Is Million Baht Large Sum?

gravion

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At today's rate 1M Bahts is less than $33,000.

Do you call yourself rich with $33,000 in your account ?

The only reason the Thai elite wants to keep foreigners at bay it's because the average China "nouveau riche" has more money that the top Thailand tycoons.

No, it doesn't make you rich, but consider the percentage of people in the world who have a liquid 30K USD? I bet it is not a large percentage of people. So to someone who is living hand to mouth, which sadly is majority of people in the world, they might think that is rich, and from their perspective, maybe it is.

Edited by Jingthing

Horses for courses really.

If you're already set up here with furnished homes and wotnot, it's loads. I mean that'll last a family living sensibly (living part Thai, part Farang) about four or five years.

If you're in the market for a new pick-up, it'll leave you perhaps 300,000 Baht change. 700,000 Baht change if you find decent used.

It'll build a modest yet comfortable three bedroom home in Issan . . . just about.

But no, it's not a fortune by any stretch of the imagination. As a tourist traveling about and staying in hotels and eating in restaurants, that can easily disappear in twelve to eighteen months.

1 million baht makes you far from being rich, but it is still a lot of money.

Anybody who says it is not a lot of money are either rich, classless oafs or they are just lying.

It is a large sum of money to be carrying about, and it would hurt to lose it in the wash, even for the wealthy. However, 1 million baht is the quarterly expenditures for some expats. Alot of foreigners have that in their current accounts. After all there is the 800K rule and the monthly expenditures, so its not necessarily an unusual amount to have.

Anybody who says it is not a lot of money are either rich, classless oafs or they are just lying.

1 million Dollars makes you far from being rich, but it still is a lot of money.

Anybody who says that 1 million Baht is a lot of money is either a poor, classless oaf or he is just lying.

1 million Dollars makes you far from being rich, but it still is a lot of money.

Anybody who says that 1 million Baht is a lot of money is either a poor, classless oaf or he is just lying.

That didn't take long!

That didn't take long!

Yes, sooner than l thought. :rolleyes:

That didn't take long!

It doesn't take long to write a stupid response to a stupid post.

Gee, Transam, I was expecting to get a "+1" from you -- maybe next time...........

That didn't take long!

It doesn't take long to write a stupid response to a stupid post.

Gee, Transam, I was expecting to get a "+1" from you -- maybe next time...........

Try to think about it.

That kind of money can make a huge and positive difference to the lives of many people.

In some countries it can build schools and fund hospitals. It can fund improvements which improve the lives of whole communities for generations to come. It can home whole families and be the seed investment which generates income for many workers for years to come.

Just try to think of all the positive things that kind of money can do and then try to remember that for the vast majority of the planet's population, that money is an unassailable amount. That entire communities will not achieve that sum between them. That many will not even see anything like that amount cumulatively throughout their entire life.

Of course numbers are all relative. But 1 million baht really can do so much for so many.

Only for somebody like you to suggest that it is not a lot of money, whilst suggesting that anybody who thinks otherwise is stupid.

Real smooth.

Its the price of an average car - twice the price of a cheap one - new of course. You can buy a small house in many places in Thailand for that. The term "rich" is subjective, so I'll leave the rest for you to decide.

How big a container would you need to contain one million baht in one baht coins?

about 400 M3 - including the air space between them (although they are round, stacks would take up a square base of 20mmX20mm)

Edited by wolf5370

that statement is bordering on flaming but ill let it run for the moment. and may i add:

i get 1,500 shekels a month, thai husband makes 4000 shekels a month as , presently , an agricultural worker. out of that we pay his health insurance, half of apartment rent, and food for us. we are left with about 1000 shekels a month for real living (electicity, internet, cell phone/land phone) + dogs/vets, stuff for the kids even if they are over 18 (when they come to visit/eat with us; stuff for my 17 yr old who gets her own 300 shekels a month but is a girl, so thats not a real lot).. how much in baht? 8 baht to the shekel: 44,000 baht a month / about 1000 $ plus minus a month.... so how much is 33,000$ ? for me its a huge huge sum..........i cant think that ive ever seen that much at once, except on paper, when i was in college and had college loans in the states....

but if its not a lot for you, then u can send to my account as a donation for the betterment of society, make a difference in someone's life (mine and family) ; trust me, i will put it to wise and practical use...

please rethink your wording when deciding when money is a huge sum or not, for a specific family in a specific situation.

bina

israel

that statement is bordering on flaming but ill let it run for the moment. and may i add:

i get 1,500 shekels a month, thai husband makes 4000 shekels a month as , presently , an agricultural worker. out of that we pay his health insurance, half of apartment rent, and food for us. we are left with about 1000 shekels a month for real living (electicity, internet, cell phone/land phone) + dogs/vets, stuff for the kids even if they are over 18 (when they come to visit/eat with us; stuff for my 17 yr old who gets her own 300 shekels a month but is a girl, so thats not a real lot).. how much in baht? 8 baht to the shekel: 44,000 baht a month / about 1000 $ plus minus a month.... so how much is 33,000$ ? for me its a huge huge sum..........i cant think that ive ever seen that much at once, except on paper, when i was in college and had college loans in the states....

but if its not a lot for you, then u can send to my account as a donation for the betterment of society, make a difference in someone's life (mine and family) ; trust me, i will put it to wise and practical use...

please rethink your wording when deciding when money is a huge sum or not, for a specific family in a specific situation.

bina

israel

I tell you Bina, times they are a changing and it's going to be huge sum to many who presently think it's not so very much. That'll likely include many reading this thread.

To me it used to be around two to three months pay. Now it's likely to be two to three years pay, which is great as there hasn't been any work around for the past 18 months.

Cue Bob Dylan . . .

That was just enough to afford a downtown dinner several years ago... B)

Yeah, think it was that event that my gf was invited to by a japanese business man in 2007...she didn't know the cover-charge was a million per plate and was later told by someone she knew that was part of the manager of the event...she didn't get impressed (apparently didn't like the food that much) and said she would have been happier if he just gave the money to her instead, then perhaps he would have gotten a second date. ;)

Never seen the pics from it before, just the amount and year told back to me by ppl involved.

That was just enough to afford a downtown dinner several years ago... B)

Yeah, think it was that event that my gf was invited to by a japanese business man in 2007...she didn't know the cover-charge was a million per plate and was later told by someone she knew that was part of the manager of the event...she didn't get impressed (apparently didn't like the food that much) and said she would have been happier if he just gave the money to her instead, then perhaps he would have gotten a second date. ;)

Never seen the pics from it before, just the amount and year told back to me by ppl involved.

I'm not against spending money and I don't begrudge those who have money to spend. If there is something that I like that is a bit expensive, and I can afford it, then I'll buy it. I've eaten at some fantastic restaurants, usually paid for by somebody else because I am not a wealthy man. Would I pay if I had the money?.... Yes. The food was great and I'd treat myself if I could.

But a million baht for a dinner?

Is it even possible to have a dinner that is worth paying a million baht for? To a starving man, sure. But to a well fed man who has other options? Surely not. I can only think that event's like that are just about showing you have the money to be there at all, about showing you are in with the 'high society' crowd. I know several millionaires and not one of them would be so vulgar as to visit a place just to show their wealth. They'd go to an expensive restaurant for good food but never, ever to show off.

Given the company that one is likely to find at an event like that million baht nosh-up, I think I'd rather get fish and chips from the off-shore bar late on a Friday night. The clientele would be much classier.

But a million baht for a dinner?

(On second read-through of the page, not the same event. This one was 1 million including a lot of side-things, only 8.9k baht per plate - the one I was referring to was 1 million for dinner only. It was a charity/collection event for hi-so people.)

I don't have 1 million to blow on a dinner - even if it is for charity - so I wouldn't. But to each their own. I know she wasn't so impressed with the event anyway - so if that was his intent it failed some. ;)

Edited by TAWP

Foe me it is about my current monthly salary so not really a large sum. But 15 years ago I would have thought it was a large sum and probably in 10 years when I am retired it will seem to be a reasonable sum. Everything subjective is always based on ones personal situation so the original topic starter question is "loaded" anyway.

It is easy to say its not a lot of money for average thaivisa poster, especially having in mind most of the posters live(d) in developed English speaking countries (USA, UK, Australia etc) where expenses justify high sallary ( 250k baht / month or whatever).

On the other hand, it IS a lot of money for most of the world. For example, I earn 3-4x average sallary / month in my country and 1 milion baht indeed is a lot of money for me. Since this question is posted on Thailand Visa forums, I would assume that OP question is directed to people living (currently or perminately) in THAILAND which makes me think its definately a lot of money. Yes, it depends on the lifestyle, but by that logic - you could have 100 million baht and it still isn't "enough" if you do nothing else in your life but spend money excessively wherever you go. For thai standards in thailand, yup. Lot of money.

I don't have 1 million to blow on a dinner - even if it is for charity - so I wouldn't. But to each their own. I know she wasn't so impressed with the event anyway - so if that was his intent it failed some. ;)

I seem to recall my first dinner " date" with my then to be wife was a 10 baht bowl of noodles balanced on some rickety plastic chair on a pavement in Bangkok. She paid cos I'd left my wallet in the office.

Class? I've got it falling out of my arsehol_e in spades.