Increasing Potassium To Offset Higher Sodium

Wrong Turn

I take a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in the AM and PM (right after getting up and going to bed) to ward off gout

I'm also quite sure I'm getting additional sodium in my diet throughout the day (eating out).

Is increasing potassium (eating more bananas) a while to counter-balance of off-set the higher sodium intake?

I'm also drinking 4+ liters of water per day.

Thanks.

you can brush your teeth with baking soda too

i think it is one of those miracle substances that is good for many things

like vinegar and aspirin

and well add to the list please

i think this gets too little press

how easy it is to cure and treat things without expensive pharmaceuticals

learn how to say

mai sai pung shoo rut garuna (no MSG please)

i think i am allergic to that stuff

and i think not healthy to consume for some of us

i take vitamins and mins

and exercise

not sure which it is but perhaps the zinc has boosted my (male) sex drive

(insert joke here):lol:

i would love to boost my potassium magnesium and chromium too

among other things

i am working on it slowly

i hope this turns into a great thread

Edited by deejah

Increasing potassium intake will not reduce sodium levels.

People on certain diuretic medications which reduce sodium are prone to also lose potassium and are thus advised to eat potassium rich foods or take potassium supplements and this may be where the misunderstanding arises. Potassium per se will not reduce sodium.

In a normal healthy person the kidneys will excrete excess sodium. If you have high blood pressure or any heart problems, excess sodium intake is a concern and best avoided.

If you always eat out, odds are you are getting far more sodium in your diet than from the baking soda as commercially prepared Thai food is very, very high in it.

If you can, eat out less and prepare some of your meals, avoiding processed/packagad foods and added salt.

Thanks for all of the replies and particularly, Sheryl.

I eat out a lot and I assume I'm getting (hidden taste) sodium in my food b/c it's so prevalent.

My BP has been 150/100 every time I've check it at the doc's office, but this was when I was having a gout attack, so perhaps it's not accurate.

I'll consult a physician in the US this Summer to see if I need to start Blood Pressure medication.

As for the high sodium, I am drinking a lot of water (4+ liters per day) to try to get it out of my system.

I still have to take the 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda 2 times per day, to keep the chronic gout away - it's the only thing that has worked.

Thanks.

150/100 is indeed high, I would not wait on that. Particulalry since the diastolic (bottom number) is so high. Temporary increases in systolic pressure (top number) are common if in pain or anxious but not a rise in disatolic like that. i think you are hypertensive. You definitely need to reduce your sodium intake and, if overwieight, lose weight, and if these measures are not sufficient to bring your BP down to normal then indeed medication is indicated.

Be sure to tell your physicians you are taking the baking soda as, if you are unwilling to discontinue it, that might argue in favor of a diuretic to help reduce your sodium levels.

150/100 is indeed high, I would not wait on that. Particulalry since the diastolic (bottom number) is so high. Temporary increases in systolic pressure (top number) are common if in pain or anxious but not a rise in disatolic like that. i think you are hypertensive. You definitely need to reduce your sodium intake and, if overwieight, lose weight, and if these measures are not sufficient to bring your BP down to normal then indeed medication is indicated.

Be sure to tell your physicians you are taking the baking soda as, if you are unwilling to discontinue it, that might argue in favor of a diuretic to help reduce your sodium levels.

Will do.

As far as the sodium daily intake, the Arm & Hammer label states that 1/8 of a teaspoon provide 6% (150 mgs) of the daily limit.

So, a half of a teaspoon in the AM and PM, would not max out my daily sodium limit - but the other sodium in foods would, I believe.

Drinking 4L of water per day will not flush out the sodium; in fact, if your sodium (as in sodium chloride) intake is high as well, it may result in water retention which will in turn elevate your BP.

The baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will be absorbed and excreted as it is; an alkaline substance. The sodium itself will not have a separate effect and taking potassium will have no influence on sodium levels either. Potassium levels in the body is physiologically managed in a very specific way and has little to do with the way sodium is managed. Dietary intake of potassium through food will not result in an elevated blood level in a person with normal physiology; only in those with severe renal problems.

Drinking 4L of water per day will not flush out the sodium; in fact, if your sodium (as in sodium chloride) intake is high as well, it may result in water retention which will in turn elevate your BP.

Thank you, FBN.

I drink the 4+ liters throughout the entire day. Sipping, and such. (for the gout), but maybe I should cut water in take (I don't sweat) to 3 liters per day.

The baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will be absorbed and excreted as it is; an alkaline substance. The sodium itself will not have a separate effect and taking potassium will have no influence on sodium levels either. Potassium levels in the body is physiologically managed in a very specific way and has little to do with the way sodium is managed. Dietary intake of potassium through food will not result in an elevated blood level in a person with normal physiology; only in those with severe renal problems.

Helpful info. Cheers.

I recall reading that potassium to sodium ratio was important.

As for the 1/2 teaspoon in the AM and PM, that = 1 tsp per day of baking soda (sodium) I believe this is below the maximum allowed - IF - I can eliminate or largely reduce my dietary sodium in take in my daily meals.