Broken Leg

One of my gf friend has an old Golden retriever, 11 years old.

The poor dog broke his leg, the vet (in Thailand) told her that at this age the leg cannot be fixed, it won't healed. The only option is to cut the leg.

Please, no outraged comments about vets in Thailand, I just need practical medical advice.

Edited by JurgenG

I'm not so sure about that. Suggest you pm Mangotogo or Bina, or your gf's friend goes for a second opinion. She can always call the universities (Mahidol, kasetsart, Chula) first for advice.

depends on the break of course: a complex break needing pins and surgery is one thing; a simple break, well, it will heal but may not be perfect; and of course, the health of the dog i.e. overweight, other health issues, hip dysplasia etc...

on the other hand, most dogs do well with three legs, depenign which leg and , again, the health of the dog and also the living arrangement (in door, outdoor, has to run with a lot of other dogs, fenced in, etc....)... amputation might be the faster and cheaper solution as long as the dog gets good after care and is helped in the beginning, dogs adjust fairly rapidly to physical changes in their bodies (they dont look in the mirror to see whats missing)... so might be the solution if the other solution is several surgeries....how did it break the leg?

we've had goats and dogs with three legs; horses do less well...

bina

but ask mangotogo, and maybe u have the xray and can send email to other vet for additional opinion... and also, how much money and time u want to invest...

That seems to be a common answer to broken legs here. I find it really odd. I'd go to either Thonglor or one of the university hospitals and insist you prefer the operation. As others have said, they might be recommending amputation because it's just quicker and more straightforward.

That seems to be a common answer to broken legs here. I find it really odd. I'd go to either Thonglor or one of the university hospitals and insist you prefer the operation. As others have said, they might be recommending amputation because it's just quicker and more straightforward.

because it's just quicker and more straightforward.

exactly. its not odd; its old fashioned and doesnt seem politically correct to those of us from anglo/european wealthier countries where our pets are practically our kids (nothing wrong with that, but its a luxury, not a neccessity).

old fashioned because people in many countries used to not spend money on their animals more then the general meds and some vaccines. anything else is considered a luxury. that is slightly different then the attitude in the west . but that is also equated with wealth. as more middle class thais have pets, i suspect the mentality of the vets will change as well since the public will be willing to invest more money in 'luxury' treatments for their pets. the same reason why horses used to be put down as useless when a leg was broken. i recieved a full blood arab stallion (later stolen from me, poor thing, probably died soon after)as a pet because he broke a leg, was healed, but he couldnt be ridden, and couldnt be used as a stud since he couldnt raise himself up on to a mare with the leg. he had to receive the horse equivalent of advil (NSAID called BUTE)and could have undergone surgery to help the leg. his owners did not have the funds for one of the few horse surgeons here, but refused to put the horse down, so he became a pet. a dog would not be as problmatic either way.

bina

israel

'

Our local "vet" is not able to do anything other than administer antibiotic shots for all pet related aliments, including a broken leg in one of our relative's dogs.

Some hospitals will be better than others - Khon Kaen University Animal Hospital has been good in my experience.

If there is limited pet care available it might be better that they do what they can do with skill and experience than what a more experienced practice might consider achievable.