Sneaky Burger King

maesai

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I never cease to be impressed and amazed at how such a simple few lines of original posting about a piece of dead animal and its price can rapidly generate record number of insightful, humorous, educational and contentious replies in just a few hours.

Did you contemplate that all this would come out of your post, Masai? Well done, either way.

I can't imagine many westerners would be particularly thrilled by a pork, bacon and cheese burger

I had one a couple days ago, it was great. Of course lots of foreigners would like it, many would order it over the beef since it's so much cheaper and tastes the same...which Burger King at the airport does not want. Many Thais don't eat a lot of beef and wouldn't buy the expensive one anyway, so they advertise a cheaper one to them and hide it from everyone else.

If it was 2 different prices, one for Thais and one for non-Thais, it would be a scam. It's not, it's just a product that is more appealing to Thais being advertised to Thais. I can't imagine many westerners would be particularly thrilled by a pork, bacon and cheese burger, just like they wouldn't for a triple stuffed crust cheese, sausage and ketchup pizza or whatever other monstrosity is currently doing the rounds at Pizza Hut. These are both examples of products geared towards Thais and marketed as such.

Any westerner could still order these items if they wanted to and pay the same price as Thais do, so what's the big deal?

I agree. Much ado about nothing...a tempest in a teapot.

No brainer. I knew this would stir things up around here. Heh heh. B)

:jap: :jap: :jap:

So did I. :lol:

Yah gotta have a good laugh to start the day. :jap:

Damm.. after hearing this i am going to leave Thailand that will teach em :D

I do hate dual pricing but this is not real dual pricing it would be if i had to pay a different price.

Always personal choice but I think pulling out your own sandwich on a flight makes you look a bit of a ............

Sliding off-topic, but I love a turkey dinner and usually make one when I am back in the US. And the best part of a turkey dinner is the sandwiches the next day. On many occasions, I have made sandwiches and brought them along with me on my flight back to Thailand, even when flying business class. As far as making me "look like a bit of a ............," I usually get comments asking if I have another one I can give up. :)

No brainer. I knew this would stir things up around here. Heh heh. B)

:jap: :jap: :jap:

So did I. :lol:

Yah gotta have a good laugh to start the day. :jap:

Damm.. after hearing this i am going to leave Thailand that will teach em :D

I do hate dual pricing but this is not real dual pricing it would be if i had to pay a different price.

Nobody said it was dual pricing - just sneaky.

I can't imagine many westerners would be particularly thrilled by a pork, bacon and cheese burger

I had one a couple days ago, it was great. Of course lots of foreigners would like it, many would order it over the beef since it's so much cheaper and tastes the same...which Burger King at the airport does not want. Many Thais don't eat a lot of beef and wouldn't buy the expensive one anyway, so they advertise a cheaper one to them and hide it from everyone else.

STOP PRESS.

Burger King sell Thai marketed burger to farang for the Thai price.

Well blow me down, Joe

STOP PRESS.

Burger King sell Thai marketed burger to farang for the Thai price.

Well blow me down, Joe

At the Burger King I ate at, it was marketed to everyone. They weren't hiding its existence to certain groups of people

I know its a bit off topic but talk about decite, I walked into the big shop on the corner of second road and Patty Clang to do some shopping. I saw some cornflakes , they where priced very cheaply . I thought i would buy a packet along with my other bits of shopping,When i got to the checkout and the girl rang them through the till the price came up as nearly double. i asked why , the girl openly said "you not Thai". i said I live here, She called over the manage, he wanted my address and to see my passport believe it or not , at the point i said "don't bother keep all your stuff" and left them without paying, and where they where. I have never been ask to produce my passport before when i have tried to buy cornflakes.

<deleted>?

"Patty Clang"

Brilliant. Plan to use that one of these days. :thumbsup:

Surely if you've been here a while you'll know that the marked price in Burger King is just the initial 'asking price', and surely you can usually haggle a good 50 baht or so off that? More, if you offer to pay cash.

SC

And, of course, the staff will usually agree to meet you later for no charge if you ask nicely. :lol:

Surely if you've been here a while you'll know that the marked price in Burger King is just the initial 'asking price', and surely you can usually haggle a good 50 baht or so off that? More, if you offer to pay cash.

SC

And, of course, the staff will usually agree to meet you later for no charge if you ask nicely. :lol:

If I'd known that I'd have said 'please', instead of having to pay...

No, seriously, the conversation went like this:

Me: Whopper Meal please

Server: 250 baht

Me: 150 for cash?

Server: Do you want to step outside?

I declined, as he was not my type...

SC

I was recently at BK at Chiang MAi airport. A western tourist asked for a whopper only. She told the staff clearly and politely that staff that she didn't want the french fries or the sugar laden drink.

Reply; 'cannot, have to be set'. So she asked what burger she could buy, with no extras. Answer, 'have to be set'. She walked away.

In fact just five minutes before, I had ordered, in Thai language, a whopper only. Usual encouragement to buy the full set which I declined and I walked away with burger only.

I was recently at BK at Chiang MAi airport. A western tourist asked for a whopper only. She told the staff clearly and politely that staff that she didn't want the french fries or the sugar laden drink.

Reply; 'cannot, have to be set'. So she asked what burger she could buy, with no extras. Answer, 'have to be set'. She walked away.

In fact just five minutes before, I had ordered, in Thai language, a whopper only. Usual encouragement to buy the full set which I declined and I walked away with burger only.

Have it your way?

Well that's their loss then, so a strange attitude. Assuming BK makes a profit on everything they sell, doing that would mean they've lost out on potential sales and profit. Giving BK the benefit of the doubt, one possible scenario is that the staff have been encouraged to push for the set meals (just like in other outlets they might push for extra large meals, extra cheese in the Whoppers, etc.), and this particular employee took it a bit too far. I can't imagine BK would have a policy of outright refusing certain menu items which are listed and in stock.

Well that's their loss then, so a strange attitude. Assuming BK makes a profit on everything they sell, doing that would mean they've lost out on potential sales and profit. Giving BK the benefit of the doubt, one possible scenario is that the staff have been encouraged to push for the set meals (just like in other outlets they might push for extra large meals, extra cheese in the Whoppers, etc.), and this particular employee took it a bit too far. I can't imagine BK would have a policy of outright refusing certain menu items which are listed and in stock.

And all this is of course part of a grandly conspiracy between the RTG and large corporations (otherwise know as 'da man' or 'Big Brother') and poor sweet innocent foreigners ('Joe Mainstreet', 'average [Australians/Britons/Americans/insert nationality here]').

God forbid it couldn't be moronic BK cashier being paid 120 baht/day who doesn't know how to do her job, mis-communications due to language barriers on behalf of the customer, and god forbid, targeted marketing by a company.

Funny on that last one, it is thoroughly OK that we get highly targeted adverts via google adsense on our computers all day long, but when it is a burger company that is not trying to sell you a lard laden piece of offcuts mixed with sawdust - up go the cries of "SCAM" and "DISCRIMINATION!" from frankly, morons, who don't see how well they are actually treated compared to not only most other foreigners in Thailand, but also Thai's themselves.

Seriously, grow up people.

It makes sense that they would try to pull these kinds of shenanigans in the airport and not in other locations. At the airport most people are either just getting off a plane after a long flight or about to embark on one. They're tired, hungry, want something easy and familar to eat, most aren't familiar with the country, and there are extremely limited food options available to them, making them more vulnerable. So they can hide the cheap meal options from foreigners, and tell them they can only buy expensive sets and not individual burgers. Most people will just plunk down whatever amount. A handful will walk away, but the money you lose from them is very little compared with what you make by getting everyone to buy an expensive set. The handful of Thais and local foreigners that know whats up, just give them what they want

It makes sense that they would try to pull these kinds of shenanigans in the airport and not in other locations. At the airport most people are either just getting off a plane after a long flight or about to embark on one. They're tired, hungry, want something easy and familar to eat, most aren't familiar with the country, and there are extremely limited food options available to them, making them more vulnerable.

There's a Burger King in the arrivals area? Never seen it before...

**Newsflash** Dual-pricing out-of-control in Thailand! Unsuspecting farangs can expect to be overcharged for EVERYTHING that they purchase in Thailand. This includes all manner of items from gasoline to cat food to hookers. It's an epidemic I tell you! No farang will be spared! Our intelligence confirms that this epidemic will continue indefinitely, if not FOREVER. Those that are particularly bothered or have their "panties in a twist" over this new (well, maybe not that "new") development have but two options: (1) Don't purchase ANYTHING in Thailand ever again, or (2) leave the country immediately. And by "immediately," I don't mean today or tomorrow. I mean yesterday! Forget your belongings. Forget the wife and kids. Just get the <deleted> out now! You've been warned!

Sincerely,

The Farang Dual-Pricing Alert Agency

("We look out for your best interest so you don't have to!")

Disclaimer: Just couldn't help myself….:)

Must admit that using Thai script for the numerals sounds a bit tricky. After having been hereover 20 years that is not very often the case. Thais have been using arabic script for numerals for a longggggggggggg time.

But no doubt if you as afarang asked for the special set you would get it without problem.