Getting With Own Car On Koh Samet

hansje1980

Hi all,Seems this is the only forum I can post my questions (it says routes as well hehe).Ive been Googling and found out that there are no ferries from the mainland to Koh Samet... however, these posts are from 2008.Since there are cars driving there (songtaews, and people who live there) I was wondering if I can jump on a special kind of ferry to this island as well.Thanks in advance!Hans

The island is so small with limited roads there's really no where to drive to on the island.

The only vehicles I've seen (besides ATVs) are bikes and a few pick-ups doubling as baht buses.

Most leave their cars on the lot by the dock on the other side.

Hi.

There are no CAR ferries to Koh Samed - "all passenger only" boats depart from Ban Phe. Cobra is correct, there are no tarmac roads on the island all are dirt / sand tracks only - motorbikes / truck taxis (songthews)

are many, There are NO cars. ---- you will have to leave your car in Ban Phe

check out this site for good up to date info on koh samed & ferry times - http://kohsamed.net its the best site on the internet

enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

we were there last November - believe there is one 'taxi' company - all using the green pickups as per pic, the roads are dreadful and a standard car would definitely not make it the length of the island, we were at an absolute crawl in places, 4wd is a must plus lots of ground clearance; it would be a lot owrse after rain, huge ruts

Motorbikes were available for 300b per day. By comparison a one-way pickup trip to Ao Wai beach (2nd pic) is 450 baht one way - but not per person, per 'load' and we traveled with another couple so just over 100b each.