Health Insurance

kenny999

I have now been in Thailand for just over 18 months with no health insurance, I am only 54 but who knows what can happen in the future, everyone I talk to says why do you need it, well for me it is peace of mind I would rather not have to return to the UK so I am now sorting health insurance out, this is cover 400,000 bht per illness which costs 32,000bht per year I think this is not much for that peace of mind.

Who has Insurance and who thinks it is not worth bothering with?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have many pre existing conditions (pins plates bars and scares variety) and discussions with insurers ended up being highly frustrating in the amount of get out clauses. Eg I was actually at the point of signing up a family policy with bupa a few years ago, and to be fully up front I wanted to declare an MRSA infection I suffered over 10 years ago. When I asked if I had to declare that he replied that "it doesnt matter about that as bupa doesnt cover bacterial infections anyway" erm what !! He was adamant that bupa didnt cover bacterial infections, but to me what is the majority of illness and sickness ?? Infections by bacteria !! It all just seemed like so many escape routes or clauses that might not result in cover or payment.

Also as a young guy with no medical problems and who goes year to year without so much as a cold, I find 90% of the times I know an expat going to hospital its been an accident not an illness. So for years I used a multi trip travel policy for emergency use (about 150 quid a year) which covered me for 90 days incountry at a time, as many times as I liked per year.

Now I have a long stay visa and dont visa run, I use an accident policy but I am not happy with the level of cover. The benefit of the travel policy would have been repatriation to western medical cover in a really bad situation. Having had my first wife die in hospital here forgive me for not having much faith in them.

I have many pre existing conditions (pins plates bars and scares variety) and discussions with insurers ended up being highly frustrating in the amount of get out clauses. Eg I was actually at the point of signing up a family policy with bupa a few years ago, and to be fully up front I wanted to declare an MRSA infection I suffered over 10 years ago. When I asked if I had to declare that he replied that "it doesnt matter about that as bupa doesnt cover bacterial infections anyway" erm what !! He was adamant that bupa didnt cover bacterial infections, but to me what is the majority of illness and sickness ?? Infections by bacteria !! It all just seemed like so many escape routes or clauses that might not result in cover or payment.

Also as a young guy with no medical problems and who goes year to year without so much as a cold, I find 90% of the times I know an expat going to hospital its been an accident not an illness. So for years I used a multi trip travel policy for emergency use (about 150 quid a year) which covered me for 90 days incountry at a time, as many times as I liked per year.

Now I have a long stay visa and dont visa run, I use an accident policy but I am not happy with the level of cover. The benefit of the travel policy would have been repatriation to western medical cover in a really bad situation. Having had my first wife die in hospital here forgive me for not having much faith in them.

I agree Bupa has far to many restrictions, I will be getting the same health insurance as a friend who has lived here for over 18yrs so I know it is a good company, not sure who the company is yet as I have only just asked him about it, will have to go for a medical then they will give me a price but his wife who is the rep says it will be the same premium, according to her I have to get it before I am 55 or it is very difficult to get or will be alot more expensive, my friend has just had an operation in Bangkok Phuket hospital costing over 60,000 bht insurance company paid out with no problems he also got money back again will be going into it more next week.

I will be getting the same health insurance as a friend who has lived here for over 18yrs so I know it is a good company, not sure who the company is yet as I have only just asked him about it, will have to go for a medical then they will give me a price but his wife who is the rep says it will be the same premium,

Sounds very unreliable: your friend has been here for 18 years so the company must be good ??? You don't know which company yet, his wife is the sales rep, and without knowing the result of the medical has told you it will be the same premium ???

I will be getting the same health insurance as a friend who has lived here for over 18yrs so I know it is a good company, not sure who the company is yet as I have only just asked him about it, will have to go for a medical then they will give me a price but his wife who is the rep says it will be the same premium,

Sounds very unreliable: your friend has been here for 18 years so the company must be good ??? You don't know which company yet, his wife is the sales rep, and without knowing the result of the medical has told you it will be the same premium ???

Calm down mate!!!

Assuming I am healthy it will be the same premium, no I do not know which company yet as I have only just asked him, if he has been using the same company for 18 yrs with no problems then yes I assume it must be a good company, yes his wife is the rep I have not talked to her does that answer your questions, there is always one on here!!!

Kenny, 400,000 baht per illness is not a large amount of cover. You can easily run up bills of over 1m baht here, particularly at places such as Bangkok Phuket Hospital. And 32.000 baht per annum for such limited cover sounds expensive to me.

Be careful of agents that represent only one company as they cannot compare products and offer you the best product for your personal circumstances. I'd recommend using an independent insurance broker such as Eric Dohlon.

All health insurance companies work on an age-band basis so whether you buy now or not, the price will still go up when you reach 55. And, subject to your being in good health, you won't have a problem getting insurance until you are over 60.

BUPA and LMG Pacific Healthcare both offer a fairly basic cover at a cheaper price than you have been quoted. On the other hand you can pay a lot more.

There's loads of info on Thai Visa in both the Phuket forum and the Insurance In Thailand forum. Have a look.

Calm down mate!!!

Assuming I am healthy it will be the same premium, no I do not know which company yet as I have only just asked him, if he has been using the same company for 18 yrs with no problems then yes I assume it must be a good company, yes his wife is the rep I have not talked to her does that answer your questions, there is always one on here!!!

I am calm, no problems there., but sounds to me like you should follow mitch's advice.

Kenny, 400,000 baht per illness is not a large amount of cover. You can easily run up bills of over 1m baht here, particularly at places such as Bangkok Phuket Hospital. And 32.000 baht per annum for such limited cover sounds expensive to me.

Be careful of agents that represent only one company as they cannot compare products and offer you the best product for your personal circumstances. I'd recommend using an independent insurance broker such as Eric Dohlon.

All health insurance companies work on an age-band basis so whether you buy now or not, the price will still go up when you reach 55. And, subject to your being in good health, you won't have a problem getting insurance until you are over 60.

BUPA and LMG Pacific Healthcare both offer a fairly basic cover at a cheaper price than you have been quoted. On the other hand you can pay a lot more.

There's loads of info on Thai Visa in both the Phuket forum and the Insurance In Thailand forum. Have a look.

I have been looking for a while now and it is a minefield, I am considering my friends company purely because he and his family have been with them for many years, unfortunately I am limited to how much I can spend on Health insurance as I am on a pension here, I have looked at Thai visa and most are more expensive unless you have a high excess, again I have not gone into my friends insurance company as yet all I can say is that when his son was young he is now 11 he was in hospital many times and the insurance company paid everytime with no problems, I am arranging to go next week to talk with them have the medical and see what they say, yes 400,000 does not seem alot considering how much private healthcare is here but that is per condition I think, also I think you can claim multiple times in one year, again not sure about everything untill I have talked to them.

BUPA (Thailand) is one of the few companies to insure over the age of 65, although you must have signed up before the 60th birthday. Although I must admit that I wonder what BUPA will try a wriggle out of paying. I suppose all insurance companies are the same for that.

<snip> yes 400,000 does not seem alot considering how much private healthcare is here but that is per condition I think, also I think you can claim multiple times in one year, again not sure about everything untill I have talked to them.

I would check that out first as most policies I have examined state the limit per year and not per condition. Might be right as 32,000 baht premium sounds a lot for only a 400,000 baht limit. So maybe it is per condition.

BUPA (Thailand) is one of the few companies to insure over the age of 65, although you must have signed up before the 60th birthday. Although I must admit that I wonder what BUPA will try a wriggle out of paying. I suppose all insurance companies are the same for that.

Its difficult to know what to do, there is nothing wrong with me well I dont think so anyway but you don't know what is going to happen in the future so I guess for me it is just getting some cover so that if something does go wrong the initial diagnosis and hopefully all treatment will be covered, if it is something more serious then it would be back to the UK to fall on the mercy of the NHS also it is peace of mind, I know quite a few people here that have no insurance and do not think it is important maybe they are very wealthy so can afford any treatment. I think providing I pass the medical 400,000 will be ample for my needs but obviously would like to be able to afford alot more..

kenny999

do some research, i have just contacted a company in thailand, i sent them my details and they sent a spreadsheet back with all the companies/prices for my age shown, bupa,axa, lmg etc,

I can let you have a copy it shows prices for male 55yrs and female 50yrs

Edited by steve187

kenny999

do some research, i have just contacted a company in thailand, i sent them my details and they sent a spreadsheet back with all the companies/prices for my age shown, bupa,axa, lmg etc

How old are you Steve, what did the spredsheet say regarding prices and cover?

Its difficult to know what to do, there is nothing wrong with me well I dont think so anyway but you don't know what is going to happen in the future so I guess for me it is just getting some cover so that if something does go wrong the initial diagnosis and hopefully all treatment will be covered, if it is something more serious then it would be back to the UK to fall on the mercy of the NHS also it is peace of mind, I know quite a few people here that have no insurance and do not think it is important maybe they are very wealthy so can afford any treatment. I think providing I pass the medical 400,000 will be ample for my needs but obviously would like to be able to afford alot more..

I know a lot of guys who think that way. A friend on mine with that sort of thinking died last month. He developed a lung infection, ended up in Phuket International ICU. After only 4 days his bill was 140,000 baht, he told them he had no more money or insurance. They told him to get back to the UK and more or less kicked him out. Trouble was he tried to board the flight in Phuket and the airline would not allow him board without a doctor examination, and the doctor would not allow him to travel. The British Consulate was called but all the Embassy could offer was a very very expensive air ambulance. He ended up first in Phuket's Vishara, then was transferred to Hat Yai gov hospital (at further great expense that exhausted his own, his familly, and friends money). He did stabilise and get back to Phuket ready to try the flight to UK. Unfortuantely he took a bad turn and died in Patong Hospital within hours. I write this as a cautionary message to those who think the 'get back to the NHS in UK or their home country' and I'll be OK.

I know a lot of guys who think that way. A friend on mine with that sort of thinking died last month. He developed a lung infection, ended up in Phuket International ICU. After only 4 days his bill was 140,000 baht, he told them he had no more money or insurance. They told him to get back to the UK and more or less kicked him out. Trouble was he tried to board the flight in Phuket and the airline would not allow him board without a doctor examination, and the doctor would not allow him to travel. The British Consulate was called but all the Embassy could offer was a very very expensive air ambulance. He ended up first in Phuket's Vishara, then was transferred to Hat Yai gov hospital (at further great expense that exhausted his own, his familly, and friends money). He did stabilise and get back to Phuket ready to try the flight to UK. Unfortuantely he took a bad turn and died in Patong Hospital within hours. I write this as a cautionary message to those who think the 'get back to the NHS in UK or their home country' and I'll be OK.

That is something I do not think about I came to live here and this is where I want to stay, we all have different budgets I could probably go up to 50,000 bht per year for insurance, yes it's my life but we all do not have a bottomless pocket that is a sad thing to say but true, hopefully the cover I get will be enough well lets hope so.

I have been looking for a while now and it is a minefield, I am considering my friends company purely because he and his family have been with them for many years, unfortunately I am limited to how much I can spend on Health insurance as I am on a pension here, I have looked at Thai visa and most are more expensive unless you have a high excess, again I have not gone into my friends insurance company as yet all I can say is that when his son was young he is now 11 he was in hospital many times and the insurance company paid everytime with no problems, I am arranging to go next week to talk with them have the medical and see what they say, yes 400,000 does not seem alot considering how much private healthcare is here but that is per condition I think, also I think you can claim multiple times in one year, again not sure about everything untill I have talked to them.

I THINK..you should listen to stenen i.. he is ex insurance and has lived here

a long time he has experiance and he knows what hes talking about..dont shout too soon..kenny

You get what you pay for here..BUPA Platinum and Lmg health are probably the best .but expensive..even if you dont take an health policy out...i recomend you take a good accident policy not expensive about 3000 bht per year..most companies do this..go to a good broker.. i have found Eric Dohlan very helpfull..

You get what you pay for here..BUPA Platinum and Lmg health are probably the best .but expensive..even if you dont take an health policy out...i recomend you take a good accident policy not expensive about 3000 bht per year..most companies do this..go to a good broker.. i have found Eric Dohlan very helpfull..

I have accident insurance with Siam commercial which cost 30,000 for 3 years, 300,000 bht per claim with 5 million death benefit

400k cover per illness is close to no cover

I would contact Thaivisa Insurance to get quotes for several Insurance companies, and then check with your preferred hospitals in Phuket if they accept any of these companies/ give them credit on your treatment/accept treatmentcosts as ordered by doctors.

The law for Insurancecompanies in LOS is not the same as in the west, sometimes they are unable to pay their bills here, then there is no treatment

400k cover per illness is close to no cover

I would contact Thaivisa Insurance to get quotes for several Insurance companies, and then check with your preferred hospitals in Phuket if they accept any of these companies/ give them credit on your treatment/accept treatmentcosts as ordered by doctors.

The law for Insurancecompanies in LOS is not the same as in the west, sometimes they are unable to pay their bills here, then there is no treatment

Hi I did contact TV insurance,,, not impressed at all, go to Eric he know his stuff,, ask TV if they cover MC accident and how much :)

LMG's Mega Series plans offer good comprehensive coverage at reasonable prices, and certainly better pricing than a lot of the "ex-pat" specific insurers from abroad.

LMG also offers coverage when policy holders get older, provided you've started a policy with them by a certain age.

I'd agree with a prior comment that BUPA's Platinum plans and LMG's Mega Series plans are among the best "western style" insurance coverage to be had each. But each has different details, different exclusions and somewhat different pricing... So compare the details of both to see how they fit with your needs and finances.

A good independent insurance broker can provide quotes and policy details for both LMG and BUPA....

If you dont live in the uk or the eu you will get no free health in the uk unless you are on the electoral register and have'nt declared your self non resident for tax reasons so be careful

My two cents.

I would go and get medical cover in your own country and have the top whack travel insurance for injury / accident to cover shipping you back to home country and anything minor just pay for at Bangkok Phuket hospital. Yes there are some world class hospitals (Bumungrad in Bangkok etc). should you need anything major but they come with world class prices too.

But here's just some of the problems you're likely to encounter with International cover (Bupa anyway). If you already have held cover in your home country, policies are not transferable, you cant move it to Thailand and then back again if you wanted to and if you return to your own country with having got a an international policy, this cant be converted to a local policy either, so will be paying twice as much to maintain an international policy. For me if I took out intertnational cover it meant starting again and discounting things that are covered in the UK (underwent major spine surgery in the UK last year) and these are exactly the things I do want covered. The same goes for none non international, ie. taking out just a Bupa Phuket policy, you start againwith list of none covered things. Also for worse cover with more limitations they are more expensive than the UK. While you are fit with no ailments I would get cover from your own country post haste and don't let it lapse, as you start again and should any fixed problems that flare up again aren't covered.

I would go and get medical cover in your own country and have the top whack travel insurance for injury / accident to cover shipping you back to home country and anything minor just pay for at Bangkok Phuket hospital. Yes there are some world class hospitals (Bumungrad in Bangkok etc). should you need anything major but they come with world class prices too.

That is an option. Just be truthful on the application and tell them honestly where you are living. Don't lie on this, or it will bite you in the future, and with these kind of things that can be a major bite.

That is an option. Just be truthful on the application and tell them honestly where you are living. Don't lie on this, or it will bite you in the future, and with these kind of things that can be a major bite.

AGREE...I go back and to from UK for treatment at least 2 times a year..BUT.I am on the electoral list, i am registered with my GP and the hospital

and i have good UK holiday insurance with MEDICARE[for my preconditions] wich i always disclose..i also have avery good doctor at Phuket Intrnational Hospital who has all my medical records,were sometimes i have some treatment which i pay for..this is probably as good as i can get..it works for me..ITS All about getting the right balance what suits you..but one thing for sure..Dont lie..

IMO If getting a UK policy while being predominantly out here but being on electoral role in the UK and having a UK GP for your referral then I don't see what you've got to worry about. You are not expecting any treatment in LOS and decent travel insurance will get you home in an emergency in most cases. Even if you were to have got in a mess as result of dengue or something else, you will still be treated once referred by a GP. It's not like you can never take a holiday. Maybe there is small print somewhere but in my experience having had several procedures and two operations they just assume you are in the UK as my cover was set up from my UK address and they have never periodically asked where I live or where I spend most of my time.

Not telling your travel insurance you are basically living in thailnd means they accepted you on false information. You living in thailand significantly increases the risk, and gives the insurance a reason not to pay in case of a claim.

Not telling your travel insurance you are basically living in thailnd means they accepted you on false information. You living in thailand significantly increases the risk, and gives the insurance a reason not to pay in case of a claim.

What you're implying is that people have to be "living" somewhere to have travel insurance, the clue is in the name.

Lloyds TSB offer a maximum of 6 months, which is fine as I always exit regularly and renew when the six months is up. They have no problem with this as nothing is being falsely stated when applying for it and each time they're more than happy to take half the maximum payout per lost / stolen item per year as a premium

Edited by afx