Rugby Football Club On Koh Samui

A few Rugby enthusiasts met tonight at The Office in Bangrak with the intention of starting a Rugby Football Club up on Samui.

The initial goal is to get the youngsters on Samui involved in the sport. (Through the schools etc?)

Who knows where this might lead? Maybe a rugby team for the island, or even a Vets team?

Is there anyone out there who is interested? Willing to help? Has done this before? Knows of venues where we can set up training etc etc etc.

We are in the very early stages, and so there is much fact gathering going on. Not much to tell yet.

Rugby Football?

Do you mean just Rugby??? , as in the English Game?, or is Rugby Football an Australian Game???

Anyhow , I would think the Ground is to Rough here to play Rugby, unless you had a very well kept soft Lawn.... ( otherwise you would be cut to shreds )

What would be good those is to Start a Cricket Club, they have a western Thailand League, as i used to play a bit in Phuket with the Phuket Team .....

Rugby Football?

Do you mean just Rugby??? , as in the English Game?, or is Rugby Football an Australian Game???

Anyhow , I would think the Ground is to Rough here to play Rugby, unless you had a very well kept soft Lawn.... ( otherwise you would be cut to shreds )

What would be good those is to Start a Cricket Club, they have a western Thailand League, as i used to play a bit in Phuket with the Phuket Team .....

Cricket has seen a surge in popularity over recent weeks........well in England anyway. ;):lol:

Rugby Football?

The name is always a tricky one.

The youngsters among you are swayed by the TV and the endless, monotonous naming of Soccer as "football". The gentleman's game is and always was "Rugby Football". As English as muffins. (Rugby is a place. The RFU is the Rugby Football Union.)

Soccer - is Association Football. (It is still called Soccer by those of us over a certain age, the Americans, the Australians and lots of other countries.

Football to the Yanks is American Football. Similar ball as rugby football, but they wear armor so as not to get hurt.

In Oz, football is Australian Rules Football

Then there is the other Rugby - Rugby League. (Two Rugby's plus the town and the school. Confused?

So, there we have a bit of history on naming conventions.

Back to the plot.

Yes, playing on a nice soft lawn would be nice, but rugby players will play anywhere.

For the youngsters, it starts with tag rugby. Again, it can be played anywhere.The youngsters are the priority at this stage.

Have to agree with Boater on this one. Any pitch here is going to be far too hard and dry for diving about on. Maybe you could introduce beach rugby to the island ? ;)

Good idea for the old 'uns but the first priority is the kids. Tag style. Any soccer pitch will do (if we had one on the island).

By the way - Samui played rugby against Phuket and others, in Phuket a few years back. Their pitch would be no different to one here. It's been done before and rugby teams are still playing all over Thailand.

I would be very keen to try and help out We currently have a very keen teacher coaching tag rugby to a small number of students at the school and I would very much like to be able to develop it further. We have a strong after school football club and hope to do the same with hockey, quick cricket and rugby in the near future.

Please feel free to pop into the school anytime for a coffee and a chat to see how we can take this further or just pm me.

Jeremy Lees

International School of Samui (formerly Bluewater)

I would be very keen to try and help out We currently have a very keen teacher coaching tag rugby to a small number of students at the school and I would very much like to be able to develop it further. We have a strong after school football club and hope to do the same with hockey, quick cricket and rugby in the near future.

Please feel free to pop into the school anytime for a coffee and a chat to see how we can take this further or just pm me.

Jeremy Lees

International School of Samui (formerly Bluewater)

Hi Jeremy

do you have cricket facilities at your school IE a proper cricket pitch layout and training nets???

thanks

Boaterjap.gif

Hi Jeremy

do you have cricket facilities at your school IE a proper cricket pitch layout and training nets???

thanks

Boaterjap.gif

Samui cricket league?

My money is on the Indian tailor team.

i think a samui cricket club / League would go down well,

but i would be a bit worried about the Indian Tailor Team Those rolleyes.gif

Have to agree with Boater on this one. Any pitch here is going to be far too hard and dry for diving about on. Maybe you could introduce beach rugby to the island ? ;)

To be fair they have just had a rugby tournament up here in CM and the ground was rock hard, i couldn't understand why they didn't water it before hand.

Anyway some ruskies won ;).

ttp://www.chiangmairugbytens.com/photo.php?view=15

I have an original Donald Bradman bat, signed by him. I could use it if I have to I suppose, it does magic things.

I'm surprised you were not asked to come back and give your countrymen a helping hand. :lol:

Q What do you call an Aussie with100 to his name?

A A bowler

:lol:

Edited by carmine

I have an original Donald Bradman bat, signed by him. I could use it if I have to I suppose, it does magic things.

I'm surprised you were not asked to come back and give your countrymen a helping hand. :lol:

A A bowler

Keep it up Carmine, many other innovative uses for a cricket bat. :D

A A bowler

Keep it up Carmine, many other innovative uses for a cricket bat. :D

Back on Topic ...... laugh.gif

so anyone up for starting a Samui Cricket Club then... to be played on a Sunday ???? ... Rooo can provide the refreshments whistling.gif

so anyone up for starting a Samui Cricket Club then... to be played on a Sunday ???? ... Rooo can provide the refreshments whistling.gif

Post a note at Indie Mart in Soi Haad Ngam and there will be Indian Tailors there taking measurements for your outfit.india-smile-flag.gif

Post a note at Indie Mart in Soi Haad Ngam and there will be Indian Tailors there taking measurements for your outfit.india-smile-flag.gif

India Mart ? ,,,, where is Soi Haad Ngam?

India Mart ? ,,,, where is Soi Haad Ngam?

They sell all Indian spices and rent out bollywood movies.

Ever time I go there to by spices they are looking at Indian pro cricket.

is that along the same road as where Kush Bar used to be??? ...... ( you turn off at the monkey temple )

I love this quote:

"Yes, playing on a nice soft lawn would be nice, but rugby players will play anywhere."

Just about sums up Rugby players LOL. Gotta love the spirt of it all.

Having said that, if you find a playing surface such as a football field or whatever, you just need a few guys to hose down the pitch. a couple of hours hosing 12 hours before the game and a couple more hours hosing 2 hours before the game. That would be sound enough.

I love this quote:

"Yes, playing on a nice soft lawn would be nice, but rugby players will play anywhere."

Just about sums up Rugby players LOL. Gotta love the spirt of it all.

Having said that, if you find a playing surface such as a football field or whatever, you just need a few guys to hose down the pitch. a couple of hours hosing 12 hours before the game and a couple more hours hosing 2 hours before the game. That would be sound enough.

Great idea. Next time I've got no water for a shower, I'll think of you!:whistling:

There is plenty of rugby played in Thailand.

Regular tournaments from age-grade kids through to veterans. Chiang Mai last November, Bangkok next month. Phuket hosts the 13th annual 10s tournament in May.

Thailand had men's and women's sevens teams at the recent SE Asia Games.

Website http://www.rugbyinasia.com/ has info and links you may find useful. Phuket has a strong schoolboys development team, Lomas, who compete nationwide in tournaments.

As for the grounds - no worse/harder than those found in Fiji, Samoa, SA.

http://www.rugbyinasia.com/thailand/history.php

Thailand played their first ever rugby international in 1970, losing to Japan and have been attempting to qualify for the Rugby World Cup since 1999, but have failed at each attempt. However despite its fledgling status, Thai Women’s rugby has progressed rapidly since 2000 with the national team qualifying for the inaugural Women’s Rugby World Cup in Dubai in March 2009. In the bowl competition the Thai team failed to win a match, yet had beaten eventual winners China, in the elimination tournament held in Hong Kong only a month before.

Thailand was a founding or core member of the Asian Rugby Football Union (ARFU), and is now competing in the HSBC Asian Five Nations (A5N) tournament which is the flagship of Asian rugby with four newly formed tiers of elite competition across all 26 Asian Rugby Unions with promotion and relegation opportunities between divisions for all participating teams. Thailand competed in the 2nd tier in 2009.

Today outside the ARFU tournaments, Thai men and women rugby players are gaining much needed experience against international teams from across the world via tournaments such as the Bangkok Sevens and Bangkok Tens and will continue to push for promotion to the ‘Top 5’ A5N tier and future qualification in the Rugby World Cup.

There is plenty of rugby played in Thailand.

Regular tournaments from age-grade kids through to veterans. Chiang Mai last November, Bangkok next month. Phuket hosts the 13th annual 10s tournament in May.

Thailand had men's and women's sevens teams at the recent SE Asia Games.

Website http://www.rugbyinasia.com/ has info and links you may find useful. Phuket has a strong schoolboys development team, Lomas, who compete nationwide in tournaments.

As for the grounds - no worse/harder than those found in Fiji, Samoa, SA.

http://www.rugbyinas...and/history.php

Thailand played their first ever rugby international in 1970, losing to Japan and have been attempting to qualify for the Rugby World Cup since 1999, but have failed at each attempt. However despite its fledgling status, Thai Women's rugby has progressed rapidly since 2000 with the national team qualifying for the inaugural Women's Rugby World Cup in Dubai in March 2009. In the bowl competition the Thai team failed to win a match, yet had beaten eventual winners China, in the elimination tournament held in Hong Kong only a month before.

Thailand was a founding or core member of the Asian Rugby Football Union (ARFU), and is now competing in the HSBC Asian Five Nations (A5N) tournament which is the flagship of Asian rugby with four newly formed tiers of elite competition across all 26 Asian Rugby Unions with promotion and relegation opportunities between divisions for all participating teams. Thailand competed in the 2nd tier in 2009.

Today outside the ARFU tournaments, Thai men and women rugby players are gaining much needed experience against international teams from across the world via tournaments such as the Bangkok Sevens and Bangkok Tens and will continue to push for promotion to the 'Top 5' A5N tier and future qualification in the Rugby World Cup.

Well said :thumbsup:

Hi,

I've just quickly scanned down as have kid jumping all over me. We are moving to Samui in Feb and I know my husband would be very interested in a rugby club. He has played in Egypt, Kuwait and in Bahrain (although now with the vets team - hee hee). I know that in Kuwait they played on hard sand, which wasn't pleasant but they did water the pitch before a game. Bahrain has a lovely new astroturf pitch, so he has become used to being a little spoilt! I will tell him to look up the thread on Thai visa and get in touch with you

Sara

• 1 month later...