Mashed Potato

thaibeachlovers

Indeed! Or anything else... If it needs serious work to mash it then you haven't boiled them long enough... When I make mash potatoes it gets mashed with a spoon or fork just fine, after adding some butter and milk. (And cheese, optionally)

Or put them in a pan, then crush with a slightly smaller pan.. Or indeed anything else. ;)

There's spud mashers available locally but as far as I am aware, they are all variations on plastic rubbish. Put it this way; the spud is a Western staple as rice is an Oriental staple. If you can't get a decent quality and reasonably priced rice cooker off the shelf in Scunthorpe, you're not going to get a decent quality and reasonably priced tattie masher in Pattaya.

I brought mine from Aberdeen!

For WTK... some people like their mash to have some stiffness, so you can make holes in it and pour gravy in it, etc. Sounds like you prefer the puree style of mashed spuds. Are you French?

This is a bit like the guy a few weeks ago who wanted "'manual egg beater".

My reply to both were/are.....get a fork !!

Incidentaly...did the egg beater guy get his impliment?? I've not seen any lighter than air omelets floating arround yet.

Edited by gennisis

This is a bit like the guy a few weeks ago who wanted "'manual egg beater".

My reply to both were/are.....get a fork !!

Incidentaly...did the egg beater guy get his impliment?? I've not seen any lighter than air omelets floating arround yet.

I'm left wondering if you communicate with your neighbours via smoke signals....:blink:

Indeed! Or anything else... If it needs serious work to mash it then you haven't boiled them long enough... When I make mash potatoes it gets mashed with a spoon or fork just fine, after adding some butter and milk. (And cheese, optionally)

Or put them in a pan, then crush with a slightly smaller pan.. Or indeed anything else. ;)

Yes agree 100%.. the fork is the tool........... who needs more than that really?????

Glegolo

FYI Nan Laew You can buy A electric rice cooker of the shelf in Scunthorpe For £33.69 Have you ever been to Scunthorpe. Belive it or not you can buy A tatty masher here as well

Exactly! 1600 baht for a friggn' rice cooker? It's an alien technology compared to boiling spuds in a pot.

Why on earth would I go to Scunthorpe (but thanks for asking)?

So, what's the price of a genuine British, stainless-steel spud masher?

Thanks for all the answers.

For those that say a fork etc, perhaps I'm just pedantic, but I like to use the right tool for the job!

I wonder what they used before they invented a masher :whistling:

I remember when I was a wee boy, my mam used to use my dad.

.....and adding an egg yolk (not fried) into the mashed tatties makes them go really fluffy if you like them that way!

BTW while on the subject of utensils...i'm looking for a decent steel cheese grater...i have a plastic one which is almost completely useless.

Macro i guess..

Search over. Central department store. Thanks Phil.

They had a very nice one for 350b, but I bought the 150b Prestige model. They also have a stainless Potato presser, but at over 1000b it's way more than I could justify for something going to be used once a month at most.

Thanks for all the replies.

They also have lots of SS cheese graters of various styles.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

.....and adding an egg yolk (not fried) into the mashed tatties makes them go really fluffy if you like them that way!

BTW while on the subject of utensils...i'm looking for a decent steel cheese grater...i have a plastic one which is almost completely useless.

Macro i guess..

for cheese grater, and masher, both steel, Central dept store, all locations housewares dept , Foodland, True Value,

there are other upscale dept stores thru out Bkk that carry them

I am still searching for cast iron skillets

Edited by featography