Fecking Hull - Best Way To Stay In Thailand Now?

I sent my passport, a visa application form, 2 photos and a cheque for GBP100 to Birmingham with no documentation at all and got my 1 year multiple entry visa back by return of post (under 48 hours)...

When was that?

November 2010.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I have previously mentioned the ease with which I got my visa from Birmingham. Worth mentioning again, I think. The speed was the most impressive part.

When I was looking at the Hull, Birmingham and London websites to see where to apply to I chose Birmingham simply because I found I could get there from near London more easily and more cheaply than getting to London, just in case a personal visit was needed. In the end it wasnt, so I was more than happy.

What reason did you give for the multi entry non immigrant 'o'?

I can see on their web site a marriage certificate is required.

I wish I knew why people keep spouting on about how wonderful Hull is.

I sent my passport, a visa application form, 2 photos and a cheque for GBP100 to Birmingham with no documentation at all and got my 1 year multiple entry visa back by return of post (under 48 hours).

I dont really see how anything could be simpler than that but all I ever read here is "Hull this" and "Hull that". I mean, I like Lindisfarne as much as anyone my age does but I like ELO also, if anyone here gets the reference.

Really good news about B'ham - might be a life-saver for some. Thanks for the news. Yeah, Lindisfarne, great, ELO interesting, but Wizzard - see my baby jive !!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got any recent experiences getting a 1 year multiple entry non immigrant "O" from Hull / Birmingham? In the past I also used the visiting friends excuse - I do own a condo here now so have the deeds available but no wife ! thankfully.

Has anyone got any recent experiences getting a 1 year multiple entry non immigrant "O" from Hull / Birmingham? In the past I also used the visiting friends excuse - I do own a condo here now so have the deeds available but no wife ! thankfully.

Arrived in UK on Wednesday, sent application to Hull for 12 month "O" on Thursday (with apartment rental agreement and residency letter from immigration), and passport+new visa arrived in the mail yesterday morning. Probably the immigration letter was not needed but sent anyway as I had a copy. Business as usual it seems.

im from the uk iv lived here for 6 years simply renewing my none im o i used to do it in hull long bloody way to go for a visa

then i heard about Perth in aus great iv been goin there the last 3 years but its closed now so need a new port of call

id rather deliver pizzas on a bike in bkk than spend time in the uk lol but looks like we are running out of options

• 1 month later...

I wish I knew why people keep spouting on about how wonderful Hull is.

I sent my passport, a visa application form, 2 photos and a cheque for GBP100 to Birmingham with no documentation at all and got my 1 year multiple entry visa back by return of post (under 48 hours).

I dont really see how anything could be simpler than that but all I ever read here is "Hull this" and "Hull that". I mean, I like Lindisfarne as much as anyone my age does but I like ELO also, if anyone here gets the reference.

May be a couple of stupid questions but here goes....

1. I have an existing rental agreement for another 6 months in BKK. Can I apply for a Non - O visa based on this although I am under 50?

2. If I get a friend to do a sponsoring letter for a Non-B visa and I never do any actual work for the company (i.e. I am never an employee of that company and never do any work for them) are there any potential ramifications for the company or myself? I am looking for work and have 6 months of a rental agreement left that I dont want to lose (the deposits and penalties if I leave are significant). My friend/his company can always say that employment never happened, which would be true, but could anyone be penalised for this?

Thanks.

I just got mine from Hull using over 50 and showing £900 p.m. income.

(one of the few benefits of getting old !)

Hull is STILL the easiest Thai embassy/consulate in the world to secure a year long multi-entry non-O visa HANDS DOWN! Even if you live in neighboring EU countries. They'll post it back to you! (if you pay the postage!)

They just 'tightened' up their qualifications a little; to be more in line with the other embassies/consulates around them.

You can't really blame them for doing that.

Or do you :o ?? ??

Yes they can and do. Thailand one of the easiest countries in the world to stay long time, if you meet the requirements, but people want to stay here forever without meeting requirements. Its just hard to figure out some people.

Hull is STILL the easiest Thai embassy/consulate in the world to secure a year long multi-entry non-O visa HANDS DOWN! Even if you live in neighboring EU countries. They'll post it back to you! (if you pay the postage!)

They just 'tightened' up their qualifications a little; to be more in line with the other embassies/consulates around them.

Yes they can and do. Thailand one of the easiest countries in the world to stay long time, if you meet the requirements, but people want to stay here forever without meeting requirements. Its just hard to figure out some people.

So you meet the requirements, well Whoopie do for you!

Until now and for the last 4 years I met the requirements too.

Now they have changed the rules I am looking for a way to continue my life here.

Is that really so hard for you to figure out?

Maybe I should just fuc_k off back to the UK for another 8 years until I'm 50 right?

Edited by kevkev1888

Now they have changed the rules I am looking for a way to continue my life here.

Maybe I should just fuc_k off back to the UK for another 8 years until I'm 50 right?

99% of countries would tell you to f_uck off forever unless you had some worthwhile skill they valued, had close family there or pots of money or merely wanted to be a genuine tourist.

I can understand the frustration, but imagine what would happen in the UK if anyone could come and live permanently on an annual £100 recyclable visa on the basis of visiting their mates! The country would be awash with third world immigrants.

99% of countries would tell you to f_uck off forever unless you had some worthwhile skill they valued, had close family there or pots of money or merely wanted to be a genuine tourist.

I can understand the frustration, but imagine what would happen in the UK if anyone could come and live permanently on an annual £100 recyclable visa on the basis of visiting their mates! The country would be awash with third world immigrants.

I support my GF her kid and to some extent her family here in Thailand.

I also support the economy with the cash I spend every month.

There is no visa I can qualify for on a financial basis as under 50.

Yes I could get married but I don't wish too.

It's no biggie as I can continue on tourist visas just a bit of a pain in the ass.

Maybe I should forget the visa thing altogether, come in on visa exempt and just pay the maximum overstay when I go back every 2 years or so.

Sure save myself allot of hassles and cash. :whistling:

You do not appear to qualify for any stay in Thailand in that case. Many in that position seem to find education stay as the best alternative unless you can afford a 10 million baht investment.

Maybe I should forget the visa thing altogether, come in on visa exempt and just pay the maximum overstay when I go back every 2 years or so.

I don't think that is a very good idea. If for some reason you are asked to show you passport then the situation is going to be far more dramatic than if you turn up at the airport on an overstay with the fine in cash in your pocket and an airticket. I had a friend who was arrested some 4 or 5 years ago and spent 7 days in the money house before being released because they realized he had done nothing wrong. It was a bar fight and someone got stabbed as I remember. Anyway, he said it was the worst 7 days of his life and has never returned to Thailand again. He sold or gave away all the stuff he had such as TV, sofa etc. Booked a ticket home and was gone in less that 5 days.

I don't think that is a very good idea. If for some reason you are asked to show you passport then the situation is going to be far more dramatic than if you turn up at the airport on an overstay with the fine in cash in your pocket and an airticket. I had a friend who was arrested some 4 or 5 years ago and spent 7 days in the money house before being released because they realized he had done nothing wrong. It was a bar fight and someone got stabbed as I remember. Anyway, he said it was the worst 7 days of his life and has never returned to Thailand again. He sold or gave away all the stuff he had such as TV, sofa etc. Booked a ticket home and was gone in less that 5 days.

Understood, and good advise.

I was only joking.

I am back in the UK next week.

If I cannot get an non immigrant which is looking decidedly doubtful, then I will have to make do with a triple entry tourist.

Just a little disappointing as only a month ago I could have qualified with a lease agreement.

Who knows In the future I may even bite the bullet and get married. :o

It's no biggie as I can continue on tourist visas just a bit of a pain in the ass.

Sure save myself allot of hassles and cash. :whistling:

You seem to have worked out the solution out for yourself.

:whistling:

Do all of you that are complaining about Hull know for that many years Hull had a privaleged position among Thai consulates overseas...mainly because of the service the present retiring Honory Thai Consulate's father provided for the Thai govenment and particularly the then Thai King and his family during and after WWII? Now his son is about to retire, and the status of Hull is simply reverting to what other Thai onsulates in the world experience.

From my experience with them, the staff is still one of the most friendly and, more importantly, the most honest and helpful with straight-forward answers on how to get the best and longest visa for Thailand they can give you in accord with the Thai government rules.

If you had to try to get a long term visa to Thailand for the purpose ofretirment in Thailand through some of the Thai conslates in the U.S. (Chicago comes to mind) you would probably think Hull was very friendly compared to the Thai consulates in the U.S. For example, Chicago requires you to present evidence of an EXUSTING Thai bank account BEFORE they will grant you a non O visa to enter Thailand for purposes of retirement...even if you meet the age 50 requirement. That means two trips to Thailand, one to open the bank account and then a return to the U.S. to APPLY for the non O visa. That's assuming you can open a Thai bank account on a tourist visa in the first place BEFURE you have to return to the U.S. to apply for your Non O visa for the puposes of applying for a retirement extension.

So, although you may have some point about Hull having to change the rules, you need to keep that in perspective compared to other Thai consulates in the world.

:blink:

Chicago requires you to present evidence of an EXUSTING Thai bank account BEFORE they will grant you a non O visa to enter Thailand

Chicago is an official Thai Consulate and has had the authority to issue a non immigrant OA visa for retirement with no funds in Thailand and allowing up to two years stay before it being required. There is no reason for them to issue a non immigrant O visa.

A non immigrant visa is not even required prior to entry to obtain retirement extension of stay from Immigration inside Thailand - you can convert a visa exempt or tourist visa entry for 2,000 baht after you make a bank deposit or obtain Embassy proof of income within Thailand.

Why use Chicago when there are friendlier consulates. As for the OP get married or get an education visa you have solutions to your problem they may not be what you want but they work.

Its like people who complain about not getting a non o for retirement when a Embassy request a bank account in Thailand with the 800,000 baht and they insist I have it in the states isn't that good enough. The Embassy says no here you need it in Thailand, the requester refused to deposit the money but continued to complain after they gave him a double tourist as not good enough. This happened to someone I met last year at the Embassy in Laos. He didn't get much sympathy from those he told the story to

• 3 weeks later...

I think the difference here (UK) is that the immigrants come in and then live comfortably on benefits etc. I'm not even sure if the Thai's have words for 'social security', 'housing benefits', 'jobseekers allowance' etc. Everybody that I'm aware of who enters Thailand on the Non 'O' visa will ending up spending money to support themselves and their Thai friends/dependants (unless of course they've entered to indulge in criminal activities and risk a free stay in the Bangkok Hilton).

Edited by sysardman

It was only a matter of time before Hull was brought more into line with other, more local, consulates.

According to this post http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4179110 a rental agreement should do the trick, at least for now :)

Give them a call or an email to make sure.

Otherwise a Tourist Visa (60 days plus a 30 day extension) is your only choice, free until the end of March. Vientiane are apparently issuing double entries for free at present.

Not So,my friend was charged 1000 Bht yesterday on the secod visit.

It was only a matter of time before Hull was brought more into line with other, more local, consulates.

According to this post http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4179110 a rental agreement should do the trick, at least for now :)

Give them a call or an email to make sure.

Otherwise a Tourist Visa (60 days plus a 30 day extension) is your only choice, free until the end of March. Vientiane are apparently issuing double entries for free at present.

Not So,my friend was charged 1000 Bht yesterday on the secod visit.

That was posted in January and was true at the time - they are not free now.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the E-Mail address to the Royal Thai Consulate in Birmingham? And does anyone have any experience of getting an Non O from there?

I have previously got it from Hull, and I don't meet the new regulations. I'm a 38 yrs old Swedish citizen.