Do Buddhists Have Totems Or Symbolic Animals?

Robroy

I'm reading a book with mainly Burmese Buddhist characters, (White Butterflies by Colin McPhedran).

In one scene a character is told by a monk to choose an image (person, Buddha, animal) on which to meditate.

He chooses a kingfisher (because he'd watched one as a kid, & he fell in love with it).

Meditating on the kingfisher helps him to let go of hate, anger, etc.

Is this common in SE Asian Buddhism?

What exactly is the animal/bird/image supposed to signify for the student?

I've never heard of such a thing, sounds like the author has a vivid imagination.

For concentration meditation there are forty objects listed in scripture, nothing like imagining an animal see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamma%E1%B9%AD%E1%B9%ADh%C4%81na

For insight meditation which is probably much more common in Burma using imaginary or conceptual objects isn't part of the practise and is discouraged.

Edited by Brucenkhamen

The monk who gave the instruction was a senior Burmese monk named U Endika. He was actually the engineer who'd rebuilt the Ava Bridge across the Irrawaddy - by now retired from the world & serving as a monk.

The instruction was to meditate on the kingfisher as a way of dissolving hate, fear, etc.

I just thought others might have heard of this practice.

Yes, I've known some monks who use turtles and some who use an image of a snake. Trees are good as are flowers. even a rock. But most monks I know use a Buddha statue or religous picture. I had some interesting results using a Hanuman statue once. but normally I stay with my breathing.