Mosquito's

ThaiAdventure

Electronic bats as last resort work well. They are also useful at dusk when many will fly to screens and you can get a bunch. Keep a black light/kill screen going in main room of home at night. Works even better if in the flow of a fan. Have also found the air bag (fan under black light as sold at Lotus) to work. Use air con in bedrooms (this will make only the door to bedroom an access path) and if you keep door shut and keep the population in the main room down should only have to hunt down an intruder every week or so. :o

Electronic bats as last resort work well. They are also useful at dusk when many will fly to screens and you can get a bunch. Keep a black light/kill screen going in main room of home at night. Works even better if in the flow of a fan. Have also found the air bag (fan under black light as sold at Lotus) to work. Use air con in bedrooms (this will make only the door to bedroom an access path) and if you keep door shut and keep the population in the main room down should only have to hunt down an intruder every week or so. :D

I'm off to find me a black light. Sounds easy and cost effective.

I already have screens on all windows and doors so I think the mos's are already somewhere in the house or theres a hole that I'm not aware of. I'll check the defenses.

The aircon does work but as it is cold season the missus complains that it is too cold....while she sleeps warmly, I'm getting bitten to death. A couple more nights and I really won't care if she gets hyperthermia :o

I got one of those bug killers. (The one with a UV light that electricutes the bugger he, he.)

Full of expectation, I placed it in the kitchen where I could see two or three and waited expectantly. They very deftly avoided it and came straight for me :o .

I then turned the light of and left it there for about an hour, went back in and they were snoozing on the wall. The bug killer didn't even get one of them! At least I won't have to clean it!

The light has to be on. The charge bleeds off quickly from the grid with it powered down. The light should attract them, especially if other lights are off. But as I mentioned it is good to have a wind flow across it (like a swinging fan) which get the cautions guys when they get too close to the grid.

For those you can see use a bat type grid. The fixed unit will not get them all but will remove quite a few if you run it every night. Don't give up the war! :o

Thai mosquito traps have been used successfully for hundreds of years. It is a big clay pot (or several) filled with water, lotus flowers and fish. Or if you have space, dig a pond and fill it with fish. A light over the water at night lures the mosquitos and any other insects down to the surface.

Guest IT Manager

I like ka1234 idea best. We also use tiny signs written using buzz words to discoursge them. For example:

"biting humans here makes yuor proboscis small".

The light has to be on. The charge bleeds off quickly from the grid with it powered down. The light should attract them, especially if other lights are off. But as I mentioned it is good to have a wind flow across it (like a swinging fan) which get the cautions guys when they get too close to the grid.

For those you can see use a bat type grid. The fixed unit will not get them all but will remove quite a few if you run it every night. Don't give up the war! :D

I meant turned the main light off so that the UV was the only one on. English is such a fickle language! B)

I was pleased after coming back from the bar today. 22 of the buggers electrocuted (yes I was sad enough to count them)....still a couple hanging around though but I reckon they're newbies.

I'm getting a bit too into this.:o

I read about CO2 traps and was thinking about putting a little dry ice (if I can find any) to enhance the effectiveness. In my next post I'll probably discuss lazer tracking systems for mosquito's (sad, sad man!)

Thai mosquito traps have been used successfully for hundreds of years. It is a big clay pot (or several) filled with water, lotus flowers and fish. Or if you have space, dig a pond and fill it with fish. A light over the water at night lures the mosquitos and any other insects down to the surface.

Yep. Researched that too. "Gambusia affinis" or mosquito fish. I think to dig a hole in the front room or kitchen is a bit drastic but I bought a nice pot today, as suggested, in preparation of my fishy friends.

gambusia.jpg

Looks a bit like a babel fish chai mai?

I'm hoping that some kind sole at one of the restaurants with them outside will let me have a few!

We dug a 1 rai lake at our place in Kanchanaburi. There were a lot of mosquitos before, now there are none. (But we have about 10000 fish in the pond and a flourescent tube on a bamboo stick hanging over the water).

IMG_2442.jpg

Nope, the house is (slowly) under construction 50 meters to the right. Maybe it will be finished in 5-10 years or so.

The hut is just there so we have some shade and a place to barbecue when we go there.

Yep. Researched that too. "Gambusia affinis" or mosquito fish. I think to dig a hole in the front room or kitchen is a bit drastic but I bought a nice pot today, as suggested, in preparation of my fishy friends.

Don't forget to keep it in the shadow. A bit of sunshine and the temperature fluctuations get too big and they all die.

Re Gambusia affinis.I've yet to see any research on the effectiveness of this species as a means of biological control of mozzies.They were certainly ineffective as biological control agents in Australia,and now they are a pest.

The carbon dioxide ,or dry ice, trap is the one favoured by entomologists studying the ecology of mozzies.

As those of us who have spent many years living in areas where mozzies abound,you learn to remove all containers that are likely to fill with water and provide breeding sites.If for any reason you can't remove the containers,and you are not concerned about the environment, pour kerosene on top of the water.

It is well known that people differ in their attractiveness to mozzies.I'm fortunate in that the female,whether mozzie or human,does not consider this old body as being very attractive.And some people just dislike one of God's creatures.My Thai wife,for example, goes bananas even if there isonly one mozzie in the room,and she will not rest until the poor creature is dead.Poor creatures ,they are only vectors for the spread of malaria,dengue fever,ross river fever,brahma forest fever,japanese encephalitis,.....

HOOORAH.

I'm mosquito free (inside the house at least)

I've got a zapper in every room, 4 pots with fish, a swat, strategically placed sticky paper and told the missus that if I see her leave a window/door screen open 1 more time I'll send her back to her family with it wrapped round her neck! :o

Good idea for the summer. It's bit cold right now (otherwise I'd have the aircon on). I think the missus was the major problem (they don't bite her..so mai pben rai). She's decided that she would rather have gold round her neck than a mosquito screen. I bought the zappers for any I let in :o...and the fish just look nice!

Bloody mosquitos get everywhere. I get at least 20 a day and I have screens, mosquito repellent and coils.

Any home remedies (preferably that kill rather than repell)????

can you wait a while ?

Islanders may hold key to malaria vaccine

Scientists say they may have discovered how to develop a vaccine to beat malaria.

Biologists have found a genetic mutation that provides resistance to the disease in people from Papua New Guinea, and it's hoped the findings can be adapted to develop a vaccine.

The team of scientists at the University of Edinburgh found that the Papua New Guineans were protected against severe malaria as they lack a sticky protein called complement receptor one (CR1).

In many blood samples from children with severe malaria, the malaria parasite sticks to the surrounding red blood cells. This phenomenon, known as "rosetting", is much less common in children with milder forms of the illness.

The Edinburgh team, led by Dr Alex Rowe, decided to investigate rosetting more closely with funding from the Wellcome Trust and UK Medical Research Council. His previous work has shown that the parasite was sticking to a protein on the human red blood cell CR1.

Dr Rowe said: "We reasoned that if rosetting was causing the symptoms of severe disease, then you would expect evolution to select CR1-deficient people whose blood cells rosette less, so we've been studying CR1 in individuals from populations most affected by severe malaria."

The latest results were striking, as almost all the people tested were deficient in CR1. Researcher Ian Cockburn, who collected the samples in collaboration with the Papua New Guinea Institute of Medical Research, said: "We were amazed to find that 80% to 90% of Papua New Guineans had very low CR1 levels compared to Europeans. In fact, some samples had no detectable CR1 at all."

The group, which publishes its results in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, went on to determine the genetic basis of CR1 deficiency and to show that the genetic mutations that cause CR1 deficiency protect against severe malaria.

Understanding the basis of natural protection against disease can lead to new treatments. Dr Rowe said: "The discovery is a bit like sickle cell anaemia, which is another genetic disorder that protects against severe malaria in Africans.

"The key difference with this finding is that we understand how CR1 protein deficiency protects people from severe malaria, and that means we have identified a pathway against which drugs and vaccines can be developed."

Story filed: 07:10 Tuesday 23rd December 2003

We have no problems with the little buggers here,we keep all standing water dumped and the 7 rai lake by the house is full of fish and if I see even 1 mossie around, I just go over to the health dept. on the hyway and they send a guy over with his machine and he smokes the area and even inside the house if I want.

But if I had any trouble with em I would invest in one of these things as we had one when I lived in the southern united states and they work very well.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/mosquito_exterminators.asp

And I think the word you guys are looking for is SOUL

And I think the word you guys are looking for is SOUL
Solly. Me no spek inglish good.
But if I had any trouble with em I would invest in one of these things as we had one when I lived in the southern united states and they work very well.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/mosquito_exterminators.asp

A bit over kill for my small dwelling. I'm only worried about inside. I wonder if they make a small (read cheaper) one?

• 2 weeks later...

I had them in the house also... :o

Then I found out they were laying eggs in the water reserve in the washroom.... I actually saw them on the ceramic wall next to the reserve, drying out their wings.

Just make sure you don t leave any open water or liquid sources in the house, if so, adding a few drops of bleach to the water seemed to work for me. (you may want to skip that advice on your aquarium or dog s water dish, ha ha) :D