Work/Business Visa ?

I would guess initially you might get away with a Non-imm B.....to look at persuing business interests in Thailand....ie setting up a business, therefore you might get away with just the Non-imm B without a WP at the beginning

but eventually you would need to set up a THB 2.0 mil ltd company ( THB 1.0 mil, if married to a Thai national) and get a work permit proper

So a little more involved that just obtaining a visa....

While a non-immigrant B visa would be the best choice, it would not be necessary to set up a separate company. In this case since you would be sourcing materials for a foreign company, a representative office could be a better fit. The office would have to apply for an Alien Business Permit and lodge notarized documentation of its incorporation with the Ministry of Commerce along with a fair amount of documentation regarding incorporation, minutes etc.

Two work permits would be available for a Representative office however it is required to remit into Thailand for its operating expenditure, a total of Baht 5 million over a period of five years, with Baht 2 million being remitted within the first year. These funds may not later be remitted out. The capital may be used for normal working capital requirements, e.g. to pay operating expenditure such as salaries and rent.

The fees for such applications are low with the initial fee 2,000 Baht. Once the application is approved, the fees are 5 Baht per 1,000 Baht capitalization of the Head Office. The minimum government fee is 20,000 Baht and the maximum government fee is 250,000 Baht. Annual reports will need to be filed and the Allen Business Permit renewed every 5 years.

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

I would guess initially you might get away with a Non-imm B.....to look at persuing business interests in Thailand....ie setting up a business, therefore you might get away with just the Non-imm B without a WP at the beginning

but eventually you would need to set up a THB 2.0 mil ltd company ( THB 1.0 mil, if married to a Thai national) and get a work permit proper

So a little more involved that just obtaining a visa....

Are you saying that to be completely legal, a person, lets say, a soap salesman, who comes to thailand to selll his product to a supplier needs a 2mill bt company?

Are you saying that to be completely legal, a person, lets say, a soap salesman, who comes to thailand to selll his product to a supplier needs a 2mill bt company?

You aren't a "whatever" salesman coming to Thailand to sell your product. You are living here. That changes what is required. And as Sunbelt pointed out, there are other options.

While a non-immigrant B visa would be the best choice, it would not be necessary to set up a separate company. In this case since you would be sourcing materials for a foreign company, a representative office could be a better fit. The office would have to apply for an Alien Business Permit and lodge notarized documentation of its incorporation with the Ministry of Commerce along with a fair amount of documentation regarding incorporation, minutes etc.

Two work permits would be available for a Representative office however it is required to remit into Thailand for its operating expenditure, a total of Baht 5 million over a period of five years, with Baht 2 million being remitted within the first year. These funds may not later be remitted out. The capital may be used for normal working capital requirements, e.g. to pay operating expenditure such as salaries and rent.

The fees for such applications are low with the initial fee 2,000 Baht. Once the application is approved, the fees are 5 Baht per 1,000 Baht capitalization of the Head Office. The minimum government fee is 20,000 Baht and the maximum government fee is 250,000 Baht. Annual reports will need to be filed and the Allen Business Permit renewed every 5 years.

I never said I would be sourcing materials.There would be no office, no employees. It would be a salesman coming from Australia with a bag of samples of the finished product and trying to sell them.

I never said I would be sourcing materials.There would be no office, no employees. It would be a salesman coming from Australia with a bag of samples of the finished product and trying to sell them.

Will you be living here or will you be "coming from Australia"?

I live here.But, to work,as you know, I cant keep the retirement visa.So, I guess, then I wouldnt be living here!!!

I humbly disagree with "Sunbelt" on this one.....it appears the OP intends to sell overseas product in Thailand, my understsnding of a representative office is to source products and services in Thailand for overseas companies, therefore a representative office would not be applicable in this instance.

I humbly disagree with "Sunbelt" on this one.....it appears the OP intends to sell overseas product in Thailand, my understsnding of a representative office is to source products and services in Thailand for overseas companies, therefore a representative office would not be applicable in this instance.

I would tend to agree. There are more ''experts '' on all things in thailand than there are ex special forces viet vets.

I live here.But, to work,as you know, I cant keep the retirement visa.So, I guess, then I wouldnt be living here!!!

Do you mean people are not allowed to work here AND live here?? What I am doing here? Are they going to put me in jail?

Maybe you need to provide more information rather than being sarcastic to people trying to help you.

You indicated in the OP that you live here. You didn't saying anything about changing that.

Do you mean people are not allowed to work here AND live here?? What I am doing here? Are they going to put me in jail?

Maybe you need to provide more information rather than being sarcastic to people trying to help you.

You indicated in the OP that you live here. You didn't saying anything about changing that.

I do get angry when people dont read what is said, and then comment . I said, If you are on a retirement visa, you cannot work in thailand.

You would still need a Thai entity, ie a Thai company to "sponser" the salesman's non-imm B....as the intent is to persue business possibilities in Thailand, may get away with the WP requirement.

I do get angry when people dont read what is said, and then comment . I said, If you are on a retirement visa, you cannot work in thailand.

Correct. On a retirement visa, you cannot work in Thailand.

But, you can live AND work in Thailand using other visas.

Since you DID say that you live in Thailand, and DIDN'T say that you would not live in Thailand, it was a fair assumption to think that you wanted to continue to live in Thailand while working.

Correct. On a retirement visa, you cannot work in Thailand.

But, you can live AND work in Thailand using other visas.

Since you DID say that you live in Thailand, and DIDN'T say that you would not live in Thailand, it was a fair assumption to think that you wanted to continue to live in Thailand while working.

Your assumption is correct. I am not going to take the job on if I cant do it legally.No monkey house for me. So, back to what I originally asked, how do i do it, legally???

Your assumption is correct. I am not going to take the job on if I cant do it legally.No monkey house for me. So, back to what I originally asked, how do i do it, legally???

The answer to your original question will be different depending on whether you want to continue to live here or not.

The answer to your original question will be different depending on whether you want to continue to live here or not.

The handbags are out......:w00t:

To do it legally, you need to set up or use an existing Thai entity to obtain a WP if you live here....if there is a salesman flying in from Aussie he needs to be "sponsered" by a Thai entity

Please clarify exactly what the arrangment is and you will get better advice....are you the "salesman flying in from Aussie" ?

Ive been blocked from making anymore remarks, and, my question is still unanswered. Great.

Answer:

You will need a non-B visa and a work permit sponsored by a Thai entity.

And to take it one step further....if you cannot find a Thai entity to sponser you as regards a WP and Non-imm B...you will need to set up your own company...ie THB 2.0 mil/company + 4 Thai employees....in first years of business you will be making 90 day visa runs, until tax returns are subbmitted for the company, then you may qualify for extension of stay, I believe these days is year 3 ?

Tax returns!! No monies would be paid to me.The company I may work for, may see fit to put a bit of tea money into a bank account in Auss. ( just to cover expenses, you understand!)

You will need to show tax return when renewing the work permit.

Tax returns!! No monies would be paid to me.The company I may work for, may see fit to put a bit of tea money into a bank account in Auss. ( just to cover expenses, you understand!)

No tax return....no WP renewal...You want to know how to do this legally...and you are getting your questions answered

• Submit your valid, signed, U.S. Passport
  • 1 Visa Application Form, completed and signed
  • 2 Passport-type photographs required
  • Completed Cover Page and Credit Card Authorization forms (print from browser)
  • Letter of invitation from a host company in Thailand. Invitation should request Multiple Entries visa if required. Fax accepted.
  • A copy of the applicant's recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance ($500 per person and $1,000 per family)

• A business letter of responsibility (sample) is required, to be typewritten on your company letterhead and addressed to:
    Embassy of Thailand, Visa Section, Washington DC Form a company, pay tax, get an office,get a thai sponsor,etc etc. If anybody wants any visa info, just contact me in future.

• Letter of invitation from a host company in Thailand. Invitation should request Multiple Entries visa if required. Fax accepted.
  • A copy of the applicant's recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance ($500 per person and $1,000 per family)

• A business letter of responsibility (sample) is required, to be typewritten on your company letterhead and addressed to:
    Embassy of Thailand, Visa Section, Washington DC Form a company, pay tax, get an office,get a thai sponsor,etc etc. If anybody wants any visa info, just contact me in future.

Does that allow you to live here?

edit: and that mentions US passport. Are you a US citizen? You only mentioned Australia.

Edited by whybother

My question was Been here many years on a retirement visa. I have been offered the chance to find customers ,in Thailand, for sandalwood spent dust and cosmetics with sandalwood ingredient. An Australian manufacturer. ( no Thai competition). What visa would I need??? The answer is, business visa, how to get one is posted above. US, Auss, irrelevant, I have answered my own question. You were all on the wrong track.

Yes and ??...this is pretty much standard process for a business visa, and you will somewhere on the application a statment that you are not allowed to work on a Non-imm B, you still need a WP.....this visa is used to look at business possibilites in Thailand, not for what you are intending and you still need a Thai entity sponser for this visa type