Non Imm O From Hull In Uk

At the start of this year the Thai consulate in Hull updated their website with a new form for applying for non immigrant visas. They now state that more evidence is needed than previously.

"To visit family living in Thailand

Copy of Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate showing relationship"

Has anyone got any further information on this? I tried emailing the consulate but received no reply. I live in Thailand and have done for some years. Living in rented accommodation with my father. Would a copy of a lease agreement and copy of my and my fathers birth certificate be sufficient evidence? My only thought is are they going to be able to know if my father is in Thailand and would that be a requirement? He travels out of Thailand alot and maybe they would check when he was not in Thailand and deny my visa?

Any success stories since the change are welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by mikemcleanuk

The change is that only those with Thai wife/child will be able to obtain (as is the case in other Consulates) rather than those visiting friends or non Thai family.

They are currently using a 'residence' provision to allow issue to those who provide proof of living in Thailand (condo/rental/lease type paperwork).

Would a copy of a lease agreement and copy of my and my fathers birth certificate be sufficient evidence? My only thought is are they going to be able to know if my father is in Thailand and would that be a requirement?

Is your father Thai? If so,I would think you're covered. Whether he's in Thailand or not will never come up during the application process (my wife was never in Thailand -- she was with me - when I applied to "visit her.")

If you're half Thai, but without a Thai ID card, I still think you can get a one year extension of stay on your farang passport by virtue of being a Thai national..... (but, without a Thai ID card, I could be wrong......)

If your dad's not Thai, that lease agreement should have your name on it....for Hull to work their magic.

Is your father Thai? ...

When applying for a non-O visa for the purpose of visiting family, the relative being visited in Thailand does not need to be a Thai national. From the website of the Ministry of Foreign affairs:

- other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

Unless the family is Thai or has PR/extension of stay I seriously doubt any Consulate will issue such a visa. Poster stated no way to prove father lived in Thailand and that he travels often so it sounds as if there is no such extension of stay.

Unless the family is Thai or has PR/extension of stay I seriously doubt any Consulate will issue such a visa. Poster stated no way to prove father lived in Thailand and that he travels often so it sounds as if there is no such extension of stay.

WRONG. Having spoken to the Hull consulate they are happy to accept rental agreements to show long term intentions. I live with my partner (same sex for what it matters) and have done for 10 years, Hull accepted a copy of the title deeds for our house as I am listed as the provider of the mortgage to my partner.

RabC

I have clearly stated they will accept living in Thailand as a reason in post 2 - they will not accept the old 'friends' and visiting GF type reasons.

They are currently using a 'residence' provision to allow issue to those who provide proof of living in Thailand (condo/rental/lease type paperwork).

The change is that only those with Thai wife/child will be able to obtain (as is the case in other Consulates) rather than those visiting friends or non Thai family.

Hi, just read this and it seems to have thrown a spanner in the works regarding my forthcoming trip in April!

I'm going to get married and was intending to apply for a single entry non-imm o type visa as I'm going for seven weeks in total. I also thought that this visa would be the best for things like opening a bank account (I know there are various reports on being able to do this on different types of visa/permissions to stay) obtain a driving licence etc.

What do you think my best option is now? After the marriage I will have the documentation they require so next time should be ok but what should I go for this time? Tourist visa?

Cheers,

Biff

Tourist visa should be fine. Once married you could extend 60 days but it does not appear you will even need to do that if only a few weeks.

Thanks, I reckon opening the bank account will be ok, not too sure about the driving licence though, that may have to wait, we'll see :)

One quick additional question, If I get the Tourist visa before they start charging for them again (I believe it's currently the end of March?) will that give me 60 days from the day I enter the Kingdom or 60 days from date of issue?

Cheers,

Biff

RabC is correct!

I have posted on several similar Thai Visa forums about this. If you can supply a long tern rental agreement or property deeds, or even confirmation from a hotel/accommodation provider on headed paper stating your duration of "confirmed" stay - you will be issued/reissued with a non-"o" visa via Hull or Cardiff with no problems whatsover.

Please everyone - "DONT PANIC! Mr Mannering!!"

RabC was wrong when he called my posting wrong. And you are wrong to say he is right. The old extension to visit friend is not available but there is an option currently to reside - which is what I had posted in post 2.

i had 2 friends who mailed their passport to hull from their european home countries to hull in the last 2 weeks

one of them put visiting GF as reason, got the visa but there was a letter that he will need for example copy of lease in the future to get the same visa

another one included copy of lease and got the visa also, no letter included

Thanks for all the replies me and my father are full British citizens with no Thai citizenship, my idea was to have my and my fathers birth certificate and the copy of the rental agreement in my fathers name. Then include a letter explaining that I live with him in Thailand.

From other reports it seems that will be more than enough and I am confident I will get the visa without a problem. If there are still questions about this in a few months when I go to reply I will post my results once I apply.

The "residence" provision is interesting to me, if I understand it correctly. I have a 30 year lease on land with a house thereon, registered at the local City Hall. Your statement here appears to suggest that this is sufficient for me to get a non-immigrant O? But perhaps I misunderstand... I'm not seeing a great deal of clear and unambiguous information on this provision. A few references to residency under the "investor" category on the appropriate ThaiVisa page, and a few references that seem to suggest the need for one's Thai spouse/friend/family member to have residency. Can you clarify please? Or point me to a web page that does so?

Thanks

Not wildly useful for anyone like me who got a £100 multiple-entry non-O visa with a view to buying or renting accommodation on arrival, which I did.

No big deal for me as before my 15 months run out I will either have done the retirement visa extension or gone to live elsewhere, but a pain for anyone in the same situation who isnt here yet.

I put "tourism" or "retirement" as the reason for my visit on my application last November (I can't remember which, and that alone is qualification for the retirement extension I expect!). Would that not still be valid?

i had 2 friends who mailed their passport to hull from their european home countries to hull in the last 2 weeks

one of them put visiting GF as reason, got the visa but there was a letter that he will need for example copy of lease in the future to get the same visa

Thanks for that, I think I'll give them a call and see what they suggest for me.

The "residence" provision is interesting to me, if I understand it correctly. I have a 30 year lease on land with a house thereon, registered at the local City Hall. Your statement here appears to suggest that this is sufficient for me to get a non-immigrant O? But perhaps I misunderstand... I'm not seeing a great deal of clear and unambiguous information on this provision. A few references to residency under the "investor" category on the appropriate ThaiVisa page, and a few references that seem to suggest the need for one's Thai spouse/friend/family member to have residency. Can you clarify please? Or point me to a web page that does so?

Thanks

This is a new Hull interpretation and not generally available it seems; so there are no details.

The only change is not allowing what is not allowed at other Consulates (and I am sure that is the reason for the change) - issue for visiting friends. If you have a Thai wife/child any Consulate will issue a non immigrant O visa and Hull will continue to do so I am sure. Am not sure if they require certificates copy in English as that varies but am sure they would advise.

Thanks for that, I think I'll give them a call and see what they suggest for me.

Just called them and they confirmed that for visiting friends or family, unless you are married or have property in Thailand, they cannot issue a non-O type visa. They said the tourist visa was my only option.