Need Advice To Choose Meditation Retreat

yuri2006

I'm planning to visit Thailand in the beginning of May to dedicate (for the first time in my life) ~7 days to meditation.

I read the descriptions of the retreats; well, I'm not sure I'll be able to meditate 10 h per day especially with crossed legs (I have knee problem). So I'm searching for something "light" to start with, to try. My idea is that it shall be a kind of retreat where one can:

a. use his own meditation technique

b. choose number of sessions during the day; e.g. if there are 3x3h sessions each day, one may choose 1, 2 or 3; I mean that schedule is partially left up to each person

c. food is suitable for "western" stomach, and one can do with English language (I don't need lectures; I mean just very basic things)

d. place shall not be very air-poluted (I was once in Bangkok and got the impression of high air polution)

Would be grateful if anybody could give me any suggestions.

Sounds like you'd be better off doing a retreat in a western country. While you probably won't be able to choose your schedule it will be more common for people to do meditation sitting in a chair and pollution/stomach problems won't be an issue.

Edited by Brucenkhamen

I recommend Wat Suan Mokh.

http://www.suanmokkh-idh.org/

I'm planning to visit Thailand in the beginning of May to dedicate (for the first time in my life) ~7 days to meditation.

It goes for 10 days.

Your only enemy will be your own mind.

Retreats are held on the 1st day of each month (e.g: 1 May 2011, 1 June 2011 etc)

Farang constitute about 80% of their retreatants.

I read the descriptions of the retreats; well, I'm not sure I'll be able to meditate 10 h per day especially with crossed legs (I have knee problem). So I'm searching for something "light" to start with, to try. My idea is that it shall be a kind of retreat where one can:

No problem. All postures are accommodated.

At Suan Mokh they provide seiza benches ans cushions which allow you to kneel.

The meditation hall floor is filled with sand.

You sit over the bench in a kneeling position whilst legs fold underneath the bench and are supported on a flat cushion.

You can also place a cushion on top of the bench to make it easy on the bottom.

The seiza bench takes your body weight off your legs even though you are in a kneeling position.

Also this posture allows tripod stability (two knees/lower legs and the bottom) sitting upright.

You adjust your back so you become one with gravity and in balance.

use his own meditation technique

Basically you are left to do your own internalization although vippassana is taught (focus on the breathe).

b. choose number of sessions during the day; e.g. if there are 3x3h sessions each day, one may choose 1, 2 or 3; I mean that schedule is partially left up to each person

Meditation sessions are no more than about three hours each.

They are punctuated by your choice of further sitting, walking meditation, or chanting.

food is suitable for "western" stomach, and one can do with English language (I don't need lectures; I mean just very basic things)

Food is excellent vegetarian style.

Not overly spicy with usually 2 or 3 dishes to select from with brown rice and fruit.

English is spoken.

There are talks by the Abbott, guest Monk and others each day on basic Dhamma.

place shall not be very air-poluted (I was once in Bangkok and got the impression of high air polution)

Very clean country air situated in a forest setting 800 kms south of Bangkok.

You can fly via AirAsia Bangkok to Surat Thani (1 hour) for about $95 return or by coach or train.

Edited by rockyysdt

Thanks, FabianFred

I don't have account with Facebook, but I look at the site you gave. I understood that there is a package offered with included 2 days tour over Triangle and also lliving in tribes.

Well, I don't have inclination to make excursions, view temples or live in the village for better cultural penetration. Ny purpose is "calming of mind" experience :)

Nevertheless, thanks once more

Thanks, rockyysd

I looked at several wats, and ths one seems one of the best options. I like yoga in the morning. 10 days seem a bit scaring :) Do rooms there have electicity to plug anti-mosquito devices?

I met two Russian visitors on the June 2010 retreat.

Suan Mokkh receives visitors from all around the world.

At certain times of the year mosquitoes can be a problem.

Each person is allocated their own room which has electricity for lighting.

You can control the light but it is centrally switched off at about 9.00pm and switched back on at 4.00am.

Each retreatant is allocated a bamboo mat, a blanket and a large mosquito net .

The mosquito net will cover your entire bed and is tucked in under the matting for added protection.

Each room has a candle lantern but I recommend a personal torch and or candles and matches to assist you once the lights are switched off.

You may also experience problems with mosquitoes during your sitting periods.

For this I highly recommend the following.

• Light clothing covering your entire arms and legs.
  • Socks to cover your feet.
  • Plenty of quality mosquito repellent.
  • Mosquito net. (something like this: http://wellingtonsur...T+NOT+INCLUDED+ but without the hat)

You can also buy a scarf and large sheet of material from the general store which can be used as a shawl.

Don't feel scared about attending for 10 days.

The Buddhist way is to observe your fear without attachment.

Your fear will soon pass. :)

You'll find a minimum period is important as it allows your mind/body to achieve a deeper level of experience.

On the tenth day, after observing silence during my stay, l didn't recognize the depth of experience achieved until someone spoke to me. I attempted a reply but the words wouldn't come, just tears.

Time spent is well worth the effort.

I can assure you your personal life will still be there waiting for you.

Here is a link from the Friends of Suan Mokkh.

http://www.suanmokkh.info/

Edited by rockyysdt

Suan Mokkh is a very good place. Most Farang gave up after 3 days, you don't need them. . No comfort in a western standard, no comfortable mattress (2 cm). But nature around. When there is a T'ai Ch'i teacher you have a morning meditation, to follow the uprising sun

with your body and mind and you have inside elecricity for the day. The Feng Shui (geomantic power) of the place is great and the Teaching of Tan Buddhadasa still is there. If you love the mosquitos they will not bite you, but a net is good too.

Respect some rules (close your mouth for secondary problems), open your mind and heart, an innocent baby who wants to learn, and no problem.

Suan Mokkh is a very good place. Most Farang gave up after 3 days, you don't need them. .

Your remark is not only unkind it is also totally false.

I was in wat suan mokh 3 times for the 10 day retreat starting on the 1st of the month (you have to arrive there the previous day before 4 pm). In average 100 participants attended each time, all farang, of which about 25 percent left the first three days , meaning 75 % of participants, all farang, stayed for the full 10 days.

Edited by orchis

Thanks, FabianFred

I don't have account with Facebook, but I look at the site you gave. I understood that there is a package offered with included 2 days tour over Triangle and also lliving in tribes.

Well, I don't have inclination to make excursions, view temples or live in the village for better cultural penetration. Ny purpose is "calming of mind" experience :)

Nevertheless, thanks once more

just to explain a bit more.... not that i am trying to convince you to come here or say this place is any better than the other recommended places like Suan Moak.

Originally the MonkforaMonth was by payment and run by Blood Foundation.

Now it is free, but BF still need some way to stay in business so they arrange a package with tours etc.

You can still come to the temple and join in without payment since the temple is not a part of BF.

Guests find their own way here after seeing stuff on Facebook and the internet. They are welcome to stay for just a few days or a few weeks, no pressure involved.

The males have the opportunity to ordain as Novice monks if they are interested and stay more than two weeks....not necessary to be a Buddhist to do so.

Our meditation teacher trained under Luang Por Thong at Wat Chomthong, and tries his best to encourage guests to meditate as much as possible, because he knows this is the way to make progress, but it is not an intense meditation retreat.

Thanks everybody for participation.

One more question. If we measure weather-like or mosquito-like :), I understand that May is not the best month to come to Northern Thailand. From what I read, it seems either winter (December-February) or late summer (rains season) is better. Is it so?

Suan Mokkh is a very good place. Most Farang gave up after 3 days, you don't need them. .

I was in wat suan mokh 3 times for the 10 day retreat starting on the 1st of the month (you have to arrive there the previous day before 4 pm). In average 100 participants attended each time, all farang, of which about 25 percent left the first three days , meaning 75 % of participants, all farang, stayed for the full 10 days.

It 's ok. I'm happy to hear good news. >The last 20 years I heard variable informations from friends I send there.

It 's ok. I'm happy to hear good news. >The last 20 years I heard variable informations from friends I send there.

More importantly, why bring this to everyone's attention?

Thanks everybody for participation.

One more question. If we measure weather-like or mosquito-like :), I understand that May is not the best month to come to Northern Thailand. From what I read, it seems either winter (December-February) or late summer (rains season) is better. Is it so?

My understand is that in the South (Wat Suan Mokkh) the mosquito problem is worst during the beginning of the wet season (June).

I found the weather tolerable during June 2010 with average 28 degree temperature and acceptable levels of humidity.

The meditation halls have a large high roof with open sides allowing a breeze to flow through.

With appropriate protection and personal netting mosquitoes should not a problem.

If you attend without protected they would be an issue.

Edited by rockyysdt

Here's another place for you to think about and look at. Wat Luang Phor Sodh Dhammakayaram . It's southwest of Bangkok in Rajburi province. The meditation classes are run by Phra Bart, an American monk. His monk name is Phra Khru Baitika Dr. Barton Yanathiro. I think you might like it. It's not near as intense as Suan Mokkh. I stayed there for two weeks back in 2007. Good accomedations and good food and Phra Bart understands about how sitting for long periods is painful. He actually sits and meditates in a chair. The president of the temples meditation section is my boss, Somdej Phra Buddhajahn, the abbot of Wat Sakesa in Bangkok. It's beautiful down there. I don't know if the moderators will let me give you the website address, but I will try. www.dhammacenter.org . I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks, khaowong1

This seems to be a very different Buddhist practice with visualisation and guided meditations! Seems very different from other Wats I looked at.

Personally I can't visualise; most people can, but I can't, and so all the systems which require visualisation which I tried were a total failure (for me). But then, I have never tried during a retreat.

I tried to find an answer on their site about people who can't visualise - like me - but could not. Once more thanks, and let me think it over.

I know the area. The program of the Wat of Fabian Fred is open minded. You can find what you want,

Your plan is narrow minded, you want this and this and this and not to much mosquitos.

Come as an innocent baby, with open mind, open eyes, and open mouth, and not forget open heart.

Don't look for meditation "performance", take part of the life of monks, listen their Teachings and you will quickly

understand what you want really. If all this is to much, take a time out.

Have a look on the life of Hill Tribes, they can give you another point of view how to manage life.

And if all this is too much for you, you have the nature. Walk and look to the falling leaves of a tree,

awakening is possible, or not, never mind.

Your plan is narrow minded, you want this and this and this and not to much mosquitos.

Come as an innocent baby, with open mind, open eyes, and open mouth, and not forget open heart.

Don't look for meditation "performance", take part of the life of monks, listen their Teachings and you will quickly

understand what you want really. If all this is to much, take a time out.

Have a look on the life of Hill Tribes, they can give you another point of view how to manage life.

And if all this is too much for you, you have the nature. Walk and look to the falling leaves of a tree,

awakening is possible, or not, never mind.

Good advice.

Another option you may wish to explore is the meditation centre at Wat U Mong, in Chiang Mai. It was founded in 2005, and accepted as the 7th provincial vipassana centre by the Thai Sangha Council in 2008. Meditators are welcome to stay as long as they want, or for as few days as they want. There is no charge but donations are gratefully accepted.

I visited the centre last weekend. Facilities are good, the schedule is not too rigorous (bedtime 9pm, wakeup 4am).

Tel 0 5381 0965. I've sent you the email address via PM.

Another option you may wish to explore is the meditation centre at Wat U Mong, in Chiang Mai. It was founded in 2005, and accepted as the 7th provincial vipassana centre by the Thai Sangha Council in 2008. Meditators are welcome to stay as long as they want, or for as few days as they want. There is no charge but donations are gratefully accepted.

I visited the centre last weekend. Facilities are good, the schedule is not too rigorous (bedtime 9pm, wakeup 4am).

A good place, my Home-Wat, Branch of Suan Mokh (Tan Buddhadasa).

A good library with books in several languages.

The Pali Chanting is powerful, because the monks understand what they are chanting.

For lay people the Chanting is in Pali and Thai.

• 8 months later...

I am building up my itinerary of Wat's to visit and the photos of the Wat look wonderful. Does Wat U Mong have a website by any chance? Google results would suggest not.

I am trying to find out some more info about doing a retreat there eg if it is individual or organised ie start on a particular day. Does anyone teach or entirely up to the individual... How much advanced notice is required, how quiet (eg close to traffic) etc.

Edited by patient

I am building up my itinerary of Wat's to visit and the photos of the Wat look wonderful. Does Wat U Mong have a website by any chance? Google results would suggest not.

I am trying to find out some more info about doing a retreat there eg if it is individual or organised ie start on a particular day. Does anyone teach or entirely up to the individual... How much advanced notice is required, how quiet (eg close to traffic) etc.

Here is some information on Wat Umong.

You'll find reference to many other Wats at this site as well.

http://www.dhammathai.org/e/meditation/page23.php

With respect to Wat U Mong, I don't believe they have an English-language website. You can usually show up one day in advance and began the following day. It's pretty quiet, although you will hear the sounds of monks, visitors, etc, coming and going. You can also practice deeper in the forest, in a larger area behind the main wat compound, where the only sounds are the sounds of nature.