Best School For Really Learning Thai

OK, I see that Walen and Pro Language have schools in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, and Phuket.

So, if I wanted to move about after I've paid my tuition, apparently - I would be able to live in any of these places, which is a nice option to have.

Can anyone recommend one of these schools over the other, and WHY?

I want a school that is not just an excuse for a visa, but one that actually does a good job of teaching advanced Thai language.

Or, if not one of the above, then which?

In order to reply WITHOUT just GUESSING, you obviously must have attended or known someone that attended a school, or had a look at the courses/curriculum, or something.

I don't want a school that teaches, "hello, how much, where", etc... After 2 years, I'm way past that. What school has an advanced studies ?

Chiang Mai university is 50,000 baht so I'm not interested in that one.

For an ED visa, If wanting to travel a bit, do these schools let you make up missed classes or can you "never leave town" ?

Again, an answer from personal experience would be nicer than a guess!

Thanks!

The only way for you to find out is to sit in on a class. I understand both schools you mentioned let you do that free of charge. For a start, you may want to look at these two topics:

Walen Or Pro Language?

Best Thai Language School

Good suggestion, but it's not the only way. Using the forum is another way!

And I can sit in on one class - but it is not the same as going for months to form an evaluation.

For example, 2 times, at 2 different schools, I have gone to "one class" and was okay, but after three weeks, I realized it was not very good.

I'm asking for the experience of people who have attended different schools. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links.

Thank you.

Does the other school have a school in Phuket? Never heard about it.

If you like "hi" and "hello" and karaoke Thai then the competition is definitely a better choice. If you want a school that will challenge your brain from day one try direct approach of Walen. Of course Walen is also providing first class ED visa assistance.

Walen School - what a challenge! Phuket Branch

www.thaiwalen.com

Please register for priority service.

http://dcs.walenschool.com/form_prospect.aspx?code=1walenmd&l=eng

Edited by macwalen

Dear walen - how many hours/days a week are required to satisfy the ED visa? for example at Chiang Mai university, one day a week is possible (I think 4 hours). This allows a lot of free time to the student.

If missing a class, can it be made up with homework, or attending extra class hours?

If changing from visa to ED visa, the first time, can I exit/re-enter at any normal checkpoint where "border runs" are done?

For example Mae Sai?

SO, If there's no karaoke thai, how are we to understand the thai alphabet without proper training, for example, learning all the consonants and vowels, their pronunciation, and rules and exceptions? Is all that taught?

Are there reading and writing exercises? Homework? Is it a Thai reading and writing class/course, or do you teach conversation, sentence structure, pronunciation technique (for example, how to pronounce non-roman vowels and consonants - perhaps the most difficult part of learning thai.)

If we can't read Thai, and without "karaoke Thai" to help remember the tone and pronunciation, how can we remember a new word, sentence, or phrase. How can we write it down or read it later?

For example, do you teach things like: "I know a man who would like to give you a job. "

And then I would like to learn/know how to say: "That is great. Can you give me his number so I can call him after I get my car repaired"?

If we can't read or write Thai, HOW to write it, or read it later to study it, repeat it, speak it and memorize it.

If you teach how to read and write Thai similar to how children learn, like using childrens books, then I understand the approach.

But my conversational skills are far beyond that already, and I want to build on that.

I'm sure it is not easy to answer all this.

I don't see anything wrong with using phonetic Thai TOGETHER WITH proper Thai and proper English, I think then you get the best of everything, the most flexibility, and it would be the fastest way to learn reading, writing, speaking, and understanding Thai.

I think phonetic Thai is great for people who cannot read and write Thai. Of course it is, there's absolutely nothing bad about it.

Even English words with no Thai translation - Thai people write in a kind of Karaoke English, like the word "Jeff".

And you charge a fee to change school locations?

thanks,

jeff

Dear walen - how many hours/days a week are required to satisfy the ED visa?

4 lessons a week.

If missing a class, can it be made up with homework, or attending extra class hours?

With homework yes but if you missed classes without taking a formal break you will lose them.

If changing from visa to ED visa, the first time, can I exit/re-enter at any normal checkpoint where "border runs" are done?

No, you will need to go to a Thai consulate. Laos is the most popular.

SO, If there's no karaoke thai, how are we to understand the thai alphabet without proper training, for example, learning all the consonants and vowels, their pronunciation, and rules and exceptions? Is all that taught?

Yes, we repeat and repeat and repeat so you will definitely learn to speak and read Thai.

Are there reading and writing exercises? Homework? Is it a Thai reading and writing class/course, or do you teach conversation, sentence structure, pronunciation technique (for example, how to pronounce non-roman vowels and consonants - perhaps the most difficult part of learning thai.)

You have your mp3 recordings and the book, no extra homework apart from what is in the Walen books as it is already a lot to learn.

If we can't read Thai, and without "karaoke Thai" to help remember the tone and pronunciation, how can we remember a new word, sentence, or phrase. How can we write it down or read it later?

Again, we repeat and repeat. You are welcome to come for a demonstration lesson in Chiangmai. It works, we have been teaching the method a few years now and our students are making incredible progress.

For example, do you teach things like: "I know a man who would like to give you a job. "

We teach a language introducing new words and how to use them, once you have sufficient vocabulary you will be able to say anything you like.

If we can't read or write Thai, HOW to write it, or read it later to study it, repeat it, speak it and memorize it.

Yes, you need to memorize a new language, it is not mathematics, if you do not know a word you will not be able to use it. More words you know easier it will become.

If you teach how to read and write Thai similar to how children learn, like using childrens books, then I understand the approach.

But my conversational skills are far beyond that already, and I want to build on that.

So that is a problem of a lot of students. In effect they have to relearn the language. That is the result in learning at some schools where Thai alphabet is introduced long after students can speak. Those schools produce illiterate students. It is clearly a wrong approach to teaching the Thai language.

I don't see anything wrong with using phonetic Thai TOGETHER WITH proper Thai and proper English, I think then you get the best of everything, the most flexibility, and it would be the fastest way to learn reading, writing, speaking, and understanding Thai.

That is not what we believe, we strongly promote learning the Thai alphabet right from the beginning, we do not use any phonetic Thai. It is the best way to learn, maybe a little slow at the beginning but it is amazing to see students after as little as 2-3 months being able to read Thai in Thai without any phonetics.

I think phonetic Thai is great for people who cannot read and write Thai. Of course it is, there's absolutely nothing bad about it.

Would you accept if you were teaching Thais to speak English but they would not know ABC.... because it was too difficult? Students only used Thai phonetics instead of learning to read in English? If any English teacher did that I would not consider him to be a good teacher.

Even English words with no Thai translation - Thai people write in a kind of Karaoke English, like the word "Jeff".

They write your name using Thai characters.

And you charge a fee to change school locations?

No, we do not charge for it, however if you wanted to transfer your paperwork from one branch of the Ministry of Education to another (without it extensions of you visa in a new location will not be possible) then we will charge 5,000 Baht as it is a lot of work. If you just want to study at other branches of Walen no problem at all.

Hope it helps

Walen School - we are different

www.thaiwalen.com

Please register for priority service

http://dcs.walenschool.com/form_prospect.aspx?code=1walenmd&l=eng

This is not a thread about the Thai language.

If you need to learn Thai and get an ED visa assistance then Walen is certainly a solid choice. Walen the first to discover that ED visa was applicable to studies at private language schools. With most ED visa cases processed we are undisputed experts in this field. At the moment we have student form 70 countries learning Thai. In a way Walen made learning Thai a lot more popular than it was just 3 years ago.

Walen School - learn Thai, ED visa assistance

www.thaiwalen.com

4 lessons a week.

That does not answer my question, so I'll try again.

1. How many hours is one lesson?

2. Do I have to come to school 4 times week for the 4 lessons?

3. Can I do the 4 lessons in one day and come once a week?

4. Is there flexibility like this or not?

thanks.

4 lessons a week.

That does not answer my question, so I'll try again.

1. How many hours is one lesson?

2. Do I have to come to school 4 times week for the 4 lessons?

3. Can I do the 4 lessons in one day and come once a week?

4. Is there flexibility like this or not?

thanks.

I should be more precise Khun Jeff :wai:

One lesson is 50 min. You need to attend 4 lessons a week. In Bangkok we have two options, either once a week for 4 lessons or twice a week for 2 lessons. In other locations we only have twice a week for 2 lessons schedule.

So it is not too flexible. Also you can see what times are available and choose which is the most convenient for you.

Hope it works for you.

www.thaiwalen.com

A bit OT

How does the 1 year ED visa work if you can't stay for the whole year? Say 9 months. Could you perhaps take more then 4 classes a week to make up for it? I'm assuming that you will get in trouble the next year if you want to take the educational route again (up to 3 years as mentioned on thaiwalen).

I actually emailed walen about this but didn't get reply so I was wondering if someone on the forum might know the answer to the question.

A bit OT

How does the 1 year ED visa work if you can't stay for the whole year? Say 9 months. Could you perhaps take more then 4 classes a week to make up for it? I'm assuming that you will get in trouble the next year if you want to take the educational route again (up to 3 years as mentioned on thaiwalen).

I actually emailed walen about this but didn't get reply so I was wondering if someone on the forum might know the answer to the question.

when I doubt, I find it 'helps' to make a new topic