Fecking Hull - Best Way To Stay In Thailand Now?

Any ideas what I should do...

For a start, it would be a good idea if you indicated on what basis you planned to apply for a multiple-entry non-O visa – assuming that this is the type of visa you had in mind – at the Thai consulate at Hull, ie what you planned to write on the line "Purpose of visit"

Yes the multiple non imm o is the one. My purpose of visit would be anything that worked to be honest. I "live" here but my contracts are from the Uk. I guess I wouldn't need to say that...

My gf owns here house and I live in it, she could perhaps write me a rental agreement up

But Hull doesnt accept from outside uk now :-(

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So would a long term apartment rental arranged from outside Thailand be doable for non-immigrant O work for Hull I wonder?

All these windbags whinging about the end of 'friends and family' visa ought to wind their necks in!

Because that now means a lot less single folk choosing Thailand in leui of elsewhere.

Now that non-immigrant O is out of the window it means:

Opening a bank account is a LOT more difficult in Thailand.

Buying a motor car or bike is (correct me if I'm wrong) impossible on a tourist visa

The self-financing under 50s are now being squeezed into 'you must get married'

For me I'll probably have to get a long-term rental document thrown together and sorted for when I get to Thailand next :)

So would a long term apartment rental arranged from outside Thailand be doable for non-immigrant O work for Hull I wonder?

All these windbags whinging about the end of 'friends and family' visa ought to wind their necks in!

Because that now means a lot less single folk choosing Thailand in leui of elsewhere.

Buying a motor car or bike is (correct me if I'm wrong) impossible on a tourist visa

For me I'll probably have to get a long-term rental document thrown together and sorted for when I get to Thailand next :)

I believe they have also stopped that avenue

:angry:

From The Hull Website.

The Non-Immigrant Visa can be granted for the following purposes of visit but only if you provide the required evidence:-

Category “O”

Married to a Thai national

Evidence required if married in Thailand: Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

Evidence required if married in UK: Copies of Original UK Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

or

Visiting family working/living in Thailand

Evidence required: Birth/Marriage Certificate to show relationship plus letter from relative confirming they are in Thailand

together with copy of valid entry visa in their passport or copy of valid work permit..

or

Volunteer work

Evidence required: Suitable letter from Registered Charity.

or

Visiting Thailand as Pensioner

Evidence required: Copy of Bank Statement showing receipt of State and/or Private Pension .

or

Visiting Thailand as retired person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required: Copy of bank statement showing income of minimum £900.00 per month.

Opening a bank account is a LOT more difficult in Thailand. To the contrary, I went into the Bangkok Bank branch office in Chiang Saen about six months ago and opened an account with a tourist visa in my passport. No other documentation required (asked for :whistling:).

Looks like they've also tightened up on Non-B visa's. :(

Bad news for those needing 1 year multi-entry 'B' where their employer doesn't qualify to support 1 year extension!

Category “B”

Conducting business in Thailand as an employee of a non Thai company (ie a business based in the UK)

Evidence required: Supporting letter from the company which you are employed by or which you are representing.

or

Taking up employment in Thailand with a company located in Thailand.

Evidence required: Valid Thai Work Permit and Supporting letter from Thai company offering employment.

Such company must provide evidence that it is registered in Thailand.

Please note that only a single entry visa will be granted in these circumstances

Just heard from a friend who applied for multi-entry Non-B this week in Hull and confirms the above - they called her today and informed no more Multi Non-B for employees of Thai companies. They will only issue for conducting business in Thailand as an employee of a business based in UK.

She was told they can only issue a single entry and that she should apply to Immigration in Thailand to extend - unfortunately this won't be possible for her as the employing company doesn't qualify yet.

Bad news given the difficulties in getting multi Non-B's locally. The Consular offices seem to be under the impression that everyone with a work permit can get a visa extension in Thailand!

Actually non immigrant B visas are available locally and if long term contract/work permit multi entry seems to still be available for the few that are not able to meet extension of stay requirements. Did the applicant turned down by Hull have a contract and work permit - it appears they only had a piece of paper and no real job so can understand that not being accepted.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if posted before, but I just noticed that the Hull website had been updated again in September. One difference I noted is that Non Immigrant ED visas will now only be issued as single entry. A shame, as I was considering an online course next time round but not trusting of the ability to extend to when staying in a different province from the school, so fancied a multiple entry visa. Not an option now then.

Edited by TCA

I think I can just tack onto this thread instead of starting a new one.

So here's my situation: I've been getting Non Imm O visas for the last couple of years so I can spend all year in Thailand and return back to the UK at Xmas to apply for a new one. My current Non Imm O visa runs out at the end of December. I recently found out that I can no longer get this Visa using the "visiting my Thai gf" reason because the rules changed in Jan'11..

We now have a baby together (born this summer) which I believe can be used as a reason to get a Non Imm O visa, however I have no plans to return to the UK for a while, so what are my options to get a renewed Non Imm O visa, assuming this is the Visa I need and can get? Is there another/better Visa I can get?

Somebody suggested sending my passport to someone in the UK who then forwards it to Hull and then send it back to me in Thailand when the Visa is processed. I really do not want to do this for obvious reasons.

Also, (just hypothetically mind), if we were to marry what Visa could I get and how?

Thanks for any help.

hi,

i'm in a very similar situation so here's what i know :

you can easily extend your current visa at an immigration office just before it runs out if your the legal father and can show 400k baht in a thai bank. (to be legal father you must get married or goto court to get a document made).

or like you said is to send your passport to hull and get another year (1 year can actually goto 15 months plus can add an extra 60 days for 1900 baht ),

if you send passport back you will need to leave thailand and send from a different country.

i have just read that KL issue type-O ,1 year visas if your married - maybe they do if your a father ? (legal or not).

i have booked a cheap flight to KL anyway incase i don't get married and i'll either get a visa from there or post passport home, all else fails i can get a cheap flight to u.k.

congrats,

chris

I think I can just tack onto this thread instead of starting a new one.

So here's my situation: I've been getting Non Imm O visas for the last couple of years so I can spend all year in Thailand and return back to the UK at Xmas to apply for a new one. My current Non Imm O visa runs out at the end of December. I recently found out that I can no longer get this Visa using the "visiting my Thai gf" reason because the rules changed in Jan'11..

We now have a baby together (born this summer) which I believe can be used as a reason to get a Non Imm O visa, however I have no plans to return to the UK for a while, so what are my options to get a renewed Non Imm O visa, assuming this is the Visa I need and can get? Is there another/better Visa I can get?

Somebody suggested sending my passport to someone in the UK who then forwards it to Hull and then send it back to me in Thailand when the Visa is processed. I really do not want to do this for obvious reasons.

Also, (just hypothetically mind), if we were to marry what Visa could I get and how?

Thanks for any help.

hi,

i'm in a very similar situation so here's what i know :

you can easily extend your current visa at an immigration office just before it runs out if your the legal father and can show 400k baht in a thai bank. (to be legal father you must get married or goto court to get a document made).

or like you said is to send your passport to hull and get another year (1 year can actually goto 15 months plus can add an extra 60 days for 1900 baht ),

if you send passport back you will need to leave thailand and send from a different country.

i have just read that KL issue type-O ,1 year visas if your married - maybe they do if your a father ? (legal or not).

i have booked a cheap flight to KL anyway incase i don't get married and i'll either get a visa from there or post passport home, all else fails i can get a cheap flight to u.k.

congrats,

chris

Thanks for the reply, please update with whatever you find out from KL.

No we are not married, we might at some point just to make things easier for visas etc.

My name is on my baby's birth certificate and he has my last name but because we are not married and because the baby is so young I don't believe I am legally the child's yet, until we marry or petition a court. I hope I am mistaken about this as it may help somewhere along the line if I am legally the child's father in the eyes of an embassy(?).

As you say, you are not the legal father till according to Thai law. You might legitimize the child according to your own laws, so the child can get your nationality and a passport. But you will not be the father according to Thai law. A Thai embassy will give you a non-O visa based on the birth certificate naming you as the father. In the region you cannot expect to get a multiple non-O, only a single. Extesions of stay for 1 year you will not get, but might be able to get a 60 day extension based on visiting your child. These are not given back to back, so after that you need to leave the country.

hi mario,

thanks for info.

if i get married do i then get the extentions because i'm married or because i'm legal father ?

when i do the 90 day reports do i need to show that i live with my wife or child ?

what happens if we get divorced or seperated ? am i still legal father ?

regards.

You would be expected to use Thai Wife if married and yes you have to live together. If divorce your extension would end immediately. There is no extension for legal father - only if child is living with you, unmarried and less than 20 and you are legal father/guardian would extension be available (with the same 400k as marriage).

As you say, you are not the legal father till according to Thai law. You might legitimize the child according to your own laws, so the child can get your nationality and a passport. But you will not be the father according to Thai law. A Thai embassy will give you a non-O visa based on the birth certificate naming you as the father. In the region you cannot expect to get a multiple non-O, only a single. Extesions of stay for 1 year you will not get, but might be able to get a 60 day extension based on visiting your child. These are not given back to back, so after that you need to leave the country.

Thanks for the info Mario.

So when you say "A Thai embassy will give you a non-O visa" does that mean this is something I can do in Thailand?

How long is this Visa valid or is it the same as the Non-Imm O I used to get from the Thai Consulate in Hull?

When I go back to the UK next year can I apply for a 1yr multi Non Imm O from Hull again?

1. There is no Thai Embassy in Thailand - you must go to another country where there is one. Only extensions of stay or if you qualify for extension of stay would be available inside Thailand.

2. A single entry for 90 days is the normal issue for visiting child in the region.

3. Hull does not issue to visit GF as you may have obtained last time. And they do not even list child as a valid reason for issue at all currently (but that may be an error). You would have to ask them directly.

from what i gather you can only get a 1 year type O from the uk and yes you can keep going back every 15 or extend upto 17 months to get one.

you can't get any visa whilst in thailand because you can't have 2 visas at the same time.

you could goto a neighbouring country and post your passport back to the u.k .

or you goto an embassy in a neighbouring country and just get a single entry upto 3 month visa.

sounds like if you seperate from the mother your not able to stay in thailand long term so getting a court petition maybe the best option ?

what happens if forbid the mother dies , where does that leave myself and child ? sounds like we need that petion done asap ?

1. There is no Thai Embassy in Thailand - you must go to another country where there is one. Only extensions of stay or if you qualify for extension of stay would be available inside Thailand.

2. A single entry for 90 days is the normal issue for visiting child in the region.

3. Hull does not issue to visit GF as you may have obtained last time. And they do not even list child as a valid reason for issue at all currently (but that may be an error). You would have to ask them directly.

Thanks.

2. Which visa class is this? How much does it cost and is possible to just keep getting a new one after the old one expires?

3. Last time I spoke to the Hull consulate was in May when I found out the rules had changed. They said they could only issue Non Imm O visas if I was married or had a child with a Thai national. Of course the rules could have changed since then again but I was going on that information.

it's the same type - O visa just a different reason for qualifying,

multi - entry 1 year cost me approx. 100 pounds.

sent through the post and was back in a few days.

i wouldn't recommend sending original birth certificate , the ppl in hull said a copy is fine .

it's the same type - O visa just a different reason for qualifying,

multi - entry 1 year cost me approx. 100 pounds.

sent through the post and was back in a few days.

i wouldn't recommend sending original birth certificate , the ppl in hull said a copy is fine .

Hi Chris, yeah I got that Non Imm O multi visa from Hull for the last few years, I was asking about the 90 day single visa which I'm assuming lopburi means I could get from Laos or KL(??).

The non immigrant O single entry is the same type of visa but only one entry of 90 days - you can get more and you can extend any stay for 60 days using Child or Wife visit reason.

Below is what Hull says is required as of 22/09/11 for them to issue a non immigrant O visa:

Category “O”

--------------------------

1) Married to a Thai national

Evidence required:

a) If married in Thailand:

Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

B) If married in UK:

Copies of Original UK Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

or

2) Visiting family working/living in Thailand

Evidence required:

a) Birth/Marriage Certificate to show relationship

B) Letter from relative confirming they are in Thailand together with a copy of page

in their passport showing valid entry visa or a copy of their valid work permit..

or

3) Volunteer Work

Evidence required:

a) Sponsor Letter from Registered Charity.

or

4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Bank Statement showing receipt of State and/or Private Pension.

or

5) Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £900 per month.

Abb 22.09.11

A sixty day extension would have required proof of Thai family member (wife-child?). There is no normal extension of a non immigrant 90 day entry as is the case for tourist visas.

Upon reading this comment I had a thought. Would I qualify for an O visa if I had a child (that I was taking care of and supporting) but not a wife?

[edit] OK after reading all the way through to page six, I see that this question has already come up, so I will just stay tuned to that discussion.

Edited by attrayant