Housing Villages Chiang Mai

mav000

Moving back to Chiang Mai this summer from US Anybody have recommendations on moo baans to look at? Interested in development which includes security, pool, fitness center, tennis courts, convenience mart. Would be nice, but not a deal killer, if it has lake/park setting. Most important is that the homes are of top quality. Price range 8 to 10.5 million baht.

thanks, Mav

I live at Land and Houses, Siwalee, and very happy with the location. It has everything your asking for (not sure about tennis court though).Im no expert but the build quality appears good compared to others ive lived in.It is located south of the airport and there is air traffic noise but personally it doesnt bother me. Im not sure of the prices as I rent but there are some larger properties that would fit your budget. There building another project/extention to the west.

Hope this helpsTT

After receiving many great comments, pros/cons buying versus renting, decided to go with renting for immediate future. Probably rent in the 15,000 to 25,000, 4 bedroom/3 bath range. Looking for nice moo baan-security, exercise facilities, pool, tennis courts. Location: Like to be near the Chiang Mai International School ( have 13 year old daughter).

Thanks for your advice.

After receiving many great comments, pros/cons buying versus renting, decided to go with renting for immediate future. Probably rent in the 15,000 to 25,000, 4 bedroom/3 bath range. Looking for nice moo baan-security, exercise facilities, pool, tennis courts. Location: Like to be near the Chiang Mai International School ( have 13 year old daughter).

Thanks for your advice.

Your pricing is a bit off. I am also in Siwalee Land&House (Canal road - I think they have 3, and are building a 4th right now), happy here, the houses are a bit on the small side for us though (3 br, need 4+1 office would be perfect). Rent prices are in the range you mention, house prices were 3 - 5 M baht I believe. 8 - 10M baht houses would be more expensive.

It's probably a good idea to come here and have a look around - there is plenty of availability, even in our moo baan there's always at least 3 or 4 houses for rent, maybe more, at any given time, and it's one of the more popular ones. However, it never looks that way on the various properties websites - those are quite often overpriced, and they don't have much available either. If I had to do it again, I'd pick a few nice moo baans and just drive around them and scope out houses. The one we're renting now was one of two I found surfing the internet for hours, and days - at the same time, there were many more places for rent in this moo baan, and also in the various other nice moo baans. You'll find more options, and better prices on the ground.

I don't know where that school is if you have a map link... in general I know Koolpuntville and Siwalee Land&House have a good reputation but there's a few others that are nice too. Distance to the city is an important factor in pricing. You'll get a bigger house for less money a few kms further outside.

Edited by nikster

Thanks for your advice.

Your pricing is a bit off. I am also in Siwalee Land&House (Canal road - I think they have 3, and are building a 4th right now), happy here, the houses are a bit on the small side for us though (3 br, need 4+1 office would be perfect). Rent prices are in the range you mention, house prices were 3 - 5 M baht I believe. 8 - 10M baht houses would be more expensive.

It's probably a good idea to come here and have a look around - there is plenty of availability, even in our moo baan there's always at least 3 or 4 houses for rent, maybe more, at any given time, and it's one of the more popular ones. However, it never looks that way on the various properties websites - those are quite often overpriced, and they don't have much available either. If I had to do it again, I'd pick a few nice moo baans and just drive around them and scope out houses. The one we're renting now was one of two I found surfing the internet for hours, and days - at the same time, there were many more places for rent in this moo baan, and also in the various other nice moo baans. You'll find more options, and better prices on the ground.

I don't know where that school is if you have a map link... in general I know Koolpuntville and Siwalee Land&House have a good reputation but there's a few others that are nice too. Distance to the city is an important factor in pricing. You'll get a bigger house for less money a few kms further outside.

I am in the Land & House, Mae Jo, they have the tennis Courts, Swimming Pool, Fitness Center and up to last year the convienance store, bakery and laundry. Unfortunatly these were demolished for expansion. Rentals, depending on where you look range from 10-25000 baht. Our section is very quiet.

The is no Moo Ban convienient to Chiangmai International School. Great school but it is just to close to town so the traffic always sucks. The most convienient International School to the Mae Jo Land & House is Nakorn Payap then probably Prem.

Good Luck

wants to buy for 8-10.5 mil or rent for 15-25k baht.. do you think you can rent a property selling at 8 mil for 15k/month?

Have done multiple times.. My last home 20k on a 12m asking price.. Other times similar ratios..

Currently 28 on a 10m selling (asking more but thats the firm price apparently).

wants to buy for 8-10.5 mil or rent for 15-25k baht.. do you think you can rent a property selling at 8 mil for 15k/month?

Have done multiple times.. My last home 20k on a 12m asking price.. Other times similar ratios..

Currently 28 on a 10m selling (asking more but thats the firm price apparently).

Yeah - where is that?

I mean you can do the math to see that this would be a very bad investment for the person buying the house, or building the house in the first place. Not saying it's impossible of course, people make bad deals all the time.

There are quite a few dead properties on the market though that have unreasonably high prices, and stay at that price, either because the owner don't need the money and think they'll just hold on to it for all eternity, or the owner is a bank and does the same thing as a 10M house on the books is better than 4M cash in hand (just an example).

Current one San Kampeang.. Previous Phuket..

Also was in a 30m baht seaview villa for 70k (later 75) a month for a few years. With the gardeners / pool / and maintenance on that place being a large cost for them too.. There were work crews there all the time doing stuff, expensive electronics going pop due to island electric supply etc.

Also dont forget on Phuket the or bor tor chases taxes on rentals (12.5% I recently was told) and the renter pays income taxes on the rent as income. So I expect he was lucky to clear 50k a month / 600k a year on a 30m asset.

So yes a horrible investment, hence why I rented it. Plus the entire thing was destroyed in a landslide and the insurance company wouldnt pay..

EDIT :: Previous place for 20k a month (3 story, small pool etc)... Plus the landlord had to kick in half of a 6 - 8k a month electric bill as it was over charged due to never having a legal house meter.. So he only netted 16 - 17 per month.

http://phuket-properties.co.th/index.php?option=com_cmsrealty&Itemid=125&action=listingview&listingID=2&cmsrealty=user

Edited by LivinLOS

Yes. :)

What seems to add to the higher rents (25K range) is mostly the stuff in the house; furniture, recent maintenance, service. If you take that out then some houses that people want serious money for to buy, can be rented for a similar amount of baht per month.

Yes. :)

What seems to add to the higher rents (25K range) is mostly the stuff in the house; furniture, recent maintenance, service. If you take that out then some houses that people want serious money for to buy, can be rented for a similar amount of baht per month.

Most definitely!!!:D Where is 'sarahsbloke' when you need him.:lol:

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks again for your comments, very helpful. I am not locked into 25,000 per month. I do have a thai wife who has contacts there, so kind of using their numbers. I have received info. from Jasmine Homes pertaining to moo baans. They mention three, which are in the general area of the Chiang Mai International School- Land and House, Quality Homes, and LadddLom. I am just getting as much info. as possible before arriving there in June. For sure we will take our time, appears to be ample supply on the market.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Craig

Thanks again for your comments, very helpful. I am not locked into 25,000 per month. I do have a thai wife who has contacts there, so kind of using their numbers.

Ah, well that clears things up.

10 million baht: Would be money/assets gained, so the higher the better.

15-25K : would be rent, so money out of the household wallet, so the less the better; more left for her.

:D

Sorry if this is totally inaccurate and you're not the one being led by the ring through his nose not checking for common sense in amounts. I recognize and accept that the above is driven by stereotypes. That's the thing with stereotypes, you're wrong in low but significant number of cases and for that I apologize in advance. :rolleyes:

Edited by CheGuava