Falangs In Nakon Sawan?

Nepal4me

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived there years ago for 9 months.. "what shall we do today? Go to Big C. What shall we do today? Go to the swamp. What shall we..?

Any special reason to chose there...?

But a not bad place to live... lots of traffic... used to be a huge hub for drug dealing. I think had the most drug deaths during Thaksins "elimination" campaign.

Sorry Im bored, but i DID used to live there..

I do live there, but not in the town. Great place. Best food in Thailand, enough night life if your into that. Interesting area that you need to explore from local knowledge. Usual range of shops. Very central for travel. Some of the best National parks for hiking,camping, kayaking etc, but known mainly to locals. Not many tourists.Great for cyclists. Many Thai /Chinese business families- educated, smart, and friendly.Wouldn't live anywhere else. Excellent schools, 4 private hospitals. 4 Universities. Not so many farlang. Welcome.

Very interesting. I'm looking for somewhere to teach after my CELTA next month. Somewhere between a shack in the rice paddy & Bangkok is my ideal. A supermarket, cinema & a bar with a pool table will suffice for myself & the pudding burner's simple pleasures.:rolleyes:

I assume the pay for a schoolteacher is the standard 30k + housing? FYI I'm a science & maths teacher with 1 year's experience in the UK (yes I know but I'll probably have to teach English too!):lol:

How are the housing rental costs / standards?

Cheers.:D

Lived there for a bit when I was travelling up-country a few years back.

There's hardly any farangs living in the city, The Chinese have a sizeable community here. Apartments are not that good and are like something from the 1970s. That's the ones that are available for rent. The only one that had internet looked like something out of a thai jail!

You need to rent a house ideally, something like a townhouse should suffice.

It's got a pretty decent nightlife scene though, the one-way system is a bit of a pain but doable.

As far as the drug-dealing goes, any Thai city has that to one extent or another.

I will say it's one of the few places outside of Bangkok where hookers (ugly ones at that) ply their trade opposite the 7-11 store!

Why would you choose Nakhon Sawan? Presumably your other half is from there.

Pleasant enough town, has a Big C and a Makro, plenty of the usual Thai eating/drinking places, I think there is still a cinema but only Thai language, not sure about the pool table but must be one somewhere, a sprinkling of farangs mixture of teachers and mongers who married, small town beer, food and accomm. prices which is a plus, nowt wrong with the place if you like small town Thailand. I do.

Try the Central Thailand forum lower down for more feedback.

Why would you choose Nakhon Sawan? Presumably your other half is from there.

Pleasant enough town, has a Big C and a Makro, plenty of the usual Thai eating/drinking places, I think there is still a cinema but only Thai language, not sure about the pool table but must be one somewhere, a sprinkling of farangs mixture of teachers and mongers who married, small town beer, food and accomm. prices which is a plus, nowt wrong with the place if you like small town Thailand. I do.

Try the Central Thailand forum lower down for more feedback.

Nakhon Sawan Province has a population of just under 1,000,000 people.. The town has 100,000 people.Its one of the more prosperous in Thailand. The area produces more rice and sugar cane than anywhere else (Thailand is the worlds largest rice exporter) It has the largest Chinese business community outside Bangkok. Its about the most central city in Thailand, and is within a days' travel by land to 5 other countries. Historically, when trade was done by river it was a major trading centre. It has 2 cinemas with 4 screens each, sometimes in English, often with subtitles. As I said in my previous post, it has the best food in Thailand, - not only my opinion, but many tourists also. Private health and education is good. The National Parks near Myanmar - about 1.5 hours away, have some of the best rivers in the country, and 25c temperatures all year. I'm not on any commission either. But Nakhon Sawan is anything but a small town, you just need to get to know the locals and not seek out only the farlang.

I agree with Tim I've been working here for a year now and the town has many surprises if you are prepared to look around

The food is good and cheap , there are many bars/restaurants and disco's and a good Golf course.

For ElCata there is a English school where you can teach your science/math subjects.

There are a few Westerner's around town most like to keep to them self.

For ElCata there is a English school where you can teach your science/math subjects.

There are a few Westerner's around town most like to keep to them self.

Thanks very muchly Stew.

Are the schools 1st tier international, private, government or thrice?

I'm a bit of a homebody as you've probably gathered, ergo t'internet is a must! How is the availability / cost / type / reliabilty?:ermm:

My p2p days are over & the fruits are currently stored on my 1.5TB HD, which will accompany me to my chosen destination & provide me with entertainment for infinite hours; so a bandwidth capable of Skype, web browsing, emails & at a push YouTube will serve my basic needs.

Cheers.B)

Tim I wasn't knocking the place at all (and sorry if I was wrong about the cinemas) but a population of approx 100,000 makes it a small town. A town definitely, not a village, but a small one. And a pleasant one as I said. A mate of mine who came to visit commented on the excellence of the food, and his wife said NS was noted for it, wed been to The Terminus which closed down not too long after.

I don't really have a discerning/discriminating palate so couldn't offer an opinion one way or the other.

I've never had cause to complain about a meal, but then I rarely ever do.!

Cheers

Edited by rott

• 4 weeks later...

I have ben here for about 2 years now, NS is not the most beautiful place on earth but it does have a lot going for it, the food is very very good, living costs are not expensive my large room with aircon. cable tv, internet, electric and water costs about 3200 bts a month and it less than 1 year old. I will be moving into a house later this year. 3 bedroon detached 1.65m again new. As Tim says very central for travelling in any direction. Also on the Bangkok-Chiang Mai railway line. Not too many foreingers here but the locals are generally very friendly. Originally I was going to live near the Pattaya area, glad I opted to come here to NS. No hoards of Russians here! I can be on the coast in about 5 hours and access to 3 border checkpoints. If anyone says its boring well anywhere you live and get into a routine can get boring, life is what you make it, plenty of new things to explore.

Edited by nong38

I live in BKK but spend a lot of time in NS as it's my gf's home town. It's not exciting but it does grow on you, and there are some hidden treasures around the region once you start exploring, and the food is excellent. The people are mostly friendly, which, to some extent, may be exactly because there aren't so many farang to create a bad image for the rest. I have only seen a handful there, and it's not unusual to spend 2 or 3 days and not see a non-Thai face at all.We started building a house just outside NS this month. Not sure that it will ever be our primary residence, but it will be nice to have a retreat to get away to. On your question of Internet services, I use my 3G modem when I'm there (can't escape work where ever I go), and while I only get 2G service, it's the fastest and most reliable service I've experienced outside the main cities with 3G service. CAT are promoting a new service now, but I haven't had time to check it out, and have no idea if there is any fixed ADSL service. Welcome.

Just my three pence worth, last time I was there went to Big C. Load's of Farang's 20+ about as I'm a pretty friendly guy, I said good morning to several. How many reply's did I get, well not ONE. Not even a kiss my ar/e. If that's the sort of Farang peep's you get there in N/S then no thanks. I'm not even going down the Traffic, fume's, or the parking in Big C, route. Best of luck.

Maybe they were tourists on their way through to Sukhothai or Chiangmai? I have never seen a group about before, in all my time there. Maybe they didn't speak English? It took me a while to get used to the fact that not every white foreigner you see necessarily speaks English!Then again, some people are just rude! And yeah, BigC doesn't have the most user friendly parking lot! ...but fumes? I thought they were roses I was smelling!

Maybe they were tourists on their way through to Sukhothai or Chiangmai? I have never seen a group about before, in all my time there. Maybe they didn't speak English? It took me a while to get used to the fact that not every white foreigner you see necessarily speaks English!Then again, some people are just rude! And yeah, BigC doesn't have the most user friendly parking lot! ...but fumes? I thought they were roses I was smelling!

I think they were all local's all had there good ladies Thai family's with them. Eating/shopping in Big C, Not in group's. Where I live not to far away never had anyone "well one" not reply to a good morning. Keep themselves to themselves. Ok if you dont want to speak a bit of Farang at odd time's, all be it just to find out what's going on in the area. Rude/Impolite who know's been there several time's alway's seems the same no one speak's. Next time your in Big C give it a try. Maybe it's me I am an ugly bugger.

Must admit though outside of N/S there are some nice place's to visit. But you'll need a car full time.

Do I go there anymore not if I can help it. Now it's the bypass. Now that IS the best thing about N/S allegedly.

Rose's, is that the diesel fragrance green one's I've heard about???????

Anyway to all those that live there. Enjoy. It's just not for me.

Edited by fredob43

I think they were all local's all had there good ladies Thai family's with them. Eating/shopping in Big C, Not in group's. Where I live not to far away never had anyone "well one" not reply to a good morning. Keep themselves to themselves. Ok if you dont want to speak a bit of Farang at odd time's, all be it just to find out what's going on in the area. Rude/Impolite who know's been there several time's alway's seems the same no one speak's. Next time your in Big C give it a try. Maybe it's me I am an ugly bugger.

Must admit though outside of N/S there are some nice place's to visit. But you'll need a car full time.

Do I go there anymore not if I can help it. Now it's the bypass. Now that IS the best thing about N/S allegedly.

Fredob

I would have spoken if I was there but as we have our own BigC etc in Khampaeng Phet I only go down there for my 90 day reports.

If a farang down there looks at me I will say something like G'day mate and about 50% of the time I get a response. If I don't then I am not bothered about it.

Edited by billd766

<br />
<br />Maybe they were tourists on their way through to Sukhothai or Chiangmai?  I have never seen a group about before, in all my time there.  Maybe they didn't speak English?  It took me a while to get used to the fact that not every white foreigner you see necessarily speaks English!Then again, some people are just rude!  And yeah, BigC doesn't have the most user friendly parking lot!  ...but fumes?  I thought they were roses I was smelling!<br />
<br /><br /> I think they were all local's all had there good ladies Thai family's with them. Eating/shopping in Big C, Not in group's. Where I live not to far away never had anyone "well one" not reply to a good morning. Keep themselves to themselves. Ok if you dont want to speak a bit of Farang at odd time's, all be it just to find out what's going on in the area. Rude/Impolite who know's been there several time's alway's seems the same no one speak's. Next time your in Big C give it a try. Maybe it's me I am an ugly bugger. <br />Must admit though outside of N/S there are some nice place's to visit. But you'll need a car full time.<br />Do I go there anymore not if I can help it. Now it's the bypass. Now that IS the best thing about N/S allegedly.<br /> Rose's, is that the diesel fragrance green one's I've heard about??????? <br />Anyway to all those that live there. Enjoy. It's just not for me.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well, let's hope they are all on TV reading this thread and feel guilty... Could end up creating an active social group out of it! Let's organize a Bowling afternoon at Big C and we can all rent a lane next to each other with our Thai families, and we can ignore one another. (forgot about the bowling, there's another highlight for NS!). ...and I was joking about the ignoring bit!

Fredob

I would have spoken if I was there but as we have our own BigC etc in Khampaeng Phet I only go down there for my 90 day reports.

If a farang down there looks at me I will say something like G'day mate and about 50% of the time I get a response. If I don't then I am not bothered about it.

Sure but we have only just got our Big C so used to go quite a lot " At least once a month" for shopping Ect. There and Makro alway's had a bite to eat while there. I just found that all the peep's I came across didnt what to say even a hallo. Never found that in any other place in Thailand.

You can do the 90 day bit by post save's the trip, not to mention the traffic. But I'm sure you know that.

Bowling sound's great only problem it's a bit far from K.Pang

Had a good time at Mike's last Friday there was about 18 Farang + good ladies there. Hope your well, Bill.

Fred.

Edited by fredob43

Fredob

Sure but we have only just got our Big C so used to go quite a lot " At least once a month" for shopping Ect. There and Makro alway's had a bite to eat while there. I just found that all the peep's I came across didnt what to say even a hallo. Never found that in any other place in Thailand.

You can do the 90 day bit by post save's the trip, not to mention the traffic. But I'm sure you know that.

Bowling sound's great only problem it's a bit far from K.Pang

Had a good time at Mike's last Friday there was about 18 Farang + good ladies there. Hope your well, Bill.

Fred.

I was in KP Friday morning with my mate from Germany trying to get warm and dry after the last few days so bugger it I missed you again.

No problem as there is always another day.

Last week I was a member of the CWFM (Cold,Wet & Frigging Miserable) club.

Yesterday and today were totally different.

My days are always busy, always find things to do, I do wish there was a good swimming pool open at times that more useful, 3-30/4pm till 9pm is not desined for anyones else than kids along with no circulation or chemicals makes them no go for me. I dont know if anyone else is aware that there is an English club that meets on an ad hoc arrangement but you do make good contacts with business people.

I also heard that westerners meet in Big C for beer from 1230 to 2, I think M-W and F, not been usually to busy. I soon want to try out the railway north and south, bit far out of town but a different view from the window.

Lots I have yet to do here, life is what you make it. no regrets of putting down roots here.

I drove across from Phetchabun province to NS Makro last week, nice store, especially the bakery.

Strangely enough I did not see one farang!, well it was raining so perhaps they are not allowed outdoors.

Is that aquarium place worth a day out, on the Road 225, a few kms out from NS.?

My days are always busy, always find things to do, I do wish there was a good swimming pool open at times that more useful, 3-30/4pm till 9pm is not desined for anyones else than kids along with no circulation or chemicals makes them no go for me. I dont know if anyone else is aware that there is an English club that meets on an ad hoc arrangement but you do make good contacts with business people.

I also heard that westerners meet in Big C for beer from 1230 to 2, I think M-W and F, not been usually to busy. I soon want to try out the railway north and south, bit far out of town but a different view from the window.

Lots I have yet to do here, life is what you make it. no regrets of putting down roots here.

Dave

Can you tell me where the swimming pool is in town

I know the one at the Golf course

Cheers stuart

I drove across from Phetchabun province to NS Makro last week, nice store, especially the bakery.

Strangely enough I did not see one farang!, well it was raining so perhaps they are not allowed outdoors.

Is that aquarium place worth a day out, on the Road 225, a few kms out from NS.?

A friend of mine went there the other week and said it was very good, he and his good lady did a bit of scuba diving, and said cant wait to go back. I'm sure someone who's a local can give you more infomation.

A friend of mine went there the other week and said it was very good, he and his good lady did a bit of scuba diving, and said cant wait to go back. I'm sure someone who's a local can give you more infomation.

The aquqrium is a right turn down the road, just look for what looks like the ARK! Its worth a look. 2.5 metre ray fish that are in the river and some other big chaps toom maybe you should not go into the river again!!!!!!!! A good mornings entertainment, cant remember how much it cost, more for me than the g/f. If you want a look let me know I will look to see if I still have pics.

There's also a crocodile compound a couple of km down to road. Back on the main road from the aquarium heading out of town, a couple of km there's a second rail crossing and a left hand bend, then there's a road on the right, signposted to the fisheries research centre (I think... Something like that). Follow the road all the way through the gate, then turn left... You will drive into the crocodile pond if you keep going too far! You can buy chicken from a couple of vendors to feed the crocodiles... Or the one legged dog!!!

Fredob

Sorry Bill missed your post, of to BKK today 23rd back on the 28th maybe, all go A. Yes last week was the pit's three day's of hell.

Fred.

Dave

Can you tell me where the swimming pool is in town

I know the one at the Golf course

Cheers stuart

Stuart, check your messenger, end of Matulee Road. Yesterday also heard that a school/unuversity has one will have to investigate and let you know.

• 3 weeks later...

I do live there, but not in the town. Great place. Best food in Thailand, enough night life if your into that. Interesting area that you need to explore from local knowledge. Usual range of shops. Very central for travel. Some of the best National parks for hiking,camping, kayaking etc, but known mainly to locals. Not many tourists.Great for cyclists. Many Thai /Chinese business families- educated, smart, and friendly.Wouldn't live anywhere else. Excellent schools, 4 private hospitals. 4 Universities. Not so many farlang. Welcome.

Just been looking at a Thai program, Spring News, live 12/4/11 yes I know it's holiday time But the traffic in N/S is now, what's the word, are I know horrendous, with fume level's at crisis point, level 7 top of the gauge. And you want to live there!!!!!!! May I suggest that it's a great idea if you want to knock 10/15 year's off your life. Good job there's load's of Hospital's there. I can taste the GREAT food now, Diesel Fish, Exhaust Chicken, oh must not forget the Petrol Pork, and the Fume Veg I think that's the local delicacy, last but not least oiled Rice. Now dont forget you lot that live there you ENJOY. Oh just a thought if you want to get some more Sh/t in your lung's do a bit of hiking at one of their crap free, "Choke, Choke, Cough, Cough" N/Park's. Now you know why there's not to many Farang's there. The long timer's read 5 year's are all DEAD.