Which Scanner Is Best?

bino

A friend's GF comes from the NE, and is connected to the Thai Silk industry. They produce an amazing variety of fabrics. Stunning colors and patterns.

We're looking to get the best possible scanner that will capture the best quality images of fabric; the weaving, patterns, colors as close as possible to the original swatch.

Unfortunately, none of the "consumer grade" or multifunction copier printer scanner machines is sufficient. They all show skewed colors somehow... reds become browns, etc.

What kind of scanner do the photo pros use? I'm sure that there is better quality scanners in the market. Which makes and models?

Hi- thanks for the reply. You are right that a good photography setup would probably deliver the best images. However, we are looking for a semi-permanent solution, since the fabric output and patterns do change constantly. Also want it as simple as possible for "factory employees" who are not photographers! If they could slide a bolt of cloth into the scanner and get consistent good images easily would be ideal.

Hi- thanks for the reply. You are right that a good photography setup would probably deliver the best images. However, we are looking for a semi-permanent solution, since the fabric output and patterns do change constantly. Also want it as simple as possible for "factory employees" who are not photographers! If they could slide a bolt of cloth into the scanner and get consistent good images easily would be ideal.

Simple, You can't possibly expect 'factory employees' who are not photographers to do this. I imagine there is a lot invested in this project. If you really want to represent your silks properly you simply have to pay for a competent photographer. I suspect there are lots of really good farang photographers living here who would do it at a reasonable price

Simple, You can't possibly expect 'factory employees' who are not photographers to do this. I imagine there is a lot invested in this project. If you really want to represent your silks properly you simply have to pay for a competent photographer. I suspect there are lots of really good farang photographers living here who would do it at a reasonable price

It would be illegal for an expat to earn money from photography.

Got 50,000 baht to spend....?

Recently upon visiting Office Supplies....

There was a high resolution scanner with a price tag of 50,000+ baht

Perhaps, that will meet your need for now....

but then you probably won't want it to situate in a dusty factory though....

nor do you want to allow anyone unauthorized to operate it either.... ;)

There would be hi resolution scanners available but they would cost a pretty penny. I know a few years ago they used to use drum scanners for professional scanning but i donot know much about them at all to say they would be suitable for your needs. .

It would be illegal for an expat to earn money from photography.

Sorry ,really meant to say 'Thai'rolleyes.gif