Rising Crime

opothai

reading the topics lately there seems to be a lot about crime, this is not obviously just a thai problem.

i am curious to see an average thought pattern about crime and punishment from your perspective and not the governments rule of law.

we have not got the detterent right and the punishment correct as the rise in crime in most civilised countries is rising at an alarming rate.

how would you propose to correct the sitution if indeed it could be corrected

personaly i think the criminals get more rights than the victims.

i will start by saying dicipline starts when young, there have been to many do gooders telling us how to bring up our children with no dicipline, did the cane or size 9 really have to go. was smacking a child barbaric, personaly i do not think so.

what countries have the best judicial system

Wow, you've picked a nice easy subject to look at!

The subject has many facets: the sociology of child-rearing (including deprived environments, role models, single parents, education etc) probably has a lot to do with how kids turn out. IMHO, in the UK there has been a steady erosion in respect for self and others (including their property), whether parents, teachers, police or whatever, but mainly - each other.

UK governments don't give a monkey's about real solutions, as they want soundbites and actions that are immediate, obvious, cheap, populist and easy. Despite what they say, prison doesn't work. It may be a bit of a deterrent (I have my doubts) and it keeps criminals away from the rest of us for a while, but it doesn't provide any real solutions.

Sorry, pressed the wrong button and everything went Pete Tong.

IMHO, we should stop comparing the rights of criminals with those of victims. Criminals have certain rights, but their crimes mean they forfeit some of their rights. This doesn't mean they should be kept in solitary or flogged, though.

What we need to concentrate on is that victims are largely forgotten. They have rights too: (including the right to NOT be victimised in the first place), to be compensated, to receive whatever help they need, to have their crime investigated properly, to see the perpetrator detected, convicted and appropriately punished.

In the UK, Home Office control over the police and policy has resulted in easy targets for performance indicators, poor police management and pitiful performance as a result. If the coal-face officers were properly led, resourced and freed from political interference, they would do a much better job for all of us.