Shark Fin Promoition - Chinese Ny Celebratin

MisterMan

HI I came across this in the January issue of the Nation.

SHARK FIN PROMOTION AT THE GOLDEN TULIP SOVEREIGN HOTEL BANGKOK

Shame shame on the Nation :annoyed: for even promoting this. And shame Shame on the Golden Tulips Hotel for allowing this. THIS is an international hotel chain.

I have emailed corporate offices in Holland but have no reply. Divers maybe we can make a difference. I did one when Boots had shark cartilage on the shelves. 2 days it was off.

sharkfestival.jpg

Contact info here: Add your own @sign to the eamil.

Golden Tulip Corporate Head

Office

Amersfoort, The Netherlands

Arnhemseweg 2

PO Box 448, 3800 AK

Tel: +31 33 25 44 800

Fax: +31 33 25 44 815

Email: info AT goldentulip.com

Bangkok, Thailand

SSP Tower, floor 12 A.

88, Silom Road

Bangkok 10500

Thailand

Tel: +66 2 634 4944

Fax: +66 2 634 4946

Please share and let's make this viral!

Excellent idea to get moving on this. Golden Tulip recently acquired the Mangosteen Resort on Phuket, and they should become aware of the importance of marine conservation particularly in view of the fact that this new addition to their corporation is located at one of the top dive destinations of the world.

I actually sat next to the CEO of Golden Tulip on a flight one time and had dinner with him at his hotel at my destination (I was booked there and bumped into him again in the lobby). Although it was years and years ago, and he may no longer be a stakeholder in the company, I'm going to try to remember what his name was and see if I can dig up some old business card or something.

Edit: Okay, here's his name: Hans Kennedie

Edited by mfiskong

Looks quite good, I think I might go.

Whats wrong with shark fin soup? As long as they aren't using an endangered species, whats the problem?

Sigh. How, in 2011 can any educated person not know that sharks are endangered when tens of millions are slaughtered annually for this shitty tasting soup??

Whats wrong with shark fin soup? As long as they aren't using an endangered species, whats the problem?

taste like shit and basd on chinese belief .. ZERO proof by science,

also the rest of the fish goes in almost all cases back to the sea (because it also taste the same way, and nobody gonna eat it)

left to die without its fin. quite a number of shark species became endangered because of this.

Selling, promoting and hunting is against federal law in almost all countries in this world (i assume including Thailand)

Edited by nullx8

also the rest of the fish goes in almost all cases back to the sea (because it also taste the same way, and nobody gonna eat it)

left to die without its fin. quite a number of shark species became endangered because of this.

Selling, promoting and hunting is against federal law in almost all countries in this world (i assume including Thailand)

Don't forget that shark fin and shark meat is a major source of mercury. Mercury stays in your body forever. It's not recommend for children or pregnant women. It is recommended to be consumed only in moderation.

Sources:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/mercury_in_fish?open

http://www.sharksavers.org/cn/education/sharks-are-in-trouble/381-sharkfinsoup.html

Even more effective might a letter to some Dutch newspapers be. I'm sure Golden Tulip would be very unhappy with any negative publicity.

If there is no answer to the emails today, let me know, and I'll send a letter (in Dutch) to the Dutch papers. A few years ago we got Tesco to remove Shark fins from the shelves in Phuket, we should be able to do the same here and remove this from the menu.

I do not support shark fin, but please let's inject facts (not emotion) into the debate.

Tastes like shit? Many Chinese would disagree, hence the problem. You mention science but science is irrelevant in this case, because it's mainly a delicacy, not medicinal.

Yes, in many cases after finning, the carcass goes back into the sea, but please do not claim nobody eats shark because in Australia we call it "flake".

Finally, I see the sale, promotion of shark fins everywhere...HK/Taiwan/China/Malaysia/Singapore/Indo/Thailand/ etc etc...are you sure "selling and promoting is against federal law in almost all countries"? Please don't claim illegality when there is none. These may be ethical or moral issues only at the moment.

How, in 2011 can any educated person not know that sharks are endangered??

Some are endangered and some aren't. Many stocks are depleted, but then so is Cod and we still eat that don't we.

It's a shame the shark body is wasted, they should be brought back and sold, even if it's for a low price.

Edited by madjbs

Completely untrue. Why do people continually post misinformation on here without first using their common sense or even taking the time to check the facts.

GOOD NEWS! <deleted> YEAH!

My friend has just received a letter from the MD of the Golden Tulip Group SE Asia

I am pleased to advise you , that after consultation with the hotel the promotion has been stopped and all advertising / communication on shark fin cancelled.

Also for the future this will not reoccur, so thank you also for your efforts and concerns,

Kind regards ,

Bravo to everyone who cared enough to make a small effort for a big difference. And shame on you to those who did care and made no effort. The efforts on people here were very small.and yet there were results. As a result of joint efforts like this we as a whole were able to get Boots to stop selling shark cartilage.

My friend is awaiting a reply to see if they have shark fin on the menu and if so will they consider to take it off?

Congrats again to everyone!

Now onto the Nation for even featuring this!

Edited by MisterMan

I think you find that we all eat something that is or will be on the list of endangered animals at one time or another.

To Mister Man - If you want another campaign, have a look in TOPS supermarket in the Frozen section, maybe you will find "Shark Fin" there as well.

Celebrity bad mouth and cook, Gordon Ramsey has just made a documentary on shark finning. I watched it the other night. He tried a bowl of shark fin soup in Taiwan, one the biggest market for it in this area. He described it as bland and tasteless. He then went looking for evidence of it and found it everywhere. He then invited several of the biggest Chinese restaurants in London's China town to see film of what he had discovered. Quite a few of then after viewing the footage agreed to take shark fin soup off the menu. Quite a result I thought.

The only trouble was that just before it was aired there was Gordon, the new saviour of the shark, plastered all over a Sunday newspaper showing him fishing for shark the year before and catching a bull shark and a hammerhead. He also sent them off to be stuffed as trophies. Not the best image for the new patron of " Save the shark " is it.

Well done on the campaign ;)

Now we just have to stop the Japanese from slaughtering whales in the name of research :angry: I fail to understand how the world cannot unite and stop them. All it would take is for countries to tell the Japanese that as long as they insist on killing whales they are liable for an import levy of 200% on all Japanese products

End of whaling.

Edited by H2oDunc

Now we just have to stop the Japanese from slaughtering whales in the name of research :angry: I fail to understand how the world cannot unite and stop them. All it would take is for countries to tell the Japanese that as long as they insist on killing whales they are liable for an import levy of 200% on all Japanese products

End of whaling.

Sea Shepherds Conservation Society. One of the very few organizations I can get behind and very happily donate money to.

http://www.seashepherd.org/

As much as I admire the ideals of the Sea Shepard organisation the guy in charge is an arrogant, ignorant egotist who is a danger to anybody on the seas especially the brave volunteers who foolishly sail with this idiot. :sorry:

As said the ideals are great but why does the world let these people fight the Japanese alone ? This could all be stopped tomorrow if the rest of the world wanted it to.