New Fiesta Sport 1.6

phupaman

Hi guys and gals,

well I am 8000km into my Fiesta 1.6S and thought I could spend a little bit of my time giving a pros/cons list as it might help out those who are still considering one:

I live just outside of town and do mainly city driving.

Pros

It has a great sound system - good quality speakers

The bluetooth is a real bonus. I play my iPhone constantly via the bluetooth and use it for hands free calls all the time.

On the highways, it is stable and comfortable at around 120 km/h. I drove very cautiously to Chiang Mai (about 90kms) at about 90 km/h and averaged 5.5 litres per 100 kilometres, almost 60 mpg.

The leather seats are comfy

The boot is pretty big

It is nimble around town with a good turning circle

Looks nice

Cons

The dual clutch drives me to the brink of committing some heinous crime!

the engine sounds a bit too loud and not in a good way when revving hard in lower gears

first gear is woefully too short

The boot needs a decent slam to shut it, rattling the number plate (future problem there!)

The' seat belt is not fastened' warning bleeps - I've hated them on every car. Here, they sound far too early, go on for too long, and repeat too often!!!

I have driven the car 1700km on a road trip to lampang - cha am - lampang. It was absolutely fine. The economy did drop off as speeds went above110 km/h, but averaged out at 7 litres per 100km over the trip... note that there was city driving in there too, not just highway. Around town, I average less than 30 km/h and if I drive economically, I can average under 8 litres per 100km. Generally, it's about 9 litres / 100 km for city driving.

Overall, the Fiesta has been OK. Unfortunately, the issue with the gear box overrides almost any positive. I had a wee rant on another post earlier, but guess I should recap my gripe here:

As mentioned in the cons, first gear is short. Now, when leaving home, I can 'afford' to pull off slowly as i am the only house on my little lane. If the car changes into 2nd at the 2000RPM marker, I know that the car will then continue to change gears at or just below 2000RPM. This is good for city driving (economy, as well as smoothness).

The problem is this: sometimes I have to accelerate harder in 1st (exacerbated by the short gearing), now the computer does not change gears until 2000+ rpms.

The issue I have is that at about 35-40 kn/h the car is doing 2200RPM in 3rd and doesn't shift into 4th for (what seems like an eternity. If I hold it at those revs, it will eventually drop down, but nothing like as quickly as in the 'first scenario' and nowhere near as quickly as i want it to.

.Coupled with this, the gear change from 2nd to 3rd doesn't isn't quick like all gear changes in the 'first scenario', but it actually rides the clutch a little, revving higher with no acceleration, then going into 3rd but I can feel it is still somewhere in between gears...then it will then go into 3rd properly.

Town driving whilst revving high (now I say high, and it might not sound much, but in a 1.6, revving 2200-2300rpm is lot and as i said, the engine isn't exactly smooth) leads to excessive engine breaking meaning an overly jerky ride. The computer also shows me that fuel consumption is a lot higher whilst it stays in 3rd (kind of obvious I know).

Now, these dual gear changing scenarios that seemed to be based on how fast I accelerate in 1st is a relatively new thing, about the last 1000kms, so maybe it is the new dual clutch finally bedding in and the horrible 2nd scenario will fade and the normal, snappy gear changes without revving over 2000rpm will become a thing of internet forum rant history.

I took it into Ford a few weeks after getting it. They booted up the computer and told me the gearbox was normal... however, as you can read and hopefully understand, things do not seem normal. My Thai is limited and so I will go back in and take the nice mechanic out for a test drive to demonstrate what I mean.

In the meantime, if any other Fiesta Powershift owners could let me know their thoughts, i'd be delighted. Anyone interested in purchasing a 2nd hand Fiesta should PM me!!!

Cheers and I hope that my review proves to be helpful and can spark off some other owners' opinions.

regards

Jim

Edited by Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jim,

I had the same problems with the gearbox you describe and it is very annoying. At the 3000km service we mentioned this, something was done and the improvement was obvious as soon as we drove out of the dealership. I've read elsewhere this was a particular issue with the first production models in Thailand. We also had to have a complete new transmission installed recently and this one also changes up quietly as it should.

Isn't the first service due at x KMs OR 9? months? My Fiesta is at it's second home once again (the Ford dealer) so I can't check the manual but I believe our service was done on time owned as it's a shopping cart not a daily driver so low kms. My wife who looks after the servicing said something about the dealer not being able to do anything about the gearbox problem until the car was at least six months old. The replacement transmission however worked fine from day one, none of that characteristic jerky ride I'm also familiar with.

Think 5.5Lt/100Km may only be 42mpg btw...

I'm a bit confused regarding servicing intervals.

Does it really matter about time verses kilometres?, only I have had mine over a year now but have only done 1,700 kliks, which is nowhere near the kliks required for her first service.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Thanks

First one on my Ford (not a Ranger) is 10,000km or 6 months, whichever comes sooner. I went down last week, they asked how long and how many km (6 months, 5500km) and they said to come back close to 9 months, if its over 9 months I don't get it and (maybe) invalidate the warranty.

If you look at your vouchers, at the top it says the time and distance, at the bottom it gives the max time and max distance.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know of companies in Thailand that sell aftermarket parts for the Fiesta?

I know that there are probably hundreds, but finding them online in English is difficult, and sometimes the best ones can only be found in magazines or through word of mouth...

• 10 months later...

Another parts post: tires.

B-quik sell 1 tire in 195/50/16; Yoko A Drive. Not great reviews. Any other options?

It's an unusual size. What car are you putting this on? Is this the fiesta? Perhaps you can try a 205 tire. Then there are more options. 205 will go onto a 6 inch rim, but probably better on a 6.5/7 inch rim. For a 205 you can get michelin pilot sport 3, if cost is of no concern. http://www.michelin.co.th/then/Buying-Guides/Tyre-selector/search2.html

I also like yokohama tires - and again there are a lot more options if you can go to 205 tire. You would need to check on the overall diameter for a 205 though. I use yokohama earth-1 tires and they are pretty good.

Or toyo : they have 195/50/16 http://www.toyotires.co.th/en/tire/pattern/toyo-drb or the proxes : http://www.toyotires.co.th/en/tire/pattern/proxes-t1r

good luck tire shopping:)