Samui To Be Declared No-Smoking City

i can see this working and being implemented ............ not whistling.gif

i hope samui doesn't inherite the BIG ( boys in Green ) that bangkok has that are purely there to extort tourists out of money .......

....got a brilliant point there, this maybe all this is about!

hope they ban the bblack smoke coming out of lorries that i regulary breath in when i am on my motor bike. Either the canser from that will get me or the crazy over taking the lorry to avoid it will..... probably need a cigarrette just thinkinghh about it

Haha, yes 100% agree, and bikes too not just the lorries... I like to tell them they have problem with the bike and usually smile back nicely and look like nothing happened they drive continue smokie :)

By the way, yesterday 4-5Pm in Bangrak i see some thai guy drinking chang beer and driving motorbike, that not bad too...

smoking drinking and driving interesting was he eating a dohnut at the same time lol

i hope samui doesn't inherite the BIG ( boys in Green ) that bangkok has that are purely there to extort tourists out of money .......

of i got fined for smoking then there really would be something wrong cause i haven't started smoking yet

of i got fined for smoking then there really would be something wrong cause i haven't started smoking yet

they dont just fine smokers BigC .. no one is immune from them

they dont just fine smokers BigC .. no one is immune from them

suppose it depends on what u r smoking. some smoking has beenn banned for hundred's of years B) Example Amsterdam. u can smoke green but not tabbacco. made eyes go even redder :ph34r:

Well, I would love to see this implemented, and enforced. Though the law has been on the books for some time, there are very, very few places in Samui which enforce it. As a non-smoker, I have a very hard time finding a seat in a restaurant, where I do not have to be subjected to the obnoxious smoke of those around me. I ask for the no-smoking section, and the response I get is "oh no problem, you can smoke anywhere". I would be both astonished and surprised if this is enforced. How about just making bars and restaurants put up signs, so that those of us who choose not to smoke, can point out the law to others? The only place I know of on Samui that even has a sign, is the Spa in Lamai. And they enforce it inside. Wow, what civility. The mayor here is extremely weak. He does very little for the people, such as using the budget allocated for the roads, to actually repave the ring road around the island, or enforce noise limits on the beachfront bars. Now, with the new chaweng beach pigs operating the newly expanded Ark Bar, the music can be heard from quite a distance. If you live on, or near the beach, or on the surrounding mountains, you can hear this noise for many kilometers. So, with the incompetence, and indifference being exhibited by Jaikwong, the Mayor, I am not sure anything is going to change, though I would love to see it, and so would thousands of others. The reality is that Samui is going to become a tourist relic, if the Thai people do not wake up soon. Prices are going up everywhere, laws are not being enforced, tourists are being ripped off by jet ski operators, restaurants, etc., and all of the Thai people just assume the world cannot, and will not live without Thailand, or Samui.

The reality is that there is absolutely no enforcement whatsoever on Samui, with regard to the no-smoking laws in effect throughout the country. When I travel, I see it being enforced in Pattaya, Bangkok,

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chaiyaphum, Ayutthaya, and so many other spots. Why not in Samui? Why such laxity? I know of only one restaurant on the island that even posts a sign. At least if there were signs

posted, those of us who chose not to indulge, could point the sign out to those who choose to offend. I walk into restaurants and ask for the non-smoking section, and the answer I get is: "No problem, you

can smoke anywhere". It is very frustrating, and there feels like the average person can do little about it. Many of us have contacted the Mayor's office, and complained, and they promised something would be

done, and that inspections commence. That was a very long time ago. I have a rather strong allergy to cigarette smoke, and it makes eating around it very unpleasant. I am always forced to sit on the periphery,

or in an area where nobody is seated, or occasionally compelled to move once of twice, during the meal. With so many parts of the world getting on board with the no-smoking laws, Samui is becoming seriously out of

step with other resort areas.

The reality is that there is absolutely no enforcement whatsoever on Samui, with regard to the no-smoking laws in effect throughout the country. When I travel, I see it being enforced in Pattaya, Bangkok,

Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chaiyaphum, Ayutthaya, and so many other spots. Why not in Samui? Why such laxity? I know of only one restaurant on the island that even posts a sign. At least if there were signs

posted, those of us who chose not to indulge, could point the sign out to those who choose to offend. I walk into restaurants and ask for the non-smoking section, and the answer I get is: "No problem, you

can smoke anywhere". It is very frustrating, and there feels like the average person can do little about it. Many of us have contacted the Mayor's office, and complained, and they promised something would be

done, and that inspections commence. That was a very long time ago. I have a rather strong allergy to cigarette smoke, and it makes eating around it very unpleasant. I am always forced to sit on the periphery,

or in an area where nobody is seated, or occasionally compelled to move once of twice, during the meal. With so many parts of the world getting on board with the no-smoking laws, Samui is becoming seriously out of

this is what makes samui more sepcial than anywhere else. the more freedome. i used to smoke. gave up 11 years ago. though i don't care about people smoking as long as it is not in a resturant of in a public place but then they don't do it anyway. out doors i am not fussed

How could you possibly say they do not do it in a restaurant? When was the last time you were in Samui? I see it every day. I cannot find a place where there are not smokers indoors. Please speak only of that which you have knowledge.

this is what makes samui more sepcial than anywhere else. the more freedome. i used to smoke. gave up 11 years ago. though i don't care about people smoking as long as it is not in a resturant of in a public place but then they don't do it anyway. out doors i am not fussed

i'm not a smoker but it doesn't bother me really. however, driving on the ring road this morning behind a line of local construction and delivery trucks all belching thick black smoke into the air does.

now if only they could find some way to blame farang for all of the local pollution, something might get done.

i'm not a smoker but it doesn't bother me really. however, driving on the ring road this morning behind a line of local construction and delivery trucks all belching thick black smoke into the air does.

now if only they could find some way to blame farang for all of the local pollution, something might get done.

Black smoke from exhausts. No way, we are officially a green island.

Black smoke from exhausts. No way, we are officially a green island.

Ban all cars! Pushbike rental 50 Baht/day. B)

horse drawn cart and bicycles are what they do on mackinac island.

a proper bus service is pretty much all that is needed, it could be free to residents and offset by tourists and advertising.

Heavily discounted weekly or monthly travel cards...more expensive for single trips or daily ones. Doesn't need huge imagination and would cut fuel emissions and save lives on Samui's roads.

Tourists would be happy as well. Win win all round.

horse drawn cart and bicycles are what they do on mackinac island.

a proper bus service is pretty much all that is needed, it could be free to residents and offset by tourists and advertising.

Heavily discounted weekly or monthly travel cards...more expensive for single trips or daily ones. Doesn't need huge imagination and would cut fuel emissions and save lives on Samui's roads.

Tourists would be happy as well. Win win all round.

what about a samui mono rail..mono elbow !!!!

what about an island full of those two wheeled gyro stabilized scooters that were supposed to take over the world a few years back?

i guess it didn't work though because i can't even remember the name of the thing that was supposed to revolutionize cities everywhere.