First Non-o Renewal, Work Permit Question

Hi folks,

My first 90 day period is up at the end of December, and my Thai wife and I are going to Bangkok from Phitsanulok to get a stamp on my Non-Immigrant non-o Visa, which was stamped for one year in the States (but of course for only 90 days at the airport) on Oct 1.

I've been promised a job starting in January at a University.

My question is, should I attempt to get a work permit now or wait till later - i.e, after getting the Visa extension?

What specific documents do I need (as may vary from other links here) for my paticular case? I found the information related to getting a working permit, etc., a bit confusing since I already have a non-o.

If you have been through a similar experience, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Upcountry

ps - from U.S., 47 years

Hi -

Renew your Class O entry permit first, on the basis of supporting a wife, and having required funds in Thai bank account. Then go get the work permit.

Work permits are only issued with validity up to the expiration date of your current entry permit. So you want to wait until the long-term entry permit is issued before you apply for the work permit.

Typically, these days, the renewal process at bangkok Immigration for one-year non-immigrant entry permits takes serveral sequences of 30 day extensions. I'm not sure what approval delay you will experience - but be prepared to make several appearances, at 30 day intervals.

Or - you can hire a company such as mine to run the renewal sequences for you (they do not require you to be personally present, except at time of initial application) - but the bad news is that your passport does have to go in each time for the successive 30 day extension stamps.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam Group

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com