New Technology To Produce Ethanol

Jai Dee

A NEW WAY OF PRODUCING ETHANOL HAS BEEN DISCOVERED

The National Research Council of Thailand has discovered a new technology to produce ethanol from tapiocas. This breakthrough can help Thailand deal with the insufficient supply of ethanol.

Mr. ARNON BOONYARATVET (อานนท์ บุณยะรัตเวช), the Secretary-General of the National Research Council of Thailand, said the council has continuously provided funds to KASETSART (เกษตรศาสตร์) University over the past four years. The funds have supported the faculty to conduct extensive research on ethanol production.

Mr. ARNON said the new ethanol production method will contain a new type of enzyme, which can be processed and converted to ethanol within just 36 to 48 hours. Furthermore, the cost of production can be reduced significantly.

Mr. ARNON stated that the council is preparing to pass on this technological innovation to interested industrial businesses. Thus, they would be able to help Thailand reduce its energy imports.

Source: thaisnews.com

Interesting. But I disagree with the whole concept of adding alcohol to fuel.

Quote:

Alcohol was introduced into our commercial fuels in recent years. But alcohol related problems such as corrosion and water absorption have systematically been kept from the public. A very real cover-up has occurred for greed and political reasons. Mileage drops as high as 50-percent are real (in our own testing) for instance.

If mileage can drop by half then where is the saving ?

I guess - I hope - that Khun Arnon means that Kasetsart has discovered a way to increase the yield of Ethanol from Tapioca (Cassava); production of Ethanol from a variety of agricultural products - including sugarcane, wheat, corn, rice, coconut oil and tapioca - is certainly not new technology.

Patrick