New Fiesta Sport 1.6

phupaman

Maybe some people still use a toasting fork.

The product Knowledge about Toasters is about as much use as Cars. Does this do Thai Style Toast.?.. You know Hotel Style, Zebra Stripes on one side,and untoasted on the other side.If you want toast here bring a Russell Hobs,or a trusty Toasting Fork. Like all those Clutches are needed for the 300Bhp Sensible Motor are they, new aint always best. The New Camry boasts Push Start as Standard on the 2.4 Hybrid Navigation, along with Hybrid CVT .? Starting Handle Extra i suppose.w00t.gif. At a mere 1.888 Farts.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The product Knowledge about Toasters is about as much use as Cars. Does this do Thai Style Toast.?.. You know Hotel Style, Zebra Stripes on one side,and untoasted on the other side.If you want toast here bring a Russell Hobs,or a trusty Toasting Fork. Like all those Clutches are needed for the 300Bhp Sensible Motor are they, new aint always best. The New Camry boasts Push Start as Standard on the 2.4 Hybrid Navigation, along with Hybrid CVT .? Starting Handle Extra i suppose.w00t.gif. At a mere 1.888 Farts.

When the Push Start button fails you can whip out the toasting fork to 'short out' the starter motor :lol: .

Personally I think push start should belong in race cars and the like, in a daily driver it is just a gimmick, and now it seems just like mobile phones and tablets, car manufactures are competing to see who can add as many gimmicks as possible!

I'm happy with the bluetooth as I think it makes talking on the phone safer while I am crossing over 4 lanes of traffic a bit safer, and I'll take the DSG or DCT gearbox as it makes sense economically. But for the most of it, who really needs that other stuff? Navigation ok, but push start?

As far as I know most sales girls are selected based on looks and maybe personality as apposed to knowledge.

I actually know one personally and sorry Nut if your reading this, but she really has not much knowledge at all about cars.

She knows how to drive one I think, and she may know where the petrol goes, or is that where you put the oil, hang on I better check with the mechanic first.

Speaking of toasters, how many slices does it take before my staff can produce a decent tone of brown? Loafs of bread are getting harder to buy right now! (and no I don't have a maid, I run a resort)

Nice.?.Not if they are jerky, id be a bit bothered if id bought one,when there are non jerky available from Mazda Honda etc. You would think Ford could make it right first time.Some folks cant just dump it and get another, they have planned and looked forward to Skippy the Bush Kangaroo.Aint Funny at all.annoyed.gif

Wadrinstar. Well, I'm one month in after purchase of my 'new' Fiesta and happy as larry. When they say jerky, it was not "kangaroo hoping down the road" like a 15 year old Learner driver might do in a manual. More like a low speed grabbing of gears. Very minimal movement or noise.

Like the vid says, it is purely the clutches bedding in, like many things on a new car, cams, springs, chains what ever, they all have a bedding in period, some just take more than others.

IMO what Ford did was quite innovative and not dissimilar to other European automotive companies- by putting a dual clutch into their small cars as well.

The Honda and Mazda both use your usual automatic gearboxes.

Old tech, yes it works, but so does my toaster.

Clear answer Mr Beetle, perhaps you could explain to the But Holes at Ford to instruct their Dumb Tart Sales Girls, to inform the Customers, and save them worried days.Product Knowledge here sucks.cool.gif

This happens a lot with tier 2 and 3 dealers, lack of information. I guess gradually as the market expands, they train their staff more proficiently.

I guess it depends on the dealer, I had a choice of 3 dealers when I t came to actual purchase, Hua Hin, Lumlukka Rd and Sukhumvit (60?), I found all 3 we were talking to a guy and in 2 they took us for a walk through the workshop. In the Lumlukka Rd one, sales guy was quite knowledgable and actually pointed out a few things that I hadn't found in my research.

We had also looked at a Mazda 3 in Hua Hin, and yep- sales girl there was HOPELESS, had no idea about anything on the car, didnt have access to a key for a start up, couldn't even tell me when a test model (hatch back would be in), my wife got so pissed off with her attitude she walked out and left me standing there. Quite a funny afternoon that one.

Personally I think push start should belong in race cars and the like, in a daily driver it is just a gimmick

With a proper keyless entry and driver memory system implemented, it makes perfect sense - your keys stay in your pocket, upon proximity to car it unlocks, open the door and the driver's chair and side mirrors remember your last settings, jump in (key still in pocket) and hit the start button. It beats the crap out of fiddling with remote controls, adjusting chairs and mirrors after the wife has been in the car, and then fumbing to find the ignition that's nearly always hidden behind the steering wheel..

When the Push Start button fails you can whip out the toasting fork to 'short out' the starter motor :lol: .

when you have used a keyless and push start car for a year, you will always miss it..

Only occasion I took remote out of pocket, or wife took her out of hand bag, was when locking car

approach car and it unlocks automaticly, be seated and push start. Never think about where the key/remote is

not to mention his and her remote, she approaching drivers door, seats and mirrors adjust to her settings,

next step, remote changes music and AC temp according to drivers preference list :whistling:

by the way, my toaster died a few days ago. using the electric BBQ :P

when you have used a keyless and push start car for a year, you will always miss it..

Only occasion I took remote out of pocket, or wife took her out of hand bag, was when locking car

approach car and it unlocks automaticly, be seated and push start. Never think about where the key/remote is

not to mention his and her remote, she approaching drivers door, seats and mirrors adjust to her settings,

next step, remote changes music and AC temp according to drivers preference list :whistling:

snap :D

Personally I think push start should belong in race cars and the like, in a daily driver it is just a gimmick

With a proper keyless entry and driver memory system implemented, it makes perfect sense - your keys stay in your pocket, upon proximity to car it unlocks, open the door and the driver's chair and side mirrors remember your last settings, jump in (key still in pocket) and hit the start button. It beats the crap out of fiddling with remote controls, adjusting chairs and mirrors after the wife has been in the car, and then fumbing to find the ignition that's nearly always hidden behind the steering wheel..

That is a valid point MRO.

Having one (height challenged driver) sharing my car as well, but only takes 20 seconds to adjust, I just need to train her to put the seat back before she gets out. ;)

They do have this as an option on the Fiesta Sport. hmmmmmm.

On a Benz or a BMW I guess, not likely to see this on a Vios for a while lol.

But guess it will happen not far along the track.

timing is everything :D

My 1993 Range Rover we at least had his and her remote adjusting seat and mirrors B)

keyless and powerseats in place, the memory costs nothing

My 1993 Range Rover we at least had his and her remote adjusting seat and mirrors B)

keyless and powerseats in place, the memory costs nothing

My step mums E220 Merc has keyless entry, you keep the key fob in your pocket and just press a button on the gearshift, I'm sure it probably has the seat memory feature as well.

Our 2004 Volvo VC70 has memory settings for the drivers seat and mirrors, but not connected with the remote, I guess it was a natural step to add that though.

I didn't realize that you could program two separate remotes to store 2 different settings! Now that is good.

Would solve a lot of discrepancies with the misses :P

Will have to live with the 20 second adjustment for now ;)

• 2 months later...

Just booked a 1.6S 5dr but as we were walking out we came across an 'All New Ranger'; the 2.2 XLT Open Cab Hi-Rider in Black which looked really good. The reason I went for the Fiesta was mainly running costs (aside from looks, practicality, features and safety), but with the model mentioned above being exactly the same price but with a lot more metal for the money (albeit without the bells and whistle of the top Fiesta), and good interior and exterior looks to boot, I have been doubting my choice.

I know this isn't the best place to post this question, but I will anyway. Will the running costs on a new Ranger be substantially more that the 1.6S Fiesta? Obviously the fuel consumption would boost costs a little, but I hear the comsumption on the Ranger to be quite good (comparitively). In reality I would only be using the car/truck on weekends and for the occasional long journey up north, so I guess FC would not be a huge issue...

The fuel and operating costs of the 2.2 Ranger should be less then the Fiesta..IMO

agreed, except annual road tax being higher on 4 door pickup, fuel and maintance will be less on ranger. and lifetime double

if you r happy with all that steel, get a ranger

if you want a small nippy car, get the fiesta

Just booked a 1.6S 5dr but as we were walking out we came across an 'All New Ranger'; the 2.2 XLT Open Cab Hi-Rider in Black which looked really good. The reason I went for the Fiesta was mainly running costs (aside from looks, practicality, features and safety), but with the model mentioned above being exactly the same price but with a lot more metal for the money (albeit without the bells and whistle of the top Fiesta), and good interior and exterior looks to boot, I have been doubting my choice.

I know this isn't the best place to post this question, but I will anyway. Will the running costs on a new Ranger be substantially more that the 1.6S Fiesta? Obviously the fuel consumption would boost costs a little, but I hear the comsumption on the Ranger to be quite good (comparitively). In reality I would only be using the car/truck on weekends and for the occasional long journey up north, so I guess FC would not be a huge issue...

Will you have passengers in the rear? Put the seat right back in both vehicles and see the difference. I'm 189 cm and can sit in both the front and back comfortably in the ranger (even with the seat mostly back). In the fiesta i could not get my feet behind the front seat with it all the way back,

It seems to me you will be getting more vehicle for your money with a ranger - I'm thinking of trading my sedan in for a 3.2 this year- better for the bad flooded roads here and loads of power on tap.

The fuel and operating costs of the 2.2 Ranger should be less then the Fiesta..IMO

agreed, except annual road tax being higher on 4 door pickup, fuel and maintance will be less on ranger. and lifetime double

if you r happy with all that steel, get a ranger

if you want a small nippy car, get the fiesta

The tax on 2.2 Ranger 4dr is 4800 BHT/year..the 3L will be 6890 BHT/year..don't know how much for Fiesta.

Just booked a 1.6S 5dr but as we were walking out we came across an 'All New Ranger'; the 2.2 XLT Open Cab Hi-Rider in Black which looked really good.

Be aware when selecting a black car, they are the most difficult to keep clean,especially in dusty conditions.

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't yet confirmed the colour, and with what you guys are saying I am leaning towards switching to the Ranger now. Comparitively speaking the Fiesta has more 'things' for the money, what with the ipod/usb thing, voice controlled stereo (that I will never use), dual clutch gearbox, etc. But the Ranger could possibly be more practical.

I will rarely have people in the back of the car and it will mostly be used for long trips up north 3 or 4 times a year. I have no reason to need the carrying capacity of the Ranger, but it would be handy to get rid of these sandbags that nobody wants anymore...

I would prefer a manual 'box, as I would like a little more control and therefore 'fun', but the dual clutch system in the Fiesta seems to be a decent compromise. The Ranger, while being a good looking car with a great interior, will most likely be less enjoyable to drive, being a heavy diesel.

The other issue is safety. As I understand it, the Fiesta S has the curtain airbags (? not sure now), passenger airbags, headrest accident thing (when it moves forward to reduce whiplash), seatbelts all round, ABS, stability control, traction control and (importantly) an alarm/immobiliser.

The Ranger (2.2 XLT Hi-Rider Open) has ABS (+ stability?), seatbelts in the front only (obviously), airbags for driver and passenger, and central locking.

The two models I am comparing (possibly unfairly) are the 5Dr Fiesta S (not plus), and the Ranger Open Cab 2.2L Hi-rider XLT; as both are the same price.

I have to say that i do like the new Fiesta, wouldn't mind getting one myself.

TehBen,

the two cars that your comparing have only one thing in common, the price.

The Ranger is a rural workhorse, the Fiesta is a nippy city car with the capability for long

distance journeys too.

I would base your decision on what type of driving you are likely to do the most, rural or city?

Well, to be frank, neither and both!

I have a CBR for travelling around the local area, so it won't be used for commuting.

It will be used for probably weekly or bi-weekly shopping/cinema trips/dining outisde of the local area, and the 400km trip back home (Issan) 3 times per year.

So really I do not need a big pickup, but if the Ranger is cheaper to run, as well as being a little more capable if things next year turn out like they did this year with the floods and has the ability to navigate the dodgy roads if it came to it, then that would have to be the one to go for.

The Fiesta might be more fun and certainly a little more luxurious, but it is still a small car.

I've spoken to the saleswoman and we are free to change our order if we so desire so thats ok...

I have a CBR for travelling around the local area, so it won't be used for commuting.

It will be used for probably weekly or bi-weekly shopping/cinema trips/dining outisde of the local area, and the 400km trip back home (Issan) 3 times per year.

So really I do not need a big pickup, but if the Ranger is cheaper to run, as well as being a little more capable if things next year turn out like they did this year with the floods and has the ability to navigate the dodgy roads if it came to it, then that would have to be the one to go for.

The Fiesta might be more fun and certainly a little more luxurious, but it is still a small car.

I've spoken to the saleswoman and we are free to change our order if we so desire so thats ok...

IMHO , fuel cost would certainly be higher on the Ranger . Anyone saying that it is more economical on that part has to come with serious evidence . The Ranger is a lot heavier , bigger engine and more power , no way near the same economic . I expect the Ranger to use somewhere around 8 to 10l / 100 km in standard use while i expect the fiesta somewhere between 6 and 8 l/100km . A clear win for the Fiesta .

Service cost , check some parts at the dealer , but i think the Ranger is cheaper because build in Thailand ( and the Fiesta ? ) . This is a Ranger win ( i think ) .

Trade in value . Ranger will more hold it's value and will have a longer lifecycle due to sturdy construction . Pickups of 20 years and more are still standard use and will still have a life ... standard cars in general are not worth a lot anymore . This is a clear win for the Ranger.

Space and easy of use are very personal things , so no winners here ( like stated , city dweller or workhorse is up to your use ) .

Both cars have their advantages and disadvantages . On paper it is a hard choice , in real ... it is all depending on how , what , where etc ... making it easy or not .

As for the wading capabilities , the Ranger is a clear winner but would you risk going in water of 0.5m ?? Also , this year was not normal for the floods , in some parts of Thailand , so this have to be neglected as chances are you will never see the same problems again .

Thanks for the replies.

As for the wading capabilities , the Ranger is a clear winner but would you risk going in water of 0.5m ?? Also , this year was not normal for the floods , in some parts of Thailand , so this have to be neglected as chances are you will never see the same problems again .

Yeah, I didn't specifically mean driving through deep water, I just meant with the heavy rains causing increased damage to roads, the possibility of driving through muddy backroads around Issan and the occasional and inevitable pothole...

Test drive in the 4dr Ranger 2WD (only model available) planned for this week.

Will you have passengers in the rear? Put the seat right back in both vehicles and see the difference. I'm 189 cm and can sit in both the front and back comfortably in the ranger (even with the seat mostly back). In the fiesta i could not get my feet behind the front seat with it all the way back,

It seems to me you will be getting more vehicle for your money with a ranger - I'm thinking of trading my sedan in for a 3.2 this year- better for the bad flooded roads here and loads of power on tap.

I assume you mean the 4dr? I have been looking at the open cab version. I expect the leg room to be very similar, and in fact I doubt that the rear bench will be used that much actually. Edited by TehBen

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I didn't specifically mean driving through deep water, I just meant with the heavy rains causing increased damage to roads, the possibility of driving through muddy backroads around Issan and the occasional and inevitable pothole...

Test drive in the 4dr Ranger 2WD (only model available) planned for this week.

I assume you mean the 4dr? I have been looking at the open cab version. I expect the leg room to be very similar, and in fact I doubt that the rear bench will be used that much actually.

Yes I was referring to the 4door which I sat in at the motor show. In terms of flooding, no we probably wont see the massive floods of last year again (hopefully) for quite some time. However it doesn't need to flood much to damage your fiesta (30 - 40 cm deep water will ruin your carpet), and possibly get into electrical components. My honda civic got a flooded carpet from these conditions (water was to the top of the front bumper). This was in Nonthaburi March 2011, caused by intense rainfall. I would assume the ranger could handle just about any rainfall induced flooding conditions. Another win for the ranger is it's sheer weight, and lots of airbags in the 3.2. It should be relatively safe in an accident, especially those involving smaller cars.

Weight is always a disadvantage . Weight makes a car need more power to get it moving and needing a lot more stopping power in case of emergency . Everything improves when cutting down on weight . Also in case of safety having much weight is a disadvantage . In it's advantage is the size . Since it is big , it means more crumble zones ( possible and it is in this case ( NCAP 5 star if i remember correct )) and small vs big , many times the big looks safer but many times it is not . Like stated in this case , the Ranger is 1 of the 1st in this class having such high NCAP ranking .

IMHO , fuel cost would certainly be higher on the Ranger . Anyone saying that it is more economical on that part has to come with serious evidence . The Ranger is a lot heavier , bigger engine and more power , no way near the same economic . I expect the Ranger to use somewhere around 8 to 10l / 100 km in standard use while i expect the fiesta somewhere between 6 and 8 l/100km . A clear win for the Fiesta .

Service cost , check some parts at the dealer , but i think the Ranger is cheaper because build in Thailand ( and the Fiesta ? ) . This is a Ranger win ( i think ) .

Trade in value . Ranger will more hold it's value and will have a longer lifecycle due to sturdy construction . Pickups of 20 years and more are still standard use and will still have a life ... standard cars in general are not worth a lot anymore . This is a clear win for the Ranger.

Space and easy of use are very personal things , so no winners here ( like stated , city dweller or workhorse is up to your use ) .

Both cars have their advantages and disadvantages . On paper it is a hard choice , in real ... it is all depending on how , what , where etc ... making it easy or not .

as for fuel, diesel power is unbeatable

my closest comparison would be my Vigo 3,0d4d auto 4x4 4 door, managing 9-10km/liter

and my mazda2 managing exactly same during its initial 1000km

then deduct 10% for diesel prices, and fuel is 10% less for Vigos dated 3,0d4d diesel. Rangers modern 2,2 would perform better here

I know diesel power is unbeatable . i drive diesel for over 10 years now .

However , when driving the same on both vehicles , the smaller car and engine in modern configuration will use less fuel . When you say you use 8 to 10 l with the Mazda 2 , i can agree when driving fast or a lot of city traffic . When doing this on the pickup like Ranger or Vigo , with it's heavier mass , and bigger engine ( allthough diesel ) i would be very surprised to go below 10l and more probable 10 to 12 .

you have to compare horses with horses , city traffic in a small car can even use more fuel then the truck on main road .

Last time i've driven a petrol ,

main road around 6 l /100 km , and i cannot see the big pickup beating that . A same class small diesel will take of about 1l to about 5 l /100km .

I know diesel power is unbeatable . i drive diesel for over 10 years now .

However , when driving the same on both vehicles , the smaller car and engine in modern configuration will use less fuel . When you say you use 8 to 10 l with the Mazda 2 , i can agree when driving fast or a lot of city traffic . When doing this on the pickup like Ranger or Vigo , with it's heavier mass , and bigger engine ( allthough diesel ) i would be very surprised to go below 10l and more probable 10 to 12 .

you have to compare horses with horses , city traffic in a small car can even use more fuel then the truck on main road .

Last time i've driven a petrol ,

main road around 6 l /100 km , and i cannot see the big pickup beating that . A same class small diesel will take of about 1l to about 5 l /100km .

so we disagree

my measure for Vigo is for 3 different cars same spec, total of 150.000km, highwayspedd 160kmh,

my measures for mazda2 is 1000km only, but my 2006 Yaris was same fuel over 40k km, but yaris really struggled to keep 160kmh for more than 10 minutes

these 2 types of car use same amount of fuel on my driving. I still prefere the smaller car around Phuket, nippy, funny and easy to park

I got about 13km/l in a rental Yaris auto (dreadful car) driving Bangkok - Koh Chang - Phitsanoluk - Chiang Mai highways and a little around Ko Chang.

With my (old model) Ranger 2.5, I averaged 14km/l over the first 1500km, including 1100km of highway, 400km of mountain driving dropping gears (up and down Doi Suthep to the very top of the mountain twice, to the top of Doi Inthanon with a very steep last 10km and the Samoeng loop.

I don't like to put my foot to the floor, and rarely go faster than 110km/h. City driving is what scooters were invented for. Who would drive a car just to get stuck in traffic? I guess the Ranger wouldn't fair quite as well in the city though.