Is Phuket Really Ready For The Russians

terak69

Before I start this post I would like to say - I am not really bigoterie or racist.

I am hearing and have only one experience of this behaviour, but is Phuket ready for the Russians.

I am hearing of people not going to the beaches because of the behaviour of these people ie just barge into you, loud and arrogrant. I was in immigration on Tuesday and a young Russian lady was demanding that the form for extension should be witten in Russian !!!!! She was politley told that the farang help was voluntary and if she was to introduce any Russian speaking volunteers thay would be made welcome - and told to fill out her own form as she seemed capable of speaking english.

My personal experience was yesterday on a visa run to Ranong - Caught bus at 6am, being a slightly bigger version of the human race I sat behind driver with my colleague. Next stop a Russian lady got on and politely asked if her and her son (approx 10) could sit there as she was pregnant. Being polite and coutious we agreed and went and sat in more cramped seats at the back - MISTAKE - as the bus slowly filled up we with another large farang were all cramped on the back seats and the Russian lady with son were comfortabley laid asleep on the front passanger bench seat (made for 3) - when we had our 1st 7/11 stop we realised we had been conned !!!! If the lady was pregnant then she had only conceived the night before, she was as slim as a rake and approx 8 stone wet through - she had just used emotions to claim the best seats on the bus for her and son :angry:

I know Thailand and Phuket need their holiday money, but surely the travel agents could put them through a 'how to be civilised course' before they leave their motherland.

If I have upset anyone with my views I :sorry: , but I had to get of chest.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had 100% the opposite experience, but then again Im not cramming myself into a small bus for visa runs and expecting to be comfortable. All of the russians Ive had contact with in Phuket are very polite, well mannered, mind their own business, and are great customers.

Ive had 100% the opposite experience, but then again Im not cramming myself into a small bus for visa runs and expecting to be comfortable. All of the russians Ive had contact with in Phuket are very polite, well mannered, mind their own business, and are great customers.

Was not expecting 'business class seats, but was not expecting to be conned by any nationality either - I have had to do visa runs before and know what to expect on the buses

Extremely unfair to label any one group of people. I hear the same thing about Americans, loud, arrogant and although I agree some Americans are like this, definitely not all.

My Russian friends are generous and great, happy to have them as my friends.

teerak69, I think your post shows your limited exposure, and it's definitely not fair to conclude about a race by an experience on a visa run bus.

I have found the Russian tourists to be as said MOSTLY :blink:

but have found the Russian expats to be the total opposite. There are good and bad in all nationalities so you cannot condemn them all.

Just most ;)

Also just what does the OP expect on a cheap bus ride ?

I hate to generalize as well, but I too have noticed similar things. In one recent example, I have had ongoing problems recently at the gym where 3 of them, kick boxer types, take over the entire weight area and universal machine, putting their towels, water bottles and personal items on benches they aren't using, and sitting, chatting on benches and machines they aren't using. No concern for other gym users whatsoever, and I was not the only one to notice this. When I ask who's stuff it is, I only get nasty glares. When I politely ask if I can "work in" with one of them on a cable machine as is appropriate gym etiquette, I was actually told no, that I must wait until he was done. I have never had that happen before.

I can't say I have had much issue with Russian customers in the scuba diving industry. They are usually polite as any other nationality. They do, however, have a reputation for touching everything underwater. I once had a couple guys pulling octopus out of holes and riding turtles. :annoyed:

As for Russian dive instructors..as anyone who has been working in diving in Phuket for very long will know, they do have a bad reputation. It's possible this is because of a few bad apples.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Have to agree on both counts SB. The Russian divers will not be told to leave things alone and just to look. Had to tell many that they cannot take the conch shell from the sea or something similar.

The Instructors I know on Samui, only to look at as they do not speak, Just sit on the boat from Samui to Koh Tao and back looking like they have just been told they are sacked :o Saying that the Instructors I know On Koh Tao are totally different. It must be the Tao lifestyle as they are all so laid back and very friendly. :D

We have plenty of Russians in the Soi we live in.

They are quite and friendly and make excellent neighbor's.

Recently at Villa Mart there was family group who though they owned the place

But this is the exception in my experience and happens with people from other countries to

This is kinda funny...I was just at KFC and a group of Russian were at the counter arguing with staff about everything from too much ice, to too small a portions, making everyone wait. It was odd because 2 days ago in Krabi the EXACT same thing happened at Burger King. (Yes, I know my diet sucks)

One of my jobs puts me in contact with a lot of small pharmacy and minimart owners throughout the south of Thailand. They are all saying the same thing. This shift from "Eurozone" travelers to Russians and Chinese has seen a huge change in the average spending behavior of tourists in general. More package type travelers that go beach-hotel-beach and eat 30B som tam and khao pad ghai instead of a nice. I have noticed at the beaches this year a whole lot more people sitting on the sand instead of renting a lounger.

To be fair, I will add that the worst public behavior I have ever seen exhibited by a (sober) farang in Thailand was an American who stood in the lobby of Kata Beach Resort shouting at a poor young Thai hostess about not being able to iron his shirts or something. With traveling Americans I have noticed two basic types. Those that "get it" are usually young and educated and look at the world with wide eyes, enjoy travel and are respectful where ever they are, and those that are a bit arrogant, ignorant, national-centric, and believe non-Americans are below them, and see everything outside of America as merely "not American". I have met many of both types.

Just look at the menu cards around a lot is in Russian now, even M&M :(

I guess it make sense i was in a restaurant and 6 Russians did not have a clue what was on the menu so all 6 was all over the poor waitress and it took them forever to order, and i had to wait a long time.

BTW when i was last in the airport checking in a Russian middle age couple just went in front of me, i told them to f.ck of but of course they did not understand me, the Thai Air girl told me they do that a lot :annoyed:

We are now very reluctant to accept room bookings from Russians in high season. Many get an email stating we don't have availability. We have had some really nice Russians staying but we've had about the same number of arrogant, obnoxious ones.

Typical traits of the latter ones are to start talking about discounts as soon as they arrive, despite having agreed a price on the internet and maybe having paid a deposit; check out after one or two nights after finding something cheaper; decide they don't like the area, room, food or something similar and check out; complain about the most minor of problems. They don't accept that a booking made on the internet acts as a sort of unofficial contract.

I know we could take a payment in full upon arrival or even prior to arrival, or take a larger deposit, but to be honest I don't even argue any more and just let them leave; we usually fill the room with more appreciative customers anyway.

But, as I said, we have just as many friendly Russians as the not so nice ones.

This is kinda funny...I was just at KFC and a group of Russian were at the counter arguing with staff about everything from too much ice, to too small a portions, making everyone wait. It was odd because 2 days ago in Krabi the EXACT same thing happened at Burger King. (Yes, I know my diet sucks)

One of my jobs puts me in contact with a lot of small pharmacy and minimart owners throughout the south of Thailand. They are all saying the same thing. This shift from "Eurozone" travelers to Russians and Chinese has seen a huge change in the average spending behavior of tourists in general. More package type travelers that go beach-hotel-beach and eat 30B som tam and khao pad ghai instead of a nice. I have noticed at the beaches this year a whole lot more people sitting on the sand instead of renting a lounger.

To be fair, I will add that the worst public behavior I have ever seen exhibited by a (sober) farang in Thailand was an American who stood in the lobby of Kata Beach Resort shouting at a poor young Thai hostess about not being able to iron his shirts or something. With traveling Americans I have noticed two basic types. Those that "get it" are usually young and educated and look at the world with wide eyes, enjoy travel and are respectful where ever they are, and those that are a bit arrogant, ignorant, national-centric, and believe non-Americans are below them, and see everything outside of America as merely "not American". I have met many of both types.

The are good americans and bad americans, the same apllys to Aussies except most of the bad Aussies seem to end up in Thailand

Funny how all the posters that complained about them qualified their remarks with a "but there's just as many nice ones" at the end of the post. :lol:

I mean, why start the thread to begin with?? Tell it like it is and be done with it. Or post about the positive experiences you've had. Has TV gone PC now too? blink.gif

If it's out of line the thread will be shut down anyway! ph34r.gif

Personally I can't stand rude, loud, arrogant, pushy, or aggressive people, no matter where they come from. If your experiences of such involve a majority of Russians, then tell it like it is! thumbsup.gif

We are now very reluctant to accept room bookings from Russians in high season. Many get an email stating we don't have availability. We have had some really nice Russians staying but we've had about the same number of arrogant, obnoxious ones.

Typical traits of the latter ones are to start talking about discounts as soon as they arrive, despite having agreed a price on the internet and maybe having paid a deposit; check out after one or two nights after finding something cheaper; decide they don't like the area, room, food or something similar and check out; complain about the most minor of problems. They don't accept that a booking made on the internet acts as a sort of unofficial contract.

I know we could take a payment in full upon arrival or even prior to arrival, or take a larger deposit, but to be honest I don't even argue any more and just let them leave; we usually fill the room with more appreciative customers anyway.

But, as I said, we have just as many friendly Russians as the not so nice ones.

I have gained a few Russians friends in Phuket past couple of years, but we do not take room/apartment bookings from Russians even at 20-30% higher price. As customers they are in general unwilling to adapt, follow house rules, be polite to others, or accept to wait to be serviced until its their turn

"With traveling Americans I have noticed two basic types. Those that "get it" are usually young and educated and look at the world with wide eyes, enjoy travel and are respectful where ever they are, and those that are a bit arrogant, ignorant, national-centric, and believe non-Americans are below them, and see everything outside of America as merely "not American". I have met many of both types."

This comment could be applied to travelers from every western industrialized country. Apparently we can now add Russians to the list.

Let the bashing continue.....:violin:

You should not be branded racist if you hate all nationalities - equally. :) :) :) :)

Seriously, I have said it in another thread. The current target market for Phuket are Indians, Arabs, Russians, Chinese and Koreans.

In general, Indians and Arabs do not drink. The Chinese and Koreans may have a drink, but get pissed on 2 beers. The Russian definately love a drink, but will buy beer from 7/11 and walk around taking in the scenery, or, buy vodka from 7/11 and get very drunk before heading out for the night and then sit on 1 beer.

In general, all of the above are happy to eat from small street stalls, McDonalds etc, snack from mobile food vendors or buy from Carrefour and 7/11.

Most will fly into Thailand on an airline that is not Thai owned. Eg. Airasia, Qatar Airways, Russian charter flights and Eva Air.

They will either stay at a large multi-national, non Thai owned hotel, as part of a package, or, a small foreigner leased guest house.

So, in general, very little of this targeted demographic of tourst spending will be going to the local economy and/or the Thai economy.

There have been a lot of negative comments about certain nationalities in this thread. If you want to avoid contact with the above nationalities - just go to places where you spend money. I'm sure they will not be there. :) :) :) :)

Good post NamKengMan. You sum up my thoughts very well. The days of the free spending guys are long gone, and that was the backbone of the 'old' tourist industry. Now Thailand is targeting families and Asian/developing countries. This results in less money for the bars, girls,etc on the side streets. The big hotels will do OK, but the small businesses are suffering.

Moving back on topic, I hear differing views about the Russians, some have plenty of money to spend, others are on very limited budgets. Much like all nationalities. And some are demanding, much like other nationalities.

You should not be branded racist if you hate all nationalities - equally. :) :) :) :)

Seriously, I have said it in another thread. The current target market for Phuket are Indians, Arabs, Russians, Chinese and Koreans.

In general, Indians and Arabs do not drink. The Chinese and Koreans may have a drink, but get pissed on 2 beers. The Russian definately love a drink, but will buy beer from 7/11 and walk around taking in the scenery, or, buy vodka from 7/11 and get very drunk before heading out for the night and then sit on 1 beer.

In general, all of the above are happy to eat from small street stalls, McDonalds etc, snack from mobile food vendors or buy from Carrefour and 7/11.

Most will fly into Thailand on an airline that is not Thai owned. Eg. Airasia, Qatar Airways, Russian charter flights and Eva Air.

They will either stay at a large multi-national, non Thai owned hotel, as part of a package, or, a small foreigner leased guest house.

So, in general, very little of this targeted demographic of tourst spending will be going to the local economy and/or the Thai economy.

There have been a lot of negative comments about certain nationalities in this thread. If you want to avoid contact with the above nationalities - just go to places where you spend money. I'm sure they will not be there. :) :) :) :)

I dont go to the beach 8-5 in daytime, but I have friends and tenants who do. They all say the Russians are loud, bully and do not spend any money on the beach. They go to 7eleven to buy their water, beer, vodka and food, and then go back to the beach.

I know some beach chair vendors are discussing to have Russian prices for sunchairs ;)

I dont go to the beach 8-5 in daytime, but I have friends and tenants who do. They all say the Russians are loud, bully and do not spend any money on the beach. They go to 7eleven to buy their water, beer, vodka and food, and then go back to the beach.

I know some beach chair vendors are discussing to have Russian prices for sunchairs ;)

Could it be possible that one day the Patong Beach Mafia decide to impose a "beach towel fee?" So, because you can't afford one of their sun chairs, and decide to lay on the sand, where ever you put down your beach towel to lay on it, there will be a fee for doing so. :) In true Thai style, we get sun chair money from the rich, and beach towel fee from the poor. We just get more money. No need to lower cost of sun chair. :)

You are right Katabeachbum. In years gone by, 7/11. Carrefour, Big C etc only had expats and locals in there buying food, alcohol etc. Now, you see tourist on holidays in there buying supplies and they are not all Russians. I have noticed a lot more "balcony parties" in recent months.

The island is getting ridiculously expensive - no doubt about it. I used to go to the nightclubs all the time, now, I have to watch my expenditure, and I am on the Aussie dollar which was not hit so hard by the GFC.

In my opinion, in the short term, tourist will stll keep coming here, but will do everything possible to minimise expenses, as can be seen by your example. This will make life very tough for small businesses.

In the long term, tourist numbers will decline for Phuket as tourist realise, for example, a cold beer bought ON THE BEACH in Vietnam is the same cost as a beer bought in a 7/11 in Thailand, if not cheaper. So, for the same money spent, they gain more luxury and comfort and therefore a more satisfying holiday experience, in a neighbouring country. Then, they go home and discuss with their friends what money can buy in Thailand, as compared to what money can buy in, for example, Vietnam. It all equals toursit numbers up, next door, and toursit numbers down on Phuket.

Having said that, I was in Pattaya recently and the place was rammed with tourist, especially Russians. I've been to Pattaya many times, but, on this occassion, did notice a big disparity in prices, for everything. Drinks, food, accommodation - everything was considerably cheaper. So, it is possible, tourst will still come to Thailand, but chose a cheaper place within the country. If this is the case, they very well might frequest bars, cafes, restaurants, nightclubs etc as it is more affordable for them.

As I also mentioned in another thread, Thai landlords are pricing Phuket out of the market because the high costs of leasing their bars, guest houses etc has to be passed on to the consumer (tourist). That means, beer, food, accommodation etc are all more expensive on Phuket than elsewhere.

No doubt, someone will post a statistic stating tourist numbers coming to Phuket have been bigger than ever, BUT, my point, and that of some other posts, is that the tourist coming, are not spending within the local economy. Some of that could be cultural Eg. in general, muslims do not drink. Some of it could be afforability Eg. beer in 7/11 is 40 baht as compared to 80 or 90 baht in bars and even more in nightclubs.

Could it be possible that one day the Patong Beach Mafia decide to impose a "beach towel fee?" So, because you can't afford one of their sun chairs, and decide to lay on the sand, where ever you put down your beach towel to lay on it, there will be a fee for doing so. :) In true Thai style, we get sun chair money from the rich, and beach towel fee from the poor. We just get more money. No need to lower cost of sun chair. :)

You are right Katabeachbum. In years gone by, 7/11. Carrefour, Big C etc only had expats and locals in there buying food, alcohol etc. Now, you see tourist on holidays in there buying supplies and they are not all Russians. I have noticed a lot more "balcony parties" in recent months.

The island is getting ridiculously expensive - no doubt about it. I used to go to the nightclubs all the time, now, I have to watch my expenditure, and I am on the Aussie dollar which was not hit so hard by the GFC.

In my opinion, in the short term, tourist will stll keep coming here, but will do everything possible to minimise expenses, as can be seen by your example. This will make life very tough for small businesses.

In the long term, tourist numbers will decline for Phuket as tourist realise, for example, a cold beer bought ON THE BEACH in Vietnam is the same cost as a beer bought in a 7/11 in Thailand, if not cheaper. So, for the same money spent, they gain more luxury and comfort and therefore a more satisfying holiday experience, in a neighbouring country. Then, they go home and discuss with their friends what money can buy in Thailand, as compared to what money can buy in, for example, Vietnam. It all equals toursit numbers up, next door, and toursit numbers down on Phuket.

Having said that, I was in Pattaya recently and the place was rammed with tourist, especially Russians. I've been to Pattaya many times, but, on this occassion, did notice a big disparity in prices, for everything. Drinks, food, accommodation - everything was considerably cheaper. So, it is possible, tourst will still come to Thailand, but chose a cheaper place within the country. If this is the case, they very well might frequest bars, cafes, restaurants, nightclubs etc as it is more affordable for them.

As I also mentioned in another thread, Thai landlords are pricing Phuket out of the market because the high costs of leasing their bars, guest houses etc has to be passed on to the consumer (tourist). That means, beer, food, accommodation etc are all more expensive on Phuket than elsewhere.

No doubt, someone will post a statistic stating tourist numbers coming to Phuket have been bigger than ever, BUT, my point, and that of some other posts, is that the tourist coming, are not spending within the local economy. Some of that could be cultural Eg. in general, muslims do not drink. Some of it could be afforability Eg. beer in 7/11 is 40 baht as compared to 80 or 90 baht in bars and even more in nightclubs.

I will only post Phuket prices, and ask where in prime location it is less expensive

Bangla road, Kangaroo bar and some others, all beer 70 baht, all drinks/cocktails 120 baht all day and night. A litre of Smirnoff with free ice and mixers 2000 baht

Timberhut Nightclub, live music every night, Jonny Walker Red Label large bottle, bucket of ice and 2 mixers, 1.025 baht

well, you are blaming behavior on a nationality and not the individual and then saying you are "not really racist" when in fact that is the definition of racism.

I am commenting on 2 situations I experienced & general comments that I have heard !! If do not think that is classed as rasicm but TIT.................................

I will only post Phuket prices, and ask where in prime location it is less expensive

Bangla road, Kangaroo bar and some others, all beer 70 baht, all drinks/cocktails 120 baht all day and night. A litre of Smirnoff with free ice and mixers 2000 baht

Timberhut Nightclub, live music every night, Jonny Walker Red Label large bottle, bucket of ice and 2 mixers, 1.025 baht

Those are fair prices. I would have no problem paying that. However, many small bars have San Mig Lite and Heineken at 80 baht. The big place across the street from Kangaroo Bar and of the same theme (I'm sure you know the one - not allowed to name and shame) is 90 baht a Heineken. I drink there a bit, but, the fact is, if Kangaroo Bar is 70 baht a Heineken - they are about 25% dearer than Kangaroo Bar and over 100% dearer than a 7/11.

Most of the bars in downstairs Tiger are the same. I also note it's 500 baht "bar fine" in most of those bars now.

80 baht is close to the price of a draught beer in a suburban pub in Australia and that pub has massive overheads. Eg. award wages, liability insurance, security, licencing, workcover premiums, health inspections etc etc etc etc.

I don't see a lot of rich farang bar owners in Phuket, despite charging similar prices you pay in the west and having nowhere near the overheads as, say, a pub in Australia. The staff are on around 6000 baht a month and insurance etc is non existent. There is some "tea money" to pay in Thailand that may not have to be paid in the west, but generally speaking, overheads are lower here.

So, who is making all the money and causing the high prices we have on Phuket???????? As I have said before, I believe it's the Thai landlords and they are effecting tourism on Phuket.

I have a couple of Italian restaurants and in these last months Russian are among the most numerous customers in my places.

My experience is more than positive. They are competent (about Italian food and wine), they spend :whistling:, they are mostly polite, nice and friendly.

New on tourism, they start to be used to travel now and they will need some more excperience, but IMO I like the Russian people.

I have a couple of Italian restaurants and in these last months Russian are among the most numerous customers in my places.

My experience is more than positive. They are competent (about Italian food and wine), they spend :whistling:, they are mostly polite, nice and friendly.

New on tourism, they start to be used to travel now and they will need some more excperience, but IMO I like the Russian people.

Also good to here actual positive sides as well :D

Lots of Russians staying - never had any problems with them - apart from the need to use sign language since my knowledge of Russian/their knowledge of English is about the same ==> zero.

The only Russian teacher I can find is in Chalong - does anyone know a Russian language teacher in north Phuket??

Simon