Cheapest Way To Do The Lao Border Run

ThaiTrav

Recently I had to do the dreaded border run.Chose Lao this time as am getting bit sick of Cambodia plus thought to make a bit of a holiday of it this time.Thankfully I did a bit of research prior to going as there are many scams going here some of which I didn't even know of. Thought I 'd share the experience with fellow folk out there, if one thingreading this will keep some of your hard earned cash in your pocket to enjoy as you wish.

Well...I don't know if this is a good thing or not cause it always seems to get me into hot situations but I want to do it Cheapest Charlie Style,not that I,m hard up for cash but it gives me the control to direct my cash to areas I want it to go.. even if its the hungry Isaarn Girl.... Ha Ha.

Firstly go and exchange some Thai Baht into U.S Dollar notes $1 denominations get about !,400 baht worth, you'll need this later.

Heres what I did Got the bus Standard seat to Nong Khai 800Bht. Seat quite roomy and went well back it was going to be a night trip and I actually slept not that I normally sleep in the seated position. I was Impressed.

Arrived Nong Khai 8am as I got off the bus ...careful here ,we're are gullable FARANG.& stand out like dogs balls particularly if you are just standing in one place holding your bag. Could see nothing but Tuk Tuks and the drivers kept "TUK TUK TUK TUK ..Where you go! Sir Tuk Tuk. I ignored them firstly because I didn't know the local thai rate of them and remember the worst thing you can say is "How much To the Border" You are more or less opening your wallet that way saying take what you want.Couldn't see a taxi meter or any other so had to succumbe to the tuk tuk who then proceeded to the Border about 5min drive.

For some reason then he pulled off the road along with another tuk tuk with farang in it following behind me ,the border was still not in sight and pulls up outside a little shop marked THAI-LAO Border Office or something similar. SCAM HIGH ALERT!! "Need to fill form out here Sir we take you!" Luckily I'd done my research" NO" I replied , you should of seen the faces on the other farang looked at me like I was out of my mind. "You go border sir need to do fill form 2000bht!"

"NO I do at Lao Immigration Office at the border" I replied . "Lao Immigration Office Closed its Sunday" . Now for a moment I nearly gave way but quick thinking surely the Lao immigration office can't close, its the border people coming and going all the time... but it was Sunday! "OK I go see, if closed, you bring me back ".Now be careful because they will stand their ground and argue ,remember they want your money.Not wanting to waste more time I pretended to phone a friend who I said was waiting for me at the border ,"take me to him." That more or less killed the topic and begrudgingly the tuk tuk driver continued to just around the corner to the border 100baht total from bus station. Make note travellers the border is out of sight at the scam office but the border is not far ahead if you have to walk it.

Checking out through the Thai Immigration is no problem but when you go to the Lao Office you have to fill out a simple form similar to your departure arrival card on a plan. The same one the scam office would have filled out on your behalf for 1000bht clear profit to them.Now the same window you present that form to you have to pay money about $1300 or 1400 baht. Heres where you ask Can I pay in U.S Dollars? The fee was $30 ,another little bit saved!!!.....and continue on your merry way. I went to Vientiane and coming back the bus from there to BBK 800bht .........Easy.Good Luck!

About 12 years ago I did a visa run to Laos. The immigration officers going into Laos said they only accepted payment for the Lao visa in US dollars, but as friendly fellows, they had a friend there who would change my Baht to US dollars at a good rate. Scam ! I also became rather irritable as I am Australian, and the Aussie government paid for that bridge. But I didn't say anything as I know how nasty immigration officials can be sometimes.....

No I have a B Visa It was a 90day extention!

If you get off of the bus outside Tesco Lotus, in Nong Khai, (next time you do the run) the Tuk Tuks have a standard fare to the Friendship Bridge of 30THB per person.

More money saved and you don't have to go all the way to the bus station!

wink.gif

No I have a B Visa It was a 90day extention!

If you get off of the bus outside Tesco Lotus, in Nong Khai, (next time you do the run) the Tuk Tuks have a standard fare to the Friendship Bridge of 30THB per person.

More money saved and you don't have to go all the way to the bus station!

wink.gif

Noted !!!!....."thanks!

Do not ask to pay in dollars just give it to them,and dont forget to have the 1 dollar overtime fee extra as well if entering before 8am and after 4.30? for most people it is 35$ + 1$

20 bt on the local bus to Vietainne bus station pass all the touts and swerve to your right you will see the small mini buses(light blue)on the right.

You don't say where you caught the bus from. I went on Sunday for a tourist visa

VIP bus from Chiangmai to Udonthani +- 600 baht (very comfortable) leaves at 20:00 arrives about 07:00 next morning.

local bus from Udonthani to Nongkhai 35 baht ( earliest one left at 8:30 and took over an hour )

same story with the tuk-tuk (except that they filled in the forms and included transport to the bridge and onwards to my choice of address in Vientiane for total of 400 baht)

$35 needed for visa normally - extra 50 baht or $1 if outside office hours or on a Sunday.

Arrived at destination in Vientiane at noon - would have been too late to apply for a visa if I had been planning to do it on the same day.

Stayed in low-budget 1 bed room in Vientiane with en-suite bathroom for 250 baht per night.

I've been before via AYA minibus which got me there in time to apply for the visa on the same day (cost 1800 baht - return + 200 to get me from the bridge into Vientiane)

I preferred the more leisurely way - didn't feel like my life was in as much danger as on the AYA trip.

You don't say where you caught the bus from. I went on Sunday for a tourist visa

VIP bus from Chiangmai to Udonthani +- 600 baht (very comfortable) leaves at 20:00 arrives about 07:00 next morning.

local bus from Udonthani to Nongkhai 35 baht ( earliest one left at 8:30 and took over an hour )

same story with the tuk-tuk (except that they filled in the forms and included transport to the bridge and onwards to my choice of address in Vientiane for total of 400 baht)

$35 needed for visa normally - extra 50 baht or $1 if outside office hours or on a Sunday.

Arrived at destination in Vientiane at noon - would have been too late to apply for a visa if I had been planning to do it on the same day.

Stayed in low-budget 1 bed room in Vientiane with en-suite bathroom for 250 baht per night.

I've been before via AYA minibus which got me there in time to apply for the visa on the same day (cost 1800 baht - return + 200 to get me from the bridge into Vientiane)

I preferred the more leisurely way - didn't feel like my life was in as much danger as on the AYA trip.

Really 400Bt?? Must go up and down with their mood, I got the buss from Pattaya, You know it really pays to read a little first and wise up ,The money these visa runs can scam off you or even still if you think you can save money by doing it yourself still doesn't protect you without knowledge of the scams and they are thck as and well heeled at their trade. I'm sure this posdt will help fellow travellers ,I,m still learning too !! "thanks! for your input!

If it is a border run for a non-imm-multi, that seems like an awful lot of pain to go through. Cheap ticket to Singapore and back. No cost for most people for Sg entry. No 16+ hours on busses. Public transport into town to do a bit of shopping OR just fly right back out. (Same idea for KL etc)

There really is a thing as being too cheap :)

If it is a border run for a non-imm-multi, that seems like an awful lot of pain to go through. Cheap ticket to Singapore and back. No cost for most people for Sg entry. No 16+ hours on busses. Public transport into town to do a bit of shopping OR just fly right back out. (Same idea for KL etc)

Yeah I checked those options but 2 pricey think because of High Season Jan everyone flying back home.Could have flown 800bt Air Asia to Vietnam was cheap but there's the hassal to get Visa to get in there!

I like travelling. I like the journey.

It means meeting the kind of people I don't normally meet. I could look out of the window and see the mountains and jungle in the moonlight. It inspired a pleasantly mysterious mood. I had fun speaking to the different people I met while waiting for the bus to to Nongkhai. I experienced the hillarity of a woman, her baby, and a beautifull schoolgirl with a wedding ring on her finger on the Udonthani-Nongkhai bus. I got lost walking to the embassy because I didn't take a taxi and discovered a huge market without a single foreigner and some lovely innocent and friendly Laotians (not at all like those in the city centre). On the way back I met a Swiss businessman who runs a farm in the Alps as a hobby. He had spent a few weeks in a tiny Isan village and he showed me some fascinating photos of how the Thais process rice using ancient equipment. How is it that the Swiss don't need visas to stay in Thailand?

My point is that I wouldn't have had those kinds of experiences while being hermetically sealed in an airliner. It's not a journey. It's a transfer.

I've tried both ways and I prefer the cheap. There's more life in it.

I like travelling. I like the journey.

It means meeting the kind of people I don't normally meet. I could look out of the window and see the mountains and jungle in the moonlight. It inspired a pleasantly mysterious mood. I had fun speaking to the different people I met while waiting for the bus to to Nongkhai. I experienced the hillarity of a woman, her baby, and a beautifull schoolgirl with a wedding ring on her finger on the Udonthani-Nongkhai bus. I got lost walking to the embassy because I didn't take a taxi and discovered a huge market without a single foreigner and some lovely innocent and friendly Laotians (not at all like those in the city centre). On the way back I met a Swiss businessman who runs a farm in the Alps as a hobby. He had spent a few weeks in a tiny Isan village and he showed me some fascinating photos of how the Thais process rice using ancient equipment. How is it that the Swiss don't need visas to stay in Thailand?

My point is that I wouldn't have had those kinds of experiences while being hermetically sealed in an airliner. It's not a journey. It's a transfer.

I've tried both ways and I prefer the cheap. There's more life in it.

Good reply domprz and very true,the fun is indeed in travelling but then some people put money before experience!

domprz --- 16 hours on a bus (not hermetically sealed) versus 3 hours in a plane. The chance to meet people still exists. The chance to explore still exists. What is eliminated is sitting next to someone reeking of pla raa for 8 hours, (each way) The risks of death and dismemberment on Thai roads with an overnight bus trip etc.

With the visa that the OP has, he has no need to go to an embassy so could explore to his heart's content. There is also the ability to take advantage of AirAsia's cattlecar service (and incredible deals)

Even the train is a far safer and better option :) I've spent my time crammed in busses and frankly it is godawful.

Nakhon Chai air is most definately not awful and is one of the best ways to travel in Thailand also there safety record is excellent

I will take the plaa comment as a joke and not as a slur against the thais favourite dish because being in Thailand you do love the Thai people don't you?

Air asia you said it! :ermm:

surely you are taking the piss? do you think these cheap bastards would splash out on a trip to Singapore? the highlight of their day is saving 50 baht on the tuk tuk.

I grow so tired of these epic tales of scams aborted.

I realize it is difficult to believe that i am not impressed by the op making a fake phone call to intellectually vanquish a scheming tuk tuk driver, but one wonders how much of a rube he must have appeared to have them try it on in the first place.

Image James Bond locked and loaded to infiltrate "scam country" with 400 baht worth of thai singles.

You would think that they were going into battle rather than a simple border crossing.

Edited by nocturn

Nakhon Chai air is most definately not awful and is one of the best ways to travel in Thailand also there safety record is excellent

I will take the plaa comment as a joke and not as a slur against the thais favourite dish because being in Thailand you do love the Thai people don't you?

I would suggest 2 things -----

1) Plaa Raa is a condiment/ingredient and it stinks worse than durian. It is used in SOME dishes that some Thai people would call their favorite dish (SomTam PLaa Raa) fortunately for me you won't find it in the houses of any of my extended Thai family. You are welcome to it in copious quantities :) You are welcome to sit for 8 hours pinned in with a seatmate that reeks of it. Worstcase scenario with plaaraa breath on a plane is less than 2 hours (and only if the plane is both full AND the seatbelt sign is on the whole time :) I wouldn't want to be on a bus in Korea for 8 hours next to someone reeking of traditional kim chee or fermented tofu in Taiwan.

2) Nakhon Chai actually is probably the best bus service in the country. They are, however, still running at night on Thai roads.

Nocturn --- my point was if you plan well, a daytrip via air to Sg or KL for a border run is as cheap and fare less hassle than a bus trip.

Edited by jdinasia

Firstly, thanks to the OP for posting his report.

Secondly, from the comments about the pros and cons about bus vs plane, it would appear that some prefer to travel on the bus and some on the plane. What I find difficult to understand is why it is important to convince others that one way is better than the other. Surely it would be enough just to state your preference and leave it at that?

For me, it would depend on what I was doing at the time, sometimes I may quite fancy a bus trip, for the reasons stated, you get to experience things you might not otherwise see. On other occasions it may be more appealing just to hop on a 'plane, get the visa run done, and get back to my life as quickly as possible.

Why the need to make an argument out of it?

surely you are taking the piss? do you think these cheap bastards would splash out on a trip to Singapore? the highlight of their day is saving 50 baht on the tuk tuk.

I realize it is difficult to believe that i am not impressed by the op making a fake phone call to intellectually vanquish a scheming tuk tuk driver, but one wonders how much of a rube he must have appeared to have them try it on in the first place.

Image James Bond locked and loaded to infiltrate "scam country" with 400 baht worth of thai singles.

You would think that they were going into battle rather than a simple border crossing.

If you want to go through life paying ovet the odds for everything go right ahead.

If you don't like reading such reports and this one was clearly marked then don't.

To the OP thanks.

I can't believe your post if your sick & tired don't comment or read it! I posted this to inform others of the scams and lurks that exist out there because I believed my experience might help others who don't want to pay over the top of what can be achieved. A post better suited to you mate would be I flew First class on Lao Air Paid the going rate got scammed to the hilt probably not even knowing it then flew back, how boring!

Edited by ThaiTrav

Really 400Bt?? Must go up and down with their mood, I got the buss from Pattaya, You know it really pays to read a little first and wise up ,The money these visa runs can scam off you or even still if you think you can save money by doing it yourself still doesn't protect you without knowledge of the scams and they are thck as and well heeled at their trade. I'm sure this posdt will help fellow travellers ,I,m still learning too !! "thanks! for your input!

If you had not assumed they were trying to scam you; you would have discovered that they were offering the same to you as to me. Laos customs charge (for british passport) $35 visa entry fee. You can pay in baht but it is at the exchange rate of 50 baht to the dollar. I'll leave the arithmetic to you.

There is a word to describe over-active scam detection. It's paranoia. :jap:

I would suggest 2 things -----

1) Plaa Raa is a condiment/ingredient and it stinks worse than durian. It is used in SOME dishes that some Thai people would call their favorite dish (SomTam PLaa Raa) fortunately for me you won't find it in the houses of any of my extended Thai family. You are welcome to it in copious quantities :) You are welcome to sit for 8 hours pinned in with a seatmate that reeks of it. Worstcase scenario with plaaraa breath on a plane is less than 2 hours (and only if the plane is both full AND the seatbelt sign is on the whole time :) I wouldn't want to be on a bus in Korea for 8 hours next to someone reeking of traditional kim chee or fermented tofu in Taiwan.

2) Nakhon Chai actually is probably the best bus service in the country. They are, however, still running at night on Thai roads.

Nocturn --- my point was if you plan well, a daytrip via air to Sg or KL for a border run is as cheap and fare less hassle than a bus trip.

I see where you're coming from with the fermented fish, it does stink. But durian, I love durian. The waft when you open the door on a fridge full of durian. I'm counting down the days till durian season. At one time I was spending 5000 baht a month on the stuff although I've cut down since then. Did you know there are over 200 varieties and some of the rarer ones might go for 15000 baht or more. One of the reasons I'm in Nonthaburi is for the durian. Quite simply it is THE KING OF FRUITS !!!

Also, if you live in Bangkok it might be worth mentioning that you can get the Laos visa done there before you go and it used to be cheaper than at the border . 600 baht I seem to remember. Not sure if it still is. It also saves a lot of time because I've been before where it can take two hours for the Laos immigration to process your visa on arrival. If you're in a hurry to get to the Thai embassy it might help.

Whenever I used to go I used to hire a taxi from the border for the whole time I was there. I found that that saved me money as well because rather than one fare he would know that he had more trips out of me and a gaurantee of more money to come, and the price would be good. It's always been good for me and you get to know the driver a bit as well. One time he took me to meet his family in some village somwhere which was nice.

Also, if you live in Bangkok it might be worth mentioning that you can get the Laos visa done there before you go and it used to be cheaper than at the border . 600 baht I seem to remember. Not sure if it still is. It also saves a lot of time because I've been before where it can take two hours for the Laos immigration to process your visa on arrival.

Normally it does not take much time on the friendship bridge.

Unless .... and this is the caveat .... a bus of kids from Khao San road just arrived. Of course these kids don't know how to fill out the forms and then it can take forever to just process this bus.

Happened to me last time and no fun at all. Not talking about the dense smells.

What is the name of this 250 baht a night gaff in Vientiane?

Here's the details of a much nicer place. I think the cheapest room was 200 baht per night. When I arrived this time all rooms were occupied except the 800 baht per night ones. Try booking in advance.

Orchid Guest House

33 Fangum Road

Ban Mixay

Ventiane

Laos

tel: (856-21) 25 2825

fax: (856-21) 21 6588

You have to fill in the address and phone nos of the place you're staying at in Vientiane on the Thai visa application form. I always use this one regardless.

The place I stayed at the last time is just around the corner if you walk past Orchid guest house with the Mekong River on your left. It's between a coffee shop and an internet cafe. It's called the Youth something...

Also, if you live in Bangkok it might be worth mentioning that you can get the Laos visa done there before you go and it used to be cheaper than at the border . 600 baht I seem to remember. Not sure if it still is. It also saves a lot of time because I've been before where it can take two hours for the Laos immigration to process your visa on arrival.

Unless .... and this is the caveat .... a bus of kids from Khao San road just arrived. Of course these kids don't know how to fill out the forms and then it can take forever to just process this bus.

First time I was at the friendship bridge I had to wait two hours as well. It was too short. The Laotian customs official was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. I just wanted to stand there and stare at her the whole day.

First time I was at the friendship bridge I had to wait two hours as well. It was too short. The Laotian customs official was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. I just wanted to stand there and stare at her the whole day.

I think it depends on the time of day more. Mornings are busy leaving Thailand, but it always seems to take a long time to get into Laos which is why I would get the Laos visa in BKK beforehand if possible. One time coming back into Thailand we were waiting so long and my wife blagged immigration that the children were sick ( we had all had food poisoning though ) and we had to get to hospital in Nong Khai, jumped the whole queue which pissed everyone else off. Worth a try if you can get away with it.