Is Phuket Really Ready For The Russians

terak69

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will only post Phuket prices, and ask where in prime location it is less expensive

Bangla road, Kangaroo bar and some others, all beer 70 baht, all drinks/cocktails 120 baht all day and night. A litre of Smirnoff with free ice and mixers 2000 baht

Timberhut Nightclub, live music every night, Jonny Walker Red Label large bottle, bucket of ice and 2 mixers, 1.025 baht

But Soi Eric and Sea Dragon in Bangla charge over 100 baht for a small Singha and a whopping 180-200 baht a lady drink...and that was in November so may be more expensive now..

This is kinda funny...I was just at KFC and a group of Russian were at the counter arguing with staff about everything from too much ice, to too small a portions, making everyone wait. It was odd because 2 days ago in Krabi the EXACT same thing happened at Burger King. (Yes, I know my diet sucks)

One of my jobs puts me in contact with a lot of small pharmacy and minimart owners throughout the south of Thailand. They are all saying the same thing. This shift from "Eurozone" travelers to Russians and Chinese has seen a huge change in the average spending behavior of tourists in general. More package type travelers that go beach-hotel-beach and eat 30B som tam and khao pad ghai instead of a nice. I have noticed at the beaches this year a whole lot more people sitting on the sand instead of renting a lounger.

To be fair, I will add that the worst public behavior I have ever seen exhibited by a (sober) farang in Thailand was an American who stood in the lobby of Kata Beach Resort shouting at a poor young Thai hostess about not being able to iron his shirts or something. With traveling Americans I have noticed two basic types. Those that "get it" are usually young and educated and look at the world with wide eyes, enjoy travel and are respectful where ever they are, and those that are a bit arrogant, ignorant, national-centric, and believe non-Americans are below them, and see everything outside of America as merely "not American". I have met many of both types.

I fail to see it compulsory for people of specific nationalities (you mention Russian and Chinese)SHOULD (along with 'backpacker types) SHOULD pay for crap food in pseudo Thai/farang restaurants, or that they be made to pay 100 baht for a bloody deckchair.

This is kinda funny...I was just at KFC and a group of Russian were at the counter arguing with staff about everything from too much ice, to too small a portions, making everyone wait. It was odd because 2 days ago in Krabi the EXACT same thing happened at Burger King. (Yes, I know my diet sucks)

One of my jobs puts me in contact with a lot of small pharmacy and minimart owners throughout the south of Thailand. They are all saying the same thing. This shift from "Eurozone" travelers to Russians and Chinese has seen a huge change in the average spending behavior of tourists in general. More package type travelers that go beach-hotel-beach and eat 30B som tam and khao pad ghai instead of a nice restaurant. I have noticed at the beaches this year a whole lot more people sitting on the sand instead of renting a lounger.

To be fair, I will add that the worst public behavior I have ever seen exhibited by a (sober) farang in Thailand was an American who stood in the lobby of Kata Beach Resort shouting at a poor young Thai hostess about not being able to iron his shirts or something. With traveling Americans I have noticed two basic types. Those that "get it" are usually young and educated and look at the world with wide eyes, enjoy travel and are respectful where ever they are, and those that are a bit arrogant, ignorant, national-centric, and believe non-Americans are below them, and see everything outside of America as merely "not American". I have met many of both types.

I fail to see it compulsory for people of specific nationalities (you mention Russian and Chinese)SHOULD (along with 'backpacker types) SHOULD pay for crap food in pseudo Thai/farang restaurants, or that they be made to pay 100 baht for a bloody deckchair.

Umm..where did anyone even insinuate something was compulsory? I agree with you. My comment, and most comments in this thread, are not intended to proselytize what should be, only what is.

I will only post Phuket prices, and ask where in prime location it is less expensive

Bangla road, Kangaroo bar and some others, all beer 70 baht, all drinks/cocktails 120 baht all day and night. A litre of Smirnoff with free ice and mixers 2000 baht

Timberhut Nightclub, live music every night, Jonny Walker Red Label large bottle, bucket of ice and 2 mixers, 1.025 baht

But Soi Eric and Sea Dragon in Bangla charge over 100 baht for a small Singha and a whopping 180-200 baht a lady drink...and that was in November so may be more expensive now..

Different bars, different prices. Choise is yours. In my opinion Soi bars should be less expensive than Bangla walking street, but the opposit is the fact

One of my jobs puts me in contact with a lot of small pharmacy and minimart owners throughout the south of Thailand. They are all saying the same thing. This shift from "Eurozone" travelers to Russians and Chinese has seen a huge change in the average spending behavior of tourists in general. More package type travelers that go beach-hotel-beach and eat 30B som tam and khao pad ghai instead of a nice restaurant. I have noticed at the beaches this year a whole lot more people sitting on the sand instead of renting a lounger.

Umm..where did anyone even insinuate something was compulsory? I agree with you. My comment, and most comments in this thread, are not intended to proselytize what should be, only what is.

Topic: Is Phuket ready for the Russians

Phuket does not really need tourists spending close to no money here. Whats the point of increased arrivals and less spending? and if the less spending arrivals in addition are bully and troublesome :rolleyes:

That they are all saying the same thing doesn't make it true - imho this is likely more mere whingeing about cheap tourists rather than the pharmacies / stores recognising their own inefficiencies and proliferation in a changing market.

I also don't buy the view espoused by other posters that Russians and Chinese are cheap.

I could equally suggest experiences of deadbeat euro retirees etc but wouldn't extrapolate that to a general truth accross the board.

IMHO Russians and Chinese overall spend far more on average (though it is skewed - huge spenders and low but less middling visitors including low rent visa runners who think their dollar, pounds and euros amount to more than a small hill of beans)

I dont go to the beach 8-5 in daytime, but I have friends and tenants who do. They all say the Russians are loud, bully and do not spend any money on the beach. They go to 7eleven to buy their water, beer, vodka and food, and then go back to the beach.

I know some beach chair vendors are discussing to have Russian prices for sunchairs ;)

Could it be possible that one day the Patong Beach Mafia decide to impose a "beach towel fee?" So, because you can't afford one of their sun chairs, and decide to lay on the sand, where ever you put down your beach towel to lay on it, there will be a fee for doing so. :) In true Thai style, we get sun chair money from the rich, and beach towel fee from the poor. We just get more money. No need to lower cost of sun chair. :)

You are right Katabeachbum. In years gone by, 7/11. Carrefour, Big C etc only had expats and locals in there buying food, alcohol etc. Now, you see tourist on holidays in there buying supplies and they are not all Russians. I have noticed a lot more "balcony parties" in recent months.

The island is getting ridiculously expensive - no doubt about it. I used to go to the nightclubs all the time, now, I have to watch my expenditure, and I am on the Aussie dollar which was not hit so hard by the GFC.

In my opinion, in the short term, tourist will stll keep coming here, but will do everything possible to minimise expenses, as can be seen by your example. This will make life very tough for small businesses.

In the long term, tourist numbers will decline for Phuket as tourist realise, for example, a cold beer bought ON THE BEACH in Vietnam is the same cost as a beer bought in a 7/11 in Thailand, if not cheaper. So, for the same money spent, they gain more luxury and comfort and therefore a more satisfying holiday experience, in a neighbouring country. Then, they go home and discuss with their friends what money can buy in Thailand, as compared to what money can buy in, for example, Vietnam. It all equals toursit numbers up, next door, and toursit numbers down on Phuket.

Having said that, I was in Pattaya recently and the place was rammed with tourist, especially Russians. I've been to Pattaya many times, but, on this occassion, did notice a big disparity in prices, for everything. Drinks, food, accommodation - everything was considerably cheaper. So, it is possible, tourst will still come to Thailand, but chose a cheaper place within the country. If this is the case, they very well might frequest bars, cafes, restaurants, nightclubs etc as it is more affordable for them.

As I also mentioned in another thread, Thai landlords are pricing Phuket out of the market because the high costs of leasing their bars, guest houses etc has to be passed on to the consumer (tourist). That means, beer, food, accommodation etc are all more expensive on Phuket than elsewhere.

No doubt, someone will post a statistic stating tourist numbers coming to Phuket have been bigger than ever, BUT, my point, and that of some other posts, is that the tourist coming, are not spending within the local economy. Some of that could be cultural Eg. in general, muslims do not drink. Some of it could be afforability Eg. beer in 7/11 is 40 baht as compared to 80 or 90 baht in bars and even more in nightclubs.

2 points NKM...I really like your post, but Pattaya is less than 20minutes from Laem Chabang port....it makes things a lot cheaper....allthough I agree with you whole heartedly that Phuket needs to drop the prices. Another thing the GFC did hit the Aussie dollar...you remember when it was 20 baht to the AUS $$$? that hurt rolleyes.gif

Those are fair prices. I would have no problem paying that. However, many small bars have San Mig Lite and Heineken at 80 baht. The big place across the street from Kangaroo Bar and of the same theme (I'm sure you know the one - not allowed to name and shame) is 90 baht a Heineken. I drink there a bit, but, the fact is, if Kangaroo Bar is 70 baht a Heineken - they are about 25% dearer than Kangaroo Bar and over 100% dearer than a 7/11.

Most of the bars in downstairs Tiger are the same. I also note it's 500 baht "bar fine" in most of those bars now.

80 baht is close to the price of a draught beer in a suburban pub in Australia and that pub has massive overheads. Eg. award wages, liability insurance, security, licencing, workcover premiums, health inspections etc etc etc etc.

I don't see a lot of rich farang bar owners in Phuket, despite charging similar prices you pay in the west and having nowhere near the overheads as, say, a pub in Australia. The staff are on around 6000 baht a month and insurance etc is non existent. There is some "tea money" to pay in Thailand that may not have to be paid in the west, but generally speaking, overheads are lower here.

So, who is making all the money and causing the high prices we have on Phuket???????? As I have said before, I believe it's the Thai landlords and they are effecting tourism on Phuket.

Good post...i have said exactly the same thing before and the geniuses on here say "go back to Australia then" no i wont because i like Phuket and there are a still some bargains to be had. (And its great funsmile.gif). i go to Japan regularly for work and have done for the last 3-4 years. Aside from its reputation as being an expensive country....A lot of things in Phuket are not much cheaper than Japan, this includes hotels, beer, restaurants and food. Australia is a very expensive cuntry now....but it has very high wages and overheads. I use a CBI or consumer beer index for all the countries I visit. Patong's CBI is quite poor, I drink over the other side of the island where the CBI is better.