If I Had A Degree!

I was thinking about this while driving to work in England. But if I had gone to university or some other college to earn my degree, why would anyone be using it in Thailand?

We all moan at the low wages that are given out and I know the Thai Goverment seeks a teacher to be a holder or a degree, but do they understand that a typical student today does I think from 2-4 years to get a degree, rack up a load of debt, for what teaching in Thailand where it all seems a waste of time.

If I had a degree I would be putting it to good use in England or America or any country where it would serve its purpose to the max, I just think Thailand is being so stupid with there policy on qualifications.

What do you think?

P.S Anyone that has a degree and is using it in Thailand, I have big respect for you on this, as you are giving Thai Students what they really need, and if you have married or have children then living in working in Thailand may be the only solution, but if I had no commiments I would be where the money is and that clearly isn't in Thailand!

Some people study at a university because they are interested in learning about something. I know that to some people this is a strange idea..to want to learn something..but believe me it is true. Seems like you think a degree is all about making money. I've never heard of anyone on their death bed saying, "I wish I spent more time making money."

never heard of anyone on their death bed saying, "I wish I spent more time making money."

amen, brother.

i spent a year making $$$ in korea, and it just wasn't worth it...in fact, it was a horrible experience. some might think that i should be putting my degree to 'better use', but i've got priorities in my life....and amassing a large savings account isn't very high up on that list.

I was thinking about this while driving to work in England.  But if I had gone to university or some other college to earn my degree, why would anyone be using it in Thailand?

We all moan at the low wages that are given out and I know the Thai Goverment seeks a teacher to be a holder or a degree, but do they understand that a typical student today does I think from 2-4 years to get a degree, rack up a load of debt, for what teaching in Thailand where it all seems a waste of time.

If I had a degree I would be putting it to good use in England or America or any country where it would serve its purpose to the max, I just think Thailand is being so stupid with there policy on qualifications.

What do you think?

P.S  Anyone that has a degree and is using it in Thailand, I have big respect for you on this, as you are giving Thai Students what they really need, and if you have married or have children then living in working in Thailand may be the only solution, but if I had no commiments I would be where the money is and that clearly isn't in Thailand!

But you haven't got a degree, so it's not relevant is it?

Its good that Neeranam feels that way. Your right I don't have a degree :o But I find it hard to believe that people would put time, effort and money into something to come out with little money in return.

Ok the reward of teaching and giving something to a class I could only imagine as being great. But I don't feel having a degree is needed IMO I understand why they would like someone to have one, but someone not having a degree is more than capable of doing the job if they have the heart for it.

IMO, I think everyone should read the message by Neeranam, it says more than the words indicate. :D

When I was selling bananas and ginger at my x-wifes’ food stand on the highway (Lom Sak Petchaboon) I had more friends, more joy, more quality of life than the 17 years in the oil feild. :D

Now forced to find work, in that I thought I had work already, the new airport wont open when I need it to. :D

Masters in CIS/MIS, Bachelors in Accounting with a minors in computer programming I wind up attempting to teach English in October 06? :D

This should be very interesting :D

Hindsight is not only 20/20 but an exact science. :o

Teaching English here is the most miserable occupation. You flop into it, but are not really a teacher by vocation, the money...well its just not worth going through the traffic for.

I did it, and its pretty grim.

You're doing it for the most paltry money, and you end up drinking the rubbishy coffee in the teachers room because you rationalize that a Starbucks =half a lesson fee.

You come out of class at the end of the day, dying for many beers, because you're so zonked.

As a solution, its a solution, but a bad one.

I'm not referring to teaching in schools by properly qualified people, where professionally trained people can make a good living and are a true asset.

I was thinking about this while driving to work in England.  But if I had gone to university or some other college to earn my degree, why would anyone be using it in Thailand?

I wouldn't live in the USA again for any amount of money. I can't imagine living in England can be much better.

Personally, I'm here for the wonders of Mother Nature... and for sweet Thai women (not for sex, but just for hanging out with) :o

I wouldn't live in the USA again for any amount of money. I can't imagine living in England can be much better.

Personally, I'm here for the wonders of Mother Nature... and for sweet Thai women (not for sex, but just for hanging out with) :D

Hanging out with the ladies on a rockstar wage would be better fun though for sure!

I know I pished alot up the wall in LOS and whatever people may say, its more fun with wads of cash than a teachers salary.

However each to there own, I just dont find living on noodle soup and looking for your next bottle of Mekong much fun in the end! Some people I might add save on a teachers salary, they are the ones I admire.

:o

Edited by lopburiguy

The money/personal satisfaction balance is usually the big question in one's professional choices, right? When they work together, one is very lucky. The problematic thing with U.S. degrees is that they're ridiculously expensive. I graduated in 1990 (private school) and had 65k in student loans, still paying, almost finished. O.K., you have a bit of a grace period right after graduation, but that student loan payment nut is always hanging like the sword of Damocles. I can't imagine what a recent college grad is looking at in terms of debt.

The money/personal satisfaction balance is usually the big question in one's professional choices, right?  When they work together, one is very lucky.  The problematic thing with U.S. degrees is that they're ridiculously expensive.  I graduated in 1990 (private school) and had 65k in student loans, still paying, almost finished. O.K., you have a bit of a grace period right after graduation, but that student loan payment nut is always hanging like the sword of Damocles.  I can't imagine what a recent college grad is looking at in terms of debt.

Student loans who pays those back? Catch me if you can.....

Kidding, however your right the average student unless daddy has large wallet and a soft heart pays extreme amounts. Its the same with UK now, the loan system has brought about debt for all students when graduating...looks like moving to LOS to be a teacher in some cases I know have been an escape from payment or deferment at the least!

:o

I worked in a private school and didn't have a degree but with OT and working either evenings or weekend work. My monthly salary was always around 50,000B per month of which I generally saved 10,000..... I had a level of existence of which I was happy with for a few years and then the realisation slowly appeared through the haze of Jonny Walker that to earn more money i would have to invest in a degree.

Other people I worked with who had teaching degrees also did extra work but were paid accordingly to their experience and qualifications. They were earning in excess of 70,000 per month.

Generally teaching degrees will give you the equal salary of a teacher back home but without the high expense of living.

In the UK at the moment the cheapest flats are around 80,000pound. Rent is at 400+ per month...wow! in Bkk I was paying 6,000B per month and had a very clean apartment with pool etc...

So any salary over 60,000B per month you can have a decent life style in the LoS.

Get a degree it helps.

I totally disagree with the OP.

In Los Angeles there is a high supply but a low demand in every field. I had a college degree and I discovered that it meant sh!t. I was still young, green and had no experience in any field. I graduated during the 2001 recession. Every job I applied for I was one of 50 candidates in competition with 40 year olds with 20 years crediantials in whatever. I finally got a job selling churros at Universal Studios. Since I was bilingual and had a degree, I was rewarded with serving Spanish speaking customers and supervising 16 year old co-workers!

In Thailand life has been so much better. All I needed was a degree to teach English. So F' all of y'all who think the guidelines for teaching English need to be harder!

Edited by Tyree D.

In Los Angeles there is a high supply but a low demand in every field.  I had a college degree and I discovered that it meant sh!t.  I was still young, green and had no experience in any field.  I graduated during the 2001 recession.  Every job I applied for I was one of 50 candidates in competition with 40 year olds with 20 years crediantials in whatever.  I finally got a job selling churros at Universal Studios.  Since I was bilingual and had a degree, I was rewarded with serving Spanish speaking customers and supervising 16 year old co-workers!

In Thailand life has been so much better.  All I needed was a degree to teach English.  So F' all of y'all who think the guidelines for teaching English need to be harder!

Temper Temper! I believe you! Tho the OP might not....

:D:o

In Los Angeles there is a high supply but a low demand in every field.  I had a college degree and I discovered that it meant sh!t.  I was still young, green and had no experience in any field.  I graduated during the 2001 recession.  Every job I applied for I was one of 50 candidates in competition with 40 year olds with 20 years crediantials in whatever.  I finally got a job selling churros at Universal Studios.  Since I was bilingual and had a degree, I was rewarded with serving Spanish speaking customers and supervising 16 year old co-workers!

In Thailand life has been so much better.  All I needed was a degree to teach English.  So F' all of y'all who think the guidelines for teaching English need to be harder!

Hmmm , you say that you disagree with the OP , he generally says that if he had a degree he wouldn't waste it on teaching in Thailand , I can't see how this correlates with

So F' all of y'all who think the guidelines for teaching English need to be harder!

He is also talking about a University degree not a college degree, there is a difference ( about 3 years )

With your temper outbursts in most of your posts I think your teaching ability would be severely restricted to perhaps teaching outdoor games...

Or maybe it's me. :o

Edited by chonabot

I should've explained. What I meant was how having a degree in America only got me to supervise teenage coworkers for on one dollar an hour extra above minimum wage. I had a degree but I was still inexperienced in any field. I come to Thailand and all of a sudden I am qualified to teach. I did not need any extra credentials.

I am enjoying myself. I feel I balance out the negative posts on this board regarding teaching. I do not feel underpaid or wasting away my life. In America I was underpaid and wasting away my life. This is a peak experience.

EDIT: chinabot added his last two sentences after I posted the above. Yes, it's just you. I don't even know what posts you are referring to, but I just don't like when people say innacurate things about teaching here. I do get PMs thanking me for my view of things followed by 40 questions about teaching.

Edited by Tyree D.

Tyree I did not edit those sentences after you posted the above , check the time of the edit , 4 minutes before your post , I have my opinion and have seen some of your posts, can you clarify that you have a Univeristy degree or a college degree?, this was not clear in your post.

I am not having a go at you but, like yourself, I have a strong dislike of innaccurate statements.

Chon

Edited by chonabot

tyree d

I should've explained. What I meant was how having a degree in America only got me to supervise teenage coworkers for on one dollar an hour extra above minimum wage. I had a degree but I was still inexperienced in any field. I come to Thailand and all of a sudden I am qualified to teach. I did not need any extra credentials.

I'm English and I don't know the difference between a College degree and a Uni degree can you clarrify the difference, please.

If you don't have a degree at all what sort of job does that get you in America the land of plenty? its sounds like your degree was in something like 'air guitar'. Whilst not totally pointless in its field but totally useless in a normal career....so what is your degree in?

I'm a sad man , too much time on my hands at work ( I'm a DBA ) I have looked at Mr D's posts and he mentions being an exchange student, doing a semester at Chiang Mai Uni , also the College degree, now a teacher somewhere oop north , he hates Brits and seems to be without a degree of decorum.

He seems to boast about the fact that he loves himself and speaks excellent Thai at 25 after being here for one year, but lived in CM 5 years ago despite being at college in LA back then.

Most of his posts seem smug and IMO are aggressive.

Oh he's from LA , is Afro-American and hates being called Black.

I'm a callin u out Tyree - come on down, give us ya life story y'all....... :o

ps see if you can reply to this post without calling me names and I'll buy you a Burrito.

Edited by chonabot

Hmmm , you say that you disagree with the OP , he generally says that if he had a degree he wouldn't waste it on teaching in Thailand , I can't see how this correlates with

So F' all of y'all who think the guidelines for teaching English need to be harder!

He is also talking about a University degree not a college degree, there is a difference ( about 3 years )

With your temper outbursts in most of your posts I think your teaching ability would be severely restricted to perhaps teaching outdoor games...

Or maybe it's me. :o

In the US a 'college' degree and a 'university' degree are more or less equivalent...or at least they were last I attended which was about 12 years ago. They are both 4 years and the main difference is that a university is a much bigger facility and has many different colleges within its administration. An example of a college contained within a university is that I have a bachelor of science degree from the College of Engineering at the University of WAshington. Colleges traditionally were independent of universities and an example of this is Whitman College which is a liberal arts college. A degree from Whitman College used to be much much more prestigious than a degree from the University of Washington....both offer 4 year bachelors degrees but the University offers a wider variety of bachelor's degrees and also post grad degrees (masters and doctorates).

chonobot

I'm a sad man , too much time on my hands at work ( I'm a DBA ) I have looked at Mr D's posts

:o:D

self deprecation you have to be a Brit to get it...

At my old school we were told in no uncertain terms NOT to discuss our salary with any of the Thai staff to save any embarrassment for us or them.

Tyree D you know better, if you'd been back 'ome in the States would y'all have discussed your salary openly with other colleagues, no you wouldn't of. Now I'm starting to wonder if the conversation took place or you had been drinking to much satu and dreamt it.

Edited by sanook2me

Lost in space..

Do you know me? or are we wife sharing?

spooky...

same time in LoS

same car

same story girlie with too much money to give away... :D

my mates thought i was mad to give it up to return to blighty to get educated....

think they were right..5 months later and still no date :o