Dog Breeding In Los

p1p

I have been rescuing large dogs from owners who could not care for them for several years now and been truly shocked by the idiocy of breeders here in Thailand. I have never yet encountered a breeder who knew or cared the first thing about genetics and inbreeding. Almost every dog we have taken on has had quite severe abnormalities symptomatic of inbreeding. (I should point out that in every case the previous owners were unaware of these problems. In most cases, they could not cope with an adorable puppy that grew up to weigh, in many cases, more than they did!)

I mostly only take large or giant breeds, train or retrain them and find new homes. Over the years I have had St. Bernards, Fila Braziliero, Danes, Rottweilers, German Shepherds and many others.

Problems have ranged from dysplasia of hips and shoulder joints, palate or mouth deformities, twisted guts and more, none of which was brought to the attention of the owners, even by the veterinarians who must have checked and inoculated them.

Two Rottweilers who came a few years back seem to exemplify the problem. They were bred and “trained” by a faculty member of the agricultural department of a large, well regarded university in LOS, a man who should have known better.

These dogs, a dog and bitch, were sold to their owner as a.) Guard dogs and b.) Breeding stock. They were members of the same litter, both suffered from bad hip dysplasia and the bitch eventually had to be put to sleep due to her internal problems. I had to take them on because, with his “Guard Dog Training” the breeder had trained them to attack everything and everybody. He delivered them and put them in cages at their new home. After he left, the purchaser could do nothing with them without being in danger. (I collected them from him three months later.)

(I also, later took on a third member of the same litter. He was equally as deformed and equally dangerous.)

If you are a dog lover and like the idea of owning a big dog, please, please try to find out everything you can about the puppy you are considering bringing home. Get to know its parentage and their parents too. Have puppy and parents checked by a vet, preferably foreign trained, who knows what he is doing. Be absolutely ruthless in your decision to turn down any animal whose parents or grandparents are, in any way related. Do not accept any dog who displays any abnormality whatsoever.

Lastly, if you own a dog, please have it checked for genetic abnormalities such as hip dysplasia etc. and, if it has any such symptoms. Have it neutered.

It seems we can not teach breeders here how to look after their large breeds. Please lets not add to the problem by allowing our deformed animals to keep adding to the gene pool.

• 2 weeks later...

spot on p1p, exactly my experience! dogbreeders here focus mainly on the profit they gain from selling their puppies rather than the quality or even enhancing a breed. there might be some exceptions, but very few i'm afraid.

i also rescue dogs of any kind, mainly thai strays but i have also 6 german shepherds and one dane. the dane has blue eyes and is born deaf. this is the result mixing two harleys (black and white colour) which is not allowed by standards. when i informed the seller about this the answer was, 'but thai people like the white colour, black danes don't sell' . thankfully my dane wasn't killed because of that, presumably they weren't aware of his handicap. still he is a joy to have and i love him to death.

i also know of rottweillers with bone and joint problems and demodex which gives the owner as well as the dogs a lot of trouble and sorrow :o

I brought a Golden retriever from Khon kaen a few months back for 4000bht he would of course come from a pup factory. So I am worried about possible problems as he gets older

Any way of tell if he will have problem or not the dog is now just under 5 months old

I totally agree with the OP. But I think the quality of caring for dogs here is terrible. Starting from breeders down to the owners. I see many dogs in peoples property, but never see them walking their dogs at all. Sad really, reminds me of a car sticker I once saw, "a dog is for life not just for christmas".

How true..

Bang..........

I totally agree with the OP. But I think the quality of caring for dogs here is terrible. Starting from breeders down to the owners. I see many dogs in peoples property, but never see them walking their dogs at all. Sad really, reminds me of a car sticker I once saw, "a dog is for life not just for christmas".

How true..

Bang..........

i bought a retriever from a market. she is wonderful. my niece is a vet and she checked it out before we bought it so i guess i dont have those problems listed above.

she really knows her stuff and is the vet of many film stars etc

How true..

Bang..........

i bought a retriever from a market. she is wonderful. my niece is a vet and she checked it out before we bought it so i guess i dont have those problems listed above.

she really knows her stuff and is the vet of many film stars etc

Can't they afford real doctors.....sorry.....I'll leave now........oh lassie and rin tin tin.............going now..............sorrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy..............