Flights To London Are Looking Incredibly Expensive!

MaiDong

I can't believe the cost of flights now, I will be flying with my wife and our son and the airlines with the worst reputations/reviews are still asking for £600+ each, any good ideas where to look for a decent price? Both me and my mum have done quite a lot of searching and we keep coming up with either the dredded aeroflot flights and their scary sounding stop-overs of Jet/Indian airlines with 4+hour stopovers, I'd be ok with the indian flight but wife and son wouldn't, I'd also be ok with aeroflot and the dredded stop-over but again, I don't think wife & son could handle being barked at in Russian for a 3 hour stop-over :huh:

Flights from BKK-LON are no more expnsive now than 6 years ago...maybe a little to take into account airport tax increases.....if you earn Baht your OK bu if your booking on a UK credit card, blame Mervyn King and his cronies for making the exchange rate so bad....mox travel are always good

EgyptAir BKK-LHR on 8th (only) & returning (any of) 20th-23rd at B27,950 fully-inclusive, booked via their own website, looks better than the Indians at B30k+ ? Get their 'Blue' ff-card online for an immediate extra 5kgs of hold-baggage, too.

Air India has also sometimes been close to Aeroflot on price, but is getting very-bad reviews on service & adminstration/ticketing.

EgyptAir BKK-LHR on 8th (only) & returning (any of) 20th-23rd at B27,950 fully-inclusive, booked via their own website, looks better than the Indians at B30k+ ? Get their 'Blue' ff-card online for an immediate extra 5kgs of hold-baggage, too.

Air India has also sometimes been close to Aeroflot on price, but is getting very-bad reviews on service & adminstration/ticketing.

That looks good but it's too early for us, our sons birthday is on the 2nd March so we'd like to be there before that date by a day or two, so flights around my dates are 30k more expensive for all 3 of us...

Aeroflot is good. And due to the recent bombing at Domodedovo, you can be assured that Sheremetyevo will also have the best security for the next 6 months or so.

What's this about Russians barking at your family? Have you flown this route recently?

Final tip, although preferred carriers and being here or there for specific dates is a nice ideal, it really only is practical for the solo flier. Bringing the brood usually means compromise, especially when it comes to costs.

Isn't your mum paying anyway?

Edited by NanLaew

That looks good but it's too early for us, our sons birthday is on the 2nd March so we'd like to be there before that date by a day or two, so flights around my dates are 30k more expensive for all 3 of us...

Understood, but it's getting late, and you were looking for a cheap fare. Which usually means compromising on dates & booking sooner. You might get lucky, with fares for end-Feb/early-March, after the end of January ? Good Luck !

I recently booked a similar journey for 3 pax @ B25,040 each return, going back to LHR mid-June & returning late-July, but had to accept their dates for each way, to save the last few thousand Baht/pax. There were only a few seats, to get them up to the top of the listings on the search-engines, at that low price, and they're now gone !

A cheap flight from BKK to KL and then Air Asia to Stanstead for around 11,000 baht. About the cheapest you are going to get I think. It is the route a friend has taken many times because of the price.Do be aware though you pay for everything during the flight.

Found a flight on the 2nd March with Qatar Airways for B32,400 per adult & B27,400 for 1 child so although it's not the cheapest(by a few thousand Baht) it's with one of the nicest carriers I've flown with during the decade I've been going to-and-fro between here and the yUK. Very pleased. Thanks for all the help everybody!

H2oDunc - I've been keeping an eye on Airasia flights and they're more expensive, on or even near our prefered date is coming up at B16,000 more than the Qatar flight.

Ricardo we couldn't do anything sooner due to visa applications & passport applications but from what I've been reading recently it seems that the best booking period is around 4 weeks before travel, wasn't it a thread here on thaivisa.com?

NanLaew In my experience travelling near Russians all they seem to do is BARK! at eachother or anybody near them, one group passing through Poi Pet last year nearly blew an immigration officer out of his chair! - the 'boss' of the group went through first and stood right behind the immigration officer and shouted at the top of his voice to his group, the whole hall jumped in fear, it was funny for most of us but NOT for the chap at the desk, by the look on his face it seemed he didn't really want to let the rest in! :D

I also read some recent reviews of the various airlines which were offering affordable flights, see here: Aeroflot customer reviews

And yes, my mum is paying so I'd like her son, daughter-in-law, & grandson arriving in a fit and healthy state ;)

Ricardo we couldn't do anything sooner due to visa applications & passport applications but from what I've been reading recently it seems that the best booking period is around 4 weeks before travel, wasn't it a thread here on thaivisa.com?

That thread was more about Thailand to USA, as I recall, but it's always interesting to exchange experiences.

Have a good trip .. Qatar are fine IME, except for the funny curry/sausage-roll 2nd-meal ! B)

It is a simple cost benefit analysis. What is the value you place on; reliable equipment and an ability to be rerouted if the need arises, safety, quallty of service, transit hassles and overall stress? These aspects all have a cost component. If these are less important than the actual cost of the ticket, then take the airlines which are the cheapest, but will most likely have the lowest grades when i comes to the aforementioned qualities. However, be prepared for flight delays, lost luggage and the potential for a difficult flight. PAX should be paid to transit the sh*thole airports that are in Moscow and India.

It is a simple cost benefit analysis. What is the value you place on; reliable equipment and an ability to be rerouted if the need arises, safety, quallty of service, transit hassles and overall stress? These aspects all have a cost component. If these are less important than the actual cost of the ticket, then take the airlines which are the cheapest, but will most likely have the lowest grades when i comes to the aforementioned qualities. However, be prepared for flight delays, lost luggage and the potential for a difficult flight. PAX should be paid to transit the sh*thole airports that are in Moscow and India.

Agree with what you have said but in my case I made a decision to go to the UK cheap in the first instance - well under £300 - so I can start to book 1 year returns with better airlines at a far lower cost. I would rather fly with Emirates / Etihad / Oman Air etc and from the Uk their prices are very good for 1 year returns and at comparable cost to the 'cheaper airlines'. So, booking with Air India or the likes of is sometimes the better option in the first instance. Though maybe not the airline of choice.

Power to the wallet :)

Check out www.Saveflights.com, they sponsor this forum. I used them a couple of months ago and was very happy with their service.

Their current prices;

EVA Air are 17k, direct flight from BKK to London. Return is 31k.

Their Elite Class (Premium Economy) is 26.5k. Return is 50k.

I took the Elite class and will definitely do so in the future. Much more comfortable than Thai Air's economy class and without the hassle of ever having to deal with the worst customer service of anything in the world, ever!

Edited by UKMatt

we are flying in on April 2nd with our return flights booked for Dec11th at a cost of £518 each with Emirates . the problem I have is I will have to come back after 30days (unless i get myself a spouse visa). i will need to be back though within the first week of May any way and can't find a flight from BKK returning in August for under £700, i am still trawling through.I can even get a flight to Schipol Amsterdam as I can get home from there for around £8 on the last evening flight with Jet2 to LBA. Am going to look at Egypt air, I am not bothered who the flights with as will be alone and have my small rucksack. I have just seen Air Asia from KL to London stn for £284 which is good but will have to pay for any food / entertainment and also then have to get back to Yorkshire from London. Looks like this may be the best option as I can book 1 way to KL on 27th August for £248 .

we are flying in on April 2nd with our return flights booked for Dec11th at a cost of £518 each with Emirates . the problem I have is I will have to come back after 30days (unless i get myself a spouse visa). i will need to be back though within the first week of May any way and can't find a flight from BKK returning in August for under £700, i am still trawling through.I can even get a flight to Schipol Amsterdam as I can get home from there for around £8 on the last evening flight with Jet2 to LBA. Am going to look at Egypt air, I am not bothered who the flights with as will be alone and have my small rucksack. I have just seen Air Asia from KL to London stn for £284 which is good but will have to pay for any food / entertainment and also then have to get back to Yorkshire from London. Looks like this may be the best option as I can book 1 way to KL on 27th August for £248 .

Gets expensive with the price of meals, seats, luggage and everything else with Air Asia and Air Asia X. I noticed seperate costs for meals and more on each leg going via KL.

Remember when you book your train journey (if going by train to Yorkshire) to do it 12 weeks in advance if you can for the best fares

If you go via Stansted, it is often better to book a train to Peterborough and a second from there to your destination station. Cheaper too than going into London as they often direct you to do. Remembering that the good old British trains stop after a certain time of an evening !! That is also why I chose Air India this time as they land at LHR at 06-35. MUch better than an evening arrival.

Example - Cost to Darlington from Stansted using 2 singles via Peterborough save £24 on the advanced ticket they offer from Stansted to Darlington and miss out London altogether. No tube travel involved.

Maybe check skyscanner - whole month for August and check indirect flights. Kelkoo were cheaper for me than Kayak (both comparison sites also).

Apologies if I am teaching a chicken how to suck eggs :)

Off to bed now it is 04-30 LOL

Flights from BKK-LON are no more expnsive now than 6 years ago...maybe a little to take into account airport tax increases.....if you earn Baht your OK bu if your booking on a UK credit card, blame Mervyn King and his cronies for making the exchange rate so bad....mox travel are always good

Mervyn King has control over Interest rates in the UK,which could filter down and effect borrowing on credit cards,

But Exchange Rates? and 6 year old flight prices?

A cheap flight from BKK to KL and then Air Asia to Stanstead for around 11,000 baht. About the cheapest you are going to get I think. It is the route a friend has taken many times because of the price.Do be aware though you pay for everything during the flight.

I look at this option everytime but in all honesty it is more expensive and takes a lot longer...plus you are dumped at Stanstead rather than Heathrow...although that may be bneficial for some....IF there is a saving to be made it would amount to no more than a thousand Baht or so.....a lot of hassle I think

Mervyn King has control over Interest rates in the UK,which could filter down and effect borrowing on credit cards,

But Exchange Rates? and 6 year old flight prices?

Mervyn King and the BOE have control over the whole economy, not just interest rates.....and at present the BOE are keeping Sterling artificially low to boost exports......so yes, he and the BOE have made flighs for Expats in Thailand using a UK credit card more expensive...or is that too hard to understand.

I am having trouble trying to book flights from BKK as am I constantly directed to UK sights that will not accept BKK as an origin airport.

I have decided to ring dial a flight on Monday and see what they can come up with.will get quotes for MAN and Amsterdam as have just found a flight from Amsterdam to Leeds/ Bradford for a massive 9 Euros so if Amsterdam is as cheap as MAN then will go this rout.

As I said before i will be flying alone so am prepared to go via any route . Haveing said that if the difference between a good reputable company and one I'm not so sure of is only about £25 then will prob' pay the extra.

Thanks Steve I will try that link and compare it with what Dial a flight quote me on Monday wink.gif

Edited by mickj88

Aeroflot is good. And due to the recent bombing at Domodedovo, you can be assured that Sheremetyevo will also have the best security for the next 6 months or so.

What's this about Russians barking at your family? Have you flown this route recently?

Final tip, although preferred carriers and being here or there for specific dates is a nice ideal, it really only is practical for the solo flier. Bringing the brood usually means compromise, especially when it comes to costs.

Isn't your mum paying anyway?

I flew to London via Sheremetyevo last August. Never again. Aeroflot flight itself from BKK was fine. Food was excellent and service good. The problems arise in Sheremetyevo. The day we arrived it was over 30 degrees c and no aircon in the arrivals terminal. The transit staff were awful and I have never met such rude people. There were long lines of passengers everywhere. You also have to transfer from one terminal to another if you are going to London. Again the longest lines I have ever seen at an airport. Immigration and security checks everywhere.The staff at immigration and security are as bad as the transit staff. So rude and unhelpful. We were lucky to arrive at the gate in time for our flight to London. NEVER AGAIN! I would fly aeroflot again but never via Sheremetyevo. By the way it was just as bad on the return journey