• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. From Police Order 777/2551.

2.24 In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission

will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time.

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto.

thanks guys,,,

i didnt need to ask steve answered it in the 2nd post on page one,, although thats was alot of stuff ago LOL DOH!

thankyou guys for all the help, living in thailand will be easy with my wonderful woman and Thaivisa.com

my visa says employment prohibited, does this mean i should not bother looking and does the same rule apply for the voluntary sector ?

Easy to open Thai bank account on Tourist visa at Kasikorn, but when you get your O visa....Bangkok bank has a London branch so you can transfer your money from UK bank to Bkk Bank London and they will transfer if to your Thailand branch, this cuts the international charges in half!

also getting married in LOS, you need an "affirmation of marriage" from British embassy, fill it in and then get a Thai translation done, there's lots of translation offices nearby, I got asked if I needed the service as I left the Embassy, back to the Embassy and get the Consulate to sign and stamp it, then you need to take it to the Ministry of Interior (about 40 mins drive on the motorway) and get it legalised, when you get there pay extra for the fast service or you'll be there all day, hand in your documents and wait to be called into the office, then sit and wait for them to be legalized, Then off to the local Lumphar office with your Passport and visa (I got married on tourist visa), affirmation, wifes ID card and blue book for house, must have her name on it! In ten minutes your married, no ceremony just forms to fill in, your wife will also get issued with a "change of name certificate" so she can get a new ID card/passport, and you both get a copy of the marriage certificate, it comes form a large book, each certificate is in 2 identical halfs stamped at the join, you get half each!

my Buddhist wedding was the next day......got married twice in 2 days..lol

Why don't you sign up for 120 hr Thai language course which entitles you to a 1 yr education visa. Still have to do border runs though!:(

He said he wants to work - I believe you can not get a WP on an Ed Visa. His present Tourist Visa laso does not allow a WP, but his extension due to marriage (which will include a convertion to a non-im 'o' visa) will allow him/his employer to apply for a WP once he finds a legitimate job or business.

:rolleyes:Thanks spoon thats great info and even now I still find it strangely reassuring

to hear accounts of others who have already been down the path I am on

I'm not panicing honest gov lmao :D

Wolf are you saying my employment prohibited on the visa means I can't get a Wp at the moment?:blink:

:Thaiflag: again thanks to everyone

You can apply for a Work Permit with a Tourist Visa but it will not be issued until you have the appropriate Visa/Extension of stay.

1. Good luck.

BUT

2. Do not break up all your connections in the UK. May you have to go back to work to the UK from time to time!

3. Your money will may last 2 years, if you don't have any other income.

4. Stay first for may 1 year in Thailand, learn thai, look around, before you start a small business (as told, 40k Pound will not last long and you never can have your own compagnie!)

5. Do not forgeth to make a good insurance ( may health and for a later pension .....)

6. ... and a lot more

Since Thailand is so obviously short of skilled electricians (of the domestic variety at least) is there anything to stop him setting up a Thai company and employing a few locals to train in addition to working himself? Does such work have some kind of reserved status that stops that? Obviously not a runner until he is fluent Thai speaking, so maybe 2 or 3 years down the track in implementation but at that age he has a long life to plan for!

Since Thailand is so obviously short of skilled electricians (of the domestic variety at least) is there anything to stop him setting up a Thai company and employing a few locals to train in addition to working himself? Does such work have some kind of reserved status that stops that? Obviously not a runner until he is fluent Thai speaking, so maybe 2 or 3 years down the track in implementation but at that age he has a long life to plan for!

I think this is one of the professions aliens are not allowed to work in, then Thais can do this work too.:lol:

You do need a compagie with 2 million (?) capital and at least 4 thaiworkers for every alien. ...

• 2 weeks later...

hi, me again, a quick check with regards the first line in my affirmation,,

the first line goes like this :-

I Joe William Bloggs holder of British passport No 00000000 issued at UKPA on

01/01/2001 expiring on 01/01/2010 do solemnly and sincerely affirm that:

passport number abviously, and Im quite sure that the UKPA part should read IPS since

it says IPS under authority on my passport and this is the abbreviation for the IDENTITY AND PASSPRT SERVICE,,,

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/ips/

have I understood this correct? UKPA or IPS?

:coffee1:

Suspect it should read the location where passport issued. UKPA I would suspect means the U.K. Passport Authority location that issued the passport should be placed there. Suspect passports that were issued by Embassies have there location as issuing and that would be what you would enter.

Suspect it should read the location where passport issued. UKPA I would suspect means the U.K. Passport Authority location that issued the passport should be placed there. Suspect passports that were issued by Embassies have there location as issuing and that would be what you would enter.

everyone or at least everyone as far as im aware or if not 95% of people in the uk do everything by post, applying for passport etc, its one central place / office i am not aware of diferent authorities or offices for different parts of the UK...

im failry sure im right it says on the passport Authority then IPS below it, i was just curious to make sure, as i really need to get it right first time due to my schedule and my fiancee getting time of work, maybe someone from uk who has done it already recently can help, or i could make a copy of both options and let them decide at the embassy which one they want

ah ha lol

ty for your time lopburi3, have a great week cheers

** I#m confident its IPS now :)

Edited by lumphini07

hi, me again, a quick check with regards the first line in my affirmation,,

the first line goes like this :-

I Joe William Bloggs holder of British passport No 00000000 issued at UKPA on

01/01/2001 expiring on 01/01/2010 do solemnly and sincerely affirm that:

passport number abviously, and Im quite sure that the UKPA part should read IPS since

it says IPS under authority on my passport and this is the abbreviation for the IDENTITY AND PASSPRT SERVICE,,,

http://www.homeoffic...lic-bodies/ips/

have I understood this correct? UKPA or IPS?

:coffee1:

Would have been UKPA but I think the issuing authority has changed if yours say IPS then thats what it is...and dont sign and date the Affirmation until told by the consulate (you have to do in front of them)

Edited by Tafia

In the US we did have separate passport offices as have one issued by Miami and also have several issued by Embassies but agree it should be what is printed under the issuing authority in actual passport. For the US that is now United States Department of State. Believe country should be indicated as the "at" clearly indicates a location response. I would probably put UK IPS on a Thai request but for Embassy you will have to do what they say I suspect. If there has been a recent change you might want to alert them as they might be able to amend the sample.

yeh i am sure its IPS now, but theres no harm in taken a copy of each option, I will post what happens,,,,

thanks for all your replies and helpfulness everyone,, not long now and I will be helping people on here not just asking asking asking :)

a question about the money?,, Maprao suggests putting the required 40,000bht into a thai account and leaving the rest in my uk account, is there a specific reason for this, is there a reason why I wouldnt transfer all of it to thailand ?

I hate ATm charges per withdrawl lol

1) you may have to Travel outside of Thailand and it is good idea to have some money /credit card stashed to make some purchases in "local" currency. I know that with my debit card if I make purchase from non-USD merchant, I must pay 1% foreign transaction fee. Plus, you never know when or why you may need to go back home.

2) Good chance that you will go to a central or Big C/Tesco in Bkk? There should be an AEON atm somewhere inside. Best exchange rate and you can pull out up to 40,000 baht per transaction with NO 150 baht atm fee.

3) You can use Bangkok Banks ACH/EFT feature. It's usually cheaper to send direct to thailand for smaller amounts and takes 2-4 business days. I understand that Kasikorn bank may also have this feature?

4) the advice of setting up internet banking from home banks BEFORE you come here is excellent. Having a overseas-friendly bank helps tremendously.

An non-ED visa may be your best bet. Whenever possible, go for some type of non-imm visa vs tourist visa.

Edited by 4evermaat

AFFIRMATION UPDATE,

ok so i was outside just messaging the mrs that i will be out of contact as im about to go in to the embassey and they take ur phone away at security and another brit farang comes out and says to his thai gf "ok i got it affirmed lets go and get it translated", this was at 9:30, which i thought odd as you have to go back and get it at collection time in the afternoon but it sounded promising and sure enough i got inside the consular building and handed my baht and my affirmation over and the lady behind the counter said if i dont mind taking a seat for 30 mins then I can wait for it and don't have to go wondering around for a few hours and getting thought security again. Sure enough 30 mins later i got called up we both did the signing and she did some stamping and i was in and out within 45 mins.

for UKPA (Authority) I put IPS which was correct even though it is probably obvious now as it is on your passport, and since I am unemployed for a while, for earnings i just put ....

f) I am an Electrician/Electronic Engineer by profession and I have £xx,xxx in the bank with which to support my Thai wife.

Can't really help with translation and with the certification and authorisation of the affirmation yet as my wonderful lady knows of a company who do it all in a day for a few hundred baht they translate it and go of and get it certified and give it back to u all done but i will post the info as soon as I get it out of her with the cricket bat, no with hugs i meant hugs ...

:thumbsup::coffee1::clap2::signthaivisa:

a question about the money?,, Maprao suggests putting the required 40,000bht into a thai account and leaving the rest in my uk account, is there a specific reason for this, is there a reason why I wouldnt transfer all of it to thailand ?

I hate ATm charges per withdrawl lol

1) you may have to Travel outside of Thailand and it is good idea to have some money /credit card stashed to make some purchases in "local" currency. I know that with my debit card if I make purchase from non-USD merchant, I must pay 1% foreign transaction fee. Plus, you never know when or why you may need to go back home.

2) Good chance that you will go to a central or Big C/Tesco in Bkk? There should be an AEON atm somewhere inside. Best exchange rate and you can pull out up to 40,000 baht per transaction with NO 150 baht atm fee.

3) You can use Bangkok Banks ACH/EFT feature. It's usually cheaper to send direct to thailand for smaller amounts and takes 2-4 business days. I understand that Kasikorn bank may also have this feature?

4) the advice of setting up internet banking from home banks BEFORE you come here is excellent. Having a overseas-friendly bank helps tremendously.

An non-ED visa may be your best bet. Whenever possible, go for some type of non-imm visa vs tourist visa.

sorry 4evermaat i missed your post, thankyou very much for your advice and knowledge

Edited by lumphini07

Affirmation translation and certification update

ok turns out that if you want a company to take your translation to the ministry of foreign affairs it will take tem a few days to a week and having done it myself now i see why. so my fiancee decided to translate it herself and e set of at 7am, 10km and 2 hours later we arrived at 9am paid a bit extra for express, wait an hour handed in the translation, waited another hour and got called up to be shown 4 highlighted words with the words above the officer wanted highlighted, so i took it to the book store next to 7/11 at the bottom f the escalator thinking its simple re-write and change the 4 words to the ones the officer asked for. the shop charged 400 baht took 2 hours and when i got back to the shop at 2pm to pick it up they were asking me how to pronounce certain words to finish it of, which i thought was odd since i just wanted it copied and edited for officer requests, anyway, i took it away and just knew i was starting again and very grumpy, even though aparently a professional translator works this way.

I called my fiancee and she rushed to my aid and took me into the supervsiors room and borrowed a computer and printer and did the painfully obvious thing of rewriting the checked copy with the corrections the officer requested and we were back out the supervisor room and handing it into the officer.

a few hours later we were called up and received our certified translation - a long day!

thing to know here is there is a set of double doors on the left as u sit looking at the counter, you can just go in this room and talk to officers, have things checked ask questions, use the computers..

OH AND YES I HAD MY AFFIRMATION ON USB STICK, I ACTUALLY HAD MY LAPTOP WITH ME TOO BUT ONLY NEEED THE STICK AND FILE,, VERY GOOD ADVICE IF U GET SOMEONE TO TRANSLATE FOR YOU ASK FOR A WORD DOC COPY ON A MEMORY STICK.

question about TM7 APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM

reasons for extensions:

am i stating here that i want to to continue to tour the kindgom or am i stating i want to support my thai wife at this point, the money in the bank is a few weeks away from being in there for 2 months

i'm now married at this point

thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Do you already have a non immigrant visa entry? If not you must obtain that first for 2,000 baht and then the TM.7 extension of stay for "Thai wife" application would be submitted during the last 30 days of stay with proof of money in account 2 months. You request extension for 365 days and reason is Thai wife.

Do you already have a non immigrant visa entry? If not you must obtain that first for 2,000 baht and then the TM.7 extension of stay for "Thai wife" application would be submitted during the last 30 days of stay with proof of money in account 2 months. You request extension for 365 days and reason is Thai wife.

Hi Lop again, thanks for getting back to me, i am still on my tourist visa, just got married, going for the extension.

As said first step is a non immigrant visa entry. You can do that at Immigration as a change or go to a Consulate to obtain using marriage certificate/copy of wife id and home register. Only after having that non immigrant entry can you extend your stay.

As said first step is a non immigrant visa entry. You can do that at Immigration as a change or go to a Consulate to obtain using marriage certificate/copy of wife id and home register. Only after having that non immigrant entry can you extend your stay.

i thought i can not apply for non imm until the 400k has reached its 2 months procurment, i was under impression to extend tourist visa 30 days this would allow 400k to reach its 2 months then i can go and apply for my non o and annaul extensions for supporting thai wife.

should i be going to immigration and asking for a non imm now?