Buying Land In Maesai - No Proper Chanote

Hi

I am interested in buying land in Mae Sa. The location is as follows - go past the X-centre and monkey shows, then turn off left before Mae Sai waterfall. I am told that even though the land areas for sale here do not come with the Chanote, they are still safe to buy and as a bonus, Chanotes will be allotted to these plots in the coming years, thus boosting their value. Can anyone in this area having experience buying/ selling land expand on this information please? Legality/ Can build or not/ Local rules etc.

Many thanks

Brobro

Edited by brobro2424

You need more information. Not having Chanote level is typically fine, but there have to be some sort of ownership papers IMHO, such as a N.S. 3 document (Nor Sor Sam).

If there are no papers whatsoever then it gets VERY iffy, especially in that area where a lot of land could easily be (or become) part of the Doi Suthep-Pui National Park.

Of course, some people do report good results also without proper papers, but I would be hesitant to pay top dollar for such land (that area would typically be pretty expensive, not under a million per rai). Another factor is if your partner who officially owns the land is native to the area and/or if you reside in that area. Often for papers to be issued or upgraded, (or for land not to be claimed for the National Park or other government purposes) your partner needs to demonstrate actual use of the land, be it for farming or residential purposes.

How can you "buy ...

Best to leave that to a separate discussion.

Edited by CheGuava

It what way do you intend to buy the land?

Business, company?

If there is no proper chanote or red paper, then this may cause you all sorts of problems.

Later on the area of land purchased could come into dispute because it has to be re-measured if a chanote is applied for. There maybe restrictions on what can be built on the land if it`s agricultrual.

If you are not entitled to own the land in the first place, then this whole thread is irrelevant.

it's sometimes ok to buy land that have basic ownership papers, village style, but be aware of the fact that when it gets upgraded to chanote, they put a stamp that says that the land is not transferrable for 10 years (sometimes 5) so you have restrictions in selling it. but even with this kind of paper people do sell and buy.

another thing to keep into consideration is: can you put it in the bank to get a loan as you would with a chanote?im not sure about the answer to that.

bottomline is: the price of the land today should reflect these restrictions, so it should be cheaper that a normal chanote. if not, i wouldnt buy it.

good luck!

I think this is better served in the Real Estate forum. Whether in CM, or anywhere else in Thailand, buying land without a proper title is a risky thing to do. Maybe some more responses to this will help you in your decision. We can move this back if you desire, but I think the RE forum will provide you with some great replies. OK?

Topic Moved. :)

Depends on if your just buying it to give to the missus with no intention of building, borrowing, selling etc.. Lots of Thailand is still on 'lesser' titles but unless your talking pocket money and throw away amounts then as a farang, possibly with the idea to build a quality home, or to resell later, I wouldnt buy anything less than NS3.

Yes I recently considered getting some beautiful grom tanarak land. I decided the land holding was safe, but what you should also consider is that you can have no contract liened against the title because there isn't one. Even if you trust your wife or gf anything could happen in future including her death or madness etc etc and who would the land go to then?

If you could afford another house and land if things go wrong and are not likely to get caught with your pants down go ahead....

Chanotes will be alloted to these plots in the coming years

We looked at land only a couple-of-miles from this, but rejected it because of the chanote-problem, that was several years ago and friends in the area tell me that the "coming years" have yet to arrive !

Caveat Emptor, especially if you were to build a nice house on the land, increasing its value. B)