Is Million Baht Large Sum?

gravion

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who says that 1 million Baht is a lot of money is either a poor, classless oaf or he is just lying.

that statement is bordering on flaming but ill let it run for the moment. and may i add:

i get 1,500 shekels a month, thai husband makes 4000 shekels a month as , presently , an agricultural worker. out of that we pay his health insurance, half of apartment rent, and food for us. we are left with about 1000 shekels a month for real living (electicity, internet, cell phone/land phone) + dogs/vets, stuff for the kids even if they are over 18 (when they come to visit/eat with us; stuff for my 17 yr old who gets her own 300 shekels a month but is a girl, so thats not a real lot).. how much in baht? 8 baht to the shekel: 44,000 baht a month / about 1000 $ plus minus a month.... so how much is 33,000$ ? for me its a huge huge sum..........i cant think that ive ever seen that much at once, except on paper, when i was in college and had college loans in the states....

but if its not a lot for you, then u can send to my account as a donation for the betterment of society, make a difference in someone's life (mine and family) ; trust me, i will put it to wise and practical use...

please rethink your wording when deciding when money is a huge sum or not, for a specific family in a specific situation.

bina

israel

Excellent and sensible reply Bina.

It very much depends on your personal circumstances.

Bill Gates would not consider 1,000,000 Baht a lot of money. While others would.

Craighj

How big a container would you need to contain one million baht in one baht coins?

about 400 M3 - including the air space between them (although they are round, stacks would take up a square base of 20mmX20mm)

I think your calculations are way off, just think about it 400 m3 is about the room of a 150 m2 apartment. Unless, of course, you mean something other than cubic metre with "M3 -" (cubic decimetre?).

A one baht coin is approximately 1.4 mm thick and as you mentioned 20 mm in diameter. That means it will take up 20 mm x 20 mm x 1.4 mm = 560 mm3. One million coins would therefore take up 560,000,000 mm3.

One meter is 1,000 mm, so one cubic meter is equal to 1,000 x 1,000 x 1,000 cubic mm, or 1,000,000,000 mm3. So one mllion baht coins would only take up just over half a cubic metre (560,000,000 mm3 / 1,000,000,000 mm3= 0.56 m3).

But I could be wrong, school was a long time ago.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Horses for courses really.

If you're already set up here with furnished homes and wotnot, it's loads. I mean that'll last a family living sensibly (living part Thai, part Farang) about four or five years.

If you're in the market for a new pick-up, it'll leave you perhaps 300,000 Baht change. 700,000 Baht change if you find decent used.

It'll build a modest yet comfortable three bedroom home in Issan . . . just about.

But no, it's not a fortune by any stretch of the imagination. As a tourist traveling about and staying in hotels and eating in restaurants, that can easily disappear in twelve to eighteen months.

Indeed horses for courses sir :)

In some ways it's a lot, in other ways not :)

I guess in your book living sensibly doesn't include having 2 kids and sending them to an international school, you pay for yourself. No way that would last 4 - 5 years. You'd be lucky to get much change out of one years school fees + all the other add ons for having kids :)

As an aside, if you have net wealth of US $500,000 or more you are amongst the wealthiest 1% of people in the world (wikipedia).

That's a little surprising considering how many first world people have wealth over that level just based on owning a home, etc. Can you provide a link?

As an aside, if you have net wealth of US $500,000 or more you are amongst the wealthiest 1% of people in the world (wikipedia).

That's a little surprising considering how many first world people have wealth over that level just based on owning a home, etc. Can you provide a link?

Likely few of those millions and millions that own homes have $500k in equity.

But I do agree the number seems somewhat unbelievable.

TH

TH

How big a container would you need to contain one million baht in one baht coins?

about 400 M3 - including the air space between them (although they are round, stacks would take up a square base of 20mmX20mm)

I think your calculations are way off, just think about it 400 m3 is about the room of a 150 m2 apartment. Unless, of course, you mean something other than cubic metre with "M3 -" (cubic decimetre?).

A one baht coin is approximately 1.4 mm thick and as you mentioned 20 mm in diameter. That means it will take up 20 mm x 20 mm x 1.4 mm = 560 mm3. One million coins would therefore take up 560,000,000 mm3.

One meter is 1,000 mm, so one cubic meter is equal to 1,000 x 1,000 x 1,000 cubic mm, or 1,000,000,000 mm3. So one mllion baht coins would only take up just over half a cubic metre (560,000,000 mm3 / 1,000,000,000 mm3= 0.56 m3).

But I could be wrong, school was a long time ago.

Sophon

I took the coin to be 1mm thick (used a ruler so not very accurate) - but I did make a mistake of course (I used the 1 from 1mm instead of 0.001M) - whoops! - so it should hae been 0.4M3 - still be bloody heavy though

Edited by wolf5370

what is the difference between a person with a million bath and with a person with billiion baht?

i know this lady who is the owner of this manufacturing company but doesnt seem very differnt from us ordinaries...

if u've got money, u could afford a bigger house, more xpensive cars, maybe a diamond implanted gold phone and watches? maybe goes to overseas trip once in a while?

do u really want them even if uve got billion baht...?

for me, if ive got enuff for beer and some food, and i got some shelter with bed, im all good in da hood....:jap:

+ some savings for those MEDICAL FEES.... lifes hard man

Foe me it is about my current monthly salary so not really a large sum. But 15 years ago I would have thought it was a large sum and probably in 10 years when I am retired it will seem to be a reasonable sum. Everything subjective is always based on ones personal situation so the original topic starter question is "loaded" anyway.

Lucky you, I have to work twice as hard as you to get that much, of course it all depends on the exchange rate too.

But it's best to consider how large or small it is by the amount you actually spend.

To borrow a phrase from Mr. McCawber.

If you spend 1.5 million then 1 million is a small sum.

If you spend 0.5 million then 1 million is a large sum.

Edited by PattayaParent

Horses for courses really.

If you're already set up here with furnished homes and wotnot, it's loads. I mean that'll last a family living sensibly (living part Thai, part Farang) about four or five years.

If you're in the market for a new pick-up, it'll leave you perhaps 300,000 Baht change. 700,000 Baht change if you find decent used.

It'll build a modest yet comfortable three bedroom home in Issan . . . just about.

But no, it's not a fortune by any stretch of the imagination. As a tourist traveling about and staying in hotels and eating in restaurants, that can easily disappear in twelve to eighteen months.

Indeed horses for courses sir :)

In some ways it's a lot, in other ways not :)

I guess in your book living sensibly doesn't include having 2 kids and sending them to an international school, you pay for yourself. No way that would last 4 - 5 years. You'd be lucky to get much change out of one years school fees + all the other add ons for having kids :)

Ouch! Ouch, ouch, ouch! :(

No, no international schools. Mines at a small private school up here in the sticks which costs me around 10,000 Baht a year total. Later on she'll go to one of the excellent state schools in the local city, a few of which are far better than the local private offerings.

The one wonderful thing about this country is you can live at all levels. I keep things going nice and steady now, good food, clothes, bills paid, normal living on likely 200k a year basic. It's not great fun but it's no worse (much better in fact) than living the same life in the UK where the government would take three times that in taxes if you're on an average wage.

So yes, horses for courses.

Edited by MJP

I would think,Money is Relative to your own personal circumstances,

If 1,000,000 baht was your Total wealth,then it would have more importance,

than someone who had say, 10,000,000,a mere 10% of their wealth.

Losing 1,000,000 would be a catastrophe for one,but not the other.

Here's a link to a Times article that comes up with the same figure

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article661055.ece

Here's a link to a Times article that comes up with the same figure

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article661055.ece

Cool. I think I'll do a poll to see how elite the members are here!

To me a large sum is enough money to not have to work for the rest of my life, and a million baht doesn't cut it.

So, you are just too young to appreciate the value?

No, I guess I was being flip. I certainly would appreciate an additional million baht in my account!

Please vote in the are you elite poll!

Edited by Jingthing

what is the difference between a person with a million bath and with a person with billiion baht?

One million Baht, I'm happy

One billion, Monday I call my boss from my presidential suite in Vegas to tell him I resign

... and I won't probably bother to collect my cheque, so just have a party on my behalf B)

Edited by JurgenG

400 litre, get your math straight!!

My math is bad too. I thought it would be in meter also . Help me with this so my confused mind undestands it please. I am honestly confused why it is litre.. I alway relate litre to fluids. But like I said I am interested to learn.