Six dead, U.S. Congresswoman Giffords among at least 12 injured in Az. shooting

News_Editor

ARIZONA CONGRESSWOMAN GABRIELLE GIFFORDS AMONG SCORES SHOT IN TUCSON, AZ

2011-01-09 01:38:56 GMT+7 (ICT)

TUCSON, ARIZONA (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. media reports say U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is among at least 12 people shot in Tucson, Arizona.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-09

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no details yet as to the motivation of the shooter but I can tell you what a lot of people will be thinking now until we know them and that is that maybe this is an act of right wing tea party terrorism, given the congresswoman is a democrat from a right wing state. Hopefully, this is only a random madman and not part of a radical movement, but if it turns out to be internal right wing terrorism, the social impact will be immense. This is in the context of recent mail bombs in the D.C. and Maryland area which had anti-Washington messages on them.

It turns out her politics are right moderate. However, she was rated D+ rating (low) from the National Rifle Association, the powerful gun lobby, ironically enough. Her views on the very controversial Arizona state immigration law are fairly supportive without being explicitly so, definitely not a hard liner on illegal aliens. She voted for Obamacare and her Arizona office was attacked last March by opponents of that. She is Jewish.

If nothing else, you can expect that congressmen and senators are going to ask for more security (more government spending) which is something they haven't really needed before. Until now.

Sorry to have to add -- she is now reported as DEAD (among multiple fatalities from the attack).

Edited by Jingthing

Statement by President Obama on Arizona mass shooting

2011-01-09 03:18:27 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Saturday released the following statement after U.S. Congresswoman Giffords and others were shot outside a supermarket in Arizona.

"This morning, in an unspeakable tragedy, a number of Americans were shot in Tuscon, Arizona, at a constituent meeting with Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. And while we are continuing to receive information, we know that some have passed away, and that Representative Giffords is gravely wounded.

"We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society. I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers."

tvn.png

OK, now reported still alive.

During her last election she was opposed by an extremist tea party republican and the campaign was very nasty. She was also one of twenty congressmen "targeted" by Sarah Palin's (right wing tea party leader) SarahPac for defeat. This was clearly a politically motivated act of violence given the target and current politics, but probably due to one madman.

The shooter is American, alive, a 22 year old war veteran.

Edited by cdnvic
Statement later proven false in red

Six dead, U.S. Congresswoman Giffords among at least 12 injured in Az. shooting

2011-01-09 04:25:04 GMT+7 (ICT)

TUCSON, ARIZONA (BNO NEWS) -- At least six people were killed and U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was among twelve people injured on Saturday morning when a gunman opened fire at a public event in Tucson, Arizona, officials said.

The shooting happened just after 10 a.m. MST at a supermarket in northwest Tucson where Giffords was hosting her first "Congress on Your Corner" of the year. "My 1st Congress on Your Corner starts now," Giffords tweeted just before the shooting. "Please stop by to let me know what is on your mind or tweet me later."

According to local officials, a 21-year-old man identified as Jared Laughner walked up to Giffords and shot her in the head before turning the gun on others at the event. The Pima County Sheriff's Department said a total of 18 people were shot, six of them fatally.

At University Medical Center, where some of the victims were brought to, doctors said five patients - including Giffords - are in a critical condition. Five others are in a stable condition.

Trauma Director Rhee at the hospital said he was optimistic about recovery chances for Giffords, but noted that the bullet had gone through her brain. He said the Congresswoman was no longer in surgery.

Few details about the fatalities were available, although Rhee confirmed that a tenth patient had died at the hospital. He identified the victim as a 9-year-old girl.

U.S. District Judge John Roll was also among the fatalities, according to multiple media reports, but was not taken to University Medical Center.

"This morning, in an unspeakable tragedy, a number of Americans were shot in Tuscon, Arizona, at a constituent meeting with Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords," U.S. President Barack Obama said. "And while we are continuing to receive information, we know that some have passed away, and that Representative Giffords is gravely wounded."

Obama added: "We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society. I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers."

U.S. House Speaker John Boehner also condemned the attack. "I am horrified by the senseless attack on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and members of her staff," he said in a statement released by his office. "An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve."

Boehner added that acts and threats of violence against public officials have 'no place in our society.' "Our prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her staff, all who were injured, and their families. This is a sad day for our country," he concluded.

Meanwhile, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said there 'is no place in our society or discourse for such senseless and unconscionable acts of violence.' "Gabby is a steadfast representative for southern Arizona and both she and John are dedicated public servants," she added.

Napolitano also offered all possible assistance to the FBI and the Pima County Sheriff's Office, who are leading the investigation. "My thoughts and prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her family and staff, and all those who were injured in this difficult time," she added.

U.S. Senator for Arizona John McCain said he was 'horrified' by the attack on Giffords. "I pray for Gabby and the other victims, and for the repose of the souls of the dead and comfort for their families. I beg our loving Creator to spare the lives of those who are still alive, heal them in body and spirit, and return them to their loved ones," he said, while calling the gunman 'a wicked person who has no sense of justice or compassion.'

McCain added: "Whoever did this; whatever their reason, they are a disgrace to Arizona, this country and the human race, and they deserve and will receive the contempt of all decent people and the strongest punishment of the law."

Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin also released a statement on the attack. "My sincere condolences are offered to the family of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and the other victims of today's tragic shooting in Arizona," she said. "On behalf of Todd and my family, we all pray for the victims and their families, and for peace and justice."

Giffords, who is considered a member of the Blue Dog Democrats, was first sworn into office in 2007. She was re-elected to a third-term this past November.

tvn.png

OK, the shooter is definitely insane. Now he will be getting lots and lots of attention from mental health professionals.

There are also right wing tea party flavored political comments in his video, but he is clearly extremely disturbed and irrational. He certainly has set the stage for an insanity defense.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, the shooter is definitely insane. Now he will be getting lots and lots of attention from mental health professionals.

There are also right wing tea party flavored political comments in his video, but he is clearly extremely disturbed and irrational. He certainly has set the stage for an insanity defense.

Sorry, I didn't see anything related to the Tea Party in that video. What specifically are you talking about?

During her last election she was opposed by an extremist tea party republican and the campaign was very nasty. She was also one of twenty congressmen "targeted" by Sarah Palin's (right wing tea party leader) SarahPac for defeat. This was clearly a politically motivated act of violence given the target and current politics, but probably due to one madman.

True story regarding Palin tageting Rep.Gifford and other Democrats in a gun site. Palin's campaign targeting Gifford and the others can be seen here:

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/01/take-aim/

He is not "right wing" and he targeted a Blue-Dog Democrat. They are conservative Democrats who look down on the left. Another conspiracy theory that does not wash. ;)

Even as Twitter users speculated on his political views – with one self-identified former classmate describing him as “left-wing” – Loughner’s favorite books, posted on the site, painted the more jumbled portrait of a troubled young man with violently anti-establishment views.

In addition to Hitler’s memoirs, it includes the “Communist Manifesto,” to George Orwell’s “Animal Farm” to Ray Bradbury’s “Fahrenheit 451.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47257.html#ixzz1AUsiiIKN

US congresswoman in critical condition after shooting

Washington - A member of the US Congress and 18 others were shot in an attack at a shopping centre in Tucson, Arizona, Saturday, police said.

Democratic Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, 40, had been holding a meeting with local residents outside a grocery store when a gunman opened fire. Six people were confirmed dead, police said in a press conference.

The dead included federal Judge John Roll, a member of Giffords' staff and a 9-year-old child.

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said two people at the scene tackled the shooter, ending the attack.

A 22-year-old man was in police custody in connection with the attack. ABC News identified him as Jared Lee Loughner and said he had posted a series of angry anti-government rants on YouTube.

Another man was also being sought by police, Dupnik said.

The congresswoman had received threats, but it was not clear whether the suspected shooter had made any threats directed at her.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-09

Rep. Giffords on Palin's gunsite map and comments several months ago....

http://ezkool.com/?p=5417

I hope Rep. Giffords will continue to recover and people everywhere will learn about the consequences of extremist campaign speech.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but I believe she has passed already.

No reports of her being dead. Just gravely wounded.

Rep. Giffords on Palin's gunsite map and comments several months ago....

http://ezkool.com/?p=5417

I hope Rep. Giffords will continue to recover and people everywhere will learn about the consequences of extremist campaign speech.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but I believe she has passed already.

No reports of her being dead. Just gravely wounded.

Like i said before. I hate to be the one to tell you this but she is dead my friend.

TUCSON, Arizona | Sat Jan 8, 2011 2:13pm EST

TUCSON, Arizona Jan 8 (Reuters) - U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords was fatally shot during a public appearance on Saturday, National Public Radio said.

NPR said a gunman ran up to Giffords, 40, a Democrat, and opened fire. The suspect was taken into custody, NPR said.

Media reports said about a dozen other people also were shot. (Writing by Bill Trott, editing by Anthony Boadle)

Edited by coma

Like i said before. I hate to be the one to tell you this but she is dead my friend.

TUCSON, Arizona Jan 8 (Reuters) - U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords was fatally shot during a public appearance on Saturday, National Public Radio said.

NPR said a gunman ran up to Giffords, 40, a Democrat, and opened fire. The suspect was taken into custody, NPR said.

Media reports said about a dozen other people also were shot. (Writing by Bill Trott, editing by Anthony Boadle)

Reuters are no longer saying she is dead. http://www.reuters.c...E7071IA20110109

No other agencies are saying she is dead. I suspect that the article you quoted (do you have a link?) was breaking news very soon after the incident.

edit: the article I linked is 7 hours after the article you quoted - link here http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0824535020110108

Edited by whybother

Latest NPR report:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367/congresswoman-shot-in-arizona

Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was critically injured and a federal judge killed, along with at least five others, Saturday in Tucson when a man opened fire during a meet-and-greet outside of a supermarket.

A 9-year-old girl was among those confirmed dead, as was John Roll, chief judge of U.S. District Court of Arizona. Also killed was Gabe Zimmerman, 30, director of community outreach for the congresswoman.

At least a dozen people were injured, including two members of Giffords' staff.

The suspected gunman was tackled and held by people at the event until police arrived and took him into custody. Law enforcement sources told NPR the suspect was 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner.

At a news conference Saturday night, Pima County, Ariz. Sheriff Clarence Dupnik declined to name the suspect, but said he "has kind of a troubled past — I can tell you that — and we are not convinced he acted alone."

Officials have a photograph of a second "person of interest," a 50-year-old white male, Dupnik said."We have an individual we are actively in pursuit of, but I cannot tell you who he is at this point," the sheriff said.

The suspect still had ammunition in his weapon when he was tackled, Dupnik said. Law enforcement officials had previous contact with the suspect and he had made threats, the sheriff said.

Giffords, a 40-year-old Democrat, was specifically targeted, Dupnik said.

NPR and other news organizations reported earlier Saturday that Giffords had died. NPR member station KJZZ in Phoenix reported the recently re-elected Democratic congresswoman and six others had been killed by the gunman, based on a source in the Pima County Sheriff's office.

Giffords, a moderate "Blue Dog" Democrat and gun rights advocate who in November eked out a win for a third term over Tea Party-backed Republican Jesse Kelly, underwent surgery at University Medical Center in Tucson. Hospital Director Pete Rhee said that a bullet had entered and exited the congresswoman's head, but that he was as "optimistic" as he could be in the situation.

Reuters are no longer saying she is dead. http://www.reuters.c...E7071IA20110109

No other agencies are saying she is dead. I suspect that the article you quoted (do you have a link?) was breaking news very soon after the incident.

edit: the article I linked is 7 hours after the article you quoted - link here http://www.reuters.c...824535020110108

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0824535020110108

A disgraceful act indeed. Stating that she has died when indeed she is still fighting on strongly. My apologies.

My thoughts are with her in her fight for life and with all the victims and thier families in this horrible shooting.

Can I burn Reuters without breaching forum rules ?

http://www.reuters.c...824535020110108

A disgraceful act indeed. Stating that she has died when indeed she is still fighting on strongly. My apologies.

My thoughts are with her in her fight for life and with all the victims and thier families in this horrible shooting.

Can I burn Reuters without breaching forum rules ?

That's one of the problems with this "First with the news" reporting these days. Usually very few facts are actually known, but they need to get something out. Often their first reports are wrong.

Authorities Suspect Gunman in Arizona Rampage Posted Pre-Shooting Video Online

The 22-year-old man suspected in the deadly shooting rampage Saturday in Arizona was described by the local sheriff as "unstable" and with a "kind of troubled past." Fox News sources identified the suspected shooter as Jared Loughner.

At a press conference held Saturday evening, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said the man suspected in the mass shooting that left six dead and more than a dozen injured has a criminal background and "there is reason to believe he has a mental issue."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz1AVVvp6hy

CNN says that he was rejected for military service, so not a war veteran. Can you hold off on the speculation until more facts are known.