2006. They cost me 240,000 miles. I have the reciept from Northwest showing this. I guess what I am trying to say is that they are paid for in air miles.  As long as they don't file chapter 7 Do I have anything else to worry about ?

They will not file chapter 7, and your tix are ok. Even if they do file chapter 11, which only means reorganization, I do not believe anything will change, except for the airline in that they will eliminate all their debt.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Padkapow Guy

As you may already have heard in media reports, Northwest Airlines® has voluntarily filed for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. The bankruptcy process will enable Northwest to continue its transformation into a new-era carrier in keeping with the permanent changes that have affected the airline industry, such as rising labor costs and a doubling of fuel prices over the past two years.

Because we value your business and proven loyalty, I am writing to assure you that there will be no impact on the WorldPerks® program as a result of the filing. Frequent flyer mileage accrual, redemption, and Elite benefits will remain unchanged. Members will continue to earn and redeem miles according to the current WorldPerks program guidelines.

The bankruptcy filing will not impact Northwest’s day-to-day business operations. We remain committed to serving customers, honoring tickets, flying a competitive schedule safely and reliably, maintaining our WorldClubs® lounge program, and all other programs and services.

All bookings will be honored, and ticketing policies remain unchanged. Our existing marketing relationships with other airlines remain in place.

The decision to file for bankruptcy protection is not related to the current strike by members of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA). Our operation continues to run well and we have experienced no adverse impact on our operational performance as a result of the work stoppage.

Customers can continue to book travel on Northwest Airlines with confidence. Although bankruptcy is never a first choice option, it does provide the most prudent means for a restructuring that will ensure the transformation of Northwest into a new-era carrier that is able to compete in the near term and well into the future.

Thank you for your continued support of Northwest Airlines. For more information about Northwest’s transformation, please visit nwa.com®.

We look forward to continuing to earn your business by providing the outstanding service you deserve.

Sincerely,

Doug Steenland

President and CEO

Northwest Airlines, Inc

This makes me breathe a little easier