Sneaky Burger King

maesai

I saw that too. The fact that the price was in written Thai script was a little like visiting National Parks, where the Thai price is cleverly written in Thai script.

Wow...imagine that...writing signs in Thai in Thailand...how dastardly sneaky of them...surely this practice of posting signs in a country's own language in that country is something only done in Thailand and nowhere else :o:blink:

Did you notice that the location was an INTERNATIONAL airport?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that too. The fact that the price was in written Thai script was a little like visiting National Parks, where the Thai price is cleverly written in Thai script.

Wow...imagine that...writing signs in Thai in Thailand...how dastardly sneaky of them...surely this practice of posting signs in a country's own language in that country is something only done in Thailand and nowhere else :o:blink:

Did you notice that the location was an INTERNATIONAL airport?

Meaning what? BK is under some obligation to print their promotional brochures used in Thailand (even those used an INTERNATIONAL airport) in languages other than Thai?

OK, if that's the case, surely they should start with Mandarin, Cantonese, and Hindi as these are the most widely spoken languages in the world.

So I can delete my mental image of you eating a vegemite sandwich on home made bread. :D:D :jap:

:lol: :lol:

Yah, you can certainly delete THAT image. Vegemite and Marmite? I HATE that stuff. But my first wife from Tasmania loved it. I couldn't even stand the smell. I love home made bread, though. I make great sandwiches out of fresh cooked chicken or ham and Canadian chedder cheese. Unfortunately, in Thailand you can't buy cheese without remortgaging the house.

Ian, I have several packs of Lake District Extra Mature (from UK) - I can send you a photograph if it helps ! :lol:

there were 2 prices for the same order, one for Thai and one for farang?

or

there was an item menu that is available to farang and thai but it is advertised only in thai language and w/ thai numerals?

Either way it is bad form and very surprising for Burger King.

The second one. I was very surprised myself.

threads such as these bring out the conspiracy theorists.

it would be discriminatory of all menu prices were cheaper for Thai's.

Fancy that, a poster written in Thai, in Thailand.

Next they'll be claiming all Thai's actually speak English, but just refuse to do so. As if Thailand is France or something...

;)

Now I believe anything in Thailand but by your description this shop is among the Top supermarkets in Thailand.

They'll be asking for a passport to get thier loyalty card next. Oops, sorry, they do!!

BUT are you aware that many goods are dual priced and the lower one applies to the loyalty card.

I don't get your point. My wife has a TOPS card. She is a Kiwi.

Next they'll be claiming all Thai's actually speak English, but just refuse to do so. As if Thailand is France or something...

;)

Imagine how foreigners feel when they visit the UK. I am surprised they don't die of starvation - there must be some who, like mant Brits, are stupid enough not to learn another language. :whistling:

I thought he meant the other market across the street. Its true the Tops card is open to anyone and if you don't use it, you will pay a higher price on some items. If it was Tops, that explains it, and the clerk was just daft as it has nothing to do with being Thai or not. A lot of times people forget the cards and just tell the clerk their phone number which I assume is linked to card in their system. Perhaps they even give breaks to any Thai local who gives their phone number, don't know as I always bring my card.

Edited by Jingthing

I think it is pretty obvious that their normal airport prices (250 baht or so) are a bit over the top for most Thais. So, they offer a reasonably priced meal for that segment and try to keep it a secret from the ignorant masses. Sneaky.

Now I believe anything in Thailand but by your description this shop is among the Top supermarkets in Thailand.

They'll be asking for a passport to get thier loyalty card next. Oops, sorry, they do!!

BUT are you aware that many goods are dual priced and the lower one applies to the loyalty card.

I was hoping not to reveal the supermarket name directly.

Go look at the meat counter for a start, you'll frequently see dual priced items especially on goods getting close to the expiry date.

The lower price is for owners of the SPOT card. I'm English and I've got a card too but still needed my passport when I appled for it.

;)

Imagine how foreigners feel when they visit the UK. I am surprised they don't die of starvation - there must be some who, like mant Brits, are stupid enough not to learn another language. :whistling:

Most of 'em feel at home.....except the Aussies and Canadians....we just can't stomach your cuisine I'm afraid. Sorry for that. ;)

You can get a chicken or pork burger at 7-11 for 20 baht. Why pay more for something that ain't much better? I only go to a specific Mr Mikes because I can flirt with a certain girl. Other than that I'll stick with my 30 baht Kow Padt or Padt Thai.

Oh, I'm sorry, it was at the AIRPORT Burger King. The airports ALWAYS add another 100 baht onto EVERYTHING. That is why I mostly fly Thai air or Bangkok air. They have a lounge where you can eat for free and rest in comfort while waiting for your flight. It's either that or I pack a sandwich BEFORE I leave for the airport if I'm flying on one of the cheaper, no frills flights.

Yes, but that is only for business class travellars as far as TG is concerned, not sure about Bangkok Air though.

Your comments also seem to fly in the face of your post #26.

Edited by mallyrd

It depends on the sandwich! I remember once I broke out a fantastic muffaletta on departure from New Orleans and people all around me including the flight attendants were visibly jealous to the point of salivation.

post-37101-0-12838600-1297253373_thumb.j

Oh JT, you velly velly hansum man!! be careful walking the streets or them beauties are gonna get into a fight over you...:D

You can get a chicken or pork burger at 7-11 for 20 baht. Why pay more for something that ain't much better? I only go to a specific Mr Mikes because I can flirt with a certain girl. Other than that I'll stick with my 30 baht Kow Padt or Padt Thai.

Oh, I'm sorry, it was at the AIRPORT Burger King. The airports ALWAYS add another 100 baht onto EVERYTHING. That is why I mostly fly Thai air or Bangkok air. They have a lounge where you can eat for free and rest in comfort while waiting for your flight. It's either that or I pack a sandwich BEFORE I leave for the airport if I'm flying on one of the cheaper, no frills flights.

Yes, but that is only for business class travellars as far as TG is concerned, not sure about Bangkok Air though.

Bangkok Airways has an economy class lounge (unless you're travelling to Samui but that's a whole thread in inself). ;)

Go look at the meat counter for a start, you'll frequently see dual priced items especially on goods getting close to the expiry date.

The lower price is for owners of the SPOT card. I'm English and I've got a card too but still needed my passport when I appled for it.

Thais also need their ID card when applying for it. I have one too, but technically it's my girlfriend's as I didn't have my passport. They just need someones ID to make the card.

Burger King printing the prices of some menu items only in Thai numerals is clearly a scam. Roman numerals have replaced Thai numbers almost everywhere, their main commercial use is in the tourist areas to hide the price of items from foreigners so they won't complain about being robbed.

Last time I was in Burger I ordered the same cheap pork burger in OP and it was advertised in Thai writing with roman numerals as is standard everywhere now, the only reason they changed it for the airport is so that foreigners won't know that the cheaper option is available. Tasted about the same as the more expensive beef burger to me anyway.

I revealed nothing, you mentioned Tops supermarket first...perhaps you were trying to be cryptic, but it was a piss poor attempt at it.

As for the passport, I really don't think you 'get' how Thailand works.

To apply for just about anything in Thailand you need form of ID. For Thai's, the acceptable form is the ID card, which by law Thai's need to carry at all times. It has your ID number, photo and address all in one.

If you aren't Thai, what is the alternative? A choice of PR documents if you have PR, drivers license, yellow tabieen baan, or if you have none of these, then your passport and a letter from your embassy showing your address.

I don't see how they are singling you out for discrimination based on the fact that you had to show your ID to apply for something. Just.the.same.as.everyone.else.

But, for some reason you call this discrimination. No buddy, it would be discrimination if you weren't allowed to apply.

Thais also need their ID card when applying for it. I have one too, but technically it's my girlfriend's as I didn't have my passport. They just need someones ID to make the card.

Burger King printing the prices of some menu items only in Thai numerals is clearly a scam. Roman numerals have replaced Thai numbers almost everywhere, their main commercial use is in the tourist areas to hide the price of items from foreigners so they won't complain about being robbed.

Last time I was in Burger I ordered the same cheap pork burger in OP and it was advertised in Thai writing with roman numerals as is standard everywhere now, the only reason they changed it for the airport is so that foreigners won't know that the cheaper option is available. Tasted about the same as the more expensive beef burger to me anyway.

Roman numerals have replaced Thai ones??? When have you ever seen any price written in Roman numerals? Sheesh :o

1,2,3 etc. are Hindu/Arabic numerals for all of you who don't know, I have never heard of "falang" numerals :lol:

Guess you have been in Thailand too long

Roman numerals have replaced Thai ones??? When have you ever seen any price written in Roman numerals? Sheesh :o

1,2,3 etc. are Hindu/Arabic numerals for all of you who don't know, I have never heard of "falang" numerals :lol:

Guess you have been in Thailand too long

Oops :lol:

I got told the evil french and germans also write things in their own language instead of the one and only language...how evil.

If it was 2 different prices, one for Thais and one for non-Thais, it would be a scam. It's not, it's just a product that is more appealing to Thais being advertised to Thais. I can't imagine many westerners would be particularly thrilled by a pork, bacon and cheese burger, just like they wouldn't for a triple stuffed crust cheese, sausage and ketchup pizza or whatever other monstrosity is currently doing the rounds at Pizza Hut. These are both examples of products geared towards Thais and marketed as such.

Any westerner could still order these items if they wanted to and pay the same price as Thais do, so what's the big deal?