The Hunt For The Yorkshire Tea Bag

tonybuak

My supply is coming to an end and i am a long way off returning to the UK as yet so as this wonderfull web site has helpt me so much in the past I thought I ought to give it a stir.

This is a tea bag that for me is like no other , I am at present far away from any capital but Bangkok is the closest, this means i could go to any area of the city on my quest for the holy bag, Please were would be the most likly place for the largest assortment of fallang goodies?

I know it's not quite what you are looking for but Linnet English tea, found in Tesco lotus, makes quite a good brew.

If there is a Top's supermarket in Bangkok, you will find good teabags.Their branch in Pattaya stock PG Tips and their own brand of breakfast teabags. PG Tips are expensive, however their own brand are cheap and I find every bit as good as Tetley's.

Failing that, someone on this website provides a service who will post such things to you.

happy hunting.

• Like 1

A worthy quest indeed. I'll have a look in Central Food Hall and Emporuim Gourmet Market and also Villa and see what they have.

If they can't help .... then I'm heading back to UK next month on a business trip - I could be a Yorkshire Tea mule and smuggle some into Thailand for you. Not sure if they'll still brew up OK after being passed through my digestive system in condoms though?:unsure:

A worthy quest indeed. I'll have a look in Central Food Hall and Emporuim Gourmet Market and also Villa and see what they have.

If they can't help .... then I'm heading back to UK next month on a business trip - I could be a Yorkshire Tea mule and smuggle some into Thailand for you. Not sure if they'll still brew up OK after being passed through my digestive system in condoms though?:unsure:

Just drink 10 cups every day you're there and piss in his pot when you get back.

PG Tips at Tops in MBK and near Phrom Pong. The Villa Market in Paradise on Srinakarindra has a range of Tetley bags including decaffeinated and Tetley Tea Chest which is the cheapest Tetley per bag. Whether they are genuine Tetley is another question. Also whether they will be in stock on a particular day is far from certain.

Never seen Tetley or PG at Emporium/Paragon/Carrefour/Lotus. A couple of posts have said good things about the Tesco own-brand bags.

I haven't seen the Tetley round bags in LOS, but came back with several big 180 bag packs from Hong Kong. In KL they have Tetley rounds in small packs in the supermarket under the Petronas Towers, but couldn't find any in Penang.

Yes, this is a difficult challenge, and requires thinking outside the box.

Where do you think the tea plantations are located in Yorkshire? Barnsley perhaps.

One thing you might consider is actually reading the box. It might say something like a blend of Assam, Kenyan, and Sri Lankan tea, or any combination of these or others.

There are several varieties of English breakfast tea (known as black tea) available in Thailand. Most are much cheaper, and much better IMHO.

Go on --- try a few --- ah, the mysteries of Asia.

Just drink 10 cups every day you're there and piss in his pot when you get back.

:cheesy:

It's not so much the Tea It's the water that makes the difference. You can't beat the Air Valley for a good cup of tea The water there is nice and soft.

yorkshire Tea. Tetlys or PG tips all tast better Dont ask me why but it makes one hell of a differance. Same with the beer.

It's not so much the Tea It's the water that makes the difference. You can't beat the Air Valley for a good cup of tea The water there is nice and soft.

yorkshire Tea. Tetlys or PG tips all tast better Dont ask me why but it makes one hell of a differance. Same with the beer.

Not just that

Been married 7 years and still the misses doesn't get it that the water has to be boiling.

Yes boiling water does help. Tell her it's dangerous to lift the kettle before it switches itself Off .

If she is anything like my wife she wont let you do it yourself because it's not your job. So you have to try to work around that.

• Like 1

Yorkshire tea is lovely stuff but I seem to only crave a cup of tea in the cold climes of England after a big meal. In Thailand it's coffee heaven. Anyway, I'm sure I've seen it in Paragon supermarket AND Emporium foodhall but didn't think much about it due to the crazy price.

As a YTB fan myself whose supply has just ended I sympathise.

I have asked a friend to put 1000 bags in the post to me. The postage is about a fiver but worth it. If you know anyone coming over get them to bring some. Take them out of the box and squash them up in a plastic bag.

In the meantime I am making do with English Breakfast tea or Ceylon. Not the same but needs musr. Anything but Liptons Yellow label (I cannot bring myself to call it tea)

As a YTB fan myself whose supply has just ended I sympathise.

I have asked a friend to put 1000 bags in the post to me. The postage is about a fiver but worth it. If you know anyone coming over get them to bring some. Take them out of the box and squash them up in a plastic bag.

In the meantime I am making do with English Breakfast tea or Ceylon. Not the same but needs musr. Anything but Liptons Yellow label (I cannot bring myself to call it tea)

I'm flying in on Friday morning and have in my possession around 1000 of Yorkshire's finest, they sold them in Abu Dhabi for a while but then stopped, luckily I stocked up well in advance :)

I'm in town for a few weeks before I head off to the UK for a visit, let me know if you are up in BKK and I'll pass a few hundred in your direction!

Edited by SwissTony77

Obviously there are too many lower class people on this thread.

The ONLY tea to drink is Earl Grey with no milk or sugar taken in a thin cup and saucer with cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off and served by the maid.

However as I can't stand cucumber, am on a diet so no sandwiches, haven't had a cup or saucer in years I take mine in a mug but still no milk or sugar.

The maid left also, something about wanting to be paid. <_<

Honestly it is sooo hard to get good staff nowadays. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Deeply sympathise with your plight (Yorkshire, not lack of tea).

Am in the UK now. PM me if you want some sent out to you. Returning to Thailand in mid-January so I could always bring some out then.

why not get a box sent over , couldnt be much weight in a box of tea bags?

Wouldn't want to pay the import tax though!

I suggest the OP does what all self respecting oap's do and try and get 2 cups out of 1 bag!

....and then tape the teabag onto your arm, like a nicotine patch.....laugh.png

• Like 2

There's a business here.

Mail order within Thailand all those things expats miss. Like Yorkshire Tea. Branston Pickle was the one I always missed. Marmite another.

25 years ago i used to drive a van load of Branston pickle, Colmans Mustard & Hp Sauce down to southern spain from England to sell to the British pubs and restaurants every month. Nice living for a while till every Tom, Dick and Supermaket started doing it.

Wonder how long it would take me to drive to Thailand with a load up of pickle and teabags,lol.