Sneaky Burger King

maesai

Flew out of Don Muang the other day. Stopped by Burger King for a bite. All the combo meals were over 200 baht except for one shown on a poster. Written only in Thai (including the price). 145 baht for a pork, bacon, & cheese burger with fries and a drink. Guess they didn't want the wealthy farang to know about that one. Also, the kid handing out fliers for it was only giving them to Thais. Had to ask him for one. Rather sneaky, if you ask me. <_<

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that too. The fact that the price was in written Thai script was a little like visiting National Parks, where the Thai price is cleverly written in Thai script.

Wow...imagine that...writing signs in Thai in Thailand...how dastardly sneaky of them...surely this practice of posting signs in a country's own language in that country is something only done in Thailand and nowhere else :o:blink:

Fair comment, but it is rather noticeable that Thailand is quite happy to use "farang" numerals for many, many things, but not so happy to do so when dual pricing is in effect.

I saw that too. The fact that the price was in written Thai script was a little like visiting National Parks, where the Thai price is cleverly written in Thai script.

Wow...imagine that...writing signs in Thai in Thailand...how dastardly sneaky of them...surely this practice of posting signs in a country's own language in that country is something only done in Thailand and nowhere else :o:blink:

Epic fail.

Take of those rose tinted specs.

• Like 1

Epic fail.

you're so right !

Is it that difficult to understand that people wish to speak their own language in their own country ?

You make an effort, you get a discount, that's what I would call a good incentive, right ?

Edited by JurgenG

You can get a chicken or pork burger at 7-11 for 20 baht. Why pay more for something that ain't much better? I only go to a specific Mr Mikes because I can flirt with a certain girl. Other than that I'll stick with my 30 baht Kow Padt or Padt Thai.

Oh, I'm sorry, it was at the AIRPORT Burger King. The airports ALWAYS add another 100 baht onto EVERYTHING. That is why I mostly fly Thai air or Bangkok air. They have a lounge where you can eat for free and rest in comfort while waiting for your flight. It's either that or I pack a sandwich BEFORE I leave for the airport if I'm flying on one of the cheaper, no frills flights.

Edited by IanForbes

You can get a chicken or pork burger at 7-11 for 20 baht. Why pay more for something that ain't much better? I only go to a specific Mr Mikes because I can flirt with a certain girl. Other than that I'll stick with my 30 baht Kow Padt or Padt Thai.

Oh, I'm sorry, it was at the AIRPORT Burger King. The airports ALWAYS add another 100 baht onto EVERYTHING. That is why I mostly fly Thai air or Bangkok air. They have a lounge where you can eat for free and rest in comfort while waiting for your flight. It's either that or I pack a sandwich BEFORE I leave for the airport if I'm flying on one of the cheaper, no frills flights.

But I am sure you appreciate Ian, not everyone wants khao pad or pad tThai - it is why they look for BK, McD or KFC signage (and menus in English).

Always personal choice but I think pulling out your own sandwich on a flight makes you look a bit of a ............

But I am sure you appreciate Ian, not everyone wants khao pad or pad tThai - it is why they look for BK, McD or KFC signage (and menus in English).

Always personal choice but I think pulling out your own sandwich on a flight makes you look a bit of a ............

Smart arse? I would think that for a second until I see what the airline offered me....then the only feeling would be one of envy....the Bangkok Airways lounges are good although if you pile your plate too high and listen carefully you can hear a low murmur of pumpui from the lovely young ladies.....:o:D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I refuse to eat at airports or purchase anything in airports. They are all a ripoff. That includes ANY airport in any country. I'm quite happy eating my home made sandwich BEFORE I get on the plane. Most flights offer some sort of meal or snack anyway. The only ones that don't are the cheap charlie flights. I only fly cheap charlie flights if their schedule fits my schedule perfectly. I balance out what I pay for the value I get. You don't get value for your money in airports.

Oh, and I DO enjoy a good burger from time to time. I just want it to suit my surroundings and not have it forced on me as the only option.

[

I refuse to eat at airports or purchase anything in airports. They are all a ripoff. That includes ANY airport in any country. I'm quite happy eating my home made sandwich BEFORE I get on the plane. Most flights offer some sort of meal or snack anyway. The only ones that don't are the cheap charlie flights. I only fly cheap charlie flights if their schedule fits my schedule perfectly. I balance out what I pay for the value I get. You don't get value for your money in airports.

Oh, and I DO enjoy a good burger from time to time. I just want it to suit my surroundings and not have it forced on me as the only option.

Actually, if you order the meal that is secretly intended for Thais, the price if very close to non-airport Burger Kings.

Epic fail.

you're so right !

Is it that difficult to understand that people wish to speak their own language in their own country ?

You make an effort, you get a discount, that's what I would call a good incentive, right ?

Can you really not recognise the deceit?

I know its a bit off topic but talk about decite, I walked into the big shop on the corner of second road and Patty Clang to do some shopping. I saw some cornflakes , they where priced very cheaply . I thought i would buy a packet along with my other bits of shopping,When i got to the checkout and the girl rang them through the till the price came up as nearly double. i asked why , the girl openly said "you not Thai". i said I live here, She called over the manage, he wanted my address and to see my passport believe it or not , at the point i said "don't bother keep all your stuff" and left them without paying, and where they where. I have never been ask to produce my passport before when i have tried to buy cornflakes.

........ It's either that or I pack a sandwich BEFORE I leave for the airport if I'm flying on one of the cheaper, no frills flights.

Oh poor thing. Never mind laddie - one day you'll grow up and not give a monkeys about what people think of such a trivial thing :rolleyes:

I know its a bit off topic but talk about decite, I walked into the big shop on the corner of second road and Patty Clang to do some shopping. I saw some cornflakes , they where priced very cheaply . I thought i would buy a packet along with my other bits of shopping,When i got to the checkout and the girl rang them through the till the price came up as nearly double. i asked why , the girl openly said "you not Thai". i said I live here, She called over the manage, he wanted my address and to see my passport believe it or not , at the point i said "don't bother keep all your stuff" and left them without paying, and where they where. I have never been ask to produce my passport before when i have tried to buy cornflakes.

&lt;deleted&gt;?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So I can delete my mental image of you eating a vegemite sandwich on home made bread. :D :D :jap:

Can you really not recognise the deceit?

Where you see deceits I see opportunities

We will maybe seated next to each other in the same aircraft in the future but never ask how much I paid for my seat

Life sucks

I know

I mean, I heard ....

So I can delete my mental image of you eating a vegemite sandwich on home made bread. :D:D :jap:

:lol: :lol:

Yah, you can certainly delete THAT image. Vegemite and Marmite? I HATE that stuff. But my first wife from Tasmania loved it. I couldn't even stand the smell. I love home made bread, though. I make great sandwiches out of fresh cooked chicken or ham and Canadian chedder cheese. Unfortunately, in Thailand you can't buy cheese without remortgaging the house.

Now I believe anything in Thailand but by your description this shop is among the Top supermarkets in Thailand.

They'll be asking for a passport to get thier loyalty card next. Oops, sorry, they do!!

BUT are you aware that many goods are dual priced and the lower one applies to the loyalty card.