Teaching In Other Countrys Near Los

westybrook

If working in LOS is too stressful and the money is no good for us, then where can a English man with a Thai wife go to outside of Thailand.

What countrys are looking for teachers and what countrys are ok with Thai Citizens comming over too (She has a passport) but I assume would maybe need a visa, or not, im not sure?

If you know please quote.

Thanks!

If working in LOS is too stressful and the money is no good for us, then where can a English man with a Thai wife go to outside of Thailand.

What countrys are looking for teachers and what countrys are ok with Thai Citizens comming over too (She has a passport) but I assume would maybe need a visa, or not, im not sure?

If you know please quote.

Thanks!

Japan or Korea.

In JP you would get 2500US$ per month. 100K baht. On that money you can pay about 600-700US for a room.

What you can afford to live at would be a bed-town, hacking the trains every morning and evening.

If you are married, there would be little or no problems coming together, once you have the work sorted out.

I would suggest you come first and face all the impossibilities.

Just to clarify, Korea requires a degree to get a teaching visa in order to work legally. I believe that they also now want a TEFL certificate. In Japan, if you are under 30 and hold a British, Australian (and I think US) passport, you can get a one year youth visa without a degree. This entitles you to work, including teaching, but there are restrictions (cannot work at the same place for more than three months?) and it cannot be extended. Thais are not entitled to this visa, so am not sure how your wife would fare.

A simple Google search will give you more information and confirm what I have said.

Edited by Rumpole

Bottom end "conversation school" salaries (which is basically what you're looking at without a degree and/or experience) have actually been going DOWN recently. Used to be about Y250,000 a month, but some places are now paying Y170,000. Air fares and accommodation are rarely provided. Japan can be a fairly expensive place, and I've heard people suggest that it is wise to bring about US$5000 to set yourself up and tide you over until your first pay day.

Edited by Rumpole

One of my friends confirms that salaries are being reduced in Japan. Prices are also theoretically undergoing deflation there (especially the outrageous rents), but I would doubt things had changed enough to justify any decrease in salary. Sounds like Japan's beginning to experience more serious effects from their state of denial about their declining economy.

"Steven"

Doesn't Vietnam also require a degree? I do know that they have recently tightened up on the paperwork and are now requiring a work permit. It is no longer possible to teach on just a business visa. I also understand that they are demanding reams of documentation to get the permit - including a police clearance certificate from your home country.

I think Vietnam would be great...but I heard the pay is horrible. I met a guy a few years ago in Dalat that was making around $100 per month. Doing it mostly for fun, but he was teaching at the university. Hard to live on that...have you heard about folks making more than that?

Sure, Tokyo pays a lot, but it is outrageously expensive. I agree that Korea might be better

Cruise www.eslcafe.com. Great info on that site for teachers.

In my opinion, Viet Nam is a bit of a hidden jewel. The people are very friendly and seriously intelligent. It is totally safe, except for the occassional gold or cellphone snatch. The expat community isn't very big here, but it is pretty high-quality. It is certainly great to get to the bustle of Bangkok with all of the shopping etc. but it is also nice to ride your motorbike five minutes to work, while only having to dodge about 10 tanker trucks that don't stop at red lights! If you are able to secure proper work, you can really save though. I bank nearly a 100K baht a month and I live in a brand-new 2BR condo. With regard to a thai wife, my wife is Thai, she enters on her passport visa and hassle-free and then she gets a six-month business visa in-country for $100 US.

In my opinion, Viet Nam is a bit of a hidden jewel.  The people are very friendly and seriously intelligent.  It is totally safe, except for the occassional gold or cellphone snatch. The expat community isn't very big here, but it is pretty high-quality.  It is certainly great to get to the bustle of Bangkok with all of the shopping etc. but it is also nice to ride your motorbike five minutes to work, while only having to dodge about 10 tanker trucks that don't stop at red lights!  If you are able to secure proper work, you can really save though.  I bank nearly a 100K baht a month and I live in a brand-new 2BR condo.  With regard to a thai wife, my wife is Thai, she enters on her passport visa and hassle-free and then she gets a six-month business visa in-country for $100 US.

In my opinion, Viet Nam is a bit of a hidden jewel.  The people are very friendly and seriously intelligent.  It is totally safe, except for the occassional gold or cellphone snatch. The expat community isn't very big here, but it is pretty high-quality.  It is certainly great to get to the bustle of Bangkok with all of the shopping etc. but it is also nice to ride your motorbike five minutes to work, while only having to dodge about 10 tanker trucks that don't stop at red lights!  If you are able to secure proper work, you can really save though.  I bank nearly a 100K baht a month and I live in a brand-new 2BR condo.  With regard to a thai wife, my wife is Thai, she enters on her passport visa and hassle-free and then she gets a six-month business visa in-country for $100 US.

WOW! That is awesome! My wife has been to Vietnam one time and she loved it. Not too crazy about the food, but loved the country. I hear ya on the traffic. One of the few places in the world (Cambo is the other) where I have seen people merge onto streets without even looking. It was amazing how many wrecks I saw in my one month there...many were people on bikes being taken out by crazy truck/bus drivers. But, what a great country from a cultural point of view. Just amazing...

Hi I've been to my brothers wedding in England, lovely it was, he’s only 19 as well but very mature and was a great day.

Guys listen to me, I’m so very thankful for any reply I get to any post I make, I'm not in it to boost my post count :o or anything like that, but raising individual questions I find gets a lot more exposure and so gets better results for me.

Yeah I’m asking all kinds of questions I know, some are helping others too, but while I’m in the UK I want to know the best location for me to teach, people have said Vietnam, a place I was unsure about and have never given a second thought, but now its been mentioned I will and if I can get more info about this then great :D

Hi I've been to my brothers wedding in England, lovely it was, he’s only 19 as well but very mature and was a great day.

Guys listen to me, I’m so very thankful for any reply I get to any post I make, I'm not in it to boost my post count :o  or anything like that, but raising individual questions I find gets a lot more exposure and so gets better results for me.

Yeah I’m asking all kinds of questions I know, some are helping others too, but while I’m in the UK I want to know the best location for me to teach, people have said Vietnam, a place I was unsure about and have never given a second thought, but now its been mentioned I will and if I can get more info about this then great :D

Check out www.eslcafe.com. I did and it was interesting reading regarding teaching in Vietnam.

Guys listen to me, I’m so very thankful for any reply I get to any post I make, I'm not in it to boost my post count :o  or anything like that, but raising individual questions I find gets a lot more exposure and so gets better results for me.

you're still a troll. I'm glad I didn't know about the board when I was still at home. It would have discouraged me from even coming to Thailand, especially teaching. Only you know what is best for you. Personally, I don't like Vietnam. I'll save reasons for another thread.