Slow Cooker

SKguy

Could anyone please let me know where in Chiang Mai I could buy a slow cooker? I have so far found one only and it was small, maybe about 6 or 7" in diameter. I would like to buy one similar to that I use in England, which is probably about 15 inches in diameter. Thanks in anticipation.....

The smaller and medium sizes are all that I have found. Robinson at Airport plaza has a few models. The large ones I haven't seen. They are about 1500 baht for the medium 10 inch ones.

FYI a rice cooker can slow cook beans and soup just like a crock pot. Not quite as good because you should keep an eye on it more often, but better than nothing for a temporary fix.

• Like 1

siam tv has some but the biggest is only about 9 / 10 ? inches in diameter

dave2

ps ... i wonder if they will have a first anniversary sale soon ?

I was wondering if you could not ask Robinson or Siam city to order a large one for you.

When a person says slow cooker I think of a crock pot. Am I rite.:huh:

About slow cookers and fast cookers, I was at few McDonals in Bangkok where on every counter is a countdown timer, when you need to wait longer then 30 seconds before receiving your order it's for free (but never saw that happen !) At most Mc Donalds in Chiang Mai (carrefour is real terrible) they easy let you wait for 20 minutes for your side order. Not the first time I asked my money back and left. I prefer fast cookers.

I saw at least one in a supermarket the other day.. Maybe 12 inch or so and at about 1200 - 1500 baht.. Red thing it was.

I hate to be vague but it was either the carrefore on the eastern ring or the Big C at the San Kampeang side (possibly the Big C hang dong as I have been in that in the week but I dont think it was).

Sorry to be vague, I only remember seeing it but not 100% sure on which one as I wasnt looking for one.. If I had to bet it would be Big C San Kampeang side.

dave2

I was wondering if you could not ask Robinson or Siam city to order a large one for you.

When a person says slow cooker I think of a crock pot. Am I rite.:huh:

Yes jayjay, its a crock pot that I have in England. Thanks for the suggestion which is one I will follow up.

I saw at least one in a supermarket the other day.. Maybe 12 inch or so and at about 1200 - 1500 baht.. Red thing it was.

I hate to be vague but it was either the carrefore on the eastern ring or the Big C at the San Kampeang side (possibly the Big C hang dong as I have been in that in the week but I dont think it was).

Sorry to be vague, I only remember seeing it but not 100% sure on which one as I wasnt looking for one.. If I had to bet it would be Big C San Kampeang side.

Thanks for that, but I had no luck with the Big C Sankamphaeng side........many items that looked like slow cookers but apparently weren't!

The smaller and medium sizes are all that I have found. Robinson at Airport plaza has a few models. The large ones I haven't seen. They are about 1500 baht for the medium 10 inch ones.

FYI a rice cooker can slow cook beans and soup just like a crock pot. Not quite as good because you should keep an eye on it more often, but better than nothing for a temporary fix.

Thanks, I will have a look in Robinsons, Airport Plaza

dave2

thanks Dave, I did look in Siam tv, but the diameter was a bit too small for my purpose

• 1 year later...

I have been looking for a crockpot also in Pattaya. I did find a decent one at the Big C here. It is fairly large and is all brown. It has the ceramic bowl inside the metal pan which allows you to take it out and clean it. Very convenient.

dave2

thanks Dave, I did look in Siam tv, but the diameter was a bit too small for my purpose

And your purpose is? unsure.png

Seriously, I bought my crock pot a couple of years back in Robinson's.....great investment, wouldn't be without it.

I got one at Power Buy a few months back--works well and is fairly large (about the size of a large rice cooker). Slow cooks at high and low settings. Also does various kinds of rice. They seem to have them in stock regularly.

I got one at Power Buy a few months back--works well and is fairly large (about the size of a large rice cooker). Slow cooks at high and low settings. Also does various kinds of rice. They seem to have them in stock regularly.

And where might Power Buy be?

the largest slow cooker I've seen is in Home Pro, believe it or not. but it's not 15" which is about the same size I also want.

I also got mine from Home Pro a couple of years ago - they had a few large ones to choose from at very reasonable prices.

Power Buy is the top floor of Robinson at Central Airport Plaza. It's got all the electronics and home/kitchen wares.

Power Buy is the top floor of Robinson at Central Airport Plaza. It's got all the electronics and home/kitchen wares.

Thanks seesip; I'll be up there like a Rat up a drainpipe !

• 1 month later...

I've been searching for a slow cooker recently and this one is the only one I can find, I saw it in Big C and Makro. It doesn't look great tbh, but does anyone know if it does the job ok? Has anyone seen any other slow cookers for sale around CM recently? Thanks!

qydb2u.jpg

The only place I know of that still had big slow cookers as of 1 month ago was the Central Department Store at Gad Suan Kaeo. It was oval shaped in the same way the Dutch ovens are. I think some of the large slow cookers mentioned above are hybrid rice cookers/slow cookers.

I've been searching for a slow cooker recently and this one is the only one I can find, I saw it in Big C and Makro. It doesn't look great tbh, but does anyone know if it does the job ok? Has anyone seen any other slow cookers for sale around CM recently? Thanks!

qydb2u.jpg

Looks good t me. Just like the one had back in Canada.

How big is it and what is the cost? Also I would presume it is a ceramic pot.

dave2

Seriously, I bought my crock pot a couple of years back in Robinson's.....great investment, wouldn't be without it.

I already have an old crock slow cooker at home.

It`s called, the wife.

• Like 1

dave2

I already have an old crock slow cooker at home.

It`s called, the wife.

Is it made of ceramic?

My 2 satang; would like to add as a long time crock pot cooker, and one who uses a large rice cooker for my crock pot needs in CM; in some ways the rice cooker is handier.

The rice cooker must have fully adjustable temperature control, good quality inner bowl, and substantial, heavy metal heating element. The 2 crock pots I've had previously have 3 temperature setting; one of which was always completely useless. Break the inner ceramic pot and there is a good chance you can not replace it alone.

You want one that can simmer all day unattended, and give you keep warm ability also. Just takes a few uses to get where to adjust the temperatures. Get one big even to boil down a whole chicken. Throw in a big stack of pork ribs, boil them silly for 8 hours in coke cola, then sauce em up under the broiler. Pure candy.

At high setting you can brown and sear meat. I could never make my curries in a crock pot alone, and the taste it that much better, especially the potatoes when it cooks all day. Chili, don't get me started on chili; oh and the last batch of chicken wings could never have been cooked in a crock pot. Let it reach high heat, turn off the cooker, throw in the proper dough and make great focaccia bread. Works well for fondue dinners for a large group of hungry teens.

Did I mention I like my rice cooker (which hasn't cooked rice)

Saw three of them in Robinson's at the airport fifth floor. The largest one was 4.5 liters

I was at Makro today. They have a two-pot slow cooker now. Both have ceramic, removable pots, each 2.8 liters, price 2,900B.

Home Pro has the one pictured earlier on this thread, 3.8 liter, for 799B, also with removable ceramic bowl. Both units have three temp settings, including keep warm. But my purpose is to make my own yogurt so I need a dimmer switch to make the temp even lower. I can't find an inline one in CM so I'll have to have an electrician install one in the wall.