Fecking Hull - Best Way To Stay In Thailand Now?

...I'll email the Hull Thai Consulate to find out how much leeway they give with regards to the "Residing in Thailand: Evidence required: Copy of house deeds". If that were true they wouldn't issue any Visas at all, what with farangs not being able to own a house here...

You don't have to own the place where you stay. A confirmation from the owner that your are renting it will also do, or if you stay in a hotel, a reservation confirmation. Email Hull to ask for confirmation.

I've emailed Hull, I'm not expecting a response until Monday though since most places close on a Sunday back in the UK. I'll let you know what they have to say.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hull were just about the last Consulate to issue a non-o for 'visiting friends', that option has now been removed :(

Hull was the last to do so in an English-speaking country, but are there any Thai Consuls in non-Anglophone countries who will do the same, maybe so far off the beaten track that they haven't had the memo yet? Since any (qualifying) nationality could apply to Hull (so long as they were in the UK or even EU at the time) we need some non-anglophones to phone their consulates and ask for us... :whistling:

Try coming up with another reason for coming to Thailand than "visiting friends." I mean, how pathetic is that...is there any country that issues visas for such a purpose? A tourist visa should suffice for anyone who wants to visit a friend in Thailand.

Next...

Edited by FarangBuddha

...I'll email the Hull Thai Consulate to find out how much leeway they give with regards to the "Residing in Thailand: Evidence required: Copy of house deeds". If that were true they wouldn't issue any Visas at all, what with farangs not being able to own a house here...

You don't have to own the place where you stay. A confirmation from the owner that your are renting it will also do, or if you stay in a hotel, a reservation confirmation. Email Hull to ask for confirmation.

I've emailed Hull, I'm not expecting a response until Monday though since most places close on a Sunday back in the UK. I'll let you know what they have to say.

I would call them instead if I were you. While Hull gets a lot of praise here on TV they are also known for either taking a long time to respond to e-mail enquiries or not replying at all, probably because they (reasonably enough) choose to prioritize the processing of visas. I mailed them in September last year and never received a response.

Sophon

Hi Sophon,

As luck would have it, Hull consulate have already e-mailed me a response - replying to a weekend email on Monday morning is pretty good if you ask me! Possibly they are focussing on their emails a little more now.

The news is good for those who want a multiple O Visa - apparently they will take a rental/lease agreement for a house as proof that I reside in Thailand. So my plan to go back home and get another multiple O is back on track.

Hope this info helps you, although I would obviously recommend that you e-mail Hull yourselves before you spend $1000 on a return flight to the UK :)

Hi Sophon,

As luck would have it, Hull consulate have already e-mailed me a response - replying to a weekend email on Monday morning is pretty good if you ask me! Possibly they are focussing on their emails a little more now.

That's good to know, maybe they are less busy know than they were six months ago.

Sophon

Try coming up with another reason for coming to Thailand than "visiting friends." I mean, how pathetic is that...is there any country that issues visas for such a purpose? A tourist visa should suffice for anyone who wants to visit a friend in Thailand.

Next...

Yeah, how many people need a full year to visit a friend overseas?

They could change it to "visiting girlfriends".

Hull is STILL the easiest Thai embassy/consulate in the world to secure a year long multi-entry non-O visa HANDS DOWN! Even if you live in neighboring EU countries. They’ll post it back to you! (if you pay the postage!)

They just ‘tightened’ up their qualifications a little; to be more in line with the other embassies/consulates around them.

You can’t really blame them for doing that.

Or do you :o ?? ??

The last time i filled in the form from Hull for a Cat 'O', i seem to remember another 'justification' for being granted the visa - something to do woth being a "UK Pensioner" ( over 65 ) - has anyone any solid information on this class of application. All i remember is putting both reasons : 'Visiting Friends' and 'UK Pensioner' so i'm not clear about the weight given to the age-category. Any thoughts ? ( Nothing to do with 'retirement' visa.)

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

You can apply for a non-O visa based on being 50 years or older. That in itself is enough reason for a visa.

OOH, that would be something of a bombshell Mario ? I mean, is that widely known on TV ? I wish it was that simple, but surely, in the space for the answer to the question about one's reason for needing to be in Thailand for a long time, the answer : "I'm 50" is a bit minimal and, well, silly ? I HOPE you are going to contradict me ! :D

The normal reason for issue would be that you are planning on checking into retirment in Thailand - a non immigrant entry is required to extend your stay for retirement inside Thailand. They might only issue a single entry however.

The normal reason for issue would be that you are planning on checking into retirment in Thailand - a non immigrant entry is required to extend your stay for retirement inside Thailand. They might only issue a single entry however.

Just over 3 months ago Hull granted me a multiple entry Non-Immigrant 'O' on the grounds of intent to convert to O-A retirement status once here. Just the one page standard visa application form and a signed declaration regarding having enough funds to support myself were required.

Just over 3 months ago Hull granted me a multiple entry Non-Immigrant 'O' on the grounds of intent to convert to O-A retirement status once here. Just the one page standard visa application form and a signed declaration regarding having enough funds to support myself were required.

You cannot convert to a "O-A" visa inside Thailand. What you can get is a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, if you qualify.

Like I said my previous post:

Hull is STILL the "easiest" (as in THE most lenient Thai consulate/embassy out there in the WORLD) to secure the coveted Non-Immigrant Type; ('O'), ('B'), ('ED'), or (insert the letter of your choice here :whistling:) type of visa. With even marginal documentation, they'll issue you a year long visa.

Yes, with that type of visa, you hafta run-4-the-border every 3 months (but so what?) Play the numbers game right and youre here; in-country almost a year and 3 months!

They are quite easy going in the qualifications you must have to get the visa you want (need).

That they raised the proverbial 'bar' insofar as "visiting friends" is no surprise to anyone, OR IS IT? (Try to secure that kind of visa in S/E Asia or in the US, and get back to me on it will you?)

Man!! The change they made sure seemed to "ruffle some feathers" of the posers <sic>, errrr, posters here on T/V, huh?

As an aside; I just (as in two minutes ago) sent an email to Hull asking about a multi-entry Non-O visa for the purpose of "visiting friends" in Thailand; when I get their answer I'll post it, okay?

BTW: I'm on an extension of stay based on retirement, so in reality, I don't care.

I just wanted to know, (being nosy and all! :P )

Edited by tod-daniels

You cannot convert to a "O-A" visa inside Thailand. What you can get is a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, if you qualify.

Yes, I know what a 'retirement visa', O-A (the A is for annual, as in the term of extension) or whatever you care to call it is. I had one for 5 consectutive years, left Thailand for a time, so needed a fresh Non-Imm 'O' so I could apply again. The point I was makiing was relative to how little paperwork was required by Hull. Simple as that!

I wish I knew why people keep spouting on about how wonderful Hull is.

I sent my passport, a visa application form, 2 photos and a cheque for GBP100 to Birmingham with no documentation at all and got my 1 year multiple entry visa back by return of post (under 48 hours).

I dont really see how anything could be simpler than that but all I ever read here is "Hull this" and "Hull that". I mean, I like Lindisfarne as much as anyone my age does but I like ELO also, if anyone here gets the reference.

I wish I knew why people keep spouting on about how wonderful Hull is.

Probably because members do not post their experiences of other consulates.

We rely on members doing so.

Thanks for giving us your details of your dealings with the Consulate in Birmingham.

It is appreciated. :)

For those not as old as us.

Lindisfarne were a British folk/rock group from Newcastle upon Tyne established in 1970 and fronted by singer/songwriter Alan Hull. :guitar:

Actually I have previously mentioned the ease with which I got my visa from Birmingham. Worth mentioning again, I think. The speed was the most impressive part.

When I was looking at the Hull, Birmingham and London websites to see where to apply to I chose Birmingham simply because I found I could get there from near London more easily and more cheaply than getting to London, just in case a personal visit was needed. In the end it wasnt, so I was more than happy.

Hull were just about the last Consulate to issue a non-o for 'visiting friends', that option has now been removed :(

Does anyone know if you can still apply for a non O for visiting your girlfriend? Thats what i normally put on my application. I can't get anything to download from Hull...

If you can't get Non-O for "Visiting Friends" why would "visiting your girlfriend" be any difference.... ;)

Well that was what i was thinking, but i was hoping that they might look at it differently as it is a relationship as opposed to visiting a friend. But thank you for your reply. I have now emailed Hull to see what they say and also to ask if there is any documentary evidence i can provide to back up my future application. If not i'll guess i go down the Education Visa route. :jap:

Try 'visiting my future wife' after all, it's true in a majority of cases, even if you've not met her yet!!

Fog on the.. Humber? No.

Last train to... Birmingham? No.

What you on about now?

Sorry. My grasp of geography north of Watford is a little poor. :whistling:

Shortly after posting I realised that the Hull I was thinking about in Lindisfarne was the band member of the same name and not the town which I was indeed confusing with Newcastle. I will put on my Alan Partridge blazer badge and tie set and do suitable penance (and who gets the

there?).

The ELO reference was correct though, as they are a Brummie band (and Tony Hancock was born there also).

Actually I have previously mentioned the ease with which I got my visa from Birmingham. Worth mentioning again, I think. The speed was the most impressive part.

I've just got my visa back from Hull. Posted on Thursday afternoon & came back on Saturday morning. How's that for speed (and service)?:lol:

I've just got my visa back from Hull. Posted on Thursday afternoon & came back on Saturday morning. How's that for speed (and service)?:lol:

Right..... well done.

What type visa and what excuse did you give?

That was exactly the same time-scale as mine. Right down to the day of the week.

I sent my passport, a visa application form, 2 photos and a cheque for GBP100 to Birmingham with no documentation at all and got my 1 year multiple entry visa back by return of post (under 48 hours)...

When was that?

Right..... well done.

What type visa and what excuse did you give?

Only a single entry tourist I'm afraid. :whistling:

Although I was expecting an inquiry, as I put Cambodia in the 'travel details after Thailand' field. :ermm: