Land Hitch Delays New Bangkok Skytrain Line

webfact

Land Hitch Delays New Skytrain Line

The Transport Ministry permanent secretary says the launch of the Red Line BTS train service from Bang Sue to Taling Chan is likely to be postponed after problems concerning land expropriation caused a significant delay in construction.

Transport Ministry Permanent Secretary Supoj Sublom disclosed that progress in the construction of the Red Line Skytrain, connecting Bang Sue with Taling Chan, is around 50 percent completed, which is about 20 percent less than scheduled.

He noted the delay was a result of problems concerning the expropriation of land at Rama VI, Wat Sao Hin and Si Nam-ngoen communities.

Supoj added he has ordered the State Railway of Thailand to assign Unique Engineering and Construction, which is contracted for the construction, to negotiate with the residents and ask them to move out by the end of this month.

The permanent secretary also discussed progress in the construction of the Purple Line underground train system, saying the construction is around 19 percent completed, which is about one percent more than expected.

As a result, he believes that the Purple Line will be operational in December 2014 instead of early 2015.

As for the road link between the Bang Pli-Suksawat Expressway and the Industrial Ring Road which is being constructed, Supoj said the project is expected to be completed in June.

This road link is expected to help facilitate traffic in southern Bangkok and ease congestion in nearby areas.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-03

footer_n.gif

I read somewhere that the BTS line from On Hut to Bang Na, is due to open this year. There doesn't appear to be much action going on there? So me thinks it would be a good idea to concentrate on projects already on going.

jb1

The BTS Sukhumvit line extension is scheduled to open on the 12th of August this year. That coincides with HM the Queen's birthday AKA mother's day in Thailand.

I was told it was to open this August 12th as well, let's hope that this time they mean it. :)

C

A possible problem is with the four-car trains. The new ones imported from China are supposed to run on the Silom line and the older German trains to be moved to the Sukhumvit line increasing length to four-cars also. There are still some problems with the new guidance / security system which can handle both type of trans and that may effect the operation on the extended Sukhumvit line (e.g. less trains, less cars, overcrowding, regular 'emergency stops', etc.). Still six months to go, keep your fingers crossed.

Edited by rubl

I am amazed , for any job or project to succeed , it is imperative to have and complete good preparation FIRST , this usualy enables 99%success of the job or project . Having now noted the land appropriation has not been completed , they are passing the buck to the construction company , who are the F@#%@heads responsible for this utter show of incompetance ? .

I would have added "But this is Thailand , what else can one expect " but I dare not for fear of the ramifications from the defense ensemble .

I was told it was to open this August 12th as well, let's hope that this time they mean it. :)

C

A possible problem is with the four-car trains. The new ones imported from China are supposed to run on the Silom line and the older German trains to be moved to the Sukhumvit line increasing length to four-cars also. There are still some problems with the new guidance / security system which can handle both type of trans and that may effect the operation on the extended Sukhumvit line (e.g. less trains, less cars, overcrowding, regular 'emergency stops', etc.). Still six months to go, keep your fingers crossed.

The chinese BTS cars are not that bad. Very, similiar to the ones used in Seoul, Korea.

The chinese BTS cars are not that bad. Very, similiar to the ones used in Seoul, Korea.

I may have phrased my reply incorrectly. I don't want to suggest the new carriages imported from China are not good. Strictly speaking I cannot even give a fair judgement on that, but as I user from what I've seen on the Silom line they're similar to the German stuff.

What I meant was that with two different suppliers it seems there was a need to switch to a more 'open' control/security system which can handle trains from various suppliers. This new system is being 'tuned'. The normal problems I'd say, nothing really extra-ordinary, just a bit annoying for passengers sometimes.

I was on the Suk line the other day, and they were running loudspeaker announcements at all the stations apologizing (again) for some kind of service problem/delay on the Silom line...

So it seems they've yet to solve the train control problems that have been plaguing the Silom line ever since the switchover to the new rail cars...

I wish they would increase the trains by one car length. The system is almost always overcrowded already and an extra carriage would solve a lot of issues. With increasing line access this is essential. I wonder if management has taken into account the increase in numbers with the opening of the new lines? The one to Samut Prakan will also be a welcome increase as access by road is very tedious and time consuming.

The land acquisition problems seem to happen with any construction project here and seems quite silly. It's well settled that the Government can take privately owned land for a public project, so instead of delaying projects while they argue about the price, a change in law that would allow the government to take the land immediately (by force if necessary) and settle the price in Court later would stop many delays. Such a law might also include giving the Courts the power to assess damages against land owners who delay projects by demanding unreasonable prices for their land. Extortion of the public should not be allowed.

I wish they would increase the trains by one car length. The system is almost always overcrowded already and an extra carriage would solve a lot of issues. With increasing line access this is essential. I wonder if management has taken into account the increase in numbers with the opening of the new lines? The one to Samut Prakan will also be a welcome increase as access by road is very tedious and time consuming.

They are in the process of changing the Silom line to 4 carriages with new trains, with the old trains being moved across to the Sukhumvit line. The Sukhumvit line is being changed to 4 carriages by adding a new carriage to the old trains. I'm not sure what the plans are for the MRT or SRT.

I don't think I've seen anything other than a 3 car train on the Sukhumvit line, at least as yet....

They are in the process of changing the Silom line to 4 carriages with new trains, with the old trains being moved across to the Sukhumvit line. The Sukhumvit line is being going to be changed to 4 carriages by adding a new carriage to the old trains. I'm not sure what the plans are for the MRT or SRT.

I seem to recall that BTS did buy (in the start up of the whole BTS system) more cars, but it was decided to run three car trains (for operating expense reaons) until passenger volumes were high enough to economically justify four car trains?

So why now are they buying cars so that they can have four car sets?

I seem to recall that BTS did buy (in the start up of the whole BTS system) more cars, but it was decided to run three car trains (for operating expense reaons) until passenger volumes were high enough to economically justify four car trains?

So why now are they buying cars so that they can have four car sets?

I don't know what they bought originally, but nothing would surprise me.

I do know that they have bought new four car sets for the Silom line, and the existing Silom three car sets will be moved over to the Sukhumvit line.

I understand that they are only buying new carriages, not full sets, to make all the Sukhumvit line trains into four car sets.

Heck it is getting confusing already, which carridge goes where. But yes the new ones on the Silom line are very bright and cheerful. But isn't this Thailand, they set something up, get it running well, then change the goalposts. Would be great to see it all up and running in August? Save driving to On Nut.

jb1

I am amazed , for any job or project to succeed , it is imperative to have and complete good preparation FIRST , this usualy enables 99%success of the job or project . Having now noted the land appropriation has not been completed , they are passing the buck to the construction company , who are the F@#%@heads responsible for this utter show of incompetance ? .

I would have added "But this is Thailand , what else can one expect " but I dare not for fear of the ramifications from the defense ensemble .

In Thailand it takes a few years to buld a new line. In the UK it takes 20-30 years to talk about it, 10 years to buy the land, get planning permission, etc. and another 10 years or so to build. This is no exaggeration.

Edited by w11guy

The already dangerously overcrowded down escalators at Siam Station are a disaster waiting to happen. I can't imagine how bad they will be when TWO, four car trains arrive at the same platform at the same time.

Crowd control has been one of the BTS's week points as anybody who regularly uses ASOK Station at rush hour knows. The advent of four car trains isn't going to help an already chaotic entrance area.

Heck it is getting confusing already, which carridge goes where. But yes the new ones on the Silom line are very bright and cheerful. But isn't this Thailand, they set something up, get it running well, then change the goalposts. Would be great to see it all up and running in August? Save driving to On Nut.

jb1

I was hoping it would be open by April for my own selfish reasons :whistling: , I'm back in Thailand in April and going to see my friend in BKK but he lives near Bearing. dam_n frustrating driving past so many shut stations before reaching On Nut when I was there in June.

w11guy' timestamp='1296816469' post='4196550']

timestamp='1296737041' post='4194426']

]

In Thailand it takes a few years to buld a new line. In the UK it takes 20-30 years to talk about it, 10 years to buy the land, get planning permission, etc. and another 10 years or so to build. This is no exaggeration.

I thought this thread was about trains in Thailand , I must have become 'De-railed' somewhere along the line , plus the OP concerned a new line in proccess where most posters also got side-tracked , or should that read 'Off topic ? .

I responded to this but for some strange reason have been restricted to my number of posts which are far less than many other posters ???????????/

I responded to this but for some strange reason have been restricted to my number of posts which are far less than many other posters ???????????/

"Number of posts" within 15 seconds.

The land acquisition problems seem to happen with any construction project here and seems quite silly. It's well settled that the Government can take privately owned land for a public project, so instead of delaying projects while they argue about the price, a change in law that would allow the government to take the land immediately (by force if necessary) and settle the price in Court later would stop many delays. Such a law might also include giving the Courts the power to assess damages against land owners who delay projects by demanding unreasonable prices for their land. Extortion of the public should not be allowed.

The Law is on the books in Thailand.

The name is: “the right of eminent domain”. Under this law the land can be taken by the government for the good of the citizens and the case for fair reimbursement settled in the court.

But as with all laws in Thailand, first a crackdown has to be announced of several months duration, after which the ambush is instigated.

whybother' timestamp='1296872625' post='419762'dumball' timestamp='1296841040' post='4197184']

w11guy' timestamp='1296816469' post='4196550']

'dumball' timestamp='1296737041' post='4194426']

"Number of posts" within 15 seconds.

[/quote

I happen to be a two finger typist , it takes me that long to type the first word forget about a whole paragraph .

It isn't a 'this is Thailand' thing dumball. I'd hardly call it major incompetence.

Since 2000, Bangkok has built more rail public transport than Melbourne or Sydney combined. And it continues to build more.

One could argue that despite the corruption, incompetence and general malaise of Thai politics, they've still managed to get things done.

Meanwhile, the local street directories in Australia still have local train lines penciled in, lines that have been on the books since the 1950's but never have been built.

C

I've been told that the Udom Suk station had been finished for some time but a problem lies in the fact that the new trains (different from the ones currently in use) were not quite measured correctly to fit the tracks and had to be re-ordered. The station is complete, has guards patrolling, but nobody can use it. Typical.