Why Would Anyone Want To Live In Jomtien?

Jingthing

This thread inspired by the comments of the highly esteemed member named homeseeker--

Quite frankly its off the beaten track, has littered beaches, a polluted sea, and the night life is pale and stale compared with Pattaya; plus there is nothing to do there in the daytime either.

Edited by Jingthing

I think if I lived in Pattaya, I might be broke by now. Fewer temptations here in the burbs ...

Otherwise, let me check.

Yes, the beach is better than Pattaya, that's for sure.

Russian eye candy?

A gay district that some people like. I don't think much of it, but it's not bad.

Some different restaurants, for example Canary Bay on Soi 4, Ritz Cafe Jomtien Complex.

Good local foods market at Soi 5 in the back.

It's feels a bit more "local" to not be living directly on Pattaya Beach road.

Get to experience the joys of long baht bus rides to your heart's desire.

Edited by Jingthing

Jomtien beach is very nice, sun sea and sand, what are you expecting on a beach in Thailand, they test the water and is clean and free of disease, all the knockers feel free to go elsewhere.

Most of those who appreciate the qualities of Jomtien relative to Pattaya probably would be suprised by the title of this forum item, and also probably have very little motivation to reply to it. After all, why try to "Sell" a location to "others" if one would just as soon prefer many of the "others" stay contented just where they are. So, readers, you should not take any lack of extensive defense of Jomtien relative to Pattaya to be a "fair & balanced" appraisal of the situation. Personally, I have often thought - Why would anyone want to live in Pattaya when they could live in Jomtien. Of course we all know the answer to that: Immediate & constant access to beer bars and ladies of the night.

Jomtien beach is very nice, sun sea and sand, what are you expecting on a beach in Thailand, they test the water and is clean and free of disease, all the knockers feel free to go elsewhere.

Most of those who appreciate the qualities of Jomtien relative to Pattaya probably would be suprised by the title of this forum item, and also probably have very little motivation to reply to it. After all, why try to "Sell" a location to "others" if one would just as soon prefer many of the "others" stay contented just where they are. So, readers, you should not take any lack of extensive defense of Jomtien relative to Pattaya to be a "fair & balanced" appraisal of the situation. Personally, I have often thought - Why would anyone want to live in Pattaya when they could live in Jomtien. Of course we all know the answer to that: Immediate & constant access to beer bars and ladies of the night.

-well you had sufficient motivation to reply to it???

Why not just ask why anyone would want to live in Wong Amat, or Naklua? Or Pratumnak? Or Bang Saray, Baan Amphur or Huay Yai? Or anywhere on the dark side for that matter? Before we moved here, many of us probably assumed that we would end up living in the main Pattaya tourist area that we probably knew best, but there is a limited supply of accommodation in that area and cost and quality wise there's not much that matches what's available further out of town. So many people end up in Jomtien, or Naklua, or maybe on the dark side if you want a house, and many people find that they like where they end up living. Every area has its pros and cons, but for me, at least, it was just a case of finding something good quality with a decent swimming pool and on the Baht Bus route into town. I've lived in Jomtien for 7 years now (except for a 1 year sabbatical in Pratumnak), know lots of people here and I am quite settled. If Wolfgang came down here from his condo in Wong Amat, no doubt he'd find all sorts of things wrong with it, but then if I go to Wong Amat I can moan about the shortcomings of that area, too. Ditto folk from the dark side, etc. I think it's human nature that we tend to settle into a place fairly easily, unless there's something seriously wrong with it. For those still thinking of moving here, this is one reason to rent for the first year or two. If you buy a condo in Jomtien, or wherever, straight away and then find that you hate the area, you will probably lose a lot of money trying to sell it so that you can move somewhere you find more desirable.

Got no problems with Jomtien whatsoever.

However, I wonder if anyone had a similar experience as follows: one day, we went to Jomtien beach, and the water was murky and dirty. On our way home, friend wanted to stop at some shops, so I went to Pattaya beach while waiting (near Markland). To my complete surprise, the water was clear, free from rubbish and contrary to everything I expected i.e that the water at Pattaya was worse than Jomtien. Was that just my luck that I picked the right day to visit/swim in Pattaya beach or has some clean-up occurred on the main Pattaya beach?????

I bought here in May and moved in permanently 3 months ago and think I have made an excellent choice. I live at the far end of the beach road where it is quiet and relatively free from hassle.

I can drive into Central Pattaya in 15 minutes or take a baht bus from outside my condo. There are some really good restaurants and a few bars if you want them. THe quiz at Shenanigans is excellent and I can play squash at the Ambassador or sail at Ocean Marina. If I want to swim it is a 50 metre stroll away from the sea.

Pattaya is on my doorstep when i want the nightlife but far enough away that it is not in my face.

For full time living this area is excellent but if I was here for the nightlife only or on holiday I would not choose this area.

Personal choice is everything.

Anything related to residing or being associated with Pattaya is the kiss of death for some people. It's the perception aspect. Mention Pattaya or Jomtien to anyone that has been to Thailand and you get that all knowing smirk. Mention it to a Thai that is outside of the "tourist" trade and you get that look. It doesn't matter if they themselves have been there, you still know what they are thinking. If one doesn't care or is untouched by such bias, then it doesn't matter. Sort of the same thing as being in Patong, Phuket. Ewww, you must be a depraved perv. etc. Sometimes a very unfair assessment and it does gnaw at you after awhile.

Anything related to residing or being associated with Pattaya is the kiss of death for some people. It's the perception aspect. Mention Pattaya or Jomtien to anyone that has been to Thailand and you get that all knowing smirk. Mention it to a Thai that is outside of the "tourist" trade and you get that look. It doesn't matter if they themselves have been there, you still know what they are thinking. If one doesn't care or is untouched by such bias, then it doesn't matter. Sort of the same thing as being in Patong, Phuket. Ewww, you must be a depraved perv. etc. Sometimes a very unfair assessment and it does gnaw at you after awhile.

Not a problem if you rarely leave town! While abroad, I say I live in "Bangmybung, Choloberry". That'll teach 'em.

Edited by Jingthing

The worst place to live in pattaya especially if beach visits are rarely or you dont own any transport.

- Terrible road

- Traffic jams

- Night life is almost dead

- Day life totally dead (except for the beach)

- Late at night hard to come back from the center

- girls not like going there because its far

- western food very expencive

- foodmart is piece of overpriced crap but no other choises near by

- almost impossible to have a late meal (only this horrible thai place on soi 4)

- no good buffet

- if you need anything you have to go to the center pattay

i dont see any point to live there if you dont go to the beach everyday. If you dont own bike or car forget about jomtien.

Edited by Gik

Jomtien is 4 kms from Pattaya, give or take a few hundred meters depending on where you prefer to start counting.

They are the same place. Why does it even matter if you live closer to Jomtien or closere to Pattaya?

Same same.

Maybe once you get to Sri Racha or Sattahip will I accept a story of 'not living in Pattaya'. But anywhere in between those places and you live in Pattaya.

Jomtien is 4 kms from Pattaya, give or take a few hundred meters depending on where you prefer to start counting.

They are the same place. Why does it even matter if you live closer to Jomtien or closere to Pattaya?

Same same.

Maybe once you get to Sri Racha or Sattahip will I accept a story of 'not living in Pattaya'. But anywhere in between those places and you live in Pattaya.

Who cares what you accept, who are you? the area police?????

I live on Thappraya road and my postal address does not read pattaya nor jomtien...I don't class my self as living in Pattaya or Jomtien. I class myself as an inhabitant of the Thappraya slum road, where even the nicest housing area can be spoiled by the constant roadworks/busy traffic/absolute ball-ache to go anywhere south due to the BMX track of a road you must negotiate, and nowhere north because Pattaya is a toilet.

Yes..i regret moving here, and yes i am looking for another area not far from where i work (thus the reason for moving here in the first place) but away from THAT area.

Oops forgot to mention good points..

Restaurants on Jomtien beach are very very good and there are so many to choose from......

errrrr....

errrr.....

That's it.

Same same.

LOL. You're having a good start of the week aintcha. :P I think you know what I meant. If not, that's just fine too.

I live on Thappraya road and my postal address does not read pattaya nor jomtien...I don't class my self as living in Pattaya or Jomtien. I class myself as an inhabitant of the Thappraya slum road, where even the nicest housing area can be spoiled by the constant roadworks/busy traffic/absolute ball-ache to go anywhere south due to the BMX track of a road you must negotiate, and nowhere north because Pattaya is a toilet.

When you feel better, you may want to visit Wikipedia and search for "Pattaya", or the Pattaya-Chonburi metropolitan area. Pattaya (incl. Jomtien and a bunch of other hamlets) is of course a self-governing municipal area, and as such does not follow the typical amphur - tambon model. And guess what, Thappraya Rd is smack bang in the middle of it. ;)

Hint: If you don't like your current location, you will also not like being on Naklua Road or anywhere else in Pattaya City. You'd have to move a bit further out. Once you get to Sri Racha or Sattahip the vibe does actually change, which is why I made that comment on those places not being Pattaya anymore. IMHO, of course. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Same same.

LOL. You're having a good start of the week aintcha. :P I think you know what I meant. If not, that's just fine too.

When you feel better, you may want to visit Wikipedia and search for "Pattaya", or the Pattaya-Chonburi metropolitan area. Pattaya (incl. Jomtien and a bunch of other hamlets) is of course a self-governing municipal area, and as such does not follow the typical amphur - tambon model. And guess what, Thappraya Rd is smack bang in the middle of it. ;)

Great...just when my day couldn't get any worse, i find out i live in Pattaya.