Extending A Return Flight Date

Hal65

I understand that I'll need a round trip ticket to enter Thailand. I'm unsure how long I'll be staying and if I like the place I may stay up to a year (my work allows for this).

-------------

Has anyone had experience with extending their return flight date? how much were you charged?

Edited by Delta223

If you want to stay for "up to a year" you will be better off getting a multi entry tourist visa, that will give you 90 days on arrival and you then do a border run to get further 90 days. Without a visa you would only get 30 days on arrival.

With a visa you don't need a return ticket.

I often arrive in Thailand on a one way ticket and passport stamped with 30 day visa... The problem can be when leaving your country of origin, the airline may ask you to sign a waver saying they are not resposible to fly you home if Thailand refuse you entry. I have never been refused entry on a one way ticket into Thailand

Edited by WAYNEandAEI

Last time it was £60 for me with Etihad with a 300 day return ticket

I have looked and each airline is different. Best to phone them or as the agent as some airlines charge £100.

As said, be careful what ticket you are given as some you can change, others not. So ask for one you can change the date on and then also double check the fare rules on the ticket with that airline.

The other thing you have to be careful about, is that airlines are very good at selling you a changeable ticket, but not so good at actually allowing you to change it. I flew Cathay Pacific with a changeable ticket. I wanted to change my return flight, so I checked with Cathay Pacific. Every date I gave them = no seats available, no seats available, etc etc. When I got on the Internet, I discovered there were many seats available on those flights, just not for me. Along with banks, airlines are the trickiest organizations out there. So they will only have a few seats available on a flight for a changeable (i.e. someone who has already given them money)ticket vs. a new passenger. So you need to be really really flexible on your return dates.

You don't need a round trip to enter Thailand.

If you have a visa of any kind from a Thai consulate, no return ticket is required.

If you don't have a visa and qualify for a visa exempt entry or visa on arrival you do need a ticket out of the country. But that can be a he cheapest possible ticket BKK-Kuala Lumpur or what ever with a price fighter.