Thai Gf To The Uk Visa

I have a Thai girlfriend, who I have been with for 8 months after meeting her during the summer. I have since been back to Thailand to visit her two times. It has now reached the point where it is impractical to keep doing this, both for emotional & financial reasons.

Having looked at the visa options for her, I have a few questions that I would be extremely grateful if those in the know could answer.

I'll give you the background first. She has no savings to speak of, no job, no property, but some land in the North of Thailand, worth about £4000-5000. There has been no recent activity in her bank account. She also has a son and family who live in the North, and she is currently living in Bangkok. We speak all day every day (work, sleep & friends permitting), have photos of each visit (including the first one), and hundreds of emails as proof of our relationship. I also have emails from Western Union showing that I have sent her money. When she comes, I would be able to get my parents to be her sponsor.

I realise that from the info above it appears that I am being taken for a mug, but all I can say is please do not judge.

The questions I have:

What would be the best visa for her to apply for?

The ones that I have narrowed it down to are; Visitor/Tourist or visiting friends, or an unmarried/Fiancée visa.

Obviously the Visitor one would be the best, but as they require the visitor to have strong ties to their country of origin (e.g. a job, or property), I'm not sure that she would meet their criteria. Perhaps her son and land she owns would be enough?

are the fiancée visa and unmarried partner visa the same thing? I understand that she has to meet this a1 English test, which I hope wouldn't be much of a problem, as she can hold a good conversation, only struggling when there are words used that she hasn't heard. What other requirements are there to gain this type of visa? also, how long does a fiancée visa last, and if it reaches the end and we were not married, can you then extend it, or renew it at a later date.

I guess what I really want to know, is what visa we should press on and apply for, and whether my concerns about her not meeting the requirements for the Tourist/Visitor visa are justified.

One final thing, after applying, how long is it likely to take to be approved, and once it is approved, can she travel here straight away?

I know there is a lot in there, so I really would appreciate any advice or answers that people could give me.

Rob

Ask yourself how does she live , no job no money. Tell her that you do not have any money to send , then see what happens.Sorry but We have See this a lot on this site. A holiday visa would be the easier one to get , it would take a short time, Maybe the best option for you. sorry for the frank answer.

The first bit of advice I can give you is do not worry about what anyone else thinks or says if you're happy then that's all that matters.All of us have thought about and /or done this so you are not a mug!

Now to get down to the nitty gritty.

My wife has got 4 visas in her passport so here we go..

1.. I suggest a visitor visa which if she is successful is valid for 6 months (although she may be asked to sign an undertaking to return after 3 months).

2, Build a folder of evidence, consisting of --

a- A letter from your parents inviting her , with this there must be info on the house she is staying in , i.e. how many bedrooms , and all other rooms.

b- A statement of fact from yourself, basically a letter stating where and when you met, how long you have known each other, where she works where you work ,

c- statements from the bank to prove that she will be financially OK while in the UK, I sponsored my wife ( obviously this was before we were married ) and brought with me 12 months worth of statements to prove I was financially sound, this could be done though by your parents although looks better if its your money.

d- copy of your passport

e- if you have come back to the UK alone then you will need proof of contact , in my case I took itemised phone bills with the number of her phone highlighted to prove contact. I noticed you said you have many emails, these a great as they will be dated, print them all off and put them in your folder( leave ut any racy ones though).

f- Photos of you together these always go down well.

3, If possible go with her to the embassy and let her take your passport with her, if your not in the country then obviously its a no no.

4 , Make sure she wears something reasonably conservative , I took my Mrs out and bought her a nice blouse , and some trousers for the first interview, she didn't like it as she thought it made her look old and boring but once back to the hotel she can change.

5, lucky for me my wife didn't have to meet any English speaking requirement but she did actually point out that the interpreter actually answered one of the questions with a different answer to what she had given.Not being of a shy persuasion she told the interviewer that the interpreter had told him the wrong answer, then she was told that they did not believe how and where we met , etc ,etc, to which she replied in English"ok if you don't believe me and say I cannot go then I cannot go , its not up to me it's up to you" I would not recommend this tactic but it worked as the guy looked at her , took her passport and said come back tomorrow afternoon and collect your visa. I suppose what I am saying is try and let your girlfriend know that they will intimidate her and she must not get emotional but remain calm.

There are maybe 1 or 2 other things to add but make sure you send her the folder with as mush info as possible, My folder was too thick to pass under the counter and had to be taken out of the fie, for the 2nd visa I took everything out of the folder and used those string binders. the more info you give them the more serious they will take your girlfriend application.

If she is successful then the visa will be issued within 2 days and will start from the day after she applies .

If she is asked to sign an undertaking to return then that will come into force from the day she arrives in the UK, if she doesn't come over till 4 months after issue and has an undertaking for 3 moths she must still leave on or before the visa runs out.

I looked into it and an undertaking to return letter is not legally binding but if not adhered to then she would never be allowed to return to the UK again., this is used as a measure of how trustworthy and honest she is.

On the 3 times I have been to the Bangkok UK embassy and have seen many girls turn up with a couple f scraps of paper only to be turned away before even getting an interview.

Good luck with everything ,take your time as I found preparation is everything .

Edited by mickj88

Very good post MickJ88.

But I think your information is a bit dated, Visa applications are now submitted at the VFS Global at Regents House, but I do not think they interview or question the applicants.

Quote: "The VFS UK visa application centre is officially authorised by the UK Border Agency to accept visa applications for all visa categories, collect visa application fees and return documents to applicants. In addition, the VFS UK visa application centre arranges interviews with the UK Border Agency at the British Embassy.

The UK visa application centre is run and managed by VFS (Thailand) Ltd. VFS staff cannot influence the outcome of your visa application. The decision to issue or refuse a visa is made by the UK Border Agency".

I believe that it is not normal to interview visitor visa applicants nowadays, (7by7 please correct me if I am wrong).

Edited by Basil B

Thanks Mick & Basil. I have spoken to a few people, and they have all said similar to you; just put as much preparation in as we can, and make it as easy as we can for the person who will be (hopefully) approving the visa. I think I'll have to rule out the fiancée one, as we have no interest in rushing marriage for the sake of her being able to stay in England.

Do you or anyone else think that she will struggle with the tourist visa due to her lack of job, savings & property? If so, are there any ways to combat this?

Edited by 6008735rd

My Mrs back then (2004) was out of work with no property or savings.

She had lost her job at a Korat shopping centre and was visiting her sister when we met she had been back in the village chopping sugar cane for a few months prior which does not come with wage slips and in fact had no wage slips from korat either.

As long as you can provide proof that you can support her then there should be no issue .

As pointed out things have changed a lot in the last 6 and half years but I would have thought that they would still look favourable on our girlfriend turning up with a nice big folder of information, if nothing else it proves that you are serious about the visa.

Maybe there is someone who's been through the visa system more recent .

There's a very good website called Thailand-uk forums that may be able to offer you more up to date info.Those guys were a great help to me back in the day.

Good luck with it all mate .

Just found one of 7by7's post from another topic which may be of use.

You and she need to satisfy three basic points.

1) She is a genuine visitor with a genuine reason to visit.

The reason to visit is to see and spend time with you. In your sponsor's letter write a brief history of your relationship to date, say why she is visiting at this time and outline what plans you may have for the future. Include evidence of the relationship, such as phone bills, e-mail headers and a copy of your passport to show how often you have visited her in Thailand.

2) Will she be adequately accommodated during the visit and are sufficient finances available to pay for her support during the visit without her working or claiming public funds.

Explain where she will be staying and that here will be at least one room for her use; shared with you or exclusively. Staying with you in property you own or rent is fine, as is staying with your family or friends, in which case they should write a brief letter of invitation. Whoever is providing the accomodation should provide evidence that they own the property, e.g. a mortgage statement, or if they rent then a landlord's letter giving her permission to stay there.

Finance for the visit can come from her, you, a third party or any combination of these. Whoever is providing finance should provide evidence of their ability to do so; the last 6 months bank statements are best.

3) Will she return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when or before her visa expires.

Does she work? If so a letter from her employer confirming she has leave of absence and that her job will be available to her on her return.

If she is a student, then similar from her university or college.

Does she own land? If yes, then proof of this.

The relationship with you is a strong factor here. If the Entry Clearance Officer is satisfied that it is a true and lasting relationship with a future then s/he will feel that she and you would not want to put that future in jeopardy by her overstaying a visit. See point 1) above.

Have a read of Visitors - visa application guide

For where and how to apply, visa fee etc., see Official UK visa application website in Thailand

The most common reason for for rejection is the "reason to return" I believe that if you can show a strong relationship that will go a long way as your girlfriend will not want to jeopardize her chances of making you relationship more permanent, also showing a good bond with her son and family will also indicate her reason to return.

As I understand there is no point scoring system, it is the just opinion of the ECO reading the application whether the application is accepted or rejected on their interruption of the guidelines.

I believe that it is not normal to interview visitor visa applicants nowadays, (7by7 please correct me if I am wrong).

You are not wrong. These days the Entry Clearance Officers try and make as many decisions as possible on the paperwork alone; for all types of application, not just visits. Very few applicants in Bangkok are now interviewed.

6008735rd,

Basil has given you the information for visit visas. To which I would add that the fee is currently £70, payable in Baht, currently 3500baht.

Fiance visas and unmarried partner visas are both types of settlement visa. Only apply for one if you and she intend to spend the rest of your lives together.

To qualify for an unmarried partners visa the two of you must have been living together outside the UK in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last two years. You haven't; you've only known her for 8 months. She wont get an unmarried partners visa.

A fiance visa is valid for 6 months. During that time the holder travels to the UK and marries their sponsor. If the marriage has not taken place when the visa expires then the holder must apply for an extension showing good reason why the marriage has not yet taken place and satisfactory evidence that it will do so in a reasonable time, or leave the UK. If you don't marry and she leaves and then later applies for another fiance visa she will need to explain why she didn't marry you this time.

Once the marriage has taken place, she would then apply for a 2 year extension known as Further Leave to Remain and at the end of that time she would apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

The current costs are:

Fiance visa: £750 (payable in Baht, currently 37500baht).

FLR: £500 if applying by post or £800 if applying in person for a same day decision.

ILR: £900 by post, £1250 in person.

(These are the current fees. They are, of course, subject to change as and when the government sees fit.)

For more details on Fiance visas, see SET1 Fiancé(e)s

Alternatively, you could marry in Thailand and she then applies as your spouse. A spouse visa is valid for 27 months, and once she has been in the UK for 24 months she can apply for ILR; thus eliminating the need for an FLR application and it's fee.

See SET3 Spouses.

Before applying for ILR she will need to satisfy the Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement.

Whether she applies as a fiance or as a spouse (or unmarried partner), she will need to satisfy the English language requirement before submitting the application and also have a TB test. Neither are required for a visit application.

The two of you will also need to show that you meet the Maintenance and accommodation requirements.

However, from what you have said I think that the two of you are not yet ready to make a lifelong commitment to each other. So a visit would be the one to go for.

As a point of interest (possibly), Basil said

As I understand there is no point scoring system, it is the just opinion of the ECO reading the application whether the application is accepted or rejected on their interruption of the guidelines.

There is a points based system for work and study visas; but not for visit and settlement. These applications are judged by the ECO on their merits, using the Immigration Rules and the official guidance. If the ECO feels that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant satisfies the criteria for the visa applied for then it will be issued.

To help them reach the right decision one should submit as much supporting documentation as possible. Never assume that something is obvious; it may be obvious to you but it wont be to the ECO! However, don't swamp them with a mountain of paperwork. Documentary proof that all the criteria are met, neatly filed and referenced in one's sponsor's letter is the best way.

7by7, Mick and Basil; again, thanks for your replies. It is a relief to hear that a lack of a job should hopefully not hamper the application, and that they will take into consideration that she would not want to jepordise her chances of gaining another visa in the future, and therefore obeying the conditions of the visa. You are right in saying that we are not yet ready to get married, for many reasons including seeing whether she would actually want to live here. Ideally I would go there, but obviously work is an issue! You've now given me the motivation and reassurance that I was hoping for to go ahead and start the application, without the fear that I might be wasting my time due to her lack of employment/property etc.

Thanks,

Rob

Would any of you be able to offer advice as to which would be the better box to tick on the form; tourist visa, or visit friend(s)? Or doesn't it make a difference?

Also, would I be shooting ourselves in our feet if I asked for a 1 year visa, instead of a 6 month one?

Thanks for the wishes by the way Razzell.

Edited by 6008735rd

As I assume you will be sponsoring her and she probably will go to great lengths to prove your relationship with her it would be very unusual if the primary purpose of the visit is to see you, so I would tick "Visit Friends".

It is highly unlikely she will get a one year visa straight off, also even with a one year visa she still could not spend more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK, but the visa holder can come and go as many times as they wish during the life of the visa as long as they leave before it expires and do not exceed more than 6 months in any 12 in the UK.

I think it was in the guide lines of the Irish Immigration people that suggest only after issuing 2 six month visas will they issue longer duration visas.

Edited by Basil B

To the OP, this is only my advice, and my opinion, but I do consider that the lack of need to return being a problem for you. It is obvious to you (and me in my circumstances) to say that "I don't want my partner to jeopardize future visa applications, so I would make sure that doesn't happen", but the embassy don't take your good morals and ethics into the equation. Nor do they take hers. The fact she has a child and land here is really, less of a reason for her to return because (simply stated) once she gets to the UK she can work (illegally) and send many monies home to her family to help raise the child. It IS the norm here for grandparents to raise children, and so that is not seen as a "need to return", nor is the land since that can be run/controlled by the family.

Not to be a doom sayer, but you need to work on that need to return. Embassies do take into consideration her social status (low), income, joblessness, has child, has family commitments (her family, do they work, are they financially secure without her?)

I'm Aussie, so speaking from my experiences with the Aussie embassy, but they will never issue 12 months off the bat. One of the ideas behind the short visa first is to see if she adheres to the conditions (ie leaving on time and not becoming an illegal). That alone will make her second applications more streamlined, but only if it isn't put in immediately on her return and long term at that. For us, it's the norm that visa #1 you start with a 3 month single entry. Visa #2 either another short time (3 or 6 month - single or multi entry), but after that 12 month multi entry is likely, even as the second visa sometimes (just not our case)... So don't shoot yourself in the foot, go the short time, and maybe come back to Thailand yourself after (or with her when) she returns for a few weeks.

Good luck with everything and I wish you the best!!

Madivad, I can't speak for Australia, but the UK do take the strength of the relationship between sponsor and applicant into account when assessing the genuineness of the application and the likelihood of the applicant leaving the UK at the end of the visit. Many UK members here can testify that they have obtained a UK visit visa for their Thai girl/boyfriend when there has been no concrete reason to return.

However, like Australia, it is unlikely that a first time applicant would be issued with a 1 year (or longer) visit visa. Even if they were, they would still only be allowed to stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months per visit and usually no more than 6 months out of any 12 (except for certain special cases; social visits and tourism not being one).

• 2 weeks later...

How to apply says

You should provide translations of any supporting documents that are not in English to ensure your visa application is considered fully..............

However, anecdotal evidence suggests that translations of official documents, birth, marriage certificates etc., are not necessary.

Thanks 7by7. One more thing; will it benefit the application, or is it a necessity for her to have some money in her bank account? I have been told by her (who was told by Thai friends) and an English friend (who got a marriage visa about 4 years ago) that an amount of around 30000 baht is good to have. He also said that you can go to some banks, and they will hide the deposit on the statements to make it appear that it has been in the account for a while. I'm not convinced this is necessary to do. Have any of you got any ideas?

Thanks again.

Thanks 7by7. One more thing; will it benefit the application, or is it a necessity for her to have some money in her bank account? I have been told by her (who was told by Thai friends) and an English friend (who got a marriage visa about 4 years ago) that an amount of around 30000 baht is good to have. He also said that you can go to some banks, and they will hide the deposit on the statements to make it appear that it has been in the account for a while. I'm not convinced this is necessary to do. Have any of you got any ideas?

You are right, it's not necessary to oodles of money in her bank account, and trying to get a bank to hide a deposit could be dangerous, they will look at the balances for a few months and soon spot what was being done. That said having a few Baht passing through her account wouldn't do any harm.

She should just submit a genuine application and not try to fudge the evidence.

Edited by theoldgit

Th anks 7by7. One more thing; will it benefit the application, or is it a necessity for her to have some money in her bank account? I have been told by her (who was told by Thai friends) and an English friend (who got a marriage visa about 4 years ago) that an amount of around 30000 baht is good to have. He also said that you can go to some banks, and they will hide the deposit on the statements to make it appear that it has been in the account for a while. I'm not convinced this is necessary to do. Have any of you got any ideas?

You are right, it's not necessary to oodles of money in her bank account, and trying to get a bank to hide a deposit could be dangerous, they will look at the balances for a few months and soon spot what was being done. That said having a few Baht passing through her account wouldn't do any harm.

She should just submit a genuine application and not try to fudge the evidence.

Cheers. I thought it was a bit dodgy to try and hide it. Do you think it would be wirht putting some money in to her account, bearing in mind she's got loads of Western Union receipts anyway?

I personally wouldn't put one satang in. All the ECO will want convincing of is that the trip is reasonable and affordable and that she will probably return.

Your parents are going to pay for the trip, so hopefully that's ok, she just needs to convince them that she will return.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, me again.

I am back after an unsuccessful attempt at the tourist visa. It was rejected for a few reasons, the main one being her lack of property in Thailand, and them saying that she didn't have sufficient reason for returning to Thailand. I can't tell you how infuriating this is, but I'm sure a few of you have been through the same thing, so are already aware. I obviously haven't got £10000 to throw at an apartment, and having been back to Thailand since I was last on here, we have decided to get married next time I go (the end of this month). Iit's what we both want, but having only been together for a year, it is more soon than we would have wanted. Oh well.

With a spouse visa, is the main thing they are looking for is that I can provide adequate financial support? If so, how much would I have to have in savings to satisfy this need? Have you any info on the 'test' that she'll have to pass, too?

Same as last time, any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi guys, me again.

I am back after an unsuccessful attempt at the tourist visa. It was rejected for a few reasons, the main one being her lack of property in Thailand, and them saying that she didn't have sufficient reason for returning to Thailand. I can't tell you how infuriating this is, but I'm sure a few of you have been through the same thing, so are already aware. I obviously haven't got £10000 to throw at an apartment, and having been back to Thailand since I was last on here, we have decided to get married next time I go (the end of this month). Iit's what we both want, but having only been together for a year, it is more soon than we would have wanted. Oh well.

Please answer me a question?

In days how much time have you two spent together. ie how many days have u spent with her?

With a spouse visa, is the main thing they are looking for is that I can provide adequate financial support? If so, how much would I have to have in savings to satisfy this need? Have you any info on the 'test' that she'll have to pass, too?

Same as last time, any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by seaneee

about 65 in person. I've been there once every three months for 2 and a half to three weeks, plus at least 3 hours average (usually many more) per day using a webcam. Not the real thing, I know, but as good as it can be considering the circumstances.

interesting you say her lack of property was the reason, when initially you said she has land worth 4000 pounds.

Unfortunately the days of taking gf's home are over unless your relationship is rock solid and she has a REAL job etc. which would be a good rerason for her to return!!

I was refused a visitor visa for my WIFE for very shaky reasons which i got overturned at tribunal.

My advice is to have along think about your future together. If you believe she is the one for you,

then next time you come to Thailand, get married. Then you can apply for a family visit visa or a settlement one,

and if that is refused then you can appeal to tribunal and they overturn them more often than not for genuine people.

We didn't include that info about her land in the application, as it is more set to be inherited by her, so not actually in her name yet. Good to hear you got there in the end. Did you have substantial savings and own your own house etc?

IMHO

I would address the reasons for refusal and apply for another visit visa first and spend some more time together.

You'll be in for a whole heap of pain, not to say expense, if you get married and then get refused.

RAZZ

IMHO

I would address the reasons for refusal and apply for another visit visa first and spend some more time together.

You'll be in for a whole heap of pain, not to say expense, if you get married and then get refused.

RAZZ

Razz, I just don't see any way around convincing them that she is going to go back though. am I right in thinking that other than proving it is a genuine marriage (which I am not worried about at all), it's just a question of proving that I can fund it?

There are always ways of beating the system. I know of at least one girl who, err, who "wasn't the cream of Thai Society" as you might say, who got a V/V to the UK.

After all, 90% of all visas to the UK are approved. I wouldn't give up so easy...

And obviously with a settlement visa you don't need to prove "reason to return". Did the ECO accept that you had an "ongoing and subsisting relationship"?

Can you post the refusal?

RAZZ

The decision to get married is not all due to giving up on the visitors visa to be honest. I've known the girl for long enough to know that I want to be with her, and had enough previous experience with other Thai girls to know that this one is not full of brown stuff like all of the others I met were. You'll just have to take my word for it, unless you are in Bangkok from the 18th of June - 2nd of July, and fancy a beer?! ;-)

The thing is, is that I don't want to risk playing the system and getting caught, and jepordising any future chances of getting a visa of any sort.