Red Shirts Setting Back Up For A Long Gathering Again?

jdinasia

The Reds have blocked off the street behind Wat Phra Singh again. A stage has been set up and it looks as if they are already wiring the amplifiers. I thought the word was out .. "no more prolonged rallies that affect local citizenry", but perhaps I was mistaken :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where this quote comes from

"no more prolonged rallies that affect local citizenry",

but as millwall says democratic rallies by any faction wanting to express their views is acceptable in most democracies

are you suggesting free speech should be blocked?

As far as I know, there are some activities planned around there for Children's Day. Hope this calms some particularly jittery people's fears.

Since he apparently lives near enough to the area that he may complain about noise, perhaps the OP should lower himself enough to go and ask them what they are doing?

Edited by hanuman1

I think the only reason for foreigners to follow these reports is so we know what roads to avoid during they demonstrations. We don't have a vote and our opinion really doesn't matter. I think it's best to respect both sides opinion and just stay out of it.

With two of their members recently executed their feelings could be running high. The government knows it can get away with murder without any real international condemnation, so it'll be interesting to see whether this protest is nipped in the bud or allowed to fester into a large cankerous sore as before.

I think the only reason for foreigners to follow these reports is so we know what roads to avoid during they demonstrations. We don't have a vote and our opinion really doesn't matter. I think it's best to respect both sides opinion and just stay out of it.

Spot On :thumbsup:

but as millwall says democratic rallies by any faction wanting to express their views is acceptable in most democracies

Can't answer for the poster, maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but shutting down a public thoroughfare, street or road should be prohibited.

Can't answer for the poster, maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but shutting down a public thoroughfare, street or road should be prohibited.

Closing some roads for demonstrations is common and sensible practice in the west ( uk and states) - though kettling needs to be reviewed

Flames, responses to flames, totally off topic inflammatory posts and more of the same BS that can be found in the News clippings has been deleted. Please keep your rhetoric to yourself, thanks.

This thread is about CHIANG MAI and current possible demonstrations in CHIANG MAI.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes! I will second that also. We are after all, guest in Thailand. :)

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Perhaps we (expats) can be grateful that the demonstrations (if that's what they are going to be) in Chang Mai are starting after the peak tourist season, and on the verge of the re-emergence of the great Solar Engine that soon will roast us all, and then, in the next months, will be followed by the pollution of burning, burning, burning, and dry, dry, dry ?

Perhaps we can be grateful it's near Wat Phra Singh, and not in Thapae Gate, or the Night Bazaar (except of course if you live near Wat Phra Singh) ?

Just hope there's no violence, given all the tensions "swept under the rug."

best, ~o:37;

Closing some roads for demonstrations is common and sensible practice in the west ( uk and states) - though kettling needs to be reviewed

Prolonged shutdowns of public roads aren't normal in ANY western country that I know of (particularly for adherents to a particularly violent faction of a group that uses violence and threats of violence to get their way).

Someone questioned "free speech" --- should we point to Arisaman's call for the redshirts to bring empty bottles to fill with petrol to burn BKK down as an example of "free speech" that caf deems acceptable?

I ride through the area around Wat Phra Singh on a daily basis. So yes I object to a prolonged closure. If, it happens to have been just for children's day, then why set up he night before blocking traffic from 9pm?

As for Millwell fan's rhethoric and assumptions ... (oh well!) perhaps they could choose to close Loi Kroh rd instead?

Edited by jdinasia

Is this the same group that threaten with gay bashing at the cancelled pride march in CM last year? :unsure:

Yes.

The same group that has people from here in CNX that have confessed to grenade attacks. (here and in BKK)

Prolonged shutdowns of public roads aren't normal in ANY western country that I know of (particularly for adherents to a particularly violent faction of a group that uses violence and threats of violence to get their way).

Someone questioned "free speech" --- should we point to Arisaman's call for the redshirts to bring empty bottles to fill with petrol to burn BKK down as an example of "free speech" that caf deems acceptable?

I ride through the area around Wat Phra Singh on a daily basis. So yes I object to a prolonged closure. If, it happens to have been just for children's day, then why set up he night before blocking traffic from 9pm?

As for Millwell fan's rhethoric and assumptions ... (oh well!) perhaps they could choose to close Loi Kroh rd instead?

Depends what is defined as prolonged. You seem a bit out of touch quite frankly. The students demonstration in London was longer and spread further than the present road closure; and I could give further examples.

But why let facts get in the way of a good argument

And for the record I did not deem bringing empty bottles to fill with petrol as an example of free speech. Someone's imagination is running a little wild, methinks

You say " we do have the rite to post our opinion " but then go on to imply that chiangmai demonstrators have no right to demonstrate

" To block roads for days " actually not so.

And the perfectly legal demonstration was peaceful. Your talk of " so called peace protesters with a history of bringing death and fire with them" is pure incitement. Why not stick with the facts

Previous posts and posters have referred to democracy and free speech, so it is perfectly proper to compare with the west, paericularly as that point had ben raised.

"Besides when it is done in western countries it is a result of illegal actions and dealt with accordingly." Again, not true. The London Student demonstrations were legal and roads were closed for security and safety reasons.

"But to block roads for days ahead of time" Exaggeration.

" And for the life of me I can not figure out why a Farong would defend there rite to do it." Probably because we respect their right to demonstrate, which is allowed under Thai law

May be you just arrived and do not remember what really happened before. The 'reds' (later without red shirt so they could create even more problems anonymously), closed that road (and sometimes adjacent roads) for almost a YEAR!

All day and night long they were shouting from the stage how to burn Bangkok and Chiang Mai(they did it later), how to kill people not agreeing with them (they did it later)and how to make as many huge problems as possible (they did it later). All day and night long really hatred and sickening dangerous speeches to bring one convicted and dangerous man on the run back here.

We all witnessed the sad results. If you don't know about it; I suggest you to find some videos on YouTube, if still there. Most of them were removed to clean Thailand's image a bit. Another suggestion would be to learn Thai so you know what they talking about and not look at the smile only. They have a different culture and education and a Thai smile is NOT the same as a farang smile. A Thai smile is much more like something friendly; it has many more meanings and can go from being ashamed over something to hide or doing wrong to really evil things . Listen to them to understand, not only look at them.

In every civilized country those disgusting speeches on the stage would not last more than 1 day. It had NOTHING to do with freedom of speech but all with power, money and corruption by some people. Many 'reds' were pushed to do it and all got paid to participate.

May be you just arrived and do not remember what really happened before. The 'reds' (later without red shirt so they could create even more problems anonymously), closed that road (and sometimes adjacent roads) for almost a YEAR!

All day and night long they were shouting from the stage how to burn Bangkok and Chiang Mai(they did it later), how to kill people not agreeing with them (they did it later)and how to make as many huge problems as possible (they did it later). All day and night long really hatred and sickening dangerous speeches to bring one convicted and dangerous man on the run back here.

We all witnessed the sad results. If you don't know about it; I suggest you to find some videos on YouTube, if still there. Most of them were removed to clean Thailand's image a bit. Another suggestion would be to learn Thai so you know what they talking about and not look at the smile only. They have a different culture and education and a Thai smile is NOT the same as a farang smile. A Thai smile is much more like something friendly; it has many more meanings and can go from being ashamed over something to hide or doing wrong to really evil things . Listen to them to understand, not only look at them.

In every civilized country those disgusting speeches on the stage would not last more than 1 day. It had NOTHING to do with freedom of speech but all with power, money and corruption by some people. Many 'reds' were pushed to do it and all got paid to participate.

Nice to see a poster that really understands what is going on. Spot on.

No, I have not just arrived. But I think you need to check your sources. There is also a lot of exaggeration and personal bias it seems in your post. And some of your facts are just plain wrong and have no support. I have highlighted it. Hardly objective views of the facts.

You are right about the Thai smile, though hardly relevant to this thread; and I agree that understanding Thai is important but that does not mean those who don't speak Thai are not aware of what is going on in conversations or the press. Or in fact that they believe everything they hear or is printed.

Another inciting post. There is no news of any major problem yesterday resulting from the people's right under Thai law to demonstrate.

AS sbk said in a post above " This thread is about CHIANG MAI and current possible demonstrations in CHIANG MAI.

There were no major problems during the demonstration. Pingandsing is just spouting the same mainly unfounded propaganda and is nothing to do with the Chiangmai demonstration

( I had thought of writing my response to him in Thai to counter his cheap point on not understanding what is going on but did not do so as (1) responding to a cheap point is not goodf style, (2) writing Thai in this forum is not acceptable and (3) it is important that ALL members can see the illogic of his post.

caf

AS sbk said in a post above " This thread is about CHIANG MAI and current possible demonstrations in CHIANG MAI.

There were no major problems during the demonstration. Pingandsing is just spouting the same mainly unfounded propaganda and is nothing to do with the Chiangmai demonstration

( I had thought of writing my response to him in Thai to counter his cheap point on not understanding what is going on but did not do so as (1) responding to a cheap point is not goodf style, (2) writing Thai in this forum is not acceptable and (3) it is important that ALL members can see the illogic of his post.

caf

Have you notified the fire department that there fire engine did not really burn up. And please notify the shopping malls that there never was a threat of burning them down.

You red shirt lovers ramble on about rights while you abuse other peoples rites. There has been no demonstrations just streets closed off so you can have one at your convenience. Nobody else s inconvenience matters to you. They have no rites as far as you people are concerned.:(